+ Reply to thread

Thread: Name an artist that is super successful and respected that you just really don't like.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Name an artist that is super successful and respected that you just really don't like.

Mine's Elton John. He's a talented musician and all, but I just really don't like his stuff. I think most of his hit songs kind of suck, actually. And there are a lot of artists whose music isn't particularly what I'm into, but I can see why people like them. With him, I really don't get it.

Anyone else got one?

Registered
    Apr 2009

Tom Jones, always despised him.
    Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Eric Clapton. Ugh. Never liked any of his stuff.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't actually dislike Bob Dylan, but I don't really appreciate his stuff, either.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Doors
    Led Zeppelin
    The Police
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Morrissey. He does absolutely nothing for me and his voice and lyrics are occasionally actively irritating.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen. Their music claws at my ears like horrible nightmare creatures from Hell. Or Jersey.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Morrissey. He does absolutely nothing for me and his voice and lyrics are occasionally actively irritating.
    Boo-urns.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Dave Grohl. I think he's interesting and funny and I always enjoy clips of him talking about music that OCS shows me, but damn, I do not enjoy the Foo Fighters.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Since she just near-swept the Grammys, maybe now would be time for me to nominate Adele. I simply don't find anything about her to be above average, and I don't see anything about her that's a "breath of fresh air," as she is so frequently described, other than the fact that she's a white girl with a vaguely soul/gospelly sounding voice.

find me at Goodreads

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen. Their music claws at my ears like horrible nightmare creatures from Hell. Or Jersey.
    Well Billy is a Long Island kid and Hey! Stop that!

Honestly many artists and groups would make my list.
    Start with Madonna if she counts as respected.
    The whole Grunge/Seattle sound, (Sorry Sarah, but you already knew that anyway)
    I hold my vote on Adele for now, I suspect I might enjoy her singing other songs.

Hardly unique in this, but there is few successful performers I think are more overrated then the shrieking Canadian harpy Celine Dion. Lord she is nails on a chalk board. Hot pokers, water boarding and thumb screws she is to me.

I use to like Elton, but I grew sick of him. But he doesn't rise to the level of those above.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    Dave Grohl. I think he's interesting and funny and I always enjoy clips of him talking about music that OCS shows me, but damn, I do not enjoy the Foo Fighters.
    I can see where his music might not be for everyone, but yeah, he personally is hard not to like, for sure.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Dave Grohl is a fine person who really, really belongs behind a drumset.

The one that comes to mind for me is AC/DC. That right there is earball-clawing music.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Since she just near-swept the Grammys, maybe now would be time for me to nominate Adele. I simply don't find anything about her to be above average, and I don't see anything about her that's a "breath of fresh air," as she is so frequently described, other than the fact that she's a white girl with a vaguely soul/gospelly sounding voice.
    I agree; her voice is pretty good, but I find her songs just as intolerable as many singers like her. I withhold final judgement until the Bond movie comes out. I think she could possibly make a great theme.

My choice is Rush. I have a lot of respect for their talent, but I just don't like it.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Is Bryan Adams respected? What about Jon Bon Jovi?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by parzival View post
    I withhold final judgement until the Bond movie comes out. I think she could possibly make a great theme.
    There's something quite "Shirley Bassey" about her. I could see her doing a great job. Better than Madonna or Duran Duran, anyway.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Mine's Elton John. He's a talented musician and all, but I just really don't like his stuff. I think most of his hit songs kind of suck, actually. And there are a lot of artists whose music isn't particularly what I'm into, but I can see why people like them. With him, I really don't get it.

Sir Elton was quite the performer back in his early days. He rather quickly became a parody of himself, adapting easily to the least-offensive whims of pop and cranking out meaningless soundtracks. But once, he was pretty special. Let's draw the line at Yellow Brick Road.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post

Sir Elton was quite the performer back in his early days. He rather quickly became a parody of himself, adapting easily to the least-offensive whims of pop and cranking out meaningless soundtracks. But once, he was pretty special. Let's draw the line at Yellow Brick Road.
    I think "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" is a pretty good song. It's better when a better singer than he is does it. Other than that, I just really don't like him. And, yeah, he's a major sellout, for sure, but that's not really my issue with him.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Well Billy is a Long Island kid and Hey! Stop that!

Honestly many artists and groups would make my list.
    Start with Madonna if she counts as respected.
    The whole Grunge/Seattle sound, (Sorry Sarah, but you already knew that anyway)
    I hold my vote on Adele for now, I suspect I might enjoy her singing other songs.

Hardly unique in this, but there is few successful performers I think are more overrated then the shrieking Canadian harpy Celine Dion. Lord she is nails on a chalk board. Hot pokers, water boarding and thumb screws she is to me.

I use to like Elton, but I grew sick of him. But he doesn't rise to the level of those above.
    I thought of this thread because of the Grammys. I'm a little bit eye-rolly over awards shows in general, and the Grammys in particular, but one thing I do like about it is performers from various genres appreciating what performers from other genres are doing, and collaborating in performances with people that they normally wouldn't. I think that's cool. So, my point wasn't to say, "don't like X genre," but more like, "out of all these genres, whether it's "my" kind of music or not, I can generally appreciate what the artist is trying to do, but this one artist I just don't get at all." I mean, I would never sit down and listen to most prog rock, but I can see the bands are talented, I think the songs are good, I understand why other people like them. But when people say they love Elton John I'm like "Really? Why?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

So, my point wasn't to say, "don't like X genre," but more like, "out of all these genres, whether it's "my" kind of music or not, I can generally appreciate what the artist is trying to do, but this one artist I just don't get at all." I mean, I would never sit down and listen to most prog rock, but I can see the bands are talented, I think the songs are good, I understand why other people like them. But when people say they love Elton John I'm like "Really? Why?"
    By the above-quoted standard, and the bolded line in particular, my all-time winner would be Rod Stewart. Nobody in the history of music has sold more records over a longer period of time while making less music that impresses me at all.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sometimes, I forget Rod Stewart exists. And then when I'm reminded, I'm all, really?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

So, my point wasn't to say, "don't like X genre," but more like, "out of all these genres, whether it's "my" kind of music or not, I can generally appreciate what the artist is trying to do, but this one artist I just don't get at all." I mean, I would never sit down and listen to most prog rock, but I can see the bands are talented, I think the songs are good, I understand why other people like them. But when people say they love Elton John I'm like "Really? Why?"
    By the above-quoted standard, and the bolded line in particular, my all-time winner would be Rod Stewart. Nobody in the history of music has sold more records over a longer period of time while making less music that impresses me at all.
    Great choice, one good song that was played out for me over 20 years ago.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

And to move into other media - I don't think I will ever do more than 'appreciate' Picasso.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Great choice, one good song that was played out for me over 20 years ago.
    I am much the same with Rod Stewart, especially after hearing of his on tour behaviour by one of his coach drivers.
    Countered somewhat by his interview on Parkinson.

I bought the Atlantic Crossing LP shortly after it was released and like 'the slow side' but never play the other side.
    I like 'Sailing' and more so 'I Don't Want To Talk About It', especially this version (mainly for Amy Bell and the saxophonist) He dresses well though.

Yes, I do watch this one quite frequently (Amy looks just like my old girlfriend)
    Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

Registered
    Mar 2009

And to move into other media - I don't think I will ever do more than 'appreciate' Picasso.
    Heh, I think I just assumed "artist = musician" because of the OP. Well:

Hugh Jackman. He's a well-respected actor on both stage and screen, he can do blockbusters as well as artier fare, he seems by all accounts to be a nice fellow, and I've never seen an acting performance from him that didn't leave me flat, even in films that I otherwise really enjoyed.

find me at Goodreads

+ Reply to thread