+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The thoughts of Replicator Technician Onsott (Kriegspiel). T'Var keep out!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

About what I thought, but I was close to losing track. The board looks surprisingly empty with so many pawns gone, but I think I have taken at least one more Black piece than I have lost, and I think there are still Black pawns on the a-file, on e5 and f4, and on the h-file. The units on c4, e4 and c5 are a worry, and I cannot cover all of them in one move. I think maybe Qc2, then Nd3 and Bxe5 is the way to go. But it's far from clear-cut and I still haven't heard what T'Var's latest is.

Addendum: The ideal place for my Queen of course is d4, where she covers all three vulnerable units. Unfortunately I am convinced I dare not occupy d4!
    Last edited by Malacandra; 04 Jul 2012 at 04:08 PM.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Here are the captures to date if I've gleaned correctly from the game thread:

White takes on e5 (pawn assumed taken)
    Black takes on e5 (assumed pawn capturing from d6 as Black had a pawn capture available)
    White takes on c5 (pawn assumed taken)
    Black takes on c5 (assumed pawn capturing from b6, same comment)
    White takes on c6 (piece assumed taken as pawn taken on c5 previously and no prior captures to this file)
    Black takes on c6 (assumed piece capturing as d- and b- pawns already further advanced)
    Black takes on a4 (assumed piece capturing as b-pawn probably took earlier on c5)
    White takes on c5 (pawn assumed taken)
    Black takes on e4 (knight capturing since White is in Knight check and relieves it by
    White takes on e4 (knight taken)
    Black takes on e4 (piece assumed capturing as Black f-pawn is probably on f4 as an earlier pawn-capture notification went away, and it could not have been the d-pawn moving as d5 was occupied at the time.)
    White takes on e4 (piece assumed taken)
    White takes on c5 (diagonal-moving piece taken, assumed Bishop)

So I think I have taken three pawns and three pieces, including at least one Knight (possibly both) and one Bishop (Queen would be too much to ask for!)
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm... I think I should assume that one of Black's "You may not"s was an attempted pawn move to e4, in which case I am known to be still on that square. Black has no pawn that can take there nor on c5 so at least I have no serious cheap shots to fear. I think Black has her light Bishop still, both Rooks and her Queen, and pawns on the a, e, f, g and h files. They can't seriously harm me for now so logically I should keep the e4 Bishop protected and see if it is safe for me to play my other Bishop to a3 where it defends the Knight and blocks the run of Black's a-pawn... assuming it has not had time to run to a3 already, in which case I may find myself taking it and having my Bishop recaptured down the file! But that risk only increases with time, so, fortune favours the brave...
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Time to deploy my Queen. f3 looks like an excellent square where she protects both Bishops and has no enemy pawns to fear, nor anything sweeping down the file if I am right about the Black pawns. It still leaves my two Rooks protecting each other and allows her to support a possible foray onto b7.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

And now it looks like it's time for that foray - at least for now I want to keep the Bishop on e4 so that Black's putative e-pawn stays blocked. Similarly the Knight is on a good square and I don't want to decentralize it. It's a slight risk, but I think I need to start using my Rooks aggressively, and the b-file looks like a good place to start. Fingers crossed then...
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Aah, coded moves.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Just to keep things moving on a bit.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

And there goes another diagonal-mover on c5, so if I didn't have Black's Queen before, I do now.

Diagram again please.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That's another piece gone, but by my reckoning Black is down to two Rooks (one of which I guess has just taken on c5) and her light Bishop, meaning I am a Queen up for a pawn or two. And the more things stay that way the better I shall like it! Now I need to connect my Rooks and get them working effectively - and keep Black's pawns from making an end run.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Latest White Board

In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Of course, T'Var could have lost at least one Rook by now, or have a Knight left instead of the light Bishop I've been talking about - indeed it could be her Knight that just took on c5. But I can be certain that I have taken both her dark Bishop and her Queen (it's unclear which was first) since I have twice taken a piece that was checking me on a black diagonal from more than one square away. For the rest, I have posted my chain of assumptions already as to when I believe I have taken pieces and why, and I think it likely that when I took on c6 it was a Bishop that recaptured and later took on a4. One reason to keep my Queen, while she must move on white squares, safely behind my Bishop.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

And I am guessing that capture on c4 was the Rook that previously took on c5, though this is unproven. In that case I'm gaining on the deal even if Black retakes. Fingers crossed!
    Librarians rule, Oook

+ Reply to thread