+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pick your Mayor

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Pick your Mayor

The most prestigious Mayor's job in Britain is up for grabs in a few days and so for all the floating voters this quiz has been put together to match the voters with the policies they like and the politicians they came from.

See who you should vote for by policy, personality not withstanding.

Choose here

To my surprise, I came out mainly Tory and Green party

Anyone else?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Question 4, option B "use San Francisco style 'smart parking' ..." to help with congestion.

BWAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

HA.

Oh, lord, I needed a good laugh this morning.

I took the quiz and got 40% Green, 30% Labour - which makes vague sense considering what I know about Brit political parties. But it's not as if I'm deeply familiar with the issues being discussed.
    Last edited by Orual; 01 May 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

60% Green, 20% Liberal Democrat. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

Like Orual, though, I'm not particularly familiar with London issues anyway.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm actually a former Londoner. I lived in Hammersmith and attended classes near Oxford Circus in the fall of '85, during a college semester abroad.

The quiz gave me this result:

40% Boris Johnson
    20% Ken Livingstone
    20% Brian Paddick
    20% Jenny Jones

So clearly I don't know what the hell I was voting on!

Registered
    Mar 2009

So I ended up 30% Conservative and 30% Liberal Democrat.

I should not be involved in London politics.

Registered
    Feb 2009

to give a quick run down of the candidates.

Tory - Boris - Right Wing, probably more republican than democrat. Supporter of low taxes for millionaires and big business.
    Labour - Ken - Left Wing, probably on the US political scale under communist or subversive. Is a friend of Castro and Chavez, wants to take everyone's money and given it to minorities.
    Lib Dem - Paddick - Limp Left Wing. Take the most left wing democrat, move slightly further left, add a dash of naivity and hey presto
    Green - Jones - Eco Left Wing. Wants lots of green policy to protect the environment and lots of small businesses. Would fit in fine in California.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jan 2010

your mayor is...

30% Ken Livingstone
    30% Brian Paddick
    30% Jenny Jones
    10% Boris Johnson

Mayor type: Night mayor
    What creature have you created here? A policy or two from all the candidates and you end up with a multicoloured mutant. There is no one candidate for you, but you need to make a choice between your head and your ... three other heads
    Obviously I have have no idea at all.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Is Boris, as the colorfully idiosyncratic incumbent, favored to win?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Boris was not only favoured to win, but did so in spite of the current Tory troubles. It was closer than he probably wanted, but we have him for another 4 years.

By the looks of it, Ken Livingstone will be stepping down permanently from politics.

Registered
    Sep 2009

So I see: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...don-Mayor.html

Could Boris unseat Cameron as Tory leader and PM midterm, do you think, or does this win simply make him heir apparent for whenever Cameron chooses to step down?

And do the Lib Dems' losses suggest it was a mistake for them to enter a coalition with the Conservatives?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't think Boris could unseat Cameron, but it does put him in a strong position. It also weakens Osborne quite a bit as he is responsible for their electoral strategy and the budget that cause most of the problems and ill-will in the first place.

It was right for the Lib-Dems to go into coalition like this, but they screwed themselves over by certain policy shifts. Unfortunately, they have not made clear what is Lib Dem policy and not Tory policy and are all being tarred with the same brush. It doesn't help when general sentiment across the country is opposite to that held by the Lib Dems and that the new party of protest is now UKIP.

They also lost the AV argument, which was one of their main concessions for going into government.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    ...They also lost the AV argument, which was one of their main concessions for going into government.
    Thanks. Explain that in a nutshell, please?

Registered
    Feb 2009

The AV Argument. Current voting in the UK is done by FPTP, first past the post. The country is broken into constituencies and everyones votes locally. The person with the most votes wins the constituency.

As part of their cost for joining the coalition, the Lib Dems insisted on a referendum being held about a change to the system from FPTP to AV, Alternative Vote. In this one, the lowest candidate in each round, have their votes redistributed to the other people until one person has more than half of the total votes. It was believed it would give them an advantage and help them to win more constituencies.

However, when the referendum came around they were, quite frankly, blase and expecting everyone to just fall in line. The campaign against ran a highly focused campaign, including several major tory figures including DC. The final vote was approx 70% no/30% yes and the end to changing it for quite a while.

The major reason for going in and hopefully getting more seats next time round, gone within a couple of years of being part of the coalition. Some Lib Dems have never forgiven DC for actually taking part in the No campaign.

+ Reply to thread