+ Reply to thread

Thread: A question of apostrophes?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default A question of apostrophes?

Waterstone's, the largest British book chain that was founded by Tim Waterstone is now changing it's name to drop the apostrophe. It will now be known as Waterstones, which is probably how most people would remember it anyway. It will also make it easier in the digital age where it has already dropped the apostrophe online.

However, the Apostrophe Protection Society has said that it is grammatically incorrect and they should have left it in.

So, should Waterstone's leave the apostrophe in, does it matter and are some people just a little too hung up on English grammer?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Waterstone's, the largest British book chain that was founded by Tim Waterstone is now changing it's name....
    Emphasis added.

This was a gag, right? You're misappropriating their apostrophe?

My answer: Doesn't matter. Companies can call themselves whatever they want, with made-up words, odd capitalization or lack thereof, and odd punctuation. Those who are disgusted can shop elsewhere.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I seem to recall that the possessive apostrophe was a mistake in the first place, when early English grammarians convinced themselves that the possessive "s" was a shortening of "his".

Anyway, it's not something I can care about much, and anything that makes it simple to use a touchscreen is all to the good, I say.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I wonder if apostrophes in general are on their way out. It seems like they are used incorrectly more than correctly these days.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thought the Waterstone business had folded... Has in Ireland at least.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I wonder if apostrophes in general are on their way out. It seems like they are used incorrectly more than correctly these days.
    Meanwhile, quotation marks are being "used" far more "often."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heh. My wife just got this for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Unnecessa...6856964&sr=8-1

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, that looks like something I'd enjoy. I might need to get a copy. I start itching for a big red pen so often when I see signs these days.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

+ Reply to thread