+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why don't the Republicans want Romney?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Why don't the Republicans want Romney?

With Chris Christie now bowing out of the Republican race, Perry losing it in the debates, Palin keeping quiet, Bachmann, Hunstman and the other fading from view, it is looking more and more like Romney should be the Republican Candidate to go against Obama.

He seems a reasonable candidate, someone who should have a broad appeal to most of America.

So why are the Republican's so hell bent on trying to find someone else to be their new candidate? What is wrong with Romney that they want anyone else instead?

Enlightened people of the USA, enquiring minds are puzzled?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    So why are the Republican's so hell bent on trying to find someone else to be their new candidate? What is wrong with Romney that they want anyone else instead?
    He was responsible for an Obamacare-like health insurance plan when he was governer of Massachussetts.

He's a Mormon.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd prefer Romney over any other Republican candidate and I imagine that's the problem. He appeals to centrists--which is good for a presidential candidate--and doesn't appeal much to the right--which is bad for a primary candidate.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

He voted for Paul Tsongas in the Dem presidential primary in 1992. He ran to the left of Ted Kennedy for the U.S. Senate two years later, and was once pro-gay rights, pro-choice and pro-gun control. He is none of those things anymore, or so he says. Even if he weren't Mormon (a pretty big issue with the Christian Right, some of whom don't even consider it an actual flavor of Christianity), the "What does he really believe?" question is still a biggie for many in the GOP.

Registered
    Feb 2009

and now Sarah Palin has bowed out of the race, so I doubt we will see any more candidates coming forward.

Will her, and Christie's, supporters back Romney or Perry.

I take it religion really is that big a deal for the GOP in terms of who represent them.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

and now Sarah Palin has bowed out of the race, so I doubt we will see any more candidates coming forward.

I take it religion really is that big a deal for the GOP in terms of who represent them.
    Christie's will go more for Romney and Palin's more for Perry & others the Tea Party & TheoCons like.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I'd prefer Romney over any other Republican candidate and I imagine that's the problem. He appeals to centrists--which is good for a presidential candidate--and doesn't appeal much to the right--which is bad for a primary candidate.
    Yeah, I think that's the key reason, really. With the Mormon thing not helping.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I see several republicans have already started questionnig Romney's alliegence to "the mormon cult" from certain people. I would have thought that as a politician has first loyalty was not to the church but to himself?

And who is Hermann Cain, who appears to be making an appearence as the new Anti-Romney?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Here you go. Note the correct spelling of his first name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_cain

I don't think it's gonna happen, at least not next year, but it would certainly be remarkable to have both of the major-party nominees for President be black.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Here you go. Note the correct spelling of his first name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_cain
    Thanks for that.

I don't think it's gonna happen, at least not next year, but it would certainly be remarkable to have both of the major-party nominees for President be black.
    At least more likely than both party nominees being female.

Registered
    Sep 2009

At least more likely than both party nominees being female.
    Well, not next year, of course, but who knows for 2016, or 2020? In time it might become almost as unremarkable as, for many years, having both candidates be male, or WASP, was.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well at least one major republican likes Romney. Chris Christie has just come out and publically backed him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

But Christy is a moderate, the right wing of the party would consider him more Liberal then Romney in all likelihood.

Romney is doing good so far. Perry is close to being out already and Newt & Bachman are almost a joke. Cain is currently the only popular challenger to Mitt.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It is, but you can get away with not being terribly religious, though, as long as it's a "safe" religion that everyone understands and relates to. Being Mormon right now is like being Catholic was when JFK was running...there's just a lot of bigotry and misunderstanding about what it is and how it will affect the way the candidate would do the job. People used to say that JFK would have to answer to Rome before he could make decisions on behalf of the country. Which, looking back that seem strange, but people really thought it.

Registered
    Jul 2010

There's no comparison. I'll admit that I won't vote for Romney just because he's Mormon. Catholics, while slightly odd, have been around for ages and have a pretty mainstream doctrine. Mormons have always been weird and believe a lot of crazy stuff that makes the normal Christian weird stuff (originating several thousand years back) seem normal. Much of the crack pottery has been archaeologically dis-proven.

Then it's also religiously forbidden to drink "hot drinks" such as coffee or tea.

Registered
    Sep 2009

JFK's 1960 speech to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association is still a classic summary of a statesman's obligation in a religiously-pluralistic democracy. Good, good stuff: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=16920600

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like Perry is talking about pulling out of the debates, but somehow I can't see it happening.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Romney, having earlier shown some courage on global climate change, is now reverting to form: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1063905.html

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mitt = Mike? George Will compares Romney to Dukakis - which, having worked on that campaign in 1987-88, I take as a personal affront. Mike had many faults, but being an unprincipled flip-flopper was not one of them: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1..._lnk1%7C108632

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's probably because the Republicans are looking at Hermann Cain as being their new anti-Romney candidate.

Registered
    Mar 2009

They may have to keep looking. Herman Cain accused of sexual harassment.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This probably means Bachmann will be making a run for the front shortly as the GOP cycles round its candidates.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, Bachmann has fallen as off completely already. Someone else's turn. Maybe another late entry.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah! There's this Republican county commissioner in Bumpkin County, S.D. who has a lot of good ideas....

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah! There's this Republican county commissioner in Bumpkin County, S.D. who has a lot of good ideas....
    Doesn't matter if he heas good ideas, is he a god-fearing, tax-hating, pork-barrelling, government-cutting good ol boy?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Doesn't matter if he heas good ideas, is he a god-fearing, tax-hating, pork-barrelling, government-cutting good ol boy?
    But of course! His Hitler Youth membership might be a problem for some... just consider it a youthful indiscretion.

Here's an SNL skit on the GOP's lukewarm embrace of Romney: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...pening/1361090

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm just waiting for someone to suggest an Obama-Romney ticket.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Conservative poobahs secretly meet to stop ol' Mitt: http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/23/politi...html?hpt=hp_t3

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm just waiting for someone to suggest an Obama-Romney ticket.
    We used to do this, sort of. In times past, the Vice President was the losing second place candidate. I actually think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the opposition in a permanent position of power (given that our elections make a two-party system inevitable). Although I don't know if the VP is the best place for that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't know of any political system other than in times of national emergency of coalition, where the government is not formed from the best candidates available, and is solely formed from the winning side.

I sometimes wonder, if a lot of problems could be solved by bringing in the best from all parties to fill positions.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Romney policy flipflop #22,783,621,378,171,938,123: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1110704.html

Registered
    Feb 2009

Romney policy flipflop #22,783,621,378,171,938,123: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1110704.html
    Politician in changing mind shocker. I really wish it was not considered such a bad thing for a politician to change their mind once in a while as times change.

Not flipflopping from year to year, but responding to the life and times as they stand.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I agree with you in principle, but in Romney's case, on virtually every issue he has shifted much farther and harder to the right since his first campaign, for the U.S. Senate against Ted Kennedy in 1994. IMHO it's hard to see his shifts as anything other than a concerted and shameless attempt to appeal to more conservative voters in the GOP presidential primary electorate.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I agree with you in principle, but in Romney's case, on virtually every issue he has shifted much farther and harder to the right since his first campaign, for the U.S. Senate against Ted Kennedy in 1994. IMHO it's hard to see his shifts as anything other than a concerted and shameless attempt to appeal to more conservative voters in the GOP presidential primary electorate.
    And yet with the completion of the move to the Far Right of the Republican party, what choice does a Moderate Republican like Romney have? I don't like him, I will end up voting for Obama over Romney, but Romney cannot win the primary on the issues he ran on in the Liberal Mass. in 1994 today in 2011 for the US.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Romney could stick to principle and win votes that way - or, more likely, acknowledge up front that his party is naturally much farther to the right than he is, and not even try to win the nomination. IMHO the White House isn't worth shamelessly lurching to the right on gay rights, gun control, global climate change, abortion rights, immigration, environmental protection, etc. etc. etc., if he genuinely believed what he said in 1994 and soon after.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Romney could stick to principle and win votes that way - or, more likely, acknowledge up front that his party is naturally much farther to the right than he is, and not even try to win the nomination. IMHO the White House isn't worth shamelessly lurching to the right on gay rights, gun control, global climate change, abortion rights, immigration, environmental protection, etc. etc. etc., if he genuinely believed what he said in 1994 and soon after.
    Fair enough but something few politicians would ever have done.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, I wonder. How many liberal-to-moderate Republicans have just decided not to run for President in the past 20 years because they knew they'd never, ever get the nomination?

More bad news for Romney: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1114869.html

Registered
    Mar 2009

I wouldn't put too much weight in an endorsement from a single, conservative-leaning newspaper.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So will Romney stand more or less of a chance if Cain pulls out of the race over his 13 year affair.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

More, simply by process of elimination, but it won't be some huge coup.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Despite his multiple affairs and history of ethics violations (and the accompanying $300,000 fine) Newt is gaining a lot of support from former Perry/Cain fans. But I still think he's a foolish choice. Even if he manages to win in the primary he's not going to carry enough votes to win against Obama. I don't have numbers but I really don't see him grabbing the independent vote.

Registered
    Mar 2009

So will Romney stand more or less of a chance if Cain pulls out of the race over his 13 year affair.
    From what I've been reading, there's basically an "Anybody but Romney" campaign that's trying to solidify support for old Newt at this point.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    I wouldn't put too much weight in an endorsement from a single, conservative-leaning newspaper.
    In New Hampshire, it's a big deal. It's a strong signal to the Hard Right that Gingrich is OK.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Stephen Colbert put it well this week: "The Iowa caucus is less than a MONTH away. That means Mitt Romney is running out of time to implement his MASTER STRATEGY: to DO, and SAY, NOTHING, while the people in line in front of him SELF-DESTRUCT one by one in SPECTACULAR and UNEXPECTED WAYS. The next one will probably, I don't know, GAY MARRY A BURNING AMERICAN FLAG or something."

Registered
    Feb 2009

The next one up is Newt. Given his track record, it will be both spectacular and fabulous, with a capital Wow.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe at the last minute the honorable Mayor of NYC will run. Bloomberg is probably the only Republican I would vote for over Obama and I would immediately join his campaign.

This will never happen sadly.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I would never wish ill on anyone, but Bloomberg's political career could go die in a fire for all I care.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    I would never wish ill on anyone, but Bloomberg's political career could go die in a fire for all I care.
    Any reason why? I don't get the hate. He is green, fairly liberal, self made, very definitely not a fundy.

Registered
    Mar 2009

No, he's not a fundy. He's pissed people off by his support of keeping things secular (such as not having a prayer at the ceremony for the 9/11 anniversary). He's got some good positions, actually.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Possibly because I've been watching too much OWS coverage. It's really soured me on him, because I do agree with a lot of his political positions. The idea of voting for him now makes me feel a little sick. Plus if he is voted in as a Republican candidate, the party is going to make him keep to the party line-the good and progressive things his supporters like about him won't be present once he's in office. See: Mitt Romney, John McCain. Not that I'd label McCain progressive at all, but he was much more reasonable prior to running for president.

In fairness, I feel the same way about Obama at this point.
    Last edited by RabbitMage; 01 Dec 2011 at 10:18 PM.

+ Reply to thread