+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rock's Most Over-rated Lyricists

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Default Rock's Most Over-rated Lyricists

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/..._lyricist.html

I must say, some of the names on this list surprised me. But I think they gave a fair assessment of Lou Reed. I agree that most of Robert Plant's and Chris Martin's are utter gibberish. What says you?

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm happy to see that Bob Dylan made the list - I've always regarded him as a poseur, with far more ambition than talent.

About the others, I'm not so sure ... I either respect them or don't really know enough to say.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

What's good about Chris Martin's lyrics is also what's bad about them. Their imprecision, lack of particularity make them artistically and emotionally dubious, but they also make them an easier prospect to get 50,000 people singing along. I class Martin alongside Bono, they're masters of the just-clever-enough lyric. They use easy to understand metaphors that many people find stimulating, even if they're often only millimetres from cliché.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Muse, good lord yes overrated lyrics. But I had no idea people even thought Robert Plant was good. Even on Led Zeppelin songs that I like, Plant's lyrics are overly precious at best and utterly embarrassing at worst.

"But in the darkest depths of Mordor / I knew a girl so fair / But Gollum and the Evil One / Crept up and slipped away with her."

rolleyes hasta infinito
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    But I had no idea people even thought Robert Plant was good.
    No kidding. I thought all Zeppelin lyrics were a study in what you think makes sense when you are tripping balls. Except for the stolen-from-blues-musicians bits.

+ Reply to thread