+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth FA65 D&D Game: Tenth Adventure – On to the Quest

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir murmurs to Gil-Gandel, "Come, my friend, indulge the barkeep with your harp, if you are willing. You need not even craft a new tune, if you are still weary from the road. Any song at all would be most welcome."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"I echo my friend knight," chimes in Bitur. "A song is perfect for an occasion such as this."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Of course," says Gil-Gandel. "A few moments to, ahem, compose myself, if you will."
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Deor, always ready to hear one of Gil-Gandel's works, will quietly buy a beer and sit back to watch and listen.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Drindoleth, too, will get himself something to drink and settle in to enjoy Gil-Gandel's indulgence of Butterbur's request.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If Gil-Gandel's unaccompanied singing is a little more... pesante... than usual, it is the time and place for it...

There is an inn, a merry old inn,
    Beneath a fair green hill,
    And there the beer has such a name
    That the King himself need feel no shame
    To come and drink his fill.

This beer, they say, these threescore years
    Has brewed uncommon well
    Since Gandalf, mighty, wise and high
    Stopped at the inn as he passed by
    And placed it under a spell.

For news he had from Barliman -
    Good news in days of fear -
    Which brought him such an ease of heart
    He blessed the brewing by his art
    For fully seven year.

Yet not by magic beer is made,
    But by a love of ale;
    And brewer's wisdom fairly won
    Passed down from father on to son
    So shall it never fail.

The Man in the Moon drinks not this ale,
    Nor yet a fallen star,
    But folk on Earth will tell you true
    You'll nowhere taste a better brew
    Though you may wander far.

This beer a history book records,
    Likewise this jolly inn;
    For here came hobbits with a Ring
    And met their guide, the long-lost King
    With a crown and throne to win.

And those were days of dark and fear
    And all seemed lost in night;
    But faith and courage won the day,
    A dreadful evil passed away
    And dawned a morning bright.

O, war there was in far-off lands,
    But here, within this place,
    Put by the thought of days of fear,
    Draw tankards deep of foaming beer
    And bless the King's good grace.

Let peace and freedom last for aye;
    Let Bree's fair folk rejoice;
    Let him who distant peril dares
    Find here relief from all his cares
    And raise a cheerful voice.

This beer the Valar's praise might sing,
    But I am but an Elf
    And if you want another verse
    Step up - for you cannot do worse -
    And sing it, sir, yourself.
    Last edited by Malacandra; 02 Apr 2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

As Gil-Gandel finishes up, one Hobbit in particular speaks up and cheers. "Well done Gil-Gandel, well done indeed." Gilraen is first to rush over and give Uncle Merry a hug.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir cheers the Elf-captain loudly, and laughs, "Gil-Gandel, I don't how you do it - but you have outdone yourself yet again! Only you could compose so perfect an ode to beer - to beer! - in mere moments." He then joins Gilraen in greeting the most estimable old Hobbit.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"Well sung, my friend. It puts me in mind to have another round."

"Friend Thoroncir, I take it that you have met this worthy, venerable hobbit before?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Yes, in Minas Tirith at the Elf Stone Inn," Thoroncir replies, "not all that long ago, when I first met Gil-Gandel and several other original members of this gallant band." He catches the barkeep's eye and buys Ceol's next tankard.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Master-Emeritus, Meriadoc the Magnificent, Holdwine True-friend - this is a happy meeting indeed. And since singing is thirsty work, let us toast this reunion in Butterbur's best.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Uncle Merry", Mulligan is not far behind Gilraen in giving the old hobbit a hug.

Once the two ladies have finished, Rorimac goes across with two fresh tankards and offers one with a big grin. "Hello father, how are you."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol bows deeply to Merry. "It is a great honor to meet you, sir. As a youth in Rohan, I often heard your name and deeds, in tales of true heroes. Never would I have imagined that I would have the opportunity to make your acquaintance."
    Last edited by kenobi65; 03 Apr 2012 at 09:29 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Merry is singing at first but low,
    "This beer the Valar's praise might sing,
    But I am but an Halfling
    And if you want another verse
    Step up - for you cannot do worse -
    And sing it, sir, yourself.
    "

"I like it, I like it indeed. I will gladly and merrily, if you will, join you in many a toast tonight though I will never make the mistake of trying to keep up with an Elf. It is good to see you and better yet to hear you."

"Good to see you again Thoroncir, though we've met a few more times since that chance occurrence at the Elfstone Inn. I hear you have a mission in life now to look after one of my favorites, Gilraen."

"I am doing very well." Indeed he looks surprisingly young, he is if anything growing younger every time you see him the last few years. "It is good to be friends with Wizards, Elves and Tom and perhaps even better to be friends to Ents and Druids. Son, I expect to hear what you have been up to since you left Raj. You appear to be doing well."

"I expect you are Ceol of Rohan, cousin to Theogrim and Deor. I respect your order greatly and hear nothing but good about you and your fellows." Turning towards Cwenhild, "I see the traditions of Éowyn continue, I greet thee Shield Maiden of the Eorlings. You Men of Rohan are fortunate to go to battle with such beauty." He greets Wilfrid you seems unable to speak, "This must be quite the occasion for 3 Holy Knights of Rohan to be working together and not in war. I am curious to hear more of your tale. I give good greeting, am I correct you are of the same order as Ceol?"

Wilfrid stammers out, "Y-y-yes and it is a great honor to meet Captain Meriadoc the Magnificent. You are a legend among our people. We of the Knight of Eönwë can only aspire to such deeds as yourself and the Lady Éowyn achieved."

Merry greets Deor, "Well met young Wizard and how fairs your brother and the rest of your family?"

He has barely met the rest of the party members though Lorliana shyly comes forward and curtsies, "Master Brandybuck, I am most honored to meet you, I have read your book and the King's copy of the Red Book and studied in Rivendell, Edoras and Minas Tirith. I have had the privilege to travel with your son and especially your niece. I hope I might have the chance to talk to you in the upcoming days, I plan to be staying here at the Pony for at least several days. I have been fortunate to interview Thain Peregrin and Gimli Gloin son along with the Princess of Ithilien Éowyn and a short conversation with both Prince Faramir and Legolas."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Gil-Gandel mutters "Dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass," and adds "and are we not in the presence of one of the most legendary: he who grew to stature unmatched even by the Bullroarer or any else of the Halflings save one; who made the Holbytlan known in the Mark, and was faithful to their King to his life's end; who set fatal blade to the dread Witch-King and thereby saved Ithilien's Lady; who blew the Horn of the Mark at sunset and brought a new day to the Shire?

"It is good to see you, Magnificent, but I beg leave to doubt that you be here only to sup ale - peerless as this is - with old friends. We shall toast indeed, for I fain would see if Hold-Wine is as apposite a pun as language would make it; but do I err greatly in supposing you have more serious business?"
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bitur goes to the bar and orders three drinks. He goes over to where the group is gathered and hands one to Gil-Gandel.

"In payment for your song. I figure the least I can do is buy for you the very inspiration of it. Thank you again."

He then takes another and offers it to Merry.

"Greetings, Captain Brandybuck. I am Bitur, son of Bofur. I do not believe we've ever been introduced. A true shame since we have many friends and acquaintances in common, and my father was a close friend of Bilbo all those years ago, just as you were a true friend of Frodo. It is my honor to meet you. I propose a toast, to new friends and to old."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol bows to Merry a second time. "By your words, you do my order a great honor, and me even more so. We have, indeed, come together for a purpose, though I shall defer to Gil-Gandel and Thoroncir to discuss the details, at the proper time."
    Last edited by kenobi65; 03 Apr 2012 at 04:14 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Merry replies as follows, "Actually this time I am between adventures. I came back to Bree & the Shire for a visit and I have some hopes to enlist the aid of the Druids to reach a peace with the Old Forest and Old Man Willow in particular. I have been adventuring again mainly in the North and just reached Bree on August 16th. In fact, Bitur, my companion is probably known to you and was well known for a little while by your father Bofur. Bokken was the Captain of the Guard for Thranduil when you father was an unwilling guest of the King. He'll probably be by a little later. A small group of us including Bjorn the High Druid, Mírëgol the Mage, Haldir of the Grey Company not to be confused with your fellow Sindarin Elf of the same name and several others made a fast raid and cleared the Mound of the Princes on the Downs. Myself and a few others then visited with Tom for a few days and then I rode back here to see my companions off. In the spring and summer I was one of many working once again with Glorfindel to clear more of Angmar. I have some excellent news on that front in fact for Princess Gilraen, we clear Carn Dum and the old City of Courl and killed hundreds if not thousands of orcs and their kin. We then broke Coal Town and Angsul."

"Bitur, well met indeed, I met your father once, it was during the War on Goblin Gate. If I recall correctly, that is when you joined with your companions. So we've come close to meeting many times now."

"Now folks, tell me what brings you group up here with such an interesting group of people."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"At it's simplest, we have to stop someone bad finding something and prevent them taking it away" says Rorimac with a grin, "which probably sounds fairly familiar. The longer version should probably wait for a quieter area in the morning over breakfast with clearer heads."

Registered
    Feb 2009

To move this along a little ... I will assume the party gives Merry some of the details ...
    Merry comments, "Good luck, why don't I stay in Bree and see about organizing a secondary party to see about being ready to help if needed and possibly to cut this Kkósal off if he tries to flee. I know Bokken at least is around. Do you need more help? I am fairly tired and could use some rest, but I may well be able to help you get some quick support for tomorrow."

Then he motions the pair of Hobbits over to him and softly says, "If you are in dire need on the downs, remember and use this song for far more aid then I could ever provide.

Ho! Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo!
    By water, wood and hill, by the reed and willow,
    By fire, sun and moon, harken now and hear us!
    Come, Tom Bombadil, for our need is near us!

I wish you both the best of luck, Make me proud."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Gil-Gandel does not draw attention to the fact that his keen Elf-ears allow him to eavesdrop on private, albeit not intimate, conversation, but Merry's words remind him that he wishes to pay his nonpareil teacher a visit before we begin our expedition. Does anyone wish to come? Tom has next to no interest in any of Men's concerns, but he is a delightful host for such as enjoy peace and quiet, fresh air and clear water, and the last living memory of the ancient Dark when it was still innocent.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir found himself oddly and irrationally irritated by Bombadil last time, so he will respectfully decline, but wishes Gil-Gandel well.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bitur will accompany Gil-Gandel to visit Tom, having heard much about the "man", but never having met him.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol bows to Merry. "Thank you for the offer of assistance, and the wisdom, o Meriadoc."

He will volunteer to accompany Gil-Gandel to see Tom Bombadil, out of curiosity and interest.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Lorliana speaks up, "I don't recommend you spend the time visiting. We rushed up here to try and stop Kkósal before he finds what he is looking for. If you can either find it first or better yet be there to stop him and cause him to lose his current corporal form it is of I believe grave importance. Though I understand Gil-Gandel could probably make it there and meet you on the road in the morning if he goes by himself."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"Thank you, Lorliana...you are right, we should remain focused on our task. Perhaps there will be time to visit with Tom afterwards, if we are successful."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"That makes sense," Sir Thoroncir agrees. "First things first, my father always said."

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Deor nods, drains the last of his beer, and agrees. "We can stop by Tom Bombadil on the way home. At the moment, though, time is of the essence."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, I had better be away, then; I can indeed be there and back swiftly. Celebrate well but wisely, and I shall see you in the morning.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

So does the party seek any help or just set off in the morning? A reminder Lorliana will be staying in the Pony and the squad of Gondor Soldiers will be heading for Fornost.

Gil-Gandel does find Tom's house but Tom is out and about on one of his walk-abouts. Goldberry can only say he'll be back when he is ready.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

If we can be circumspect about it, we should ask the fellow visitors to the Prancing Pony about any reports of interesting or unusual activity in the area, especially towards the Downs.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You succeed in gathering information. Most of it is on injuries to 3 men that were working with Bokken an Elf and that Merry Brandybuck's party rescued them and with Bokken cleared one of the larger mounds and then had a small army of people go in and take one item each of the treasure to scatter it.

One ranger, Haladain, does have more information. In the last week the wights have been acting disturbed and he feels it is more then the broken mound. His grandfather was a ranger patrolling Bree when the Hobbits disturbed a mound and the Ringwraiths were near. That was the only other time he knows of they seemed this agitated.

He also has seen high flying crebain recently. These large crows are evil birds and not to be confused with Ravens.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 11 Apr 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan and Rorimac will enquire around the hobbits in the Prancing Pony to see if any of them have any news of interest.

Someone else can chat to the humans.

If anyone could get some maps of the Barrow Downs, they might come in useful as well.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, wherever Tom is and whatever he is doing, Gil-Gandel is confident that it is exactly where and what that strange creature ought to be right now, so he will take his leave of the fair Lady (not without some reluctance) and head for the rendezvous point, asking Goldberry courteously to pass on his compliments to the Master.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bitur will chat up any dwarves around as to what they know about strange goings-on.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not much more news is gathered but the same ranger, Haladain can help with some maps.

You can see the barrow mounds marked on the map. There is a clump of 4 barrows near each other in the middle. The large central mound is known as the King's Barrow. To the south west is a mound and stone my itself. This is called the Lonely Mound and is one of the oldest of the mounds, dating to the first age. Generally most Dwarves will be able to tell you which mounds are first, second or third age. The mounds of the Princes was recently cleared.

Haladain & Merry will warn you, the Major Wights can summon mists, cast powerful sleep spells, their touch can cause sleep and paralysis. The can radiate fear out maybe 60'. No normal weapon will do much damage to them but enchanted items will and Holy Items are best. Some are skilled fighters and deadly in battles, others rely on subtle arts or will hide from those that are powerful. Merry reminds, "Tom Bombadil sent us onto the Barrow-downs during the daylight, for the wights have no power during the sun's hours. Creatures of the Shadow-world are blinded by the sun; they lose form and retreat to the darkness. These Wights are no exception."

The graves upon the Barrow-downs vary greatly in size and structure. The simplest are stone-lined pits covered with a mound of earth; these are naturally unhaunted on the inside since there is no entrance or exit. The mounds are often constructed of gravel or rubble covered by a layer of earth. These burial sites are First Age graves containing lesser members of the nobility, and are often clustered atop a ridge or on a smaller hill. Some were actually interconnected. Frequently other, later burials have been made at these sites simply by excavating a portion of the mound, interring the body, and then refilling the cavity.

Other tombs are more complex. Some are accessible by a long stone-lined shaft. These are built out of large, upright, interlocking rectangular stone blocks or posts set in a circle and covered with long ceiling stones (lintels). The most elaborate vaults consist of sophisticated stone cairn construction, with one or more chambers covered with an earthen mound that is topped by a protruding tooth of jagged stone. These tombs were used by several generations; the entrances were carefully filled after the last body was interred.

Walls were sometimes decorated with strange carvings in abstract shapes and designs. Most of the Edain kings and queens
    are buried in this type of barrow, sharing the grave with their families and other kings. The Dunedain built more sophisticated tombs than did their fore-fathers. Some of the tombs of the early kings of Arnor bear a closer resemblance to a complicated earthwork rather than a simple barrow, but the basic design is very similar. The resemblance that springs to mind is that of a smial, for the Dunedain barrows are indeed houses of the dead rather than simple graves. These are barred with stout, heavy doors fixed with special locks to prevent access by the unwanted. The interiors are lined with reinforced stone, making it virtually impossible to enter the tomb by digging through the mound. Some of the keys to the barrows are with the kings of Arthedain, but the wights seem to have the power to open or close the doors at will. Most
    tombs contain pitfalls to trap the intruder. These traps all contain mechanisms to shut them off when the proper folk use the passages.

I already covered the various races providing information above, I just assumed. There is no more then this and the above.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir asks Merry, "You refer to 'the sun's hours,' sir, but the Wights will be no less powerful even at high noon if they remain in darkness, correct? That is, it is not the presence of the sun in the sky above that matters, if they are not actually exposed to its light? For deep beneath the ground it is eternal night, absent some other source of illumination brought to bear."

Registered
    Feb 2009

This has all the hallmarks of start at one end and work our way down to the other. Would it be worth trying to retrieve the keys for the tombs from the kings of Arthedain, because I don't think we are going to find a friendly wight to do it for us.

I wonder if there is a way to narrow down which barrows we may have to enter or detect what we are looking for from the surface, perhaps it is more evil than other things there.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Merry says, "Yes, very true and my understanding is that mere torches or lanterns won't scare them in their lairs but will help out on the downs at night. Much like even the Nazguls could be slowed or stopped by torches far from home but near the black land could not."

Merry and the others agree that the keys are beyond retrieval and we must rely on skilled treasure finders, spells and perhaps brute strength.

Trying to locate the object will be very hard as we don't know what it is, but it should be in one of the later mounds in all likelihood. The Witchking found some way to leave and item where it could do the most harm and his enemies were the Dunedain of the third age."

Lorli suggest, "It would be in the tomb of one of the King's of Arnor as only they took back any trophies of winning battles against the Ringwraiths. This will at least narrow it. I think you need one more to aid you. Someone the knows the mounds."
    Last edited by What Exit?; 11 Apr 2012 at 10:23 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I wonder," muses Thoroncir, "if Amlaith the Ranger is still around. Perhaps he would be able to assist us, or suggest someone who could?"

From posts #2056 and 2069 here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...496173&page=42

Registered
    Feb 2009

Haladain hears Thoroncir and replies, "Amlaith is most probably in Angmar currently along with Falcon Master. Most of the Ranger Chiefs are there in fact. Why do you seek him?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Amlaith was of good service to the Princess and me last year," Thoroncir says. "He is wise, and skilled in both warfare and woodcraft, as I observed. I would be glad to see him again."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Ah, just social. I thought there might be a specific need."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Well, yes, there might," says the Sea-knight captain, "if he knows the mounds."

I did write, "Perhaps he would be able to assist us, or suggest someone who could?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Haladain answers, "Well I know the mounds fairly well and while I am not particularly skilled at fighting the Barrow Wights, I do know the signs of their subtle magics and know some of the history. If you want it, I would consider it a privileged to aid your group."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Thank you, Haladain," Thoroncir says. "Let us discuss your kind offer with Gil-Gandel, who is our Elf-captain. And how might we reach Amlaith, if we wish him to come along as well?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Any help we can get will be useful." says Rorimac, "we start at first light hopefully. Let's mark off the mounds we should aim for and then start at the nearest one and work our way down. It might be good for everyone to get a good night's sleep as well."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Haldain marks up his map with some quick notes, especially going over the details with Rorimac, his fellow Ranger.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"Thank you, Haladain, this should prove to be most helpful in narrowing our search." Ceol carefully studies the map.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir repeats, "Do you know how might we reach Amlaith, if we wish him to come along as well?"

+ Reply to thread