+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fox threatens to cancel the Simpsons?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Fox threatens to cancel the Simpsons?

It looks as though Fox Entertainment is having trouble reaching an agreement with the main stars of the show and are threatening to pull the plug on it.

Executives are saying the main stars need to take a 45% pay cut, the stars were offering 35% but in return taking a share of the profits the Simpsons generates globally. Their current salary is about $8million.

It's being going for 23 years, will it be going for much longer?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

On the one hand, I think the voice actors totally deserve a cut of the profits.

On the other hand, I haven't bothered watching The Simpsons in 5-6 years, so I don't imagine my life will be affected much if they finally decide to pull the plug.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I wouldn't give a shit had it died anytime in the last decade, so won't give a shit now. I hope they get every penny they can.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

They should take the cut. The money is still great. The show has been better again the two seasons and last weeks shows was as good as any in the first 10 years.

But the ratings are nothing special and I can see where Fox doesn't want to may 400k per episode per main actor.

Registered
    Mar 2009

They should take the pay cut, what with it no longer being a powerhouse and all. But if they don't and it gets canceled at this point, meh.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    They should take the cut. The money is still great. The show has been better again the two seasons and last weeks shows was as good as any in the first 10 years.

But the ratings are nothing special and I can see where Fox doesn't want to [pay] 400k per episode per main actor.
    Ditto. Much as I've enjoyed it over the years, I wouldn't weep if it were cancelled. It'll live on through syndication, DVDs, YouTube and streaming for a long time to come.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    It'll live on through syndication, DVDs, YouTube and streaming for a long time to come.
    Which is why I think the voice actors deserve a cut of the back-end profits: Fox is going to continue making dump trucks full of money off of their performances. (Not that I think they'll get it.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

If someones earns you a billion dollars a year, pay them ten million a year. The show does that, so paying the actors top dollar makes sense.

OTOH, sure, the show ain't what it used to be, so paying them less also makes sense. But if this kills the show I'll be annoyed... it deserves a dignified retirement. Methinks Fox is trying to kill the show without looking like they killed it.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

They should take the cut. If the show gets canceled, whatever they move on to next is likely to pay about 95% less, so taking a cut of 35-45% seems advantageous in comparison. I'm sure Hank Azaria makes more with every single Simpsons episode than he has for all of his Christopher Guest movies combined.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 06 Oct 2011 at 08:25 AM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

+ Reply to thread