+ Reply to thread

Thread: Oh my God. Do not trifle with Chinese social policy.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Oh my God. Do not trifle with Chinese social policy.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...200726036.html

Please make special note of the "slogans" that are now being replaced
    with softer language.

Charming.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"Please get rid of the alcohol and cigarettes before you plan to be a father."
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

And people wonder why I worry about the Chinese beating us back to the Moon. Just sayin'.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I still think their policy is the correct one and I wish India and Indonesia and others would do something about their continuing pop explosion. But it sure is hard to support a policy with such slogans as they had.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I still think their policy is the correct one and I wish India and Indonesia and others would do something about their continuing pop explosion. But it sure is hard to support a policy with such slogans as they had.
    I never said that there was anything wrong with trying to control the population explosion. Its all in how they're going about it that's concerning.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hey, that was a general response, not aimed at your post. No worries I hope.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Holy shit.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I still think their policy is the correct one and I wish India and Indonesia and others would do something about their continuing pop explosion. [Bolding mine]But it sure is hard to support a policy with such slogans as they had.
    Wait, what population explosion is that you are talking about in Indonesia? The country is actually famous in population control circles for its remarkably effective social marketing effort to encourage people to limit their families. At one point in the 1970s, they even had a 100 rupiah coin with a "KB" motif. (KB = keluarga berencana, or "family planning.")

While I occasionally run into a taxi driver who boasts about his 5 kids, virtually all the Indonesians I know limit their families to 2 kids. Yes, the population is growing, but it is hardly "exploding." The real concern for Indonesia is not population growth (actually, the size of the consumer market is a positive thing in many ways, as it attracts investment), but whether economic growth can keep pace with the need for job creation as so many Indonesians are entering the job market.

See the link below for some indication of how Indonesia has gotten its growth rate under control.

http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...ulation+growth

Registered
    Feb 2009

Current Pop of Indonesia is now 237M. In 1990 it was 179M. So if it is now slowing down that is great but I read that they will pass the US in 20 years. The actual land mass is not really all that large for the population. They are 4th currently overall and I think 15th in land size. But hey, they are nothing compared to India.

Registered
    Mar 2009

And in 1990 the US population was 248.7 million, and now it is 313.1 million.

So what if Indonesia's population surpasses that of the US in 20 years? Where is it written that the US population has to be larger than certain other countries? In fact, given that our consumption of resources per capita is much higher than a lot of other countries, it might be good for the planet if we drop a few places in the rankings.

The landmass argument is a red herring unless you really know what you are talking about. Java is densely populated, but many rural areas have very low population densities. The issues are about distribution, not growth, and the solutions lie in proper urban planning. There's also talk of moving the seat of government out of Jakarta; I don't know if that will ever happen, but it is representative of the sort of practical solutions to overcrowding that address the actual problems.

A population growth rate of around 1%, which Indonesia has, is not a "population explosion" and is not inherently a cause for alarm.

Registered
    Feb 2009

OK, I withdraw Indonesia.

Registered
    Mar 2009

OK, I withdraw Indonesia.
    What? How dare you concede? I just spent the last 45 minutes running on the treadmill, thinking about my next line of argument.

Spoilsport.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm sorry but a 1% growth rate is not an explosion, I don't like to argue with reality. You convinced me the problem has changed.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hatshepsut View post
    What? How dare you concede? I just spent the last 45 minutes running on the treadmill, thinking about my next line of argument.
    I am deeply alarmed by Indonesia's population problem!!! There you go

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    I am deeply alarmed by Indonesia's population problem!!! There you go
    Why, you .... ! ! !

Eh, never mind. Let's get back to the OP, or at least move slightly in that direction. I can't speak for all of Asia, but it does seem that the heavy-handed Chinese pronouncements, while more threatening than anything else I've seen, do reflect a tendency for governments in this part of the world to offer up simplistic, scolding propaganda with zero wit.

Well, maybe unintentional wit is a better characterization. We went to a movie in Singapore once and saw a short prepared by the government that was trying to encourage people to have more kids. They had attractive, totally plastic actors doing a Chinese-style and utterly unconvincing "Leave it to Beaver" scene of family togetherness - I think a dad was putting to bed an adorable child, while mom looked fondly on and little brother giggled adorably. The sound track was a "happy-happy-joy-joy" affair with lyrics something like, "Children make you happy, you will be happy if you have more children, have more children, tra-la-la, the government will pay you if you have children, happy children, tra-la-la."
    Last edited by Hatshepsut; 29 Feb 2012 at 08:25 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As to the OP: Communist oligarchs tend not to be too warm and fuzzy.

Registered
    Mar 2009

And if you choose suicide we will ask you rope or poison. Yikes!
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

There is no Pravda in Izvestiya and there is no Izvestiya in Pravda

+ Reply to thread