+ Reply to thread

Thread: HELP! Ink on photos...how do I get it off?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default HELP! Ink on photos...how do I get it off?

Mom sent a bunch of family photos to my sister and me, as we're putting together a slideshow for their 50th anniversary party thos summer. Unfortunately, she numbered them on the back...I think with a Sharpie...and ink smeared on the photos when she stacked them up. Anyone know of a way to remove the ink without wrecking the photos? We are a bit desperate to get it fixed without having to let onto mom what happened.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm not sure if this will work or not, but when I was cleaning up photographs after the house fire I used a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol. It worked pretty well and the alcohol dried quickly, so it didn't damage the pictures.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks, Z...I will try it. Cross your fingers!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Let me know if it works. I'm really hoping, because it sucks mightily to have old family photos damaged.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Best of luck Sarah!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Acetone is great for removing Sharpie...but I'm also not sure what it would do to the photos.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm going to go over to my sister's tomorrow, armed with rubbing alcohol, to help her work on them. I also read on the internet that you can try coloring over the marks with a dry-erase marker, and then wiping it away...apparently it will take the permanent ink with it. We're going to do a bit of testing and see if we can fix them up. Will keep you guys posted!

+ Reply to thread