+ Reply to thread

Thread: Doctor Who - back on the big screen

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Doctor Who - back on the big screen

Looks like more rumours have started up about Doctor Who's possible return to the big screen. The BBC and director David Yates of the Harry Potter films are looking to get the project up and running in Hollywood, although it appears unlikely that Matt Smith, the current Doctor Who will be playing the role.

Oh grief, here we go again. I really hope they don't wind up with it being another Highlander 2 where no-one will acknowledge its existence. The best thing they could do is get Paul McCann back and set it before and during the Time Wars.

Want to show the biggest and best sci-fi, try showing what happened when the Daleks and the Timelords went to war. Made. of. Win.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If they're going to bother with a Doctor Who movie, get the best Doctor, David Tennant. Paul McCann is not only too old to resume the part, he was unpopular and thus a terrible choice for a new movie. That TV movie was 15 years ago, how do you explain him being 15 years older and who would want to see the least known Doctor?

Now the Time War is not a bad idea but they can come up with plenty of plots I would think.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I can't see this as anything but a terrible idea. Doctor Who is very well suited to episodic television; turning it into a big-budget blockbuster would remove a lot of its charm, in my opinion.

I don't think the Time War would be a good idea either, because - Daleks. An army of R2D2's mentally challenged cousins yelling 'Exterminate!' while waving whisks and plungers about is not likely to win over the general movie-going audience.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You're right, Daleks would never work in the cinema. There are no sofas to hide behind.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

OK there's clearly a joke there that I'm missing.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Orual, I think every British five year old spent some time hiding from the Daleks behind a sofa.

(If that's not the joke, apoligies)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yup, it's embedded into the British psyche.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Wiki
    ... Prince Andrew, Duke of York said that he hid from Daleks behind a Windsor Castle settee while watching Doctor Who as a child.
    That. Is. Adorable.

+ Reply to thread