+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Necessary Evil: Mission 2

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Necessary Evil: Mission 2

A tale of Alien Invaders and Super Villains battling for World Supremacy - and the Aliens are winning.

Setup Thread: Necessary Evil RPG Plotting

Missions:
    Mission 1: Jailbreak

Cast of Villains:
    Lovelace - Appleciders - Human Hacker and Inventor
    Terawatt - Malacandra - Human Mercenary and Electricity Manipulator
    Flicker - CatInASuit - Human Armed Robber and Teleporter
    Fítheal Mac Mongán - What Exit? - Sidhe Eco-Terrorist and Sorceror
    Kamaria Mbisala - Zuul - Human Anarchist and Fighter
    Funshine - deepsoulfunk - Possessed Teddy Bear (ex. Human)

Background:
    A world full of super heroes with stories and tales of adventure.
    A world invaded by aliens called the K'tharen who wanted it for their own.
    A world where they fought back as they had so many times before.

But this time the fighting was fierce and rough; Earth was looking like they might just lose this one, despite all the heroes pitching in. Then, miraculously, saviours appeared out of the skies. The V'sori. They spoke of an ancient pact with the native Atlanteans, and appeared to defend this world. With their help, the heroes pushed back the K'tharen!

Gathering to pay homage to the horrible ordeal, almost all of the world's greatest heroes were assembled in one place. Just in time for a V'sori warship to incinerate the space from orbit.

With Earth's heroes destroyed, the V'sori claimed the Earth with their servant-species the K'tharen, who had been playing a long game with their masters all along to annihilate Earth's greatest protectors.

The V'sori have been ruling now for months, hunting down superheroes and dissidents and exterminating them or locking them up for study and repurposing. The only people who can possibly stand up to them are the Earth's last hope, Earth's remaining superpowers - those who were not obliterated in the attack on Earth's heroes.

The villains.

Coming together into a guerrilla fighting force under the leadership of the world's greatest mastermind, Dr. Destruction, they're Earth's last great hope. You might be villains, but you're villains from EARTH - and this is YOUR planet to claim.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

~~~ Mission 2: Prologue ~~~

It has been a few days since the new Omegan cell was formed and is now holed up in an abandoned warehouse hidden from view.

Initially, the group spends its time nervously in their new surroundings getting to know one another. But nerves soon give way to tedium, as they wait for events to start overtaking them again.

Kamaria makes careful contact with the family who are protecting her child and word comes back that she is safe. They are unable to meet at that time as word is still circulating of the jailbreak, but soon perhaps. Her eagle companion, Izzy makes a brief appearance. He is in good health from catching fish in the nearby sea and is happy to be reunited with is mistress, although not so about the lack of room.

Lovelace returns to her own hideaway after a while. In the local area, she starts carefully enquiring about Omega teams but all she hears are the same rumours that everyone else knows. Her discussions on the internet prove more fruitful as her offer of information in how to crack V'Sori systems attracts a few interested parties.

Flicker spends his time just teleporting around the warehouse and into areas just outside but out of sight of prying eyes, or spending his time working out.

Fitheal and Funshine seem to spend most of their time in contemplation of the events, saying little.

Terawatt takes the opportunity to create himself a new weapon, something that should come in useful.

...and then the call comes in.

"Omega Cell The Resistance...

I have need of your services again following your liberation of Mindjack.

The information he brought me reveals that there is a power source located deep beneath Star City that the aliens haven’t discovered. I need access to that power source for my own purposes.

Finding it won’t be easy, however. It was created by the villain named Terron some years ago, and its exact location died with him. It is my firm belief that the Undergrounders who live beneath the city know its location. Persuading them to share this information is another matter.

You’ll need a very heavy piece of equipment to make the power terminal useful to me. You’ll find it in the warehouse where I left you. Be sure one of you can carry it, or find another way to transport it."

As he finishes speaking through the comm-links, something catches the eyes of those present.

In a wall, what appeared to be a feature has now become a flashing red button.

Your mission starts here.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Fitheal sighs, "I was hoping for more direct action but as my teacher liked to say, Rome wasn't destroyed in a day."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Indirect action can sometimes be the most devastating," Kamaria offers encouragingly. "As for carrying this equipment...I'm fairly confident I'm one of the strongest here, but we may want something ready if it's too heavy for us."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"'Kay. I'm going to push the button now, and see how 'heavy' this 'heavy equipment' is."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"I don't do the grunt lifting, but as you know, I can keep folk from interferin' with those who are. Let's see what the Doc's shipped us."
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Lovelace presses the button, there is a soft whirr and a panel opens in the floor, showing steps unfolding down to a hidden basement below. There is a crackling of bulbs lighting up for the first time in a while and a faint odour of dust and grease escapes.

As you head down the steps, you can see a large area underneath. Around the side are several workbenches full of tools, bits of wire and circuit boards, tins of grease and dismantled gadgets.

The large object, that Destruction must have been referring to, sits squatly in the middle of the area, and it looks heavy. At first guess, probably 600 pounds of metal and other materials in a 4' x 2' x 2' lump. A large slightly rusted iron frame containing some kind of generator. A thick non-standard power coupling matching it is set to one side and in the top of it, can be seen a single telescoping rod currently recessed in a tube.

Picking it up will require a Str of d12+2, walking with it would require d12+4, or a combination of people up to that. Yeah, it's heavy.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Kamaria is quite sure she cannot carry that.

"Now, if I had an elephant or maybe a horse..."

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Lovelace investigates. What is it? What does it do?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flicker looks down at it, then picks up the power coupling. "I'll carry this bit, someone else can get the...whatever it is?"

Lovelace and Flicker will start looking it over trying to work out exactly what it is, but it will take an hour or so. Is anyone going to do anything else during that time?

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Huh. Hand me that wrench set, will you?" Lovelace gets to work investigating the machine.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Kamaria will start looking around, to see what might be useful to moving the object. "Maybe we could see about putting something together to move this thing for us?"
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fitheal enchants the item with a spell of Animation.

I have Spell Casting D12 +2 and SUPER SORCERY (3/Level) D10
    I think this means I can use it to this power level: 7, 1000 lbs, d12+2 strength, +4 size, Pace 10.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"We got a manual for this thing?"
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2011

Welp, I had no idea we changed threads for each mission. Been relying on bookmarked threads for a while now shakin' my head, lol.

This is a placeholder while I plan, but yeah...damn it.

Registered
    Mar 2011

Shucks, maybe if I summon patches we can both lift it, though that might be kinda awkward. We have to stay decently close to each other.

Registered
    Feb 2009

There is no manual for the object, but after a couple of hours Flicker and Lovelace have more or less worked out what it does.

It is a power relay converter, designed for receiving and channelling power to/from other relays. The power is effectively sent as raw energy in a narrow beam to the next relay and anyone getting in the way of the beam would surely meet a sticky end.

Carrying it is another matter. Between them, it takes, Funshine, his duplicate, Kamaria and Flicker to be able to pick it up and slowly, but awkwardly, carry it around. It is slightly faster, but certainly not ideal, when Lovelace joins in as well.

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Fitheal enchants the item with a spell of Animation.

I have Spell Casting D12 +2 and SUPER SORCERY (3/Level) D10
    I think this means I can use it to this power level: 7, 1000 lbs, d12+2 strength, +4 size, Pace 10.
    I've added some detail to the Plotting thread on how sorcery works. To animate the generator would take 10pts of animation, not 7, and is unfortunately out of your league.

Of course, if you maxed out 8 steps of super strength from your current d4.....

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fitheal offers, "I believe I can TK this device where we need to go."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yeah, that's a good point where exactly, other than under the city, are we supposed to take this?" asks Flicker. "and who are the Undergrounders. Never heard of them myself."

Registered
    Mar 2011

Funshine says, "Perhaps they are a class of people exploited by the ills and vicissitudes of capitalism who have found their dwellings gentrified, their wages slashed, and their jobs outsourced. As History is constant battle between or redefinition of the ruler and the exploited, the slave and the patrician, the lord and the serf, it is not so hard to believe that perhaps this exploited class has been pushed to the very bowels of the city, that they may all but survive. Unless the V'sori use a use a planned economy where the means of production belong to the people who practice permanent revolution in which case they have created a utopia." though due to his various afflictions, this comes out as garbled ancient Latin played in reverse.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Could someone work up some sort of way to translate...that?" Kamaria asks hopefully.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

After staring at Funshine for a moment, Lovelace adds, "I think we have two choices-- we can make a scouting expedition, in order to most easily find the power source, then return for the relay and bring it down. Or we could just pick the thing up and start moving our way downwards. I vote for scouting first."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"I prefer scouting as well. If we run into trouble, it'll be easier to deal with it that way," says Kamaria.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fitheal comments, "Scouting is fine, do we have the time?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flicker blinks a few times at Funshine's statement. "Umm, yeah, whatever."

"Scouting sounds good, I think I will just go and ask a few slightly more comprehensible people where we might want to go and look for them."

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"The boss hasn't put a time limit on this for us. I think that implies that we can take a few days to get it done, if that's what it takes. Let's break up until this evening; I need time to put together my IR Goggles and my Burrowing Gloves. If everyone else could spend a little time researching the Undergrounders, and maybe a good entrance point?

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Lovelace will sneak back to her lair and put together a few new machines. As she mentioned, she'll perfect her Burrowing Gloves (Burrowing: 2 points) and her IR Goggles (Darkvision: 2 points -1 Activation = 1 point). In addition, she's got a hunch that the sorts of creatures that live Underground won't like bright lights, and the Undergrounders might appreciate (or fear!) strong light sources. To that end, she'll create a pair of Lantern Earrings (Energy Control (Light): 2 points), which allow her to control with great efficiency the light within an enclosed area.

The Lantern Earrings only work when used in tandem-- it's just a pair for characterization purposes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flicker is going out on the town to talk to a few people with better connections with him, looking for the Undergrounders, who are they, where they live and how to get in contact with them using Streetwise. If anyone wants to come along for a few drinks at the same time, it might be good for a laugh, although don't wait up.

Registered
    Mar 2011

Funshine runs off to town attempting to follow Flicker, as best he can.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

As tempting as it is to watch a teddy bear drink a beer, Lovelace will do some electronic research of her own once her Devices are complete.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Kamaria decides it's worth it to accompany Flicker and learn what she can.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Lovelace spends some time in her lair putting together some new devices and then spends some time online trying to find out about the Undergrounders.

From her research online, she finds out that they are a resistance group which is run somewhere under the city, although they spend most of their time out of sight. They use to be misfits and outcasts but have been waging a subterranean war against the V'Sori. However, their leader recently vanished and the attacks have lessened and they are currently considered little more than a nuisance.

Flicker, Kamaria and Funshine head out to see if they can find any word on the street about the same.

Heading through Southpoint, they start to track down word of who the Undergrounders are. Following a few leads digs up some information from some people who have had a little interaction with them. The only way to get to them is through the sewers and to try and find the caverns below the city. Following the groks, the nasty lizards that have infested the sewers is a good way to find them as the Undergrounders have been using them as a warning system for years.

Once finished, all meet up back at the warehouse to plan their next move.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Ok, so the sewers. Anybody else been down there and where is the best place to get in?" asks Flicker.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"I guess most folks would lift up a manhole cover an' take it from there. Figure we can rig up a key easy enough."
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2009

"I've never traveled by sewer, but I imagine the rats are familiar with it," Kamaria offers. "I should be able to sense their basic emotions. A sort of...warning system before our senses might notice things."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Can someone pull up a map of the sewer system?"

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"I'm sure I can. Give me a moment."

Lovelace whips out her laptop and starts looking to crack into the city's records.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Terawatt has a look through the junk in the workshop for something to knock up into a manhole key, plus a prybar or two.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

After a brief tussle, the city network gives way to Lovelace who is able to pull up what appear to be the plans of the main sewers beneath the city. They will probably stop you getting lost and show the main ins and outs of the sewers including the reclamation plants and outfalls into the ocean. However, they show no sign of any other areas below the city.

From looking around the workshop, Terawatt is able to fashion something that should be capable of opening a manhole cover. The generator you have been asked to shift should be just able to fit through one of them, but the drop down to the sewer at the bottom is going to be the tricky part when you do decide to move it.

As for the sewer wildlife, there are always rats around and they are a known problem in some areas.

Flicker decides that now would be a good time to go and get some torches and other lights to deal with the fact that the group will be walking around in the pitch black.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flicker returns with some torches. "Ok all, where do you want to start, the road outside?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yup. Better get some chains and stuff if we're going to have to haul that thing through manholes and so on. Want me to take a look outside before we go?"
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

As a trial, Fítheal attempts to use a spell of Telekinesis to move the device and sees how it goes and how much magic it takes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    As a trial, Fítheal attempts to use a spell of Telekinesis to move the device and sees how it goes and how much magic it takes.
    Using TK, it goes as follows. With four levels in Super Sorcery, your TK is at D12+1. That would require a couple of people to help out in shifting it.
    If you borrow against your power, you can raise that D12+2, borrowing 2 points, or D12+3 borrowing to max, but your spellcasting roll would need to be above 2 or 4 respectively when you do so, or you will suffer backlash.

At max, you would be able to move it yourself using TK and physical force.

How far do you want to go?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I will just try it straight and see if someone else can help me maneuver it that way.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fitheal stands back slightly from the Generator and moves everyone else away. Wtih as low murmuring and subtle gestures he grasps hold of the generator with his mind. Sweat pouring from his brow at the attempt, the generator starts to move ever so slightly. A few loose parts of grime shake loose and fall to the floor, as other go to see if their combined might can move it.

TK Level 2 giving D12+1 Str, Spellcasting roll of 7 = success

Flicker, Kamaria and Funshine and his duplicate all lend a hand and between them and Fitheal's mind they are able to move it around with a certain amount of ease, given the shape and size of it.

As long as Fitheal is concentrating and is in line of sight, then it only takes two of those four to be able to manouevre it around at walking pace. Just don't drop it, or it could get messy if someone is underneath it.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Well, let's go. I suggest we wait until nightfall to avoid attracting unwanted attention."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Waiting until nightfall is fine by me and there are a couple of manholes out front we can try if you want", says Flicker

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Yes, nightfall sounds good. It's safer if we lower our chances of being observed," says Kamaria.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Fine, we'll go after nightfall. Now, where'd that coffee machine go?" Lovelace wanders off to get her caffeine fix, constructing a French press herself if necessary.

+ Reply to thread