+ Reply to thread

Thread: Man orders size 14.5 slipper and gets size 1,450 after 'mistranslation in China'

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Man orders size 14.5 slipper and gets size 1,450 after 'mistranslation in China'

A MAN who ordered a special size 14.5 slipper to fit his oversized foot was sent a size 1,450 after the Chinese manufacturers failed to spot a decimal point in his order.
    Tom Boddingham, 27, has a size 13 right foot while his left is slightly bigger measuring a size 14 and a half.
    When he ordered his custom slipper, the manufacturers in China misread "size 14.5" and instead built a size 1,450 measuring 7ft long.

The photo at the link is priceless! http://www.independent.ie/world-news...a-2911714.html

I'm US size 14 so I sorta feel his pain but my feet aren't as different from one another in size.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Saw it this morning and I am seriously jealous I don't get anything like that happen to me.

That would be so cool to have a round the house.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Guardian reckons it's a PR stunt: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/r...-slipper-stunt

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    The Guardian reckons it's a PR stunt: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/r...-slipper-stunt
    I don't care, I want one.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Okay, I can't match that story, but on a smaller scale (heh) I do have a similar one:

A decade ago, I bought basic kitchen tools in Singapore, including measuring cups and spoons. Since I didn't want to spend more money than necessary, I got a cheap made-in-china brand for both that seemed perfectly fine.

When I got home I discovered that the set of measuring cups came in these sizes:

1 cup
    3/4 cup
    1/2 cup
    1/4 cup

While the measuring spoons came in THESE sizes:

1 Tbs
    1 tsp
    1/2 tsp
    1/3 tsp
    1/4 tsp

Who the hell makes a measuring cup set that has no 1/3 cup? Similarly, who makes a measuring spoon set with a "1/3 teaspoon" measure?

I'm sure that upon being sent an order, the company misunderstood somehow, and instead of making a 1/3 cup measure, they made a 1/3 tsp measure instead.

The funny thing is, the last time I looked in the grocery store in Singapore, they were still selling the same sets, with the 1/3 measures missing/included.

I treasure my 1/3 tsp measure. After all - who else can say they have one?

+ Reply to thread