+ Reply to thread

Thread: Life in hell: The Dollar General Diet.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Life in hell: The Dollar General Diet.

Just wondering, do people live only on food purchased at dollar stores?

What would it be like to live, for a month, only on food purchased from a dollar store?

Would you save money? Would you feel like crap? How much would it suck?
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

"I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Scurvy.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Bleh. I suppose canned veggies, some grain products and milk (most of them around here have a small cooler, at least) wouldn't kill you in a month. You'd just want to die.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Scurvy.
    And constipation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Also:

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I like this one:

So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I dunno. We don't have Dollar Generals here, but I assume it's like Dollarama. There you can get rice, pasta, sauce, canned meat and fish and stew, tinned fruits and vegetables, etc. it wouldn't be fine dining, but I bet you could be as well nourished as, say, you would be in the Army on deployment.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I smell a challenge.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Our equivalent only really sells junk food. Can you live on chocolate, crisps, and fizzy pop?

Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    I smell a challenge.
    I think it would be a good idea to get your kidney function checked before taking this on, because it sounds like a veritable sodium-fest.

I am completely skeeved by the idea of eating food from the dollar store. I've never really even liked buying sodas from the case by the register. I'm not sure why, other than that I feel like the durable goods from there are always a level or two crappier than what you'd get at Target or whatever, and I assume the food would be the same, even when it's the same brands available in other stores.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    I think it would be a good idea to get your kidney function checked before taking this on, because it sounds like a veritable sodium-fest.

I am completely skeeved by the idea of eating food from the dollar store. I've never really even liked buying sodas from the case by the register. I'm not sure why, other than that I feel like the durable goods from there are always a level or two crappier than what you'd get at Target or whatever, and I assume the food would be the same, even when it's the same brands available in other stores.

If there was an equivalent of "day old bread" for other foods, it would be on the shelves at the dollar store?

find me at Goodreads

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    Our equivalent only really sells junk food. Can you live on chocolate, crisps, and fizzy pop?
    I know people that have tried it.

The Dollar Tree, another $ store chain has Ramen and enough other stuff where I suspect for a healthy person to live on their food would be no worse then many college age diets.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by artifex View post
    Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    I smell a challenge.

I'm with you. I always wonder how the food got there.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This goes hand in hand with my fear of food from China.

I wont eat anything with nuts or soy from China. I have no faith that anything edible from China has been handled in a safe manner, or not grown in soil blended with refuse chemical smegma.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just back from Dollar General. Lots of off-brand salty snacks and soda.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Check in on him in a few days, willya Sarahfeena?

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Check in on him in a few days, willya Sarahfeena?
    No kidding...I think I'd better.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh dear. If he didn't have high blood pressure before...

Registered
    Mar 2009

And he's not logged in right now, so I hope he's not in some sort of junk food-induced coma.

Registered
    Mar 2009

If he doesn't post anything by tomorrow, I think we should assume the worst.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Good God, I'm not doing this!

We were there to pick up some stuff for a science experiment my daughter is doing for school. I did look around for good items. Slim, disturbing pickings. Most impressed by all the looks-like-Lay's off-brand salty snacks.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's good to know you're still with us.

I'm not sure if they're still around these days, but there had been a chain of stores simply called The Dollar Store in Las Vegas when I lived out there. During my brief tenure working in a hotel, there was a convention of what I assume were the franchise owners. At the time, the stores had real groceries in them. It was just that everything was imported from Mexico. My sister, the ravenous deal hunter, would shop there at times.

Registered
    Mar 2009

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Dr Thunder and Twist Up? Oh man, we're talking some high quality stuff here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'd actually try the Sweet Sue Chicken & Dumplings. I'm a sucker for chicken and dumplings, and hey, they're made from scratch!

Registered
    Mar 2009

The nearest Dollar Store to my house is Dollartree, and they also carry some limited groceries. There's a new 99cent Only store nearby, and I think they have a wider selection.

I'm tempted to take $10 or $20 over and see what I can get.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    I'd actually try the Sweet Sue Chicken & Dumplings. I'm a sucker for chicken and dumplings, and hey, they're made from scratch!
    "Scratch" = name of Sweet Sue's dog.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, look! You can get rapper flavored potato chips.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Tastes like sweat and Axe body spray. Yum.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Milk Chocolate with popping candy?

Registered
    Feb 2009

So over lunch I went into Dollarama for some tissues and such like, and made a brief note of the food, without trying to be comprehensive.

Lots of salty snack and candy, but also: canned fruit, many kinds; canned vegetables; bread (white, whole wheat, 9 grain); Kellogs Corn Flakes and Cap'n Crunch; canned ham and luncheon meat and chicken flakes; canned stews and soups; canned tuna and tuna salad nicoise; vegetable cocktail and Perrier water; dried past and canned sauces; canned beans; canned pasta; boxed mac and cheese; stove top stuffing and ricearoni type stuff; pancake mix. Mix of major labels and small brands.

Didn't see any cow milk, but there was soy drink.

I really think that you could eat adequately, if not well, for an indefinite period out of stuff you bought there.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That's not too bad, honestly. I would take the Dollar General Month Challenge assuming I could keep taking my current supplements. I'd just have to make sure I got plenty of water and potassium to prepare for what would probably be a serious uptick in sodium intake.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

My most recent visit was actually to a Dollar Tree, a place with far fewer--and far less healthy--food options. The Dollorama board of fare seems almost decent.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Tastes like sweat and Axe body spray. Yum.
    "The only breakfast cereal with healed blunt-force trauma wounds and a criminal record!"

Registered
    Feb 2012

Spam? I could do Spam. Lived on it for months at a time in the Army (mid-'70s, right after Vietnam, lots of leftover C-rations.) I loves me some Spam.

Is Dollar General worse than Walgreen's?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Much worse. The Walgreen's, at least the ones I've known, actually have a pretty good food selection, because they have a refrigerator and freezer. I was at my local Walgreen's last week looking for an Ace bandage and ice for artifex's sprained ankle and they had milk, eggs, cheese, lunchmeat, frozen pizzas, (prewrapped) deli sandwiches, and quite a bit of cereal, chips, and canned soups and stews. It would be brutally expensive, and there was no produce or non-processed meat, but you could do a decent job of grocery shopping there in a pinch.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 19 Feb 2012 at 09:29 AM.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

My kid and I were at a different Dollarama today. Food was about the same, but something that struck us was that they offer gift cards. I imagined some Homer Simpson type running into the Dollar Store on Valentine's day and buying his lady love a one dollar greeting card and a ten dollar gift card.

+ Reply to thread