+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fascinating: Letter written by 18-year-old Paul McCartney found in an old book

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Fascinating: Letter written by 18-year-old Paul McCartney found in an old book

Story here. The letter is an invitation to some unknown drummer, offering an audition to join the band. As the article states, it's one of the earliest known documentations of the band calling themselves The Beatles. I was also struck by the polite & professional tone it was written in. How fabulous that someone found this...can you imagine running across it and realizing what it was? I'm not sure I would have believed my eyes!

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That's a fantastic find!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

WOW.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wonder if anyone has got Paul McCartney to authenticate it because if true its a real gem of a find.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I can say that if it's not real, it's a very good forgery of his signature.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So by that time, the name had been finalized? I thought they'd gone through some iterations of names to get to The Beatles.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

It appears they had finalized the name The Beatles in August of 1960. During that same month, they began seeking a permanent drummer to hire before going to play strip clubs in Hamburg. So sayeth Wikipedia, anyway, but the cites look fairly legit.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Wikipedia
    ... the band finally became "The Beatles" in August. The lack of a permanent drummer posed a problem when the group's unofficial manager, Allan Williams, arranged a resident band booking for them in Hamburg, Germany. Before the end of August they auditioned and hired Pete Best, and the five-piece band left for Hamburg four days later ...
    The letter does mention the upcoming trip to Hamburg.
    Last edited by Orual; 17 Oct 2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: NINJA-ED DAMMIT

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very cool! Hope it's legit. I frankly doubt that Paul M. will now even remember having written it.

+ Reply to thread