Closed thread
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var enjoys talking with the Sakathians. She keeps the conversation light.

The doctor introduces them to the game of chess and offers to teach them how to play.

Registered
    Sep 2009

What lieutenant commander is Collins speaking to?

Did T'Var bring a chess board with her? Don't remember that.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Pourtash

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I have an excellent computer program for chess beginners," T'Var tells the Sakathians at her table. "I'd be happy to share it with anyone who may have an interest in learning the game."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Sakathians at T'Var's table seem somewhat interested in chess, although it's hard for them to visualize the game. One of them, Yblec, says he loves all kinds of games, and starts telling T'Var about a Sakathian game that sounds a bit like backgammon, but with spiky pieces.

Rangin, Delaney, Fujishiro and the just-arisen Hayes each choose different tables to mingle with the Sakathians and MU staff over breakfast.

Lt. JG Pourtash replies to Collins, "Well, I like her more than I like him. He always looks like he'd just as soon shoot us. She at least seems to have a personality under her shell." He nods in the direction of Geb and Kylah. "Maybe our Communications officer will be able to learn more."

He's not a lieutenant commander: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...G-Setup-thread

Registered
    Feb 2009

oops

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah apologizes for the hiccup. "It's not the drink at all, Director. My constitution usually takes a few days to recover after being transported. I think it may be physiological--to be honest, Elasians don't react well to Starfleet's transportation technology." She's rather pleased with this little invention, and takes a defiant sip of the brew, this time smiling with well-faked pleasure. Personally she still blames Collins for the lingering sympathy stomach disquiet she's feeling.

"In any event, I thank you for sharing your history with me. Most of all, I'm glad to hear the Age of Sorrows is so long distant! I feared it might have been something much more recent. But now you rejoice in the Leap to the Stars, and considering your past, this seems even more of an astonishing technological accomplishment after such a Dark time. Your people are to be congratulated for making such strides. If only others were as resiliant." Her dark eyes beam warmth toward Geb. "May I ask, how long have you personally been in charge of this station?"
    Last edited by choie; 14 Oct 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I, too, enjoy games of all kinds," T'Var tells Yblec. "Perhaps I can teach you more about chess and you can teach me more about what sounds like a most interesting Sakathian game."
    Last edited by WES; 15 Oct 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Geb says, "I have been in charge here for almost two years now. It is challenging work sometimes, but I like it."

Yblec tells T'Var, "By all means, Doctor. Fonovolon is easy to learn, but the tactics can be very complex."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins thanks Pourtash and walks over closer to where Geb and Kylah are talking, close enough to listen in but not interrupt. Once she ascertains that the conversation is not about the mission, she continues on to the beverage station and pours herself one more tea. If this damned nausea keeps up, I'll have to step down and return to the ship. And I don't want to do that.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"As a Vulcan," she says, "I relish complexity."

T'Var allows herself a slight smile. "Chess is a fairly simple game to learn. However, the mastery of it can be quite elusive."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The tea tastes good and Collins feels a bit better.

Yblec says, "That sounds something like Fonovolon, too. Perhaps you could beam over a chess field and teach me later?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah tells Geb, "As I've mentioned this is my first mission for Starfleet, so I hope you'll forgive me if I seem to ask too many questions. I must admit I feel a certain kinship with your people; I know I've also said this before, but we Elasians don't have much experience with the Federation and it takes us a while to trust new colleagues. But Starfleet is certainly enthusiastic about helping others with their exploration and scientific journeys, as well as advances in peaceful cohabitation with other races; they seem most genuine in their wish to advance knowledge for all. It took my people some time to accept their help as sincere--but thanks to the Federation our planet has thrived." She remains outwardly open and pleasant but inside she's wincing. Oh if my Guardian heard me, he'd clip my ears back for being such a Federation sycophant. And I'd probably deserve it, too.

Kylah ignores her internal annoyance, since her main goal is to gain a rapport with Geb and hopefully improve the Director's trust of the crew; if flattering the Federation and overselling her planet's trust of them might benefit the mission, she'll do what her Academy roommate called "sucking up with the best of them."

Realizing she might soon lose her audience, she shakes her head apologetically. "But I don't mean to take up so much of your time. I'm sure you are very busy. I did want to ask two things before you go--first, a favor: if you have any lesson tapes focusing on Sakathian language I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to borrow them. My area of interest is xenolinguistics and what little I heard of your language--when the Universal Translator briefly failed to provide us with translations the other day--sounded fascinating and I would be honored to serve if the translator should malfunction again. I learn very quickly, if I may be immodest."

She hesitates and then adds: "And my second question is, well, a bit embarrassing--I must admit I have no experience whatsoever with Denebian slime devils and seeing them was rather intimidating. Have you worked with them before?"
    Last edited by choie; 19 Oct 2012 at 02:24 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Geb seems to unbend a little and says, "Of course. I'll have language tapes, formatted for your tricorder, sent to your quarters. Sakathian is a nuanced tongue, dear to us as a people, and capable of expressing a wide range of social, historical and technological information. I wish you luck with it, Ensign." She finishes her drink. "As for slime devils, no, I've had no previous dealings with them. I've heard of them but know very little about the beasts. I'll leave that for the scientists." She almost shudders.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var appreciates Yblec's enthusiasm. "It would be an honor and a pleasure," she tells him. "However, I will beam over an actual chess set. Playing chess using a real board and pieces truly adds depth to the experience."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Feeling more like herself, Collins checks the station's chronometer. "Shall we start our day?" she asks the room.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Starfleet personnel begin their work, observing the MU team as they conduct tests on the alien lifeforms.

Dr. Pierce begins a series of growth cultures to try to figure out why several of the invertebrate cell lines failed for Dr. T'Var. It will take at least five days for the cultures to grow sufficiently. The Vulcan physician beams over a chess set from the Yorktown later that day and begins to teach Yblec how to play. She finds him a bit... slow. Moreover, Fonovolon is a fiendishly complex game, much more so than she recalls chess being when she first learned it.

The day and that night pass without incident. You are again locked down on your corridor.

Collins wakes the next morning and feels slightly queasy, but not as bad as the day before. Just before lunchtime, her communicator sounds. "Singh to Collins."

She immediately answers. "Collins here."

"Good morning, Lieutenant. Status report, please."

Collins brings the Captain up to date, and Singh says, "Very good. We have new orders from Starfleet. The situation on Cavinre VII has deteriorated, and the Federation embassy has twice been menaced by mobs that local police seem hard-pressed to control. The ambassador has asked for protection and possible evacuation. We're leaving for Cavinre VII within the hour. Your boarding party must remain on the station, under the treaty, but I'll leave a shuttlecraft behind for you just in case. If all goes well, we'll be back for you at least several days before the end of your stay. Questions?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"No, Sir. I'll let the others know." She goes to the dining hall, and as her shipmates enter, she tells them of the Yorktown's temporary departure. Then she selects some steamed grain and vegetable melange and eats slowly so as not to retrigger the nausea.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Before eating a well-earned lunch, T'Var checks in on Collins.

"I trust you are feeling better?" the doctor asks.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well," Collins tells T'Var, "if yesterday was a 10 on the ick scale, today's about a 7. You know we're on our own here, right? The Yorktown is responding to a situation on Cavinre VII" Collins had a faint sense of dread, very faint but it was there, about their mission now that they have no back up.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I have every confidence in our team here -- and aboard the Yorktown," T'Var replies. "If you are in need of anything, please let me know."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Very well, Mr. Collins," Singh says. "I have complete confidence in you. We'll be back as soon as we can. Good luck!"

Collins briefs all of the members of her boarding party as to the Cavinre situation.

The Yorktown departs as expected, having left the shuttlecraft Meitner in the same orbit as, and within transporter range of, the Sakathian space station.

As to shuttlecraft, see posts 515-521 in the setup thread.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Her meal finished, T'Var heads back to the lab. Perhaps Dr. Pierce has some information regarding the death of those cell lines.

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Var finds Pierce walking among the various incubators, taking notes on a data tablet. "Nothing yet," she says. "They're all growing normally that I can see."

The rest of that day, and the next, pass without incident. Collins feels a little better but still has occasional low-grade nausea.

On the third day after the Yorktown leaves, Collins, T'Var, Kylah, Rangin and Dr. Waite are eating lunch in the mess hall. Waite digs into a big bowl of sauerkraut and Collins finds she can barely stand the smell.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has been spending most of her time either observing the Sakathians in order to understand their culture -- well, at least how they interact with another, since they seem to do precious little interacting with the Yorktown crew except those directly involved in the experiments; she's also spent many hours with the language lessons Geb was kind enough to lend her.

So, during this latest mealtime, she tries to distract herself from Waite's disgusting meal by mulling over insults in her still-rudimentary Sakathian.

The closest attempt she can come up with is pidgin at best, translating roughly as Offworlder of filth eats slop like animal who in barn lives, and thus also like animal smells. The thought makes her smile but it's not good enough for her liking. Kylah knows she doesn't have the syntax correct, and she's a perfectionist when it comes to languages. If she's going to cause an incident just because the man eats revolting food that's making her ill, she'd rather do so with immaculate style.

So though she's sorely tempted to try it out, she just nibbles at the Sakathian chef's toasted grain paste that's the only thing palatable right now, and tries not to stare daggers into the side of Waite's head. She satisfies herself with the knowledge that in another few days she should be able to insult him properly. If the mood strikes her.

And if this keeps up, she has no doubt it will.
    Last edited by choie; 30 Oct 2012 at 01:31 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var takes notice of Kylah's interest in Waite and his meal.

"Have you ever tried sauerkraut?" she asks the ensign. "It is definitely an acquired taste."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah casts a wry look at T'Var and says, not loudly, "With respect, doctor, the taste of something that looks like diced Regulan bloodworm -- and has the stench of a flask of badly fermented tartberry wine I once found in the cellar -- hardly seems worth the price of acquiring it."
    Last edited by choie; 30 Oct 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins selects some steamed vegetables and grains and sits as far from the sauerkraut as she can manage.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var has to grin at Kylah's unique way of describing sauerkraut.

"Quite true, Ensign," the doctor replies. "However, we should never judge something until we have tried it for ourselves."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Rangin says, with a smile at Dr. Waite, "I like sauerkraut all right as a side dish or a garnish, but I've never seen anyone tackle a whole bowl of it."

The scientist replies, through a mouthful of the spiced fermented cabbage, "My mother is German. I come by my tastes naturally."

Dr. T'Var's keen Vulcan hearing picks up sounds of shouting in the distance. She believes it is from down the main central corridor, just outside the mess hall. Moments later, a low alarm begins to sound. Ens. Kylah happens to be looking right at Waite at that instant, and sees him pale noticeably just before he stands.

You all hear a scream.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins jumps up and runs towards the scream, absentmindedly reaching for her missing phaser.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var does not hesitate. She follows Collins immediately.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah takes a piercing look at Waite while rising to follow her crew members. "Dr. Waite!" she snaps out. "Do you know what might be happening?" Before he answers she takes a quick glance around the room to see how the others are reacting.
    Last edited by choie; 01 Nov 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins thinks the scream came from out in the large main corridor that runs almost the length of the station, and T'Var, with her superior hearing, concurs. They see several Sakathians milling about in the corridor, many silent but some talking quickly in Sakathian. You get only bits of disconnected speech through your communicators' built-in universal translators: "Alarm," "Unusual," "morning," "experiment," "Earthers," "careless," "breach" and "worry."

Rangin stands but does not run after Collins and T'Var; he seems to want to hear what Dr. Waite has to say. The Miskatonic scientist bumps his bowl accidentally as he jumps to his feet, and it crashes to the deck and breaks. He says shakily, "There's some problem in the labs. The alarm indicates a lockdown is in progress."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah gives up on Waite, sensing very little useful will result from further discussion or investigation. She asks Rangin if he'll be joining her, and without waiting for an answer rushes out into the main corridor.

Once she arrives, Kylah notices that the UTs aren't working very well and, with a quick look at Collins and T'Var, can tell that they're having no more luck with their own communicators. Standing still and trying to mentally tune out the jabber from the communicator, she does her best to listen as carefully as possible, hoping to recognize some of the missing Sakathian words. She also tries to pay attention to the emotions in their speech as well. Perhaps this will provide some context.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins approaches the Sakathians "Tell me what's going on," and before they all start talking quickly and at once she adds, "one of you," she points to a male Sakathian who seems to Jeremi to be in a supervisory position, "and please speak a little more slowly." As she listens, she visually scans the area, looking for anything amiss, any clues that might alert her to what happened.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var stands ready at Collins' side. She pays close attention to what's happening around them. The doctor is gratified to see Kylah has joined them. Hopefully, she will be able to translate what the UTs cannot.
    Last edited by WES; 02 Nov 2012 at 10:32 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin follows Kylah into the corridor. Waite comes with them. The alarm continues to sound.

The Sakathian man to whom Collins points is wearing a scientist's badge. He seems upset and says, "Something's going on down that way." He points towards the labs. "The Earthers - the University people - have been conducting some kind of experiment there. It's been closed off to most of our staff. They've been very secretive and now... well, that's the breach alarm. I don't know what's happened, exactly, but I don't think it's good."

Beyond the masses of milling Sakathians in the hallway you hear another scream, and then another lower howl of pain, from that direction. Then you see, over their heads, a flash of light and a short burst of sound - similar to a phaser discharge, but not exactly. It's followed by a long, unearthly scream that chills Kylah to the bone.

The Sakathians now begin stampeding toward and past you, away from the screams.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins hesitates a moment - with no weapon, how smart is it? - then runs towards the distressing sounds.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var follows right behind Collins.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has started running to follow the others when the full impact of the scream hits her. It's so powerful that she has to lean against the wall as the sound of terror and surprise goes through her entire body.

She knows she must follow her crewmates. But for an instant she doesn't want to--like a child goaded by others to enter some unknown dark room, she wants to refuse and run in the other direction. Disgusted by this cowardly reaction, Kylah pushes herself away from the wall, ignoring the phantom echoes of the scream still resounding in her mind. With one swift move she grabs one of the Elasian daggers from its sheath on her right thigh just barely hidden beneath her skirt. The warm, familiar animal hide grip in her hand is a natural extension of her and it imparts much needed confidence.

Running and taking deep breaths, she finds some measure of rational thought returning and she tries to analyze what she just heard. The realization suddenly strikes her: That wasn't a human, she thinks, tightening her hold on the knife's handle. That was one of the Sakathians.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The three Yorktown crewmembers, with Rangin and Waite close behind, burst through the rapidly-thinning crowd of panicking Sakathians. What you see just outside the door of the biology lab shocks you. Three Sakathians are on the deck, torn and bloody, apparently dead. One is in the uniform of a security guard, and his energy sidearm lies shattered nearby. Two other Sakathians, their skin much darker than the others and with even darker blood seeping from their eyes and ears, are eating them with repulsive eagerness.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins steps forward, initially intending to pull the predators off their victims, then realizes she's probably not much of a match for them. Collins opens her communicator "Collins to Shuttlecraft Meitner. Beam us down three phasers, immediately. Use Ensign Kylah's coordinates so that they're out of reach of what we're facing." She pockets the communicator and over her shoulder, so as not to take her eyes off the altered Sakathians, calls to Kylah, "Ensign, as soon as the phasers arrive, set to heavy stun and start shooting - then toss one to T'Var and one to me and we'll do the same." Where the hell is Pourtash? she thinks with a bit of anger.
    Last edited by anyrose; 07 Nov 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var controls her impulse to engage the crazed Sakathians and stop their horrific feasting. As a Vulcan, she is stronger than those with her, but probably not strong enough in this situation.

The doctor awaits the arrival of phasers and will start shooting as soon as she has one in her hand.

Registered
    Sep 2009

There is no one in the shuttlecraft to answer Collins. It was simply left behind by the Yorktown for when your mission was complete, if the starship had not returned by then. You did not make any arrangements for a crewmember to be aboard.

Another dark-skinned Sakathian emerges from the doorway to the lab, grunting almost like an animal with each step. He looks much like the other two, but his right arm hangs at an odd angle.

Someone deep inside the lab begins screaming, but does so for no more than ten seconds.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 12 Nov 2012 at 01:00 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's arm twitches with the impulse to fling her knife at the flesh-eating Sakathians, but it's clearly too late to help their victim and she doesn't want to waste a throw. She tries without much hope to communicate with them. "Can you understand me?" she says to the Sakathian in the doorway--first without translating, and then using the basic Sakathian she's learned.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins opens her communicator again "Collins to Pourtash. Get up to the shuttle and bring back whatever phasers you can find. Meet us in the common room." To her crewmates and Dr Waite she says "I recommend a strategic retreat - I want to find out about the 'experiment' that caused this." An old Earth 19th Century novel about a scientist who transforms into a beast upon ingesting a potion springs into Collins' mind

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var finds the thought of retreat as repulsive as the sight before her, however, she has to admit that this is probably the best option -- for the moment.

"Agreed," she tells Collins.

The doctor steps in front of Kylah, concerned that the young ensign might think about attack rather than following orders. "Best to put that away -- for now," she whispers.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash does not answer Collins.

The Sakathian to whom Kylah speaks cocks his head at her, but does not respond. He growls and bears his teeth, then lunges towards her, hands extended like claws.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah would love to follow orders right now but the sight of the Sakathian heading toward her requires a fast calculation. If he's far enough away and slow enough, she'll obey Collins--although she senses there might be people still alive in the lab and she hates to abandon any students or still unaffected Sakath crew by leaving.

If he's too fast to give her a good chance at escape, she'll take proper throwing stance, aiming with both arms toward the attacker, then flinging the lethal knife toward the Sakathian's heart.

As all this rushes through her mind, she yells at T'Var--who just stepped in front of her to adviser her and thus has her back to the charging Sakathian--"I'll put the weapon away where it'll do the most good -- watch out, Doctor, that one's coming toward us!"

Closed thread