+ Reply to thread

Thread: How prevelant has Black Friday become?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How prevelant has Black Friday become?

Is this an event which has become really popular over the last decade or so, or has it been around for a while.

For those in the USA, do you take wanton advantage of all the sales and offers on the day?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am still puzzled by how an inside-the-trade term came to be used commercially. I very much doubt most people have a clue as to the the terms origins.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's starting to make it's way into Australia, if only because the big American stores sell stuff internationally now. Who knew. But it's kinda jarring... Black <Day> refers to natural disasters, usually bushfires. And right now as summer approaches, we are getting into bushfire season.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, what is "black Friday" anyway? The day after Thanksgiving when people start Christmas shopping, and deals are offered? That's the impression I'm getting. But we didn't have that tradition when I was living in the US, at least not that I recall. It seems like something newish that has been around for a few years and is growing in popularity.

Registered
    Apr 2009

http://www.cracked.com/article_19572...elieve_p2.html

I have been getting many emails about this. Amazon even sends me separate emails about deals in different departments. I don't do Big Gifty Holiday, so I don't bother with the shopping and find it irritating.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It does really seem to be fast becoming a tradition. The newspapers on Thanksgiving have inches of vouchers and ads enticing consumers.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Black Friday's been going on here for about as long as I remember (I'm 26 for the record). However it keeps getting crazier. Stores would open at 6 AM. Then 5 AM. Then 4 AM. People would camp out for hours, then overnight, then days in advance, missing out on Thanksgiving entirely. Now we've got stores open ON Thanksgiving, having sales all week. It seems like there an increase in injuries, but that could just be due to increased awareness on my part.

I think it's insane and deeply stupid.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It has been accelerating like crazy here, many stores opening at midnight for this insanity and the toll of carnage is growing each year in my opinion. Muggings increasing in the lots and a pepper spray of 20 people incident in one store this year. The Walmart crushing last year. It is truly insane.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I quite dislike it starting to come to Canada. It's got nothing to do with our traditions, such as they are.

Registered
    Nov 2011

Having worked in retail for 7 years *shudder* I can say that it's gotten bigger and crazier every year. At our location we had people lining up outside on Wednesday morning. It's quickly becoming it's own pseudo-holiday, and I too, do not like it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

And may the universe help you if you run out of something. Even if it has nothing to do with the actual shopping. I worked for food court at Target one Black Friday and we ran out of popcorn. People acted like we'd stabbed their grandmothers right in front of them.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The local Target had a stabbing shortly after they opened their doors. The fiance of one of my managers works over there, and says they were herding people out almost as fast as they'd gotten them in.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I like to shop on Black Friday, but I don't like Black Friday shopping! We went out to a local mall at about 11 AM, after the most frenzied crowds were gone, and it was fun. I really don't understand the concept of beating down the door of Wal-Mart or trampling other shoppers to get a good deal.

Registered
    Mar 2009

One thing B&N did that made me a little proud of our corporate people, is they offered a "limited edition" Nook Second Edition for $20 less than the retail price of the regular Second Edition. When the limited edition models had run out, B&N sent out a barcode so that stores could honor the cheaper price for the regular model. Generally, from what I can tell, stores don't do things like that, and will even stock fewer of the discounted product on the days when it's on sale so that it doesn't cut too deeply into their profit margin.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Marsilia View post
    One thing B&N did that made me a little proud of our corporate people, is they offered a "limited edition" Nook Second Edition for $20 less than the retail price of the regular Second Edition. When the limited edition models had run out, B&N sent out a barcode so that stores could honor the cheaper price for the regular model. Generally, from what I can tell, stores don't do things like that, and will even stock fewer of the discounted product on the days when it's on sale so that it doesn't cut too deeply into their profit margin.
    That's really awesome. I've been so impressed with B&N since I got my nook...their customer service is just excellent.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That's what I've heard from other people as well, Sarah. Of course, with my devices and my dad's, I've been able to go through most of the troubleshooting and such on my own. Still, there was once I had to call the "800" number for my dad's Nook Color, and I could tell the rep was going down the list (and doing a darn good job), but I had to stop her and point out I work the digital counter in store and explain what I'd already tried.

Back on topic, I try to avoid Black Friday Shopping when I can. I just went to one store other than the one where I was paid to be there.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    I think it's insane and deeply stupid.
    Yes. I hate it so much. I hate the stupid commercials. I hate the general glorifying of random, pointless consumerism. I hate that it horns in on a nice, low-hype holiday.

(Those Best Buy commercials where horrible people buy so much stuff that there's no room for Santa to leave any toys make me want to stab someone in the eye. HOW IS BEING MEAN TO THE PERSONIFICATION OF THE SPIRIT OF GIVING A DESIRABLE THING.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    [....
    (Those Best Buy commercials where horrible people buy so much stuff that there's no room for Santa to leave any toys make me want to stab someone in the eye. HOW IS BEING MEAN TO THE PERSONIFICATION OF THE SPIRIT OF GIVING A DESIRABLE THING.)
    God, I hate those. You're such a See You Next Tuesday you've gotta upstage Santa Claus?

Move to Phillie or die, cow. Your choice.
    Last edited by Rube E. Tewesday; 28 Nov 2011 at 01:31 PM.

+ Reply to thread