+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Necessary Evil: Mission 2

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I was assuming animal control.
    Ok, each grok counts as a large creature. To control all of them will require 12 pts of Animal Control. You should be able to control one safely, or two if you really push yourself. You would not be able to control all three with sorcery. Don't forget you are currently using Sorcery to levitate the generator.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"They're too large for me to take control over even one. It's possible I could rile up a swarm of rats and force them to lure the groks out of our way, though."

Kamaria will attempt to find enough rats to do so. Her animal control covers animals within a number of miles equal to her Spirit (8), so she will attempt to find the most aggressive/demented rats within that area.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"We need to lower the generator, I will then control two of the Groks and use them to lead or herd the third out of the way".

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Whichever. If it goes tits-up, I'll start blastin' ".
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

The generator is lowered carefully as Fitheal cancels his spell. As the others wait around, Kamaria and Fitheal start to act.

Reaching out with her mind, Kamaria can find hundreds of rats scattered all throughout the sewers and she starts to summon them to her. It may take a few minutes but a swarm is on its way.

Fitheal takes a deep breath and concentrates on the groks in front of him and summons as much magical essence as he can muster before reaching out to control the creatures.

Controlling the two groks together is an 8-point power, Fitheal's maximum ability. Spellcasting roll is D12+2 = 9, so just avoiding a backlash.

With a few choice uttered words and gestures, two of the groks slowly stop and turn to face the party, in particular Fitheal, and then remain still.

The third grok seems oblivious of the happenings and continues to scavenge in area.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I command them to head off and bring the third with them. If that does not work I will have them start nipping and bumping the third in an attempt to herd them all off.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"I should be able to bring a swarm of rats here in a few moments, should that third grok not want to move with the others."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Terawatt watches, a slight nimbus of sparks around his itchy fingers.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fitheal starts commanding the two groks to move around, but try as he might, they seem unable to move or even find the third grok in the area, even though the group can see it clearly. At least they are obeying orders.

And then, he feels a pull on his control as a flood of rats and other sewer vermin boil into the area from another entrance summoned by Kamaria. At the edge of the area, she can feel them torn between obeying her orders and their instinctive fear over going near to the groks. The battle for their control ends as they edge close and closer when the third grok lifts its head and swings it in the direction of the rats. The two groks under Fitheal's control do the same and he can feel their drive to feast on the vermin.

The third grok starts heading at a surprising pace towards the rats, which break from Kamaria's control as the first few are set upon and devoured noisily. Having started, the thrid grok heads off down the tunnel chasing the fleeing creatures as Kamaria feels their fear of being eaten alive.

"Fitheal, Do you want to send those two off with their friend and get them out of here?", asks Flicker, "Hopefully they will be gone for a while, and I'm glad I don't have to try and fight them."

Registered
    Feb 2009

To the groks, "pursue and eat well" as I meantally push them to chase off and once they are in motion I release the spell.

"Give me a few minutes and we can resume. Excellent idea Kamaria."

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Neatly done. Let's investigate the area where the groks were before we drag that generator down."

Registered
    Feb 2009

The group moves down into the area, covered in rubbish and bits of sewage all crushed flat by the trampling of the groks. Looking round, it doesn't take too long to discover areas where the walls of the sewers have been cracked away and deep fissures can be seen leading into the rock. The fissures themselves are just a little bit smaller than the size of the groks, but big enough to fit yourselves and the generator through.

Peering in with lights an uneven rocky floor can be seen leading off into the dark, although the area now appears natural and not man-made.

"I think we just found a possible entrance", saya Flicker.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Great. Any of you mystic types got any idea what's inside?"
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Not my specialty, I'm afraid. Fitheal?"

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Send Funshine's other half. No loss there, right?"
    Last edited by Appleciders; 17 Jan 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Let us put our load down and I will attempt to scry within. But without a pool and some equipment I do not have I doubt I can accomplish much.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Let us put our load down and I will attempt to scry within. But without a pool and some equipment I do not have I doubt I can accomplish much.
    You will need to cast the spell again to shift the generator. How much power were you going to put into it?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Full power but nothing extra.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Back in the cavern, Fitheal decides to try and discern some of the location ahead of the group in the inky depths of the tunnel ahead. Perhaps he might be able to see something ahead. Muttering to himself and weaving patterns in the air with his hands, he closes his eyes and strains to see what he cannot.

But after a few moments, he stands with no more information than he had mere moments before. All that was seen was darkness, whether because of the area ahead or because the spell failed, or for some other reason, it is difficult to say.

He turns at gestures at the generator and the familiar feeling of power surges through him. This time it came easier and the generator judders slightly as he bends his will to lifting it successfully.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Seems you're getting better at that. Welp, sewers are a mite claustrophobic for a flyer, but I can make life uncomfortable for anyone that tries to cut up rough; I'll go see what's what if you like," says Terawatt.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fitheal grunts out, "Good, lets just get to where ever we're going. I feel like I've been down here for weeks already."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Certainly feels like it", says Flicker. "Sooner we can find what we are looking for and get out of here the better. Let's get started then."

Leading the way, Terawatt skims the floor, with lights out front illuminating the rocky floor and ceiling. Shortly behind the rest of the group, lighting a path for the generator to be carried along.

At first it is slow going, a short rise strewn with pebbles and channels where water flows, after a few metres, the rise tops out and the path descends into the darkness below.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Lovelace peers through her IR goggles. What's down there?

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Lovelace peers into the dark using her IR goggles, she sees no obvious signs of heat down there, but the way down goes on for a lot further than she can see.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Terawatt pushes on, wishing for a little more flying room.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flicker picks up his corner of the generator, holds a light up and starts moving towards the hole ni the wall.

+ Reply to thread