+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fucking house fires

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Fucking house fires

I just got word this morning that my cousin's house caught fire last night. They live out in Oregon, so there isn't much I can do directly for them other than feel awful. The boys' bedroom was completely lost, as was their garage. The rest of their house is water damaged, but all of the people are safe and so are their cats and dog.

I don't know what kind of insurance they had, if any. They're still in shock and not thinking entirely straight, an experience I remember well.

Days before Thanksgiving and those kids have lost everything they own. I'm just praying the kids didn't do anything that caused the fire. Losing everything is bad enough. Having guilt on top of that isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy, but especially not a kid.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That's sad news Zuul.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That's terrible. And obviously you can't draw firm conclusions from initial facts being reported by freaked-out people, but if the worst fire damage truly is in the boys' room, that's not a good sign.

Are you OK, Zuul, or do you find this to be a triggering thing for you?
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, it isn't a good sign. I know the kids had a lot of electronics and they're rambunctious young boys, so there's all sorts of ways it could have started in there. I'm hoping it wasn't anything they did, because what a terrible burden of guilt for the kids and fear for their parents.

I'll admit, it has shaken me up quite a bit. I've tried giving them some advice for getting through the first twenty-four hours after something like this: contact Red Cross, get a list together of the things you need and give it to people who want to help, or else you're going to end up with twenty bags of socks and no coats for the kids, etc.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

When I saw the title, I had the most horrible thought it had happened to you again.

That's bad news regardless and I hope they can get through it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

{{{Caroline}}}
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    When I saw the title, I had the most horrible thought it had happened to you again.
    You are not the only one.

Thank goodness all the people and pets got out safe.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How terrible. I have a relative whose house burned down, and it was an accident on the part of one of the adults in the house. I've always thought they must have felt so awful about it, and I can't imagine how much worse it would be if one of the kids had done it. Crossing my fingers that the kids weren't responsible in this case.

So glad that everyone's ok, though, thank god for that.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very sorry to hear it. House fires can strike fast and do terrible damage in a very short time. Glad there were no injuries or deaths, at least.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Damn. I too had the first thought of "oh no, not Zuul - not again!" I'm sure this does bring back a lot of sad memories. At least your cousin will have relatives that truly understand what it's like.

Do you have any idea how long it might be until they have an idea of what caused the fire? (Or, when they do, if they tend to state with certainty "this caused the fire!" or "we think it's likely that this caused the fire but we can't be sure.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hatshepsut, no idea about the cause yet. In our house fire, they never investigated the cause whatsoever and just shrugged it off as, "Eh, fire happens." It was pretty frustrating. I'm hoping they investigate a little more thoroughly out in Oregon, because having some sort of idea of what caused it is better than having to worry forever and wonder.

+ Reply to thread