+ Reply to thread

Thread: Greatest Christmas movie?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Greatest Christmas movie?

The other night, I asked my son "So, is A Christmas Story the greatest Christmas movie ever?". He said, no, Home Alone is, although he saw A Christmas Story as a close second.

I dunno, I don't think an adult can ever get into Home Alone as much as a kid, for whom it's a great fantasy movie. I think most everybody can relate to A Christmas Story -- so much of it rings true, whether or not you ever wanted a Daisy Red Ryder carbine.

So, what's your candidate? (Movies only, please, not TV specials like "A Charlie Brown Christmas".)

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The classic Miaracle on 34th Street
    Die Hard
    It's a Wonderful Life

I am not a fan of Home Alone or A Christmas Story oddly enough.

BTW: TCM is running a special this month about Christmas movies.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I like A Christmas Story best, I think. I love that the setting was a couple generations back, and yet everyone can still relate to it...cause the kid experience really doesn't change that much.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Die Hard doesn't count as a Christmas movie to me, even though it takes place at Christmas.

My favorite is probably Scrooged, or one of the many lovely versions of A Christmas Carol.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    Die Hard doesn't count as a Christmas movie to me, even though it takes place at Christmas.

My favorite is probably Scrooged, or one of the many lovely versions of A Christmas Carol.
    Fair enough on Die Hard, I just love that movie though. Scrooged is very good.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Scrooged is fantastic. I'm also a fan of A Christmas Story.

I don't think I've ever watched the entirety of It's a Wonderful Life. I've seen the very beginning and the end and probably all the pieces in between on their own, but not the whole thing at once.

Another adaptation of A Christmas Carol that I love is the Muppets version.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story. Call it a tie.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

I came here for A Christmas Story.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I only saw A Christmas Story as an adult. I think probably The Muppets Christmas Carol or Scrooged is my favourite. Probably Scrooged, it was a clever update on the classic story. I used to love that some of the British channels would show ghost/horror movies on late on Christmas Eve.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's a Wonderful Life, which I discovered in college and still love. What a great, great movie! A clever, funny script that is bittersweet and uplifting by turns, Jimmy Stewart at perhaps his most masterful, and an entirely delectable Donna Reed.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    It's a Wonderful Life, which I discovered in college and still love. What a great, great movie! A clever, funny script that is bittersweet and uplifting by turns, Jimmy Stewart at perhaps his most masterful, and an entirely delectable Donna Reed.
    And lets not forget the most perfect villain ever in Mr. Potter play by the great Lionel Barrymore

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I love Jimmy Stewart a lot, but for some reason I've never really internalized It's a Wonderful Life. I wonder if it's because I've seen too many sitcom parodies and the like.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Die Hard.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sadly, I think It's a Wonderful Life suffers from having become a holiday cliche or sorts. A shame, because it is actually a great movie. For most of the Eighties, you couldn't turn on a television in December without stumbling onto the movie.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 08 Dec 2011 at 11:41 AM.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Sep 2009

I haven't seen it in several years, so I'm probably ripe for a return to it. It never went stale for me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I had never really watched It's A Wonderful life either until this year actually, and it's terrifying the parallels that can be drawn between the issues faced during the Great Depression and the kinds of issues that we face today. It's just a little too poignant these days to become some sort of traditional comfort for me, although I envy those who got to grow up in a time where that movie was a delightful anachronism. I'm just sad that there are likely a lot more George's out there these days who won't find a Clarence in time.

But enough of my weepy bullshit, Die Hard is the only real answer to this question.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I love Jimmy Stewart a lot, but for some reason I've never really internalized It's a Wonderful Life. I wonder if it's because I've seen too many sitcom parodies and the like.
    The best to me is Beavis and Butt-head's Holiday Special, where the TV is going in the background (as it usually is), and all you hear is a quavery, Jimmy-Stewart-esque voice saying, "Look, Mary, everybody gave me money so I wouldn't kill myself!" It's just a three second throwaway gag, and I don't think you can even see the TV screen, but it made me laugh.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Man I forgot about that skit, a classic from one of their best shows. The ep also had Shatner epic rant about the fanboys needing to get a life.

+ Reply to thread