+ Reply to thread

Thread: So should Iran be bombed?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default So should Iran be bombed?

According to a lot of sources, it appears that a variety of sanctions have failed and that Iran is close to becoming a nuclear military power. Although it was known about from 2009 onwards, no outright action has been taken and now certain governments *cough*Israel*cough* are looking at taking physical action to ensure that it never comes to pass.

Should we stand back and lets events run their course. Iran has stated its ambition to wipe Israel off the map should it ever be attacked. Then again, if they gain the ability they are likely to do the same anyway. They have never responded to threats or sanctions, would outright force be any more effective?

At what point, if any, should they be stopped. If they do gain nuclear capability, do you think they will use it as a bargaining chip or as a weapon?

If Israel does attack, is it doing the right thing, in pre-emptively protecting itself?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No, Iran should not be bombed. I hope that Israel does not do anything 'pre-emptive'. I don't really believe that Iran would, or could wipe Israel off the map, because I don't think the ayatollahs are suicidally crazy.

LOOK I REALLY JUST THINK WE SHOULDN'T GET INVOLVED IN ANOTHER LAND WAR IN ASIA, OK.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

I think all the crazies (from whatever countries) should be taken somewhere else (preferably another planet) and trapped in a dome. Bomb-proof dome. Let 'em have their fun that way.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How likely is it that Iran would actually use a nuke to attack Israel? Even an asshole like ahmadinejad knows that that would be the end of his own civilisation if he were to try to pull a stunt like that. Israel with the help of the US and others would turn Tehran and every other major Iranian city to rubble if Israel were attacked with nuclear weapons.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Yes, Mr. I'm-a-dinner-jacket should be careful.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    No, Iran should not be bombed. I hope that Israel does not do anything 'pre-emptive'. I don't really believe that Iran would, or could wipe Israel off the map, because I don't think the ayatollahs are suicidally crazy.

LOOK I REALLY JUST THINK WE SHOULDN'T GET INVOLVED IN ANOTHER LAND WAR IN ASIA, OK.
    Yeah, that about sums it up.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I think surgical strikes by Israel are probably the correct move. Iran is dangerous and it is too late after they nuke Israel to say, "Oops, I was wrong, they are that crazy." No land war required.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That's the same kind of bullshit reasoning that led to Iraq being the democratic paradise it is now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    That's the same kind of bullshit reasoning that led to Iraq being the democratic paradise it is now.
    Funny, I thought we actually foolishly invaded and stayed for 8 years in Iraq. Not supported Israel in doing a few strategic and surgical strikes. You know like Israel had actually done once before to set back the Iraqi threat decades in 1981.

Registered
    Mar 2009

If I can make a suggestion as an Underemployed American, I think the US (and much of Europe, from what I hear) really has too much domestic trouble right now to start pumping money into supporting surgical strikes or full on land wars, or whatever this would turn into. Then again, Iran might be just the shiny object our politicians need to distract us from the things they're not fixing at home.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

And how would we pay for this newest shiny object?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    And how would we pay for this newest shiny object?
    Who advocated a position in this thread that comes with a price tag of note? Invasion and occupation by US bad. Surgical strikes by Israel good.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll point out that in modern terms, the support provided to the Libya uprising was a surgical strike by comparison to previous land wars in Asia and at a fraction of the cost.

All that will matter at the end will be if Israel does strike, that it does so successfully. A successful action can be applauded, a strategic error will probably start a war in the region. Don't forget that despite their rhetoric, a lot of the other countries in the area hate Iran more than they hate Israel.They may shout and curse about it, but behind closed doors, they will be appreciative.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread