+ Reply to thread

Thread: Obscure movie recommendations

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Obscure movie recommendations

Last night my wife and I watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil. It's based on the typical horror movie trope of a bunch of douchey college kids on vacation being slaughtered by psycho hillbillies.

Only, in fact the hillbillies are a couple of amiable and harmless fellows, and it's the college kids' own paranoia and stupidity that leads to them being slaughtered.

It's a fun little movie that I'm happy to recommend to anyone.

Anybody else got something like this?

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Feast of Love, a modern-day adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream that, in spite of a pretty big-name cast, kind of disappeared on release. I really enjoyed it.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quirky and engaging.

"I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Local Hero is a perfect movie but little known. A fish out of water 80s tale. It is a mostly Irish cast with 2 major American roles. I cannot recommend it enough. Quirky, funny, sweet and smart.

Secret of Rone Inish (spelling may off) is a great family movie involving a selkie. Again a very smart Irish film.

On the same track I will add Waking Ned Devine and very funny movie.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Saving Grace" is another great small movie. It is from 2000 and about an English widow with finacial issues. So she turns to growing pot. Much better then "Weeds".

Bonus is Craig Ferguson.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Another fun, quirky movie I enjoyed.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post

Another fun, quirky movie I enjoyed.
    "The Englishman that ..." was a pretty good movie too. I enjoyed it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just to balance out the British influence in this thread, a few non-English:

Goodbye, Lenin![German] - An East German woman goes into a coma and misses the fall of Communism. When she wakes up years later, her son must pretend it never happened. The premise sounds a bit far-fetched, but it's good-natured comedy. It pokes fun at Ostalgie (a German portmanteau of 'east' and 'nostalgia' to mean nostalgia some had for East Germany), and as it goes on reveals a more complex and touching mother-son relationship.

Nobody Knows(Dare mo shiranai)[Japanese] - Based on an actual incident when a mother abandoned her four children to the care of the eldest, a 14-year-old; they managed to keep their situation secret for months. The movie fantastically captures the lives of the children.

Kontroll[Hungarian] - Subway ticket control officers working the night shift. It's slick, moody and darkly comic, bordering on the surreal at times [I tried to avoid the 'trippy' pun].
    Last edited by parzival; 16 Feb 2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: fixed bolding

Registered
    Mar 2009

I was thinking it might be neat to include trailers if they're still around and then I saw the Nobody Knows trailer (Don't watch if you haven't seen it because it is one of the worst piece of shit misrepresentations of the movie imaginable [youtube: fFgz-tE09_k ) and I'm so pissed off right now.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The oddest movie Netflix ever recommended to me

Weird as hell, but surprisingly enjoyable. Vaguely in the neighborhood of a low-budget Mirrormask. Which, now that I think of it, could also stand to be seen by more people.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The does a better job of it.

reminds me that she's out less than a year, which I recall now is important to the plot.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ink is ... yeah. It's good, though.

I should probably check out Mirrormask.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by parzival View post
    Nobody Knows(Dare mo shiranai)[Japanese] - Based on an actual incident when a mother abandoned her four children to the care of the eldest, a 14-year-old; they managed to keep their situation secret for months. The movie fantastically captures the lives of the children.
    I saw a movie very like that a few years ago. The mother ended up caught up in a real estate scam and incarcerated and the kids went looking for her or then their grandmother. Sadly I cannot remember the name of the movie. It was very well done though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Tune in Tomorrow is an odd little movie that I quite like. Don't be turned off by the presence of Keanu Reeves -- he's not annoying, although his performance is no better than his performances ever are.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Local Hero is Scottish.

I Went Down
    is a quirky, funny Irish road movie starring Brendan Gleeson.
    The Butcher Boy is a funny but disturbing film about a young boy's mental decline and the bloody results.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think Repo! The Genetic Opera is still obscure. It's worth a watch, although I'm not sure how well it stands up to repeated viewings. Certainly one of the more...unique musicals I've seen.

+ Reply to thread