+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Oliveloaf Diet Accountability Thread.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default The Oliveloaf Diet Accountability Thread.

So, last week Sunday I started a diet. This was on my birthday as a gift to myself.

For the record, I have always been a big guy, but for the past 10 years, I've been too big. I was once fairly athletic, but being overweight, I wildly overtaxed by back, knees, and feet.

It's been rough. I work out often, but not quite enough. Getting to the health club during the week is a hassle as I tend to work 10-hour days.

An way...as I said, I started a diet last week. I want, and pretty much need this to work.

No gimmicks this time, just simple calorie control.

To help, I downloaded a diet-tracking app that seems to keep me in check.

If anyone would like to diet with me, please do.

I plan to lose...ugh, 120 pounds. Or, roughly one Sarahfeena.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 11 Feb 2012 at 03:30 PM.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Week one: Really? This stupid app only show my entries on a chart, with no numbers? Dumb.

Looks like I lost 4 pounds. I'll take it.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 11 Feb 2012 at 03:34 PM.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I guess I always picture you in my head looking like a prime James Garner, so I'm taken aback when you say you want to lose 120 pounds.

Good luck! I'll definitely bump this thread to check in on you.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    I guess I always picture you in my head looking like a prime James Garner, so I'm taken aback when you say you want to lose 120 pounds.

Good luck! I'll definitely bump this thread to check in on you.
    Looking like Jim is my goal. Once I've lost the pounds, perhaps I can take a course and learn to drive like him.

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll join you, I started Tuesday as I needed the Superbowl to be over and I had Monday off. Today was one bowl of cereal for breakfast a big salad with only a teaspoon of dressing for lunch and snacking on sourdough pretzels. (Fat free). I have been using air popped popcorn and rice cakes/popcorn cakes for snacks and carrots of course. I never get to the gym and no honestly try but I am trying to bring up my activity level from very little to something at least. I balloon up over 250 and I am only 5'8". So way too fat. I was running around 235 until I threw out my back in September. That really sabotaged me with the Holidays looming.

So now I will set a series of goals. Goal #1 is just to get under 240. Goal 2 should be easy, the first 10% or 25.5 pounds lost. Then the tough goal, to get all the way back under 200 again which is also basically 20%. I was there a few years back. I think it was 2007. My knees will really thank me for this.

I'll weigh in tomorrow and see how I did. My benchmark is 254.5 as of Tuesday.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I'll join you, I started Tuesday as I needed the Superbowl to be over and I had Monday off. Today was one bowl of cereal for breakfast a big salad with only a teaspoon of dressing for lunch and snacking on sourdough pretzels. (Fat free). I have been using air popped popcorn and rice cakes/popcorn cakes for snacks and carrots of course. I never get to the gym and no honestly try but I am trying to bring up my activity level from very little to something at least. I balloon up over 250 and I am only 5'8". So way too fat. I was running around 235 until I threw out my back in September. That really sabotaged me with the Holidays looming.

So now I will set a series of goals. Goal #1 is just to get under 240. Goal 2 should be easy, the first 10% or 25.5 pounds lost. Then the tough goal, to get all the way back under 200 again which is also basically 20%. I was there a few years back. I think it was 2007. My knees will really thank me for this.

I'll weigh in tomorrow and see how I did. My benchmark is 254.5 as of Tuesday.
    Good luck, sir. Let's improve our lives.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Good luck to you too.

I need to lose enough to have the energy to exercise more. I did take a 40 minute walk Monday but at this time of year it is tough to get out there. Today is miserable so I did some odd cleaning jobs that involved scrubbing ceiling in a bathroom and the wall border and etc and then I went to my workshop to rebuild my lathe. Now I just need to learn how to properly use the lathe.

Registered
    Mar 2009

All right, if you fessed up, I will to. I broke 420 pounds last year.

I must get back to 300. I realize 300 sounds crazy, but I am healthiest at that weight. I am 6' 1" and basically linebacker shaped
    when in good condition. And on that note...I am off to the gym.

-Jim Rockford

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll jump in here and say that Oliveloaf really is a very large man in general...300 just seems stocky on him. But yeah, good luck old friend. I want you to be around for a long, long time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks, Coach.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well it isn't much but 253 today. At least it is a start.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well it isn't much but 253 today. At least it is a start.
    411 this morning. We work from here.

Boogie time.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Apr 2009

I too always see you (oliveloaf) as being James Garner.
    This pounds business is meaningless to me though.
    I suppose the same is true of Kilos and Stones to you though.

I weigh about 14 stone, around 2 too many
    Bugger diets though - unless it is a Mars Bar and Chocolate Biscuit diet
    Likewise with exercise - I get quite enough at work, avoiding doing anything.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I never replaced my scale after the house fire, so I have no idea how much I weigh these days. Judging by how the pants fit that I just bought, I've been holding steady at about the same size over the past four years or so. Not bad, but I know I can be thinner and I'd like to be in better shape.

Inspired by HongKongFooey over on GB, I've decided to try fasting. No, no, no, not in a creepy anorexic way. Just as a simple way to reduce calories. It's easier for me to do than to try eating small meals. I don't know if it's a blood sugar thing or what, but once I start eating I'll feel lightheaded and sick if I don't keep eating. But one day a week without food? I feel great.

So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have that same problem in the mornings, Zuul. If I just don't eat I'm usually okay without lunch. If I eat a breakfast, no matter how big or small, I'm ravenous by lunch. I think it might have to do with that whole metabolism thing. If you feed your body it thinks "Oh hey great, I can have food". If you don't it thinks "oh there's no food". Or something.

I too am trying to lose weight. I've dropped about 10 pounds since Christmas, but at my last weigh-in I gained two back. I can also tell I've gained some muscle though, so I'm okay with that.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have that same problem in the mornings, Zuul. If I just don't eat I'm usually okay without lunch. If I eat a breakfast, no matter how big or small, I'm ravenous by lunch. I think it might have to do with that whole metabolism thing. If you feed your body it thinks "Oh hey great, I can have food". If you don't it thinks "oh there's no food". Or something.

I too am trying to lose weight. I've dropped about 10 pounds since Christmas, but at my last weigh-in I gained two back. I can also tell I've gained some muscle though, so I'm okay with that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myglaren View post
    I too always see you (oliveloaf) as being James Garner.
    This pounds business is meaningless to me though.
    I suppose the same is true of Kilos and Stones to you though.

I weigh about 14 stone, around 2 too many
    Bugger diets though - unless it is a Mars Bar and Chocolate Biscuit diet
    Likewise with exercise - I get quite enough at work, avoiding doing anything.
    Kilos are easy enough though stones requires a lookup for me.

Having looked it up, my major goal is 14 stone it appears.

I actually had no clue stones were still in use. For Kilos, I quickly just multiply 2.2 and it is close enough for most things.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't want to tell y'all what I weigh. I'm not far off Loafy's weight although I'm 6 foot 4.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I kinda blew it today.

I ate too much for breakfast and now only have 650 calories left for dinner.

Bugger.

(Worth noting, the Pesto Cavatappi at Noodles & Company...910 freaking calories! Damn. Should have checked before ordering. Going to be a long night.)

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not calorie counting but so far I have done pretty well today. A very light lunch and actually a pretty light breakfast. I just had my diet root beer float. A low cal fudgsical in diet root beer. Surprisingly tasty. This might be a tough week though, I just lost an old friend. He died over the weekend. My way of dealing with stress is to eat. On the other had I took a walk this afternoon when I got the news as I had to get out of the office for a bit and collect myself.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sorry to hear about your loss there Jim.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks AG. Funeral is Friday.

Registered
    Apr 2009

When I was doing WW and was running low on points for the day, it was all about 95% fat free popcorn. Another favorite, take some frozen corn, and heat it up with a lot of salsa mixed in. Pickles and hot salsa (not together, unless that floats your boat...) are things that, I don't know, give my palate something to pay attention to, without being calorie-laden.

I am not advocating the use of medications for purposes for which they are not intended, but pseudoephedrine is not a terrible appetite suppressant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm not calorie counting but so far I have done pretty well today. A very light lunch and actually a pretty light breakfast. I just had my diet root beer float. A low cal fudgsical in diet root beer. Surprisingly tasty. This might be a tough week though, I just lost an old friend. He died over the weekend. My way of dealing with stress is to eat. On the other had I took a walk this afternoon when I got the news as I had to get out of the office for a bit and collect myself.
    This happened to me recently, an old friend died unexpectedly. Hit me hard...so sorry you're going through it, as well.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    I am not advocating the use of medications for purposes for which they are not intended, but pseudoephedrine is not a terrible appetite suppressant.
    I've got MVP, so any sort of stimulant generally doesn't do me any good, alas.

On the other hand, cutting out all soft drinks and delicious, sugary coffee drinks is good for me.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Inspired by HongKongFooey over on GB, I've decided to try fasting. No, no, no, not in a creepy anorexic way. Just as a simple way to reduce calories. It's easier for me to do than to try eating small meals. I don't know if it's a blood sugar thing or what, but once I start eating I'll feel lightheaded and sick if I don't keep eating. But one day a week without food? I feel great.
    I think I might like to try that method too - if I don't eat breakfast I don't really get hungry. And it seems like it might be easier for me than constant calorie counting, which always makes me feel all neurotic and OCD.

I have a magical ability to gain 10-15 pounds without noticing, even though you'd think my pants would stop fitting. So now I have to lost the 12 pounds I just lost last year again.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I think I might like to try that method too - if I don't eat breakfast I don't really get hungry. And it seems like it might be easier for me than constant calorie counting, which always makes me feel all neurotic and OCD.
    Yeah, I'm very much the same way. The problem with any sort of "diet" for me is that I end up thinking about food constantly to keep track of it and thinking about food constantly is taxing on my willpower and exaggerates every little twinge of hunger. A fast once a week is much easier because all of that willpower is just set on one day, when I don't really have to think about food because I'm not having any. I've only done one fast day so far, but it was easy and I felt fine, instead of constantly starving and obsessing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sorry to hear this.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

I was up over 240 last year (but I don't remember by how much). Today I'm 232.

How's everyone else doing?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I am at 178, which is my upper-limit, OK-this-nonsense-must-stop number. My goal is 160, so I can at least be within spitting distance of the "normal" category on the BMI chart.

Registered
    Mar 2009

In a Mello thread two years back, I shared this account of my own weight loss travail.

In the two years since, I've come back up to 240 and stabilized there, while eating and drinking pretty much what I please. Unless my metabolism does something funky when I hit 40, and my weight skyrockets, this is probably just what I'll weigh.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I will weigh in tomorrow.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm, just checked my weight at a touch under 200, which is fine if not a little overweight.

I'd like to get back down to my happy weight of 170-180.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My current goal is to get under 200. When I started high school I weighed around 180 and while I was still fat I felt so, SO much better.

Edit: I have just been informed we are going to Red Robin tonight. Damn you bottomless steak fries!
    Last edited by RabbitMage; 17 Feb 2012 at 07:39 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This morning I hit 250.5 so fair progress over 10 days. I had a light breakfast & lunch and no snacking but I ate a heavy late meal following the funeral and am currently drinking down a Bass Ale. So, I'll see what tomorrow brings. One last note on my friend, he was 65 and the turnout was very large. Everyone had fond memories of this wonderful person. He had in his youth fought for civil rights and then in the 70s embraced the Environmental movement. He gave 35 years to it at least. He was a great story teller, a rabble-rouser and a great friend to have.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm hoping to check my weight today but I'm almost certain I've lost a few lbs over the last few weeks.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Check in number one:

Current Weight: 411.0
    Loss since beginning diet: 9 pounds.
    Loss this week: About 2 pounds.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Good going, Oliveloaf! How do you feel about things so far?

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Keep going, Olive, you can do it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Go for it Olive.

You can get Olive it off if you try.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Good going, Oliveloaf! How do you feel about things so far?
    Pretty good. I had a couple of long days (up early, in bed late) and that can mess up a low-calorie diet because you really want a fourth meal in there somewhere.

But...I am staying under 2600 a day...usually seems rather easy. Keeping track of my eating has proven surprisingly useful.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Check in number one:

Current Weight: 411.0
    Loss since beginning diet: 9 pounds.
    Loss this week: About 2 pounds.
    Excellent start. I was 251 this morning. This was after walking around NYC yesterday (maybe 4 miles in all) but having a cannoli which is anything but diet friendly. So I lost 4.5 pounds so far.

I just had a big salad to help fill me up before dinner. Just a little dressing and a dab of BBQ sauce for a little tang.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Excellent.

I had nothing but salad for lunch to make space for pizza tonight.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

How's it going, Oliveloaf? Is it easier or harder to watch what you eat during the work week?

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

How's it going, Oliveloaf? Is it easier or harder to watch what you eat during the work week?
    During the week, the busier I am--meetings, travel--the easier it is, as I don't really have time to think about food.

Days when I am busy, but just cranking away alone in my office are more difficult.

Last Saturday I was up very early to do a radio thing down at the Chicago Auto Show. This really messed me up as I ate breakfast at 6:00, and lunch around 11:00, leaving me stupid hungry around 5:00...and I would be up 'till about midnight.

But overall, seems the structure of a work day makes things a little easier. It's at home where I have the potential to break bad.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 23 Feb 2012 at 01:07 PM.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Good sign, shirt that I bought at christmas that didn't fit then now fits me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've stalled, I need to increase my exercise though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Still stalled but at least I am not gaining. I was hoping to under 250 by now. I am at 251 this morning.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I skipped my weigh-in last week, but today I am at 176.8.

I can do better.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I just took a 3.8 mile ride on my bike and it wiped me out. Also my ears got really cold.

Hopefully next time I can do the 3.8 without being wiped out and then start increasing the distance.

+ Reply to thread