+ Reply to thread

Thread: DECEMBER COOKING CONTEST WOO

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default DECEMBER COOKING CONTEST WOO

You didn't know we were having monthly cooking contests? Well. That's probably because I just decided we are. Also this month is actually more of a baking contest. Anyway.

December's cooking baking contest challenge is....

MAKE AN EDIBLE VERSION OF SANDRA LEE'S KWANZAA CAKE

"Wait," you might be saying. "What the hell is Kwanzaa Cake? Or Kwanzaa for that matter?"

(pictured: the traditional Kwanzaa book)

Kwanzaa, according to Wikipedia, is "a week long celebration held in the United States honoring universal African-American heritage and culture, observed from December 26 to January 1 each year. It features activities such as lighting a candle holder with seven candles[1] and culminates in a feast and gift giving."

However, that's not the important part. The cake is what we want.

Sandra Lee hosts "Semi-Homemade Cooking" on Food Network, a show wherein she drunkenly slaps together premade items from the supermarket in an effort to pass them off as her own lovingly homemade goodies. Kwanzaa Cake is one of her most infamous creations. Here it is in all it's glory.

YOUR MISSION
    Create a "Kwanzaa Cake" you would happily serve to people you don't hate.

CRITERIA
    1. It must be cake-based
    2. There must be some kind of filling
    3. There must be "acorns" (come on, those were corn nuts) and pumpkin seeds or something to take their place
    4. It can be semi- or totally homemade
    5. Hilariously out of proportion candles are optional.

You must submit your entry by December 17th with a description of your ingredients and at least one picture of the final product. More pictures and delicious details are encouraged!

GRAND PRIZE
    Will be decided by voting. Voting will open Dec. 18th and close Dec. 21st. The baker with the most votes will win their choice of a Mini Gift Box, Grill and Broil Gift Box, or Baking Mini Gift Box from Penzeys Spices, plus all the you care to use until the next contest.

Now go Mellos! Go forth...and bake!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    3. There must be "acorns" (come on, those were corn nuts) and pumpkin seeds or something to take their place
    Would a nut that's actually used in African cuisine be acceptable to take their place? I'm not making a cake I won't eat, and I won't eat it with acorns.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Absolutely. It doesn't have to be a nut or a seed, just something to go on/around the cake that fills that role of "stuff we put on here because".

Registered
    Nov 2011

Default a couple questions

I guess stupid question: how do you post pics on a forum with a digital camera, I ask because I have never done that before? Also do we have to come up with our own recipe or can we find one and adapt to our taste?

Registered
    Nov 2011

Challenge accepted!! I have my eyes fixed on those spicy prizes!!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Mwaha, my evil plan to draw people to the board has worked.

Uh. I mean.

Quote Originally posted by trigungirl4561 View post
    I guess stupid question: how do you post pics on a forum with a digital camera, I ask because I have never done that before? Also do we have to come up with our own recipe or can we find one and adapt to our taste?
    Once you have the pictures on your computer, you'll need to upload them somewhere. Tinypic is easy to use, no account needed. Then you just copy the BBCode of the image and paste it into your message. If you need a walkthrough when the time comes let me know. Or: make you boyfriend do it.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't think I could possibly come up with anything as...delicious sounding...as that thing Sandra made, but I am going to ruminate on it and see if I can come up with something.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just a reminder: entries are due Saturday!

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've got my cake all planned out (whoo boy), but getting the picture could be difficult due to my camera situation.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The only problem is that if you want me to take a photo of the cake, I'm actually going to have to MAKE it. As opposed to just imagining it. I shall think on this...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm, photoshop beckons.....
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Two days, no pictures? WILL NO ONE RISE TO THIS CHALLENGE?

+ Reply to thread