+ Reply to thread

Thread: Golden Globes 2012

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Golden Globes 2012

Its the Golden Globes coming up with your very special host Ricky Gervias, back for a third year.

It's going to be packed and I reckon a lot of celebs will be waiting to see who he picks on, and hoping it isn't them. Or if he does, they hope its gentle.

So, anyone want to guess who he will be picking on this time and I'm guessing the ratings are going to be really high. I wonder if they are trying to steal the Oscar's appeal seeing as the last couple of them have been pretty dire.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Is Limitless nominated for anything? Best movie all last year, I thought.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I seem to have lost interest in pretty much all awards shows, but the Golden Globes are perhaps the most interesting at this point for one reason: alcohol. It's the only one where the celebrities have booze in front of them all night, and it leaves room for a bit of uncontrolled by publicists fun.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, it is fun watching movie stars get hammered. But I feel like this was a pretty crap year for movies, so I doubt I'll be tuning in.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    To answer my question: No.

http://www.goldenglobes.org/blog/201...s-nominations/

Feh.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I didn't see all of it, but what I did see wasn't all that interesting. Gervais didn't say much that was edgy, and although there were some wine-induced slips of the tongue, nothing shocking. And no wine-induced slips of the dress that I noticed.

Anybody else watch it at all?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just Meryl Streep. Yet another prestigious award won, and you'd swear it was her first ever, she's so flustered and pleased by it. She is really a class act.

Loved seeing Sidney Poitier...can hardly believe he's 85 years old. He looks amazing.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, when Poitier and Freeman were together, I was thinking "Whoah, Freeman is older than God, but Poitier was already a big star when Freeman was playing Pimp Number . How old does that make Poitier?" (And my wife checked -- ten years older than Freeman. Yes, he does look good.)

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just streamed this on Netflix with the wife yesterday morning. It was a lot of fun. I like slightly brainy thrillers like that, and all the acting was really good. One of De Niro's better performances in the last ten years.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    I just streamed this on Netflix with the wife yesterday morning. It was a lot of fun. I like slightly brainy thrillers like that, and all the acting was really good. One of De Niro's better performances in the last ten years.
    Agreed on all counts. You may enjoy this thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=601289

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Yeah, when Poitier and Freeman were together, I was thinking "Whoah, Freeman is older than God, but Poitier was already a big star when Freeman was playing Pimp Number . How old does that make Poitier?" (And my wife checked -- ten years older than Freeman. Yes, he does look good.)
    Ha ha, I had pretty much the same thought, so I looked up their ages, too! Poitier looks better than Freeman, actually. Course, he was always a lot better looking. (Sorry, Mr. Freeman, you know I love you. )

+ Reply to thread