Closed thread
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 1549

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

  1. #151
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Dr. T'Var says nothing. She is not in command and will support Pourtash's decision to withdraw, though she does not agree with it.

  2. #152
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "You're right, Mr. Collins. So what could they gain by attacking us? Is there something we're carrying? Why go through this effort? With three of their ships here, they could have been plundering the freighter while the other two kept us busy."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  3. #153
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,912

    Default

    "Captain, I mean Mr. Portash, can I suggest we build some mines really fast and scatter them behind us as we leave?"

  4. #154
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Pourtash considers that. Is Delaney's suggestion logistically feasible at the moment?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  5. #155
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    Leventhal says, "The Orions can be pretty pugnacious, sir. By this point they could just be fighting for the sake of fighting, or to avenge their fellows on the two ships we've already destroyed."

    Photon torpedoes can be set for timed or proximity detonation, and thus function as mines. Given the numerous engineering and damage control issues now facing the Yorktown, it is not feasible to build mines right now. You still have several dozen torpedoes aboard.

    The ship shakes as another Orion torpedo hits home; the lights dim but come back again, slower than last time. Cooper asks, "Lieutenant Pourtash, where should I set course?"

  6. #156
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "Set a course for Starbase 37." Pourtash isn't at all happy with any of this, but getting their message out to someone who can respond has the greatest chances of survival.

    Pourtash will order some of the photon torpedoes being fired to be programmed to detonate at the approach of a ship or after two minutes of release if not set off by proximity, to hopefully cut down on the maneuverability of the other ship somewhat. Unless someone has a better suggestion for the timing?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  7. #157
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    T'Var is quite concerned about the fate of those on the escape pods. Withdrawal does seem to be the only option now. If Roble had been in command would things have been different, she muses to herself.

    And what of the attack on Roble? After reading reports from the ship's last mission, T'Var is certain that there is something very wrong aboard the Yorktown.

  8. #158
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    The Yorktown moves away on impulse drive and then goes to warp. Cooper and Leventhal carefully and gradually increase the ship's speed until she is moving at Warp 3, en route for Starbase 37.

    Collins programs and launches a dozen photon torpedoes as mines, as Pourtash ordered, and they soon fall behind, strewn in your wake. The Orion ship follows briefly, but then drops back after two explode near it, and returns to the wreckage zone of the lost freighter. It is unclear if O1 was damaged by the mines. Long-range sensors are by now a little improved, and Rangin's and Fujishiro's scans soon indicate that the Orion warship is using its transporters to remove survivors from the remaining lifepods.

  9. #159
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Pourtash frowns at the announcement of the survivors being transported aboard the Orion ship, having a well educated guess on what awaits them now.

    If damage control procedures haven't already been initiated in all damaged areas of the ship, he'll order them to begin. Is there any chance they'll be able to repair enough to increase speed safely before finding assistance?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  10. #160
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,912

    Default

    Delaney starts running numbers to answer Pourtash but is already shaking his head pretty sure there is little chance to even jury rig repairs fast enough to make a difference.

    Once he runs the numbers he will request relief to go work on the worst damage in person.

  11. #161
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins scans to see if any of the Orion ships are in pursuit.

  12. #162
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    Damage control parties have been responding all along as the battle unfolded, and are already hard at work. Delaney confirms his suspicions that the worst of the damage to the starboard nacelle will have to wait to be repaired in spacedock. Checking the warp drive readouts, he thinks he might be able to get the ship's speed up just a few points more over Warp 3, but there is virtually no chance of reaching Warp 4 or above. He will not be able to leave the Bridge until the Security Alert is cancelled.

    Collins scans and sees that O1 is not in pursuit; the other three Orion ships - if that is what they are - still remain out of sensor range.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Nov 2011 at 10:57 PM.

  13. #163
    Pleonast's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Fujishiro has a grim look on her face.

    While waiting for long range sensors to be more useful, she'll review the logs of the sensor readings of the Hegar's Pride and the Orion vessels. She's looking for anything that could be out of the ordinary with closer scrutiny. She'll pay special attention to the debris from the ships destroyed.

  14. #164
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Dr. T'Var notices what Fujishiro is working on. She asks, "Would it be possible to maintain a scan of some kind on the Orion vessel holding escape pod survivors?"

    T'Var hopes there is a way to keep tabs on the survivors until a rescue can be attempted at some point by Starfleet.

  15. #165
    Pleonast's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    344

    Default

    "I'll check if we have enough data to determine its unique warp signature," Fujishiro replies. "I don't know if we can maintain track under current conditions, but if we or someone else detects them later, we could know if it's the same vessel or not."

  16. #166
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    At first glance, Fujishiro sees nothing unusual in the sensor logs as to the Orion warships and the Hegar's Pride, either from before or after their destruction. A more detailed analysis will take several hours.

    The Yorktown will be out of sensor range of the remaining Orion ship in about half an hour. Neither Dr. T'Var nor Lt. JG Fujishiro know of any way to keep tabs on anyone left behind, although O1's warp signature can certainly later be referred to and matched.

    O1 leaves the battle site and now moves deeper into Orion territory. Although the readings are somewhat ambiguous at this distance due the damage to the Yorktown's sensor suite, there are apparently no life signs in the remaining scattered lifepods.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 21 Nov 2011 at 12:01 PM.

  17. #167
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins surpresses her desire to punch out the panel, and tries to get a handle on her frustration.

  18. #168
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Have there been any further developments regarding the attack on Roble, or did the conflict and ensuing damage make it impossible for security to continue?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  19. #169
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    Security Ens. Mahmoud reports to Pourtash, "Our scans and search of the area where Mr. Roble was found have not revealed anything useful. The only blood and DNA we found was his. My investigation continues, sir."

    Dr. Bucci reports from Sickbay that Roble is out of surgery and in stable condition, but remains unconscious.

    O1 has now moved beyond the range of the Yorktown's damaged sensors.

  20. #170
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Dr. T'Var notices Collins' frustrated reaction to recent events. As a Vulcan, such emotions are well controlled, though at times like these, T'Var wishes they were not. She believes human emotion is not only cathartic, but healthy. T'Var is as frustrated as Collins. There must be some way to monitor and at some point help the survivors now held by the Orions.

    T'Var is gratified to hear that Roble is stable.

  21. #171
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "Thank you, Mr. Mahmoud. Keep us informed."

    Is the Security Alert interfering with the damage control parties at all? That seems as though it could cause some difficulties. On the other hand, damage control parties not being stymied by the Security Alert could be used by Roble's attacker to hide evidence.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  22. #172
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    Damage control efforts don't seem hindered by the Security Alert, according to reports coming in from belowdecks. It's by no means a common situation to simultaneously have a Red Alert, a Security Alert and damage control teams responding to problems in various parts of the ship, though, and Pourtash realizes he might not be getting a complete picture of the situation up there on the Bridge.

    The ship remains on course for Starbase 37 at Warp 3. Delaney looks over his Engineering panels and thinks he should be able to maintain that speed indefinitely.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Aug 2013 at 03:58 PM.

  23. #173
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    "With your permission," Collins addresses Pourtash, "I'll join the Security Detail - see if I can't get a cleared picture of what the hell is going on."

  24. #174
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,912

    Default

    Delaney is double checking the max speed one of the Yorktown's shuttles will achieve, hoping one is better then Warp 3.

  25. #175
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    There are times when Dr. T'Var wishes she was still a member of the V'Shar. The attack on Lt. Cmdr. Roble deeply disturbs her sense of balance aboard the Yorktown. The sooner Security can find some answers, the better.

    "If I can be of any assistance to Security, I would be glad to help," T'Var tells Pourtash.

  26. #176
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    "Permission to report to Sick Bay, sir? We've got too many wounded; they'll be swamped."

  27. #177
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Ship's Log, supplemental, Lt. JG Pourtash recording. Lt. Cmdr. Roble was stabbed by an unknown assailant. Surgery has been completed and he remains in recovery. I have placed the ship under a Security Alert while the search continues for his attacker. We responded to a request for assistance from the freighter Hegar's Pride, which was under attack by three Orion ships. Two of the Orion ships were destroyed, with three unidentified ships approaching from Orion space. The Hegar's Pride was lost to a warp core breach. Due to damage on the Yorktown and the approach of what could be assumed to be Orion reinforcements, we were forced to retreat.

    Pourtash considers the requests to leave the Bridge. Are any of them allowable during the Security Alert or will they have to wait?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  28. #178
    Pleonast's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Assuming that a repair team is working on long-range sensors, Fujishiro feels most effective at her post on the bridge. She does what she can to look for any starships, Orion or potentially helpful. And she'll continue to review sensor logs of the engagement and resulting debris.

  29. #179
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    The Yorktown's Class-F shuttlecraft can cruise at Warp 2 and have a maximum emergency speed of Warp 4.

    Lt. JG Fujishiro works with the long-range sensor arrays as best she can, and sees no sign of any other vessel.

    Dr. Villa, sounding exhausted, reports from Sickbay that the ship suffered 11 dead and 40 wounded in the battle against the Orions. Triage and surgery are ongoing, but the most badly wounded are now out of danger.

    Under Starfleet regs, the commanding officer can exempt anyone he or she wishes from compartmentalization of the ship and restriction of movement during a Security Alert.

  30. #180
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Dr. T'Var digests the news from Sickbay is stoic Vulcan fashion. Under the circumstances, she thinks to herself, things could be much worse.

  31. #181
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,912

    Default

    Delaney grimaces at the news of the dead. He pounds his console in frustration.

  32. #182
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Pourtash keeps his feelings to himself regarding the dead and wounded. Maintaining control in command at the moment is more important than letting himself descend into the panic he really wants to wallow in.

    He has Dr. T'Var, Collins, and Rangin exempted from compartmentalization so that they can fulfill their requests to provide aid.

    Pourtash downgrades to a Yellow Alert, as they are no longer in imminent danger, but shields should be maintained in their weakened and limited state. Should the long-range sensors be brought fully online again, he may downgrade to Green.

    Since a shuttlecraft would not be able to exceed the current speed of the ship by much and would be at significant danger due to the potential return of Orion ships, Pourtash will not release one at the moment.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  33. #183
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins' first stop is Sick Bay to talk to Cmdr. Roble. She will ask him what, if anything, he can recall.

  34. #184
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    Just as Dr. T'Var, Lt. JG Collins and Ens. Rangin are preparing to leave, the Red Alert annunciator lights turn dark, the main lights on the Bridge go up and the ongoing comm chatter from belowdecks abruptly ceases. Delaney hears a muted voice through the bulkhead ahead of him say, "All right, open it up." Pourtash, to his astonishment, sees the main viewscreen directly in front of him go blank and recede several meters back into the bulkhead, then move aside.

    Lt. Cmdr. Abdi Roble, Science Officer of the Yorktown, steps through the gap and onto the Bridge. He appears to be in perfect health. Behind him come Ens. Sasok, Delaney's roommate, and Ens. Trigorin, Pourtash's roommate; both Engineering officers carry data tablets on which they have apparently been taking notes.

  35. #185
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    "I knew it!" Collins shouts involuntarily.

  36. #186
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Pourtash covers his face with a hand as he sighs with relief. All damage done is only to his career and reputation, not anyone's lives.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  37. #187
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,912

    Default

    "A test?"

  38. #188
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "Like the Kobayashi Maru scenario, but you don't have the benefit of knowing it's only a test. Probably more telling this way."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  39. #189
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Dr. T'Var shakes her head. She is frowning. "A most useful training tool, I am sure," she says, though her tone sounds a bit irritated.

  40. #190
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    "Yes, gentlemen, a training tool," Roble says, "for a test which is now concluded." You follow him out and he explains, "We got a Constitution-class Bridge training simulator from the Sugihara back at Banij Prime, and Messrs. Sasok and Trigorin led the team which installed it here, under orders not to discuss it with anyone else aboard. We wanted you to come to it fresh."

    Delaney immediately recognizes that you're all standing in Cargo Bay 4. The circular sim module fills about a third of the bay, ringed with hydraulic rams, pyrotechnic clusters, data feeds and variable artificial gravity nodes. Lt. Guillaume Vaudreuil grins at you from a nearby large control console; Pourtash sees that it controls the entire closed environment of the fake Bridge.

    Collins realizes what had been bothering her, making her think almost from the outset that something was wrong: one of the buttons on the Security console had a small burr of plastic on its edge, just enough for her to be aware of it but not so large that she would realize it wasn't her usual panel. She mentions this to Trigorin, who grimaces. "We went over the actual Bridge with a fine-tooth comb to make sure we'd faithfully duplicated it. Thanks, ma'am. Guess we must've missed that."

    "The simulator is connected directly to the ship's turbolift system," Roble continues. "When it was time for your Bridge watch to begin, we simply diverted your turbolift car here, and began the simulation. The Captain arranged for the delivery by the Sugihara; she thought this would be a useful part of your BCDO training."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 Dec 2011 at 11:56 PM.

  41. #191
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "This is really impressive. It sidesteps all the problems of simulations not being taken seriously," Pourtash comments. Better to see how they react in what appears to be a life or death situation--what they truly believe to be a life or death situation--when it's safe than when the ship is in danger. He can't even be particularly upset at having his emotions played with for the simulator; he's simply too pleased by the cleverness of the scenario.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  42. #192
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins could use a drink right about now...
    "So, how did we do?" she knows she's not going to like the answer. "What about Cooper and the others? Were they in on it, too?"

  43. #193
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,912

    Default

    "Indeed, how did we do?" Delaney is perturbed at falling for the deception. He promises himself to learn the lift times.

  44. #194
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    "I would also like to know how we performed under these simulated conditions," Dr. T'Var says, though she still sounds a bit irritated. "I am most impressed with the technology used for this challenging test. Most impressed."

  45. #195
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    Roble looks apologetic. "I shouldn't say any more about it. The Captain told me she wants to review the recordings of the sim before she discusses it with all of you; Cmdr. Vargas will do the same, I expect. Until we rendezvous with them tomorrow, don't discuss this with each other, or with anyone else. There are other personnel aboard who'll also go through the same or other Bridge sims, and we want them to be just as in the dark as you were. You may say whatever you like in your personal logs, though." He looks at the chrono on the simulator control console. "Hmm. It's already almost 1400 hours. Consider yourself off duty, as of now. You'll report for your regular watches in the morning. Dismissed."

  46. #196
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "Yes, sir."

    Pourtash lets out a breath and goes to leave, sparing a glance at the others dismissed. "Anyone up for a drink...or five?"
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  47. #197
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,912

    Default

    "Five, indeed, five sounds like a good number."

  48. #198
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins looks at Cooper, "Join us?" then follows her fellow test subjects out the door.

  49. #199
    Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    704

    Default

    "Oh, I'm certainly willing to have a drink or two." Rangin follows the rest out.

  50. #200
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,049

    Default

    Cooper says, "I have some other things I have to do, but maybe I'll catch up with you later. Thanks."

Closed thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts