Thread: Olive Garden customers afraid of capers, pesto

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Olive Garden customers afraid of capers, pesto

No kidding:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1163544.html

Prefer "cheesy, chickeny things."
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Prefer "cheesy, chickeny things."
    Let's face it, don't we all?

Registered
    Mar 2009

They find gnocchi too adventurous? That's just sad.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

John Caron, president of Olive Garden, admits that on the flip side, the chain can't only offer "cheesy, chickeny things and pastay things," because such dishes may alienate customers with more advanced palates.
    I don't get why that's a concern. Isn't the point of Olive Garden (and most large chains) to provide familiar, safe, consistent choices that in their case are Italian-influenced? If those 'fancy' dishes sold well to more "advanced palates" then it wouldn't be a problem, but they don't seem to be. Fine. Maybe it's possible that some diners might be concerned merely by their existence on the menu, but I kind of doubt that.

I think Olive Garden's problem is not in the choices they're offering, but something else. (My guess is quality of the food, but I can't really say since I have not eaten there in years).

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've eaten at Olive Garden and quite enjoyed it. To be honest I've had worse food in Italy. Some places we went to there were way substandard compared to what an Irish or American person might expect in a restaurant.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Their entrees are way too large (and their alfredo sauce is bleh), but I think the ZOMGOLIVEGARDENISVOMITROCIOUS thing is quite exaggerated. It's not an amazing fine-dining experience, but they have plenty of edible food. I know their Zuppa Toscana isn't an authentic recipe, but it's pretty tasty.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I usually get the soup, salad, and breaksticks deal when I go. I don't know what they put in that minestrone. My guess is crack. I could eat that forever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I never bought into the anti-Olive Garden snobbery, either. I've had very good Italian food, here and abroad (although I've never actually been to Italy), and I've had very bad Italian-kinda-inspired food. OG is somewhere in-between, closer to the former than the latter IMHO. You pretty much get what you pay for.

I never had pesto before I was in college, and now I love, love, love it. I could take or leave capers, though.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    I usually get the soup, salad, and breaksticks deal when I go. I don't know what they put in that minestrone. My guess is crack. I could eat that forever.
    This is usually what I get, though I've liked all of their entrees that I've tried. It's not terribly exciting stuff, but it's satisfying and you know what quality you're getting when you order it. Pretty much the reason why anyone goes to a family dining place like that.

I adore pesto, which is one reason why I'm looking forward to a nice big crop of basil this year. It's very satisfying to open up the freezer and have it full of little frozen portions of pesto, ready all year round.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Dec 2012

Dang. Now I want Olive Garden. Specifically the steak & gorgonzola pasta.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I know Americans make fun of Olive Garden, but I still wouldn't mind trying one out.

Registered
    Dec 2012

Well, some people are just snobs & don't think it's proper food unless it's certified organic something or other made in a locally grown yurt with some obscure spice flown in from the Amazon jungle sprinkled on top. Otherwise it caters to the masses. *shrug* Guess I'm the masses.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    I know Americans make fun of Olive Garden, but I still wouldn't mind trying one out.
    I found it fine. I won't say it was the most amazing food I've eaten because it wasn't but there are far worse American chains like Denny's etc. that I'd have far more of a problem with. Even then I've not found an American chain that sold inedible food.

+ Reply to thread