Not trailers for bad movies, but trailers that mismarket movies. Not intentionally, either.

Inspired by the Obscure movie rec thread in which I went looking for the trailer for Nobody knows.

Link to the trailer:

The movie is an emotionally wrenching story of neglected children, made more powerful by the director's great technique in drawing the audience into the children's world, where they aren't as aware of their plight as we are. The trailer makes it come off like some uplifting story about coming together as a family against all odds (misdelivered by a voice actor who almost sounds like he's reading for a comedy). Honestly, I wish this was one of those joke trailers, but it's not. This is what they though would attract audiences.

Doubly insulting because in real life and in the movie
Spoiler (mouseover to read):
a child died. No, they did not all die. But they did not come together and learn to live on their own. They were neglected, malnourished and would likely have died had it continued much longer. I want to punch whoever made that trailer in the face.

Another misleading trailer I can recall is , which focuses on only a single character and an event which is a rather minor part of the movie. It makes it seem as if the whole story is a quirky comedy about boys in a new land escaping an arranged marriage; it's a whole lot more than that.