+ Reply to thread

Thread: I can't believe I only just saw...

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default I can't believe I only just saw...

I can't believe I only just saw Raging Bull last night. What a great film?

What classic, highly regarded television or cinema have you only just got around to seeing for the first time recently?

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I can't think of any recent examples of cinema, but here are some classic books that I've read for the first time in the past year, and in many cases it's rather embarrassing that I waited this long:

The Last of the Mohicans
    The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
    Candide
    The Island of Doctor Moreau
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
    The Picture of Dorian Gray
    Kim
    The Hound of the Baskervilles
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
    Through the Looking-Glass
    Dracula
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
    Frankenstein
    Around the World in 80 Days
    The Time Machine
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It is only recently I saw the gem of a movie Marty. It is a great one, I believe I have a thread on it. A little further back is "The Children's Hour" & I know I have a thread on that one.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, regarding TV: I just barely watched all of Six Feet Under on Netflix, about five years late to the party. I understand now why it's so widely regarded as one of the best TV dramas ever made.

Also, I made artifex watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for the first time last week. That movie is quite a bit gayer than I remembered.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm finally watching Doctor Who. This is despite the fact that my loony nerdgirl friends have been slavering over David Tennant since the Bush administration.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I saw the first Godfather movie in its entirety only two years ago. It was good, but just couldn't measure up to my preconceptions, alas.

I'm now watching the Robert Duvall / Michael Caine WW2 thriller The Eagle Has Landed for the first time, quite a few years after its 1976 release. It's pretty good.

And on the literary front, I got around to Susanna Clarke's wonderful but humongous as-if-Jane-Austen-wrote-a-Harry-Potter-novel Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell five years after it was published - but it was well worth the wait! The sooner they make a movie of it, the better.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Nov 2011 at 01:20 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    I saw the first Godfather movie in its entirety only two years ago. It was good, but just couldn't measure up to my preconceptions, alas.

And on the literary front, I got around to Susanna Clarke's wonderful but humongous as-if-Jane-Austen-wrote-a-Harry-Potter-novel Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell five years after it was published - but it was well worth the wait! The sooner they make a movie of it, the better.
    The Godfather is among my favorite movies. I too just read Jonathan Strange ... and it was pretty compelling.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    I suggest you continue on and see The Godfather, Part II. It's at least as good a film as the first, and young Pacino and DeNiro performances are a national resource to be treasured and savored when- and wherever we can get them.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I'm finally watching Doctor Who. This is despite the fact that my loony nerdgirl friends have been slavering over David Tennant since the Bush administration.
    I like Dr. Who but I find the modern uber-popularity of it amongst adults a tad baffling. Some episodes are without a doubt amazing but many too often remind you it's a kids' show.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I like Dr. Who but I find the modern uber-popularity of it amongst adults a tad baffling. Some episodes are without a doubt amazing but many too often remind you it's a kids' show.
    It varies but this is far more a family show then a kids show now is one part. The acting and effects are far better overall. In my case I love watching it with my kids, there is a huge bonus in enjoyment there.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh I'd say that's a multiplier all right, I just find I have to forgive it too much even though at its best it's better than any other sci-fi show out there.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    ...I suggest you continue on and see The Godfather, Part II. It's at least as good a film as the first, and young Pacino and DeNiro performances are a national resource to be treasured and savored when- and wherever we can get them.
    Yes, well, hopefully it won't take me another 30 years to get around to that!

What Exit?, you might also like Clarke's short-story collection The Ladies of Grace Adieu, which is set in the same magical era and includes a story featuring Strange. Good stuff.

+ Reply to thread