+ Reply to thread

Thread: Does Harry Potter deserve an Oscar?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Does Harry Potter deserve an Oscar?

As a set of films it has earned an awful lot of money and has delighted kids everywhere over the last decade or so with all eight films.

But it has never really been accoladed with any awards for its achievements. Either the acting within them or the special effects and writing that has gone into them.

For instance, in total it has earned 9 oscar nominations in minor categories and won nothing.

In some ways, it looks like nothing will change for the final film, despite it being well received and, of course, earning a bucket load on release.

Should it be nominated for Best Picture and other major awards, or is it to much of kids film to be considered?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't even think they have been off-the-charts amazing movies. They're decently acted. The sets and costumes continue to be excellent, and the CGI is always good but never jaw-dropping. Good soundtracks. I've enjoyed them, but if it's even nominated for Best Picture, I don't see how that could be anything but a nod to the series' monster financial success.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I wouldn't have thought to nominate any of them. I would not think there was a winner in the bunch.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

They are enjoyable movies, which IMO range from "surprisingly decent" to "laughably dismal". I wouldn't call any of them Best Picture quality. Same goes for the acting.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Maybe Best Supporting Actor for Alan Rickman? I guess I could also see noms for Costumes, Cinematography, Editing, Score or Set Design, but otherwise no, much as I've enjoyed them.

+ Reply to thread