+ Reply to thread

Thread: Credit where it's due

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Credit where it's due

Last night was my kid's Christmas concert (excuse me, "Winter" concert). My wife and I were grumbling that, as usual, the kids would be adorable, but the concert would be ruined by parents standing up to take pictures, leaving as soon as their own kids were done, and talking loudly the whole time the kids were performing, even their own kids.

But none of that happened last night. Everybody behaved impeccably.

Since, if the parents had been doofuses again, I would likely have been here to Mellorant, I want to take the time to give credit where it's due.

Anybody else want to get some grudgingly given credit off their chests?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Our garbage men have been amazing this year. They took so much stuff after hurricane Irene flooded us and now my brother and I broke down my old couch & love seat and we've been putting it out in sections and it has been going. I need to make sure I get a good Xmas tip to them. This is a private garbage company as my town does not do garbage pickup.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I performed an experiment on Sunday evening at work, wishing everyone a happy holiday. With only one exception, people seemed genuinely pleased with my good wishes. Considering I have a coworker with an "It's okay to say 'Merry Christmas'" button and have had to deal with way too much "War of Christmas" crap on Facebook, I'll admit I wasn't expecting so much positivity.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Some school kids were in the store when I was painting the window. Teenage boys, I was just waiting for one of them to make a sneery comment. All I got was a polite and seemingly sincere "good job!"

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

People in my suburb are constantly at each other's throats. But at times such as the big flood, and my friend dying on Sunday, people seem to find some decency from somewhere. We/they pull together when it counts.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I just closed my account with Bank of America and the guy I dealt with on the phone was incredibly nice and helpful. He seemed a little confused by how warmly I thanked him, but it really was refreshing to have such a nice interaction with a person who holds a position that has to consist almost entirely of being yelled at.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I was in the mall at lunchtime. Both stores I was in were extremely busy, but both handled everything with efficiency and good cheer.

+ Reply to thread