+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth FA65 D&D Game: Tenth Adventure – On to the Quest

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

(Sunspots ate my post): Gil-Gandel doesn't hasten to the point but gives Gwaelur all the news of our adventures since we saw him last. Then on to the business of the Barrow-Wights - though we would value Gwaelur's company and strong right arm, we also accept that his present work is important to him, to others, and possibly to many who are yet to come. Nevertheless it seems that the Helm's destiny is bound up with our present business and it would be well to have it at our disposal, with Gwaelur (which would greatly gladden me) or without him. However, history teaches many lessons and Gil-Gandel accepts without quarrel or question that it is for Gwaelur to do with his own as he sees fit, and that if we can have neither Gwaelur nor the Helm then by the Valar's good grace all will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well. As for Gil-Gandel himself, his blessing goes wherever goes Gwaelur, of all the sons of Durin by no means the unworthiest.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Does Gil-Gandel put forth his Bardic Charm to help persuade Gwaelur?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol bows as he thanks King Elfwine. "You are most gracious, your majesty."

"Well met, my shield-sister, and shield-brothers. I echo the words of my friend, Sir Thoroncir -- we are honored by your offer of service. As a fellow Knight of the Mark, I am certain that all of you would acquit yourselves with great valor and skill on our quest. Wilfred...of course, I know you quite well, as we have trained and served together often. Cwenhild and Ethelwine, I know you more by your reputations -- which are beyond reproach. Please do tell us a bit about your thoughts on accompanying us?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir will listen attentively to whatever the three knights have to say.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ethelwine proclaims, "They called for the brave to aid in a heroic quest. I claim the honor of my order to offer my services in your quest. "

Cwenhild, "The missive we were sent called for those to fight evil wights in the north. I have sworn to fight the undead and protect others from them. Let us ride."

Wilfrid, "The King called, I am senior of our order that was near and available and thus I came to offer my help. I am not especially skilled at fighting in barrows but more then willing to help."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Gil-Gandel will rely purely on the force of his arguments and personality to persuade Gwaelur to join us, and not supplement it with any bardic charm. No good enterprise, Gil-Gandel feels, is well begun by coercing a friend, even with the gentle coercion of a charm.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rorimac listens to the three responses and inwardly groans at the first two. One claiming an honour when there should be no need to do so, one determined to fight the undead by the sounds of it at all costs, and one who will probably do all he can to help out to the best of his abilities even if not as good as the others.

His mind also drifts to the commission again, and wonder if this is how officers are supposed to act, because it somehow doesn't feel natural. He take a deep breath, looks at them and asks,

"Would you be prepared to follow the orders I give and the path I lead, while we search for this menace?"

Waiting to see how they react to the though of a hobbit giving orders, Rorimac is aware Thoroncir is in charge, but everyone has wound up directing the party at some point for some reason and he wants to make sure that other members of the party are not discounted purely for not being an officer. Besides, at the moment, he does lead the party; admittedly as the tracker so he sets the path they follow.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Gwaelur thinks it over carefully and debates with himself for a bit and asks several questions, finally as he is convinced it is not himself vital to the quest but Rilthol he decides, "I cannot pull myself away from my work currently, it is a bad time for me. I have too many projects in the fire at once and another quest if you will pressing myself. I will give the helm over as a loan for use by my friend Bitur and I will even loan the Wand of Light I have as long as you agree it gets returned me fully charged. It has 96 charges currently of 100. I am sorry I cannot go but I hope fervently you have great success and all come out of this fine. Give my regards to all of our friends. Good luck and may the Valar guide you in your endeavor. Oh feel free to bring me back some small reward from the barrows if you will." He laughs with the last bit.

Rilthol – Helm of Brilliance is an ancient helm made by the Dwarves of Belegost it will aid a brave Dwarf. +2 Protection, Gives saves vs. Undead drains as Paralysis (no bonus); Enhances Dwarven abilities and vision. So see in dark 120’ for most Dwarves; Will light up for up to 1hr like a torch. Will Light Blast doing 6d6 damage to undead in 30’r. Recharge requires a 2nd level Light spell or 8 hrs in sunlight. Fire Resistance: +4 Saves, -2HP/die, (at least 1).

Wand of light that stores up to 100 light spells which can be used for 50 recharges of the helm. This wand is currently sitting at 96 charges.

Ethelwine again speaks first, "What? You? One of the little folk and little more then a child? Why would I need to take orders from you? My understanding was Captain Thoroncir was the officer duly appointed by our ally, Gondor and the direct representative of Princess Gilraen who of course I would do my best for. I also understand a wise Elven warrior is the nominal leader of your group and even the Princess defers to his great wisdom encompassing a long life that predates the Mark itself. But why would you be in charge before myself?"

Cwenhild might surprise with her answer, "If the King so directs me, I will follow your orders or whoever else I am asked to take commands from, but as you are a skilled ranger of the north and know far more of the land we go to and the threat we face, I would follow you directions regardless. Furthermore, as the son of Captain Meriadoc, greatest ally to my chosen Hero, I would of course willingly and happily follow your orders. I hope you will allow me to join your group. I truly hope for a chance to fight the undead and I can work with a party."

Wilfrid says a simple, "Aye, I will, I am but offering my services to your party."

I hope this is enough to decide. Keep in mind, Wilfrid is not as good against undead as Ceol and brings the least help to the party. He might even be a red shirt to some degree. Ethelwine is clearly a Holy Obnoxious High Born KnightTM that loves himself a bit too much but is also very powerful and skilled. Cwenhild does specialize in fighting undead in particular though as you gathered, she might be a bit overanxious.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Each answer gets an understanding nod from Rorimac, even though the first set his teeth on edge.

However, the slightly surprising response from Cwenhild received a nod and then brought a slow, perhaps slightly embarrased, flush to his cheeks as she continued her answer.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol thanks each of his fellow Knights of the Mark, in turn, for answering the call for volunteers. "I have no doubt that each of you would be a worthy addition to our party, would fight with honor and distinction, and do our homeland proud in your actions. Alas, we cannot bring all three of you with us. Each of you have particular strengths, and now my comrades and I must make a very challenging decision on which of you to select. I ask that, if you are not chosen, to please not think that we found you wanting in some way. Truly, we find ourselves with three great treasures from which to choose, which makes the decision all the harder."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

A generous loan, Gwaelur, and if we make anything out of this expedition I shall see that you are not forgotten. May the Valar prosper your work and ours and may we share our news at more leisure next time. For now I cannot tarry over-long - we have many leagues before us. Farewell!
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir smiles a little at Rorimac's test of authority. He then says to the three knights of Rohan, "My friend Ceol has spoken true, and I would gladly echo what he said. Knights of Rohan, kindly withdraw, if you will, and excuse us while we discuss this and other matters. We will be in touch with you shortly."

When they have left - if they do - he will say to his companions, "It seems to me that Ethelwine thinks a bit too well of himself and is perhaps too proud to easily join our band. Despite his undoubted abilities, it might not be worth the trouble of having him along. I would favor inviting the other two to join us in our quest, though."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 10 Mar 2012 at 12:08 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I would agree with you, Thoroncir", replies Rorimac, "a pure heart is needed to help move the item when found, not a proud one. I'm sure all three of them can fight ably alongside us, but leadership and direction is not something we lack. Cwenhild and Wilfrid, if they are both able to join us. If just the one, I believe Cwenhild would likely be of more assistance."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Gilraen concurs with Rorimac and quietly adds, "might be nice to have some more women around wouldn't it Angelica?"

Drindoleth is just curious, can the King spare two of his top Knights? Ceol can quickly verify this though and finds the answer is that 2 is fine especially if Ethelwine is not one of them as he is fairly senior in the military of the Mark and the others are not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I hate to point this out Gilraen, but I think her needlework involves pushing sharp pointy objects into things that scream and bleed, or if undead then things that just scream, and not creating a pretty pattern of a plant on some fabric. However, if you want a conversation on the best way to sew up a wound, I'm sure you can swap plenty of stories." responds Mulligan, "I'm just glad it wasn't Ethelwine. I'm not sure I would respond well to be continuously ordered around by him. Young hobbit girl, travelling along with the heroes, obviously there to cook and clean and so on."

Registered
    Feb 2009

With a laugh Gilraen says, "True, Mulligan, true, but still it looks like we'll be up to 4 women heading north. It feels refreshing somehow."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Although it is hardly customary for such parties to have so many women," Thoroncir says, smiling, "I have no objection, and I think we will all be the better for it."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"I concur...I believe that both Cwenhild and Wilfrid will fit well, and be well-suited for our quest."

Registered
    Feb 2009

It sounds like enough of a consensus, you will present the decision to the 3 and the King?

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"I concur with the party. Cwenhild and Wilfrid seem like they'd be good fits for the party, and Ethelwine, while a capable fighter, less so. If the King also needs Ethelwine to serve in his own army, I think our decision is made. Let's invite Cwenhild and Wilfrid to accompany us."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Bearing Rilthol and delighted to have been able to spend a few hours with his old friend, Gil-Gandel heads for the rendezvous at the best speed Cúran can manage. and that would give the Pony Express pause.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I suggest we speak to the King first to secure his approval," Thoroncir says, "and then tell the three, each separately. I would not want Ethelwine to feel his honor had been besmirched, or that he had lost face, by being told of our decision in front of the others."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Agreed, and I think you and Ceol are the perfect people to inform his Majesty and his knights to the outcome of our decision. Don't wait too long, otherwise Gil-Gandel wil be chiding us for tarrying overlong here."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"Yes...let us speak with the King as soon as we might, to receive his approval on recruiting both Cwenhild and Wilfrid. I agree, friend Thoroncir, we should speak to the three individually, about our decision. I do fear that Ethelwine may take the news poorly, but if presented by you, as the leader of our party, so designated by King Elessar, and by me, as a fellow Knight of the Mark, it may at least be seen as a military decision by him."

Registered
    Feb 2009

The King will see you now.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Would you like to speak first, O noble Ceol, or shall I?" Thoroncir asks his Rohirric friend before they are shown into the King's presence. "As he is your liege, I am content to have you explain the party's decision, if you wish."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Ceol nods to Thoroncir. "I believe that makes sense, Thoroncir. I shall take the lead, but please feel free to add your thoughts."

When the group is shown in to King Elfwine, Ceol bows deeply. "Thank you, my liege, for this audience, and for the opportunity to consider three of our realm's finest knights to accompany us on our quest.

"After speaking with all three of them, we have no doubts that all of them would fight with distinction, and bring honor to themselves and to Rohan. The only real concern we had with any of them is that our group does not always follow a military chain of command, and many of us fear that Sir Ethelwine may struggle with that, if he were to join us.

"And, so, now, on behalf of our party, I ask another boon of you, your majesty. We all feel that both Cwenhild and Wilfrid would fit well with us, and bring valuable skills to our quest. By your leave, we would like to ask both of them to accompany us."

Registered
    Feb 2009

The King mulls it over and answers, "I think you choose wisely and leave me one of my best officer so I will not begrudge the aid of two Holy Knights. Good luck and may success follow you."

This should set the party up to leave shortly.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan and Rorimac are quite happy that the King has given his blessing and hope that Sir Ethelwine takes it well. And following that, leave by midday and get a good start heading for Bree.

Any last requests for the Rohan, make them now or wait a few months until we return.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thoroncir clasps Ceol's shoulder as they leave the royal presence. "Well done, my friend. Just what needed to be said, in just the way it needed to be said. Now I will break the news to Ethelwine if you would like to speak to the other two, if that would suit you."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 13 Mar 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

"Thank you, my liege. May we bring honor to you, and to Rohan, with our exploits." He bows again.

As the party departs their audience, Ceol thanks Thoroncir. "Your praise means much to me, my friend. You have far more experience than I in this sort of meeting. If you would like me to accompany you to speak with Ethelwine, I would be happy to do so. Otherwise, I will inform Cwenhild and Wilfrid, so they may make their preparations to depart."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sir Thoroncir is thoughtful for a moment and then says, "If you are willing, yes, please come with me when I meet with Ethelwine. I suspect it will draw the sting, perhaps a little, for him to be told of our decision by one who is not of Rohan. But you are of course welcome to speak up if you wish."

When they have met with the proud knight, Thoroncir bows and says, "I again thank you, good sir knight, for your willingness to serve in our party. Any of you three would doubtless have been an asset to us, and in deciding who to bring we have carefully considered the path ahead of us, and the challenges we have yet to overcome, but also the needs of this fair kingdom, Gondor's friend and ally since time immemorial. Accordingly, it was the shared sense of the party that Cwenhild and Wilfrid ought to come with us, while we refrain from taking you away from your very important military duties for the Mark." He bows again. "I hope that this meets with your approval, as it already has with that of your lord the King."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 13 Mar 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ethelwine looks a little surprised but then graciously replies, "I appreciate your careful consideration and it does make more sense to gain a pair to assist you and as you noted my own duties in Rohan are perhaps deeper. I wish you success in your blessed quest and that Oromë will guide your hands and horses."

In meeting with the other pair Wilfrid says simply, "Let us make ready to ride."

Cwenhild is quite excited and burbled, "Thank you, I shall do your quest proud and help to the best of my abilities."

The party is ready to ride and can depart after a good early lunch by 11am.

It is smooth riding the next few days and the 2 extra members begin comparing notes and learning the disposition of the watch and the marches. Top Sgt. Mandor has the camps running smoothly and working well with some practice runs with the Druid.

The roads remain fairly busy through the days though only rarely do riders overtake and pass the party. The party over take wagons and riders heading to the north. There are many wagons coming down from the south. Much is produce from the Shire led by a mix bag of Dwarves, Humans and Hobbits. In many cases it appears Rohan is buying goods from the Shire and selling much of their own produce to Minas Tirith. Hardier items like wheat and pipeweed though go directly to Gondor in many cases and the Dwarves also deal in finished craft items of course to both nations.

The party meets back up with Gil-Gandel without Gwaelur as the land grows more open and population light. The party will reach the Gap of Rohan by evening.

It is at this point I could use a watch list and basic riding order. You will probably want to ride 3-4 wide. Each of the squad have 2 horses as do some others of the party. There are 32 total from my count between 9 party members, Lorliana, Cwenhild and Wilfrid and the 20 man squad.

The Next morning will be August 11th, FA65.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 29 Mar 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rorimac is happy to take point for most days with one other and will also take Wilfred and Cwenhild out front if they want, to give them some ideas of the signalling that has been used for a little while between the group.

Mulligan is happy to remain looking as meek and innocent as always in the middle of the group.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Bitur will ride near the front, rear, or along an outside flank.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Gil-Gandel will drop in as rear guard, having both the mobility and range to help quickly should anything develop at the front and being well placed to swing out and flank any enemy that turns up.

On hearing of the debate and decision as to the paladins, Gil-Gandel adds "Good. It seems as though Ethelwine is an excellent officer, and since we have little need of one, he should stay where there is work for an officer to do. All parties are well served by this choice."
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

Proposed watch list
    (each watch to last two hours and also include five soldiers of Gondor, as selected by Mandor):
    Lorliana, Cwenhild and Bitur
    Deor, Thoroncir and Gil-Gandel
    Rorimac, Ceol and Drindoleth
    Gilraen, Mulligan and Wilfrid

Proposed riding order
    Rorimac, Wilfrid and Cwenhild
    Thoroncir, Gilraen and Ceol
    Mulligan, Lorliana and Bitur
    Deor and Drindoleth
    Mandor
    20 soldiers of Gondor in ranks of three
    Gil-Gandel

Alternatives welcomed....
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Mar 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rorimac suggests swapping Mulligan and Drindoleth in the watch list, if only for a slightly more even distribution of upfront capable fighters.

That and the fact Mulligan has been making comments about Rorimac finding his Dernhelm, the early start will do her good.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Gilraen wonders, "Shouldn't Bitur be on a dark watch and Deor the Wizard on either 1st or last to have full sleep to recover his spells. Even the Hobbits are better at night then most of the men, though Missy will help out at darkest night."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Would it make sense to have the sharp-eyed and stealthy Mulligan at or closer to the front rank of the riding order?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thoroncir, I can do well on much less sleep than Men. I will cover both middle watches, when my senses will be of most use. The ease that your mind finds in dreams, mine can find while my body is wide awake.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2009

"I have no objection to switching places with Mulligan in the watch, assuming no one else has good reason not to take Rorimac's suggestion?"
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Like so?

Proposed watch list
    (each watch to last two hours and also include five soldiers of Gondor, as selected by Mandor):
    Lorliana, Cwenhild and Deor
    Bitur, Thoroncir and Gil-Gandel
    Rorimac, Ceol and Gil-Gandel
    Gilraen, Drindoleth and Wilfrid

Proposed riding order
    Rorimac and Mulligan
    Wilfrid and Cwenhild
    Thoroncir, Gilraen and Ceol
    Lorliana and Bitur
    Deor and Drindoleth
    Mandor
    20 soldiers of Gondor in ranks of three
    Gil-Gandel

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mulligan looks at the watch list, smiles and makes a mental note to give Thoroncir an extra rasher of bacon at breakfast.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That's OK, Mulligan - the breakfast cook has to be up early anyway.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2010

All looks good to me. Ceol notes, with satisfaction, the heavy armor surrounding Princess Gilraen on almost all sides in our riding order.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Lorlianna brings up one problem, "Like Gilraen, should myself and Deor be in the middle of a 3 wide rank for protection. I believe we are both more likely to die from an ambush then Gilraen in fact."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Not to mention 20 people managing to march in ranks of three is quite a feat", smiles Rorimac.

"Try this one instead."

Rorimac and one of Ceol/Wilfrid/Cwenhild in rotation

2 soldiers of Gondor
    Mandor and Thoroncir
    Mulligan and Gilraen
    Lorliana and Bitur
    Deor and Drindoleth
    Ceol/Wilfrid/Cwenhild in rotation

Middle three pairs with a soldier of Gondor on each side.

12 soldiers of Gondor in four ranks of three + spare horses.

Gil-Gandel

"A scout and a strong Paladin up front, soldiers guarding the centre, the rest helping with the train, and Gil-Gandel watching all with a smile."

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Thoroncir's proposed watch list sounds just fine, and Deor will leave discussions of the marching order to those with the most tactical training.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well, as no-one has raised anything further about it", enquires Rorimac, "I guess that's our riding order then. Is it acceptable Sir Thoroncir?"

+ Reply to thread