+ Reply to thread

Thread: Arrested and charged with inciting hatred for pictures of poppy burning posted to facebook.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Arrested and charged with inciting hatred for pictures of poppy burning posted to facebook.

Three teenagers in Northern Ireland have been up in court for burning poppies. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking37.html

They were arrested and charged with incitement to hatred by the PSNI (Police Service Of Northern Ireland) for pictures they posted on facebook of themselves burning poppies. This is in the context of poppies worn in remembrance of the fallen of the Great War which is a popular activity in the UK and other countries in the Commonwealth. I'm guessing the kids who did this were from a Nationalist/Republican background as they'd be less likely to wear the poppy even though it isn't really meant to be a political symbol.

What the kids did was assholish, and I don't condone it. However, I think incitement to hatred charges are a bit much. It is, I suppose akin to burning a country's flag, which again I think is usually assholish but shouldn't be illegal IMHO. What do you folks think? Should these kids have been charged or not?

Registered
    Feb 2009

They're assholes, but I don't see from what was presented how they were "inciting to hatred", even if you believe that should be an offence, which I don't.

Since there were lots of Catholics fighting for England in the trenches, I don't even see how it makes a point in the twisted world of Irish hatred, but AG would be a better judge of that than me.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's just seen as a symbol of Britishness amongst Irish Republicans. They don't appreciate the complex history of this island, yet they'll spill blood in its name!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Assholish thing to do - far from arrest-worthy in my book. It does seem about on the level with flag-burning, so it falls under my freedom-of-speech umbrella.

+ Reply to thread