+ Reply to thread

Thread: There is a Hobbit trailer

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default There is a Hobbit trailer

And here it is.

A) I like the dwarf song.

B) I'm wondering WTF Galadriel is doing there.

In other news: New Zealand still beautiful.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It looks good and the work on the dwarves is promising. Martin Freeman is going to be an excellent Bilbo. I don't think you could have got away with picking someone who wasn't able to be quintessentially english for the role. I just hope Jackson doesn't take too many liberties with the material, because it doesn't need it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I just hope Jackson doesn't take too many liberties with the material, because it doesn't need it.
    Absolutely agreed.

It does look very nice visually and I like the casting. If Jackson sticks close to the book, it could be fantastic. Based on what I've heard about his plans for The Hobbit, I worry that won't be the case.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It looks nice visually, similar to the first half of the first LotR movie, which was, for my money, the best-looking part of the PJ trilogy. The indoor and outdoor sets look stunning. Unfortunately, Thorin Oakenshield looks like a Klingon.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I find Thorin to be extremely confusing, because I think Richard Armitage is a bucket of sexy, but dwarves are ... dwarves.
    Last edited by Orual; 21 Dec 2011 at 10:20 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

+ =
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Does anyone else think that the start of the journey perhaps as far as the escape from the Orcs at Misty Mountain will be great, but Smaug and the Dale is going to be a complete let down.

I really hope he doesn't have the elves turning up at the battle of the five armies as well.

Also, expect lots of foreshadowing and flashbacks to tie into the other movies.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    ...I really hope he doesn't have the elves turning up at the battle of the five armies as well.

And Arwen replacing Beorn.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    They've got some surly-looking Swedish guy playing Beorn, so that shouldn't be a worry.

I don't think there's been anything shown of Smaug yet.

Personally, I'm not nearly so fond of The Hobbit as I am of Lord of the Rings, so whatever changes they make probably won't bother me so much, since I probably won't even notice them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    They've got some surly-looking Swedish guy playing Beorn, so that shouldn't be a worry.

Hmm, I assumed that meant they would have Arwen replacing Bard, but apparently there's a Welsh actor playing him.

I'm stumped, who's Arwen going to be replacing? Bombur, maybe?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm sure she'll be wandering around Rivendell, much like Legolas will be nancing about in Mirkwood.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I really hope he doesn't have the elves turning up at the battle of the five armies as well
    This is a joke? Yes? Please?

Or do you specifically mean Elves of Rivendell?

I'll have to watch the trailer later.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I really hope he doesn't have the elves turning up at the battle of the five armies as well

Yeah, I thought there were elves at the Battle of Five Armies ...

Please let us know your thoughts.
    Last edited by Orual; 21 Dec 2011 at 02:05 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

There were wood elves at the Battle of the Five Armies, but I assume CIAS is making a joke about yeah, Rivendell elves showing up Helm's Deep style. Hey, that's it, Arwen will lead the High Elven army.
    Last edited by Rube E. Tewesday; 21 Dec 2011 at 04:14 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks good and casting Arthur Dent/Dr. Watson as Bilbo is absolutely perfect. Martin Freeman is brilliant casting for Bilbo and he pulled off Arthur Dent very well who was in many ways a Bilbo Clone anyway.

Most of the Dwarves look right a few did not but that should be minor. I hope Galadriel is a flashback or the meeting of the White Council and not something worse.

As to the Battle of the Five Armies, Thranduil led a fairly good size army of Elves to Erebor to succor the Lake Men and lay claim to a share of Smaug's Hoard. Though none among them were probably as fearful a foe as Elladan or Elrohir or the other Chiefs of Imraldis and especially none were as dangerous as Glorfindel to the enemy.

Jackson will have several opportunities to have Legolas towards the end of the movie without being a major issue. Arwen could be at Rivendell or not. I actually hope not.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Here's another link to the trailer:

I liked what I saw. The rapid-fire intro of all the Dwarves was nice. Freeman looks like he'll make a great Bilbo. Two questions:

1:20: Gandalf at Weathertop, or somewhere else?

1:52: Are those Elven knights riding around Thorin & Co. at Rivendell?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post

It looks like Weathertop to me, isn't Gandalf supposed to get in a fight there?

The riders have Elven pennants on their spears; the one in the middle looks like it might be a brunette lady-elf.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Jackson will have several opportunities to have Legolas towards the end of the movie without being a major issue. Arwen could be at Rivendell or not. I actually hope not.
    Legolas could also appear as the Dwarves are held in the Wood Elves' prison, especially in brief background shots, without any overt contradiction of the Professor's story, I think. I didn't see Liv Tyler's name associated with this film, so I assume that she's not in it in any substantial way, which is probably just as well. I can't see what Arwen has to add to this story.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post

It looks like Weathertop to me, isn't Gandalf supposed to get in a fight there?

The riders have Elven pennants on their spears; the one in the middle looks like it might be a brunette lady-elf.
    The Weathertop battle was years later during the beginning of the War of the Ring. It could besomething tied to the off-screen (well off-book) action of the White Council vs Dol Guldor when they forced Sauron (The Necromancer) out. This would also explain Galadriel's appearance.

Registered
    Feb 2009

There was speculation that Jackson was going to add in the White Council at Dol Guldur action, and yes, Galadriel would play a play a part in it, but one I could do without.

I was "kidding" about the Arwen thing....I'm still ticked off about her replacing Glorfindel, the baddest Elf of all time, an Elf so tough the Halls of Manos couldn't hold him, in the movies.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The Weathertop battle was years later during the beginning of the War of the Ring. It could besomething tied to the off-screen (well off-book) action of the White Council vs Dol Guldor when they forced Sauron (The Necromancer) out. This would also explain Galadriel's appearance.
    I probably should read the Hobbit again. Then I might know these things.

Registered
    Feb 2009

There was speculation that Jackson was going to add in the White Council at Dol Guldur action, and yes, Galadriel would play a play a part in it, but one I could do without.

I was "kidding" about the Arwen thing....I'm still ticked off about her replacing Glorfindel, the baddest Elf of all time, an Elf so tough the Halls of Manos couldn't hold him, in the movies.
    Indeed, the Witchking who apparently brought the North Kingdom of Arnor down and destroyed the 3 sub-kingdoms piece by piece. The Witchking whose icy touch reach even to far Forochel to sink a boat of the Grey Havens with the last King of Arnor on board and one of the Palantirs. This Witchking fled from the North when Glorfindel road north into Angmar itself. If only he had done it sooner. 9 Ring Wraith united were afraid of him at the Fords and this was with the Ring nearly in their grasp. This is the same Glorfindel that slew a Balrog at the sack of Gondolin. OK, he died doing it, but he got better.

Losing Glorfindel in the movie was terrible.

I always assumed in the end the reason Glorfindel did not and could not go with the Fellowship was he was to noticible. He would have been like a beacon of light nearing Mordor and even he could not fight through all the armies of Mordor. I'm sure Sauron was on the lookout for spying missions by the Eagles and attacks by the likes of Glorfindel or Galadriel.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This is partly a joke and partly because Jackson will go out of his way to do things like this.

I mean remember how the Frodo and Sam made it all the way to Osgiliath? Yes, the Thranduil's wood elves are there, but I'm expecting them to get upgraded to "proper" Rivendell elves.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, the only wood-elf we've ever seen is Legolas, and personally, I'd have a hard time differentiating him from 'proper' Rivendell elves, so I'm not sure what the issue is here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, the only wood-elf we've ever seen is Legolas, and personally, I'd have a hard time differentiating him from 'proper' Rivendell elves, so I'm not sure what the issue is here.
    Orual, once the holidays are over, turn in your geek credentials.

+ Reply to thread