+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Oliveloaf Diet Accountability Thread.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Congrats Sarah!

I just saw some pictures someone took of me this past weekend .... yeah that some good motivation to stop fucking eating.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    I'm down 25 pounds and I think I'm done. Now let's see if I can maintain it for a while.
    That is awesome Sarah.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Congratulations, Sarah! That's really impressive.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Lost 6lbs in a week. I find keeping a food diary has really helped me monitor and limit my food intake. Oh shame you are such a powerful tool.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tagging artifex to this thread, as she just (re)started Weight Watchers this past weekend.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I will never stop being astonished at how difficult it can be to restrain myself from eating when I'm not even hungry.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I will never stop being astonished at how difficult it can be to restrain myself from eating when I'm not even hungry.
    Recreational/therapeutic eating is a horrible habit. I'm pretty good about not medicating stress or depression with food, but I am terrible about drowning my boredom in calories, or eating just because "it's about dinner time" regardless of how hungry I may not be.

find me at Goodreads

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks, guys! I'm down to the weight I was when I got married, which I never thought I'd see again.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Thanks, guys! I'm down to the weight I was when I got married, which I never thought I'd see again.
    Ah that's lovely.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Congrats Sarah!

Registered
    Apr 2009

Not this weekend! Two days ago. Today is day 3 and I'm having a hard time of it. I'm not actually hungry but HOLY FUCK I WANT TO MUNCH. Which is actually the nice thing about WW - there are things you can eat that are gloriously free foods. I mean, what I really WANT is a bunch of booze and chocolate right now, but it's nice to know that if I am desperately munchy I can eat fruit or fresh veggies or pickles or whatever. (Note that I did already blow four points on a light daiquiri, I'm now two under par for the day.) Yesterday I ate fewer than half my daily points, so I guess it averages out, anyway.

Honestly I think I had gotten way out of hand on portion control (all too easy to do especially when eating out). So this is a good reality check.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    Honestly I think I had gotten way out of hand on portion control (all too easy to do especially when eating out). So this is a good reality check.
    Eating in restaurants is treachery. Portions are huge. Even the "healthy-ish chicken dish more or less designed for our female patrons" that every restaurant is forced to carry features a ten ounce hunk of animal protein.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Apr 2009

Uh, ok, draft #1 got eaten, so this will be the short version...

1. First weekly weigh-in this morning, I'm down 2.8#. Since I'm trying to lose fewer than 20#, I do not foresee this trend continuing.
    2. Weight Watchers has changed a bit since I did it previously in...2006? Now, instead of the old calories*fat/fiber formula, there's more emphasis on high fiber, high protein, low fat thing. I think. Fruits are now free, and most veggies are free (except obvs things like potatoes, corn, edamame).
    3. End result, I eat SO MUCH fresh fruit and veggies. I used to avoid fruit on WW because before it counted toward points. It is really fucking nice to be able to eat an apple when I feel munchy and not have it "count."
    4. Thank goodness my oral allergy syndrome has been settling down as long as I take Zyrtec, since that was also part of the problem with eating fresh fruit/veg.
    5. Sure, "lots of fresh fruits and veg and some lean meats and complex carbs" does not seem like advice you would need to pay for, but I again seem to be doing well on WW, because I am forced to look at portions more, and really, I enjoy the game of "investing" my points well. I usually have plenty to enjoy a drink in the evening.
    6. Booze...so, the last diet I was trying was low-carb, which worked reasonably well for a while, a couple years ago. I think I got stuck on the "red wine is a-okay on low carb!" idea. And I have had a fair amount of needing to self-medicate (have changed jobs which seems to be helping with that). And our stemless wine glasses are big enough that you put what looks like a reasonable amount of wine in them and damn if it's not over 8 ounces. And goddammit, it's good for your heart! Anyway, I think reining this in and paying more attention to how many calories I have been drinking is a good thing.
    7. Not that I have had wine recently. Red wine is 4 points for 1/4 cup, whereas a 42g jigger of distilled booze (vodka, rum, etc.) is 2 points. A half cup of wine is what it is, whereas a jigger of booze can, with the help of some ice, club soda, or, say, sugar-free margarita mixer, be stretched into something one can nurse. So wine currently seems to be a bad investment.
    8. Unsweetened almond milk is basically a no-points creamer for my coffee. (As opposed to half-and-half - low carbs but high in fat.) Yesterday I learned that 1. almond milk will indeed froth, and 2. its froth is indestructible!!! Okay, not literally, but seriously, that foam lived through me adding more coffee and sipping the cup over 20 minutes. Try to get half-and-half to do that!
    Last edited by artifex; 21 May 2012 at 10:45 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Stupid food, why do you have to be so delicious. I wish I lived in the old Eastern Bloc.

Registered
    Mar 2009

While in Missouri, taking care of kids, and having to think about food all the time since I had to cook every meal and ensure they'd eat it... ::drumroll:: ...I lost two pounds.

That's only about half a pound a week, but I'll take it.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Even though it feels like a Sunday it is Monday today, so weigh in #2. 1.4 pounds down. I feel a little disappointed, even though rationally I am aware that this is an appropriate and expected level of weight loss. I think it's because I feel like I've just been working so damn hard on this, and want more of a reward for all the planning and limiting and denying myself.

I have been saving up points daily to be able to have a drink - the drink is probably 1/3-1/2 my total points for the day, not because I'm having monstrously big ones, but because alcohol has so many points. (An average beer is 5 points, for example. My daily allowed total is 26 and I try not to go over 18.) All calories are not created equal, really, so I am thinking for the next couple weeks I will go booze-less (we have family photos planned for June 9, which is my big motivator for weight loss; after that I don't think I'd so much mind losing 1-2 pounds a week, but right now I'd like to see what I can get down to before being immortalized in prints we're paying for). Hopefully I'll see some results of that.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

1.4 lbs sounds like a pretty good week to me!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Also, I lost another pound! And more to the point, I didn't gain 3-5 PMS pounds like I tend to do!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    Also, I lost another pound! And more to the point, I didn't gain 3-5 PMS pounds like I tend to do!

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

So, how are we all doing?

My dad had his second heart attack on July 4th. He's doing well, but it was kind of a kick in the face. We've really slacked off on eating well over the last few years, but dad was doing well otherwise. His cholesterol was great, BP was great, every single measure they had to test him by was just fine. Then he started having chest pains after dinner that night. Like the stubborn man he is he brushed it off because he "didn't want to ruin 4th of July", and didn't go to the hospital until the next morning. Even then they were prepared to send him home until his cardiologist insisted they do an angiogram first. Two of his arteries were over 85% blocked. How does that happen without anything else being wrong?

But it was extra motivation. I'd slacked off and gained back a few pounds just in the last few months. I don't know if I've changed my diet radically but I feel a difference. Whether it's a conscious change or just getting closer to 30, I can't eat the crap I used to. I still eat it, just a lot less of it. I make more of an effort to include fruits or vegetables in every meal. I haven't cut out red meat but I find I'm eating a lot less of it than I used to.

Moral of the story? I'm down to 230, which is the lightest I've been in about five years. Feels good.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I was down to 167, but then I got a blood test back that indicated I may have celiac disease. I took this as an opportunity to EAT ALL THE BREAD in preparation for my endoscopy, which will confirm (or hopefully, not) the diagnosis.

If I have to cut out all wheat products (i.e. bread, beer, cookies, cake, beer, crackers, pasta, beer, dumplings, croutons, burritos, and beer), I'm sure that will help me in my weight loss, if not in my mental well-being.

I'm glad your dad's doing OK, RabbitMage!

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No luck at all losing weight. I'm terrible at this of course.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It turns out, when I don't eat bread, I'm ALWAYS FUCKING HUNGRY. So I'd BETTER be losing some weight.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ha I haven't weighed myself in weeks, in fear. Since going back to work full time my health regimen just felt out the window. I've been more active as a rule on the days I work but then there's stuff like junk snacks.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Down to 226 today, at least according to the bathroom scale. I think I'm going to treat myself to a nice new digital scale soon so I can keep better track of myself.

Also trying to learn the dance to Gangnam Style. My ankles aren't built for this.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Has everyone on this planet other than me tried to dance gangnam style?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just give into it, CIAS.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have never attempted the Gangnam dance. I have watched it many times, but I have too much dignity for that.

The Snoopy dance, on the other hand, sure.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have no problems with other people dancing it. I just automatically switch to "Saturday Night" or the Macarena.

You can probably feel my shame over there.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread