+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things you'd think you'd like, but don't

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Things you'd think you'd like, but don't

At lunchtime I went to the liquor store to pick up some beer, which took me past the book store in the mall.

The two stores had items that got me thinking. I like beer, especially big flavourful beer. You'd think I'd like Scottish beeer, but I don't. Every Scottish and Scottish style beer I've ever had has had some kind of bizarre, off-putting flavour profile.

Similarly, I like Jane Austen. I like zombies. You'd think I'd like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. But I don't. It seems do have been written by someone with no appreciation for either Jane Austen or zombies.

Anyone got examples of their own?

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Walking Dead: Zombies, from comic, tv series, post-apocalyptic

It should be a winner for me, yet I haven't even bothered go near S2 and think I missed a couple of episodes of S1

The whole nerdification of pop culture: But that's a whole kettle of grenades I shan't be opening.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Carbonara/Alfredo. Smells delicious, but every time I've eaten it, I feel sick. Never again.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Scotch.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Terra Nova is a big budget scifi adventure series on Fox. It has all the things I like in mindless TV, including a conspiracy and allusions to cartoonishly evil corporate masterminds in the future. However, every time I've tried to watch, they pull out some fisci (fictional science) explanation for any of the major plot points, and I cringe, or yell at the TV, or fire off a complaint to Zuul about the lazy writing.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Candy. Corn.

Registered
    Sep 2009

But.. but... candy corn is delicious! I'll eat yours if you don't want it.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oliveloaf will mock me endlessly for this, but...The Rolling Stones. They are brilliant, their significance in the annals of modern music cannot be overstated, and they have certainly had profound influence on a lot of music I love. I know these things are true. Plus, I've seen them live and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. And yet...I don't really like them that much. I don't DISlike them or anything, but would I pull out one of their albums just to listen to? Nope.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Velvet Revolver. Also, Audioslave. Based on the ingredients, you'd think they'd be amazing, but much like dijon mustard and dark chocolate, just because they're great individually doesn't mean they'll be great together...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Velvet Revolver. Also, Audioslave. Based on the ingredients, you'd think they'd be amazing, but much like dijon mustard and dark chocolate, just because they're great individually doesn't mean they'll be great together...
    Oh testify brother. They're both shite, most supergroups, collaborations etc. tend to fall into that category too. I hear the Loutallica thing is execrable.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Oliveloaf will mock me endlessly for this, but...The Rolling Stones. They are brilliant, their significance in the annals of modern music cannot be overstated, and they have certainly had profound influence on a lot of music I love. I know these things are true. Plus, I've seen them live and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. And yet...I don't really like them that much. I don't DISlike them or anything, but would I pull out one of their albums just to listen to? Nope.
    Actively mocking you now.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

To be fair, there's a large number of classic, respected rockers that I really don't appreciate. I'm not really an Elvis fan, I hate Clapton, and don't enjoy Zeppelin.

I'm actually more annoyed that Sarahfeena doesn't love the Talking Heads.

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

How I Met Your Mother

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    How I Met Your Mother
    Seconded. I've seen some episodes and just meh.

Likewise Desperate Housewives, The Practice, Boston Legal, Survivor, The Great Race, The Apprentice, and hell, all reality TV.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    To be fair, there's a large number of classic, respected rockers that I really don't appreciate. I'm not really an Elvis fan, I hate Clapton, and don't enjoy Zeppelin.

I'm actually more annoyed that Sarahfeena doesn't love the Talking Heads.
    I am way way WAY closer to Talking Heads on the love scale than I am to the Rolling Stones. That sort of pretentious arty stuff isn't really my thing, but I find them more interesting to listen to.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Terry Pratchett books.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Terry Pratchett books.
    Yeparoonie!

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Terry Pratchett books.
    My only exposure to Pratchett is Good Omens, but he did manage to make it my least favorite Neil Gaiman book, so that should count for something.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    At lunchtime I went to the liquor store to pick up some beer, which took me past the book store in the mall.

The two stores had items that got me thinking. I like beer, especially big flavourful beer. You'd think I'd like Scottish beeer, but I don't. Every Scottish and Scottish style beer I've ever had has had some kind of bizarre, off-putting flavour profile.

Similarly, I like Jane Austen. I like zombies. You'd think I'd like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. But I don't. It seems do have been written by someone with no appreciation for either Jane Austen or zombies.

Anyone got examples of their own?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That is beautiful.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It is.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Friend of mine did it. I are proud.