Closed thread
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Capt. Singh nods slowly and says, "Keeping an open channel and being ready to beam phasers to you, if needed, might be the least bad option, under the circumstances. What do the rest of you think?"

Ens. Hayes apologetically says to Dr. T'Var, "The Sorbonne team wasn't armed, as far as I know. There's nothing in the records about that."

Dr. Waite notices Collins's expression, and looks back at her, raising an eyebrow.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Dr Waite," Collins chooses her words carefully, "On the station you seemed ... constrained, restricted in your ability to fully express yourself. Is there something going on that the Sakathians do not want the Federation to know?" Collins suddenly wishes for a tribble which she would throw at Dr Pierce.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"A possible option, to be sure, Captain," T'Var says. "Though what might happen in the time -- however brief -- it takes to beam phasers to us...."

The doctor sighs. She watches Henry Waite closely as Collins asks her questions. If anyone can get some answers out of him, it would be Collins.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Yes, that is still a problem," Pourtash says, nodding to T'Var, "I don't like it either, but if they won't budge and we're obligated to assist, our options are limited."

He glances towards Kylah curiously. She seems to be quite intelligent and with a knack for diplomacy, even if the Sakathians weren't swayed by her. He wonders if she might have a better suggestion.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Waite answers Collins; he seems almost surprised by her question. "No, I wasn't constrained or anything like that, except by not wanting to offend our hosts. The Sakathians can be sticklers for the rules, as you've seen, and of course there's their latent xenophobia, but they've basically been welcoming to us. I can't think of anything that the Sakathians don't want the Federation to know." He turns to Pierce. "Can you?"

She frowns and shakes her head.

Fujishiro whispered briefly to Rangin as Waite spoke.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yet you seemed...almost afraid of Geb" Collins pursues the issue.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"No," Waite says. "Not afraid. Just a little wary of causing offense, I guess. It's important to our work that we have the goodwill of Geb and the Sakathian government."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Would it be acceptable to perform the bulk of this research on our ship -- keeping the Sakathians completely updated and informed? We could involve them as much as possible, of course."

T'Var thinks a moment, then continues.... "Perhaps we should seek Dr. Noel's counsel regarding the Sakathians and their behavior. Her insights might prove quite useful."
    Last edited by WES; 11 Aug 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"No, we have to do it over at the station," Dr. Pierce says, shaking her head. "That's where all of our equipment is; that's where we're set up to do it. We've been preparing for weeks. Doing anything here is out of the question."

"I don't know what Dr. Noel would have to add to the discussion," Lt. JG Fujishiro says after a pause. She looks skeptical.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah feels almost itchy with anticipation, surprised the meeting has lasted this long. It seems strange for her to have any say in the matter, the newest member of the ship and certainly the least experienced person on this mission. But it appears that while everyone is waiting for Captain Singh to make the decision, Singh herself is leaving it to the crew. The dynamic seems odd and foreign to her.

But so be it. If Singh wishes to hear from everyone before she sends them, seemingly weaponless, over to the lab, then she shall.

"Though I know it is not my decision," she says carefully, "and I do believe there is a danger in going through with the Sakathians' wishes, it appears there is no option if we are to fulfill this mission as Starfleet commands us. If the Sakathians assure us that communications between the party and the ship will remain open and they will raise no shields that might impede our beaming back to the ship or weapons to be beamed down to us--then I agree we should leave behind our phasers."

She does not look at Rangin as she speaks and continues hurriedly. "And if i may make a further suggestion, Captain... I recommend haste. To such a paranoid and defensive people--something I know a little about," she adds with a hint of self-deprecation, "--the longer we delay, the more it will look as if we are strategizing against them."

Kylah hesitates slightly. "And finally, if it is at all possible, I would recommend that someone at the highest possible level of Starfleet Command or the Federation itself get in contact with the Sakathian government and explain the cause of this confusion." She flicks a dark glance at Waite before returning to face Singh. "The Sakathians believe we defied their laws willfully. I feel very strongly they need to be reassured on this matter from someone in as high a position as is feasibly possible, to show regret for the misunderstanding and willingness to adhere to their planet and Sovereign's laws.

"Forgive my forwardness in making such a suggestion, sir," she says with a slight bow of her head to the captain, "but I understand how... sensitive... royals can be if their commands are not afforded the respect they believe they deserve."
    Last edited by choie; 11 Aug 2012 at 10:26 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Okay then," Collins states with the authority afforded her, "are everyone's hand to hand skills up to date?" She watches those at the table, save Waite and Pierce, nod in affirmation "We go without phasers, we stay only as long as needed and not one moment more. Captain, permission to take my team back to the station?" Collins stands as she speaks

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var sighs a bit louder than she probably should at this turn of events. The unwillingness of the Sakathians to bend at all is most disturbing to her sense of balance and fairness.

As a former member of the V'Shar -- and a Vulcan -- T'Var is well versed in many forms of unarmed combat. If necessary, she can and will use these skills.

The doctor sighs again.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh says, "I'll contact the Sakathian government, although I'm not confident it will do any good. In the meantime, Mr. Collins, return with your boarding party to the space station. We'll maintain a lock on each of your communicators, and we'll have phasers ready to be beamed over on a moment's notice. It's the least bad option under the circumstances, given our orders from Starfleet."

You all return to the Transporter Room, Drs. Waite and Pierce in tow, and are beamed back to the station.

Geb is there alone to greet you. She says, "The Captain has advised me of her decision. I am glad you are willing to obey our laws. Dr. Waite, please show Lt. Collins and her people where the animals will go."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is relieved that this time the strangely hostile transporter engineer wasn't around to give her any last-second words of 'advice'. Now on the station again, she feels it especially important to be on good terms with Director Geb--especially since she's made her mistrust of Dr. Waite known. The man is either mendacious or a doddering fool. She's not sure which is more dangerous.

As Dr. Waite prepares the others, Kylah lingers and greets Geb with a respectful nod. "I too am glad our differences have been resolved, Director. I truly would value the opportunity to learn more about your people. Indeed, I'd be especially honored to learn a bit of your language. From our earlier visit I noticed that the Universal Translator was unable to work on all of your speech; I worry that the same might be true for our own." Kylah tilts her head in a show of regret. "I am no scientist, and will be of little practical use during the experiments themselves. As my role on this mission is actually to facilitate our communications, I feel it would be a shame if the Translator's inevitable failure to interpret unique idioms were to cause any misunderstandings. And as a student of languages I must say that what I did hear of your language, raw and untranslated, fascinated me. Its phonetics, the use of pitch and volume... it sounded so lovely and expressive. Though of course, I could not yet understand it. Much like your mural, I can appreciate the beauty but not divine its true meaning."
    Last edited by choie; 12 Aug 2012 at 11:34 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thank you, Director." Collins supervises the delivery, all the while keeping a wary eye on every non-Starfleet person in the room.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Geb seems to relax slightly at Kylah's words. "I'd be glad to teach you more of our language, Ens. Kylah. I warn you, though, I'm no linguist. Sakathian has some subtleties and slang that might seem challenging at first, but you may find it worth the effort."

She walks along with you as Drs. Waite and Pierce guide the Starfleet boarding party out of the reception area. Dozens of Sakathian people come and go, almost all carrying tools, bags or boxes; many of them glance or even stare at you. You see that the station is long and thin, built around a great central corridor, about ten meters wide, with compartments of all kinds - labs, living quarters, dining areas, recreational spaces, offices, shops, storage areas, and so on - opening off of it. "There are also several dozen domes of various sizes attached to the spine of the station, most of which are modular, and configured for scientific research," Waite says. "A few minutes' walk will bring you to the botany, medical, cryogenic, biology, chemistry, subspace, astrophysics, astronomy and quantum mechanics domes, but there are others farther along."

He leads you first to the biology dome, five times as big as the Yorktown's Shuttlebay. What would you like to see to ensure that they are ready for the Terran capybaras, Bolian storks and Denebian slime devils that await beam-over from the starship?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var looks about her slowly. From this quick scan of the biology dome, she is impressed with its configuration.

"Perhaps an explanation of what we will be doing here might be in order," she says to Dr. Waite.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins visually surveys the biology dome, making special note of all the access and egress points.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Waite says to Dr. T'Var, "Well, I want to show you where the animals will be going. We wanted examples of non-Sakathian mammals, avians and reptiles for our experiments here. We're grateful to you for bringing them."

He leads you all to a doorway marked with two slanted violet stripes. "Level 1 areas, such as the main hallway, are open to anyone on the station. Level 2 areas are secured for various reasons, and are ordinarily closed to offworlders. In the Sakathian culture, violet is a symbolic color of warning. The two stripes show this is a Level 2 area. I've confirmed that you have Director Geb's permission to enter this area." She nods, and he smiles. He puts his hand over a thin wall-mounted box beside the doorway, and the doors whisper open.

The capybara habitat is open and has a stout, waist-high fence, with a spongy artificial surface and several pools. The stork area is just a few steps away and is similar, but includes a metal mesh enclosure about 15 meters high, allowing the birds room to fly. Several metal, multi-limbed "trees" have been constructed to give the birds a place to perch. Automatic food dispensers are set up in each area. Other than the door you entered, there are three doorways.

Rangin opens his tricorder and begins scanning.

After a few moments, Waite leads you to another door and says, "Level 3 areas are for more hazardous, restricted or classified work. This next area will also be open to you, though." He again waves his hand over a box, and the door, marked with three violet stripes, opens.

You see that each Denebian slime devil will have its own enclosure, about five by five meters, made of what appears to be metal topped with very thick glass or plasteel. Each includes a flat rock sticking a few centimeters out of thick mud. A single small food dispenser is attached to each enclosure. "As you can see," Dr. Pierce says, "we've done our best to make a comfortable but secure place for each of the experimental animals." The lighting is dim, which Dr. T'Var knows is ecologically appropriate for the vicious alien creatures. Collins sees just one other door in this compartment.

A small transporter console and platform is against the back wall of the room. Delaney doesn't recognize its design.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Aug 2012 at 09:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Dr Waite," Collins suddenly has a bad feeling, "What sort of experiments will you be conducting? The fauna we've brought are living beings. What are you hoping to learn here?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We're studying the reaction of living tissue to subspace fields of different types," Dr. Waite says. "We've already taken a look at quite a few Sakathian species, and now we'll be testing those three larger offworld lifeforms, and the cell lines which I understand Dr. T'Var has gathered. This is research for research's sake - we don't have any particular goals. With luck, though, in the coming months, we'll... ah, here are the others!"

He introduces the Yorktown crewmates to the leading scientists of the Miskatonic University research team who have just walked in. They include Dr. Daniel Olmstead, an elderly neurochemist, stooped and with a quiet, dignified manner; Prof. Robert Upton, a cellular biologist, young and friendly; Dr. Melinda Dyer, a physician, pretty, with a ready laugh; Dr. William Akeley, a radiologist, middle-aged and somewhat nervous in demeanor; Prof. Albert Holt, a subspace field expert, a little older than Dr. Akeley, but charming and upbeat; and Prof. Claudette Wilmarth, a xenobiologist, young, raven-haired and with an intense gaze that Pourtash finds somewhat unnerving. Dr. Pierce explains that the rest of the 15-strong MU group are research assistants and lab techs working elsewhere at the moment.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Aug 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var frowns. "I find that research without a specific goal in mind does not produce meaningful results." The doctor's frown deepens.

Registered
    Feb 2009

" 'With luck in the coming months' what?" Collins asks "Please finish that thought, Doctor."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Waite continues, "I was just going to say, with luck, we'll have compiled a large database of results that might have some scientific, medical or commercial application that we can't foresee. And Dr. T'Var, as you know, some of the greatest scientific breakthroughs have been unexpected, and in the course of research into other things: penicillin, cordrazine, the discovery of X-rays, and so on."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 21 Aug 2012 at 10:21 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Something else is nagging at Collins. "Dr Waite, I'm sure you're aware of the late 20th Century Earth protests against animal testing?" Collins pauses to gauge his reaction "What are the potential dangers to the life forms?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Pierce frowns. "We obey Federation law as to the ethical treatment of nonsentient lifeforms in scientific experimentation, of course, including the 2205 Copenhagen Protocol."

"Absolutely," Prof. Wilmarth says. "Any danger to them is minimal."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 21 Aug 2012 at 11:00 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Of course, you are quite correct, Dr. Waite," T'Var says. She continues to frown. "However, a reliance on luck and the unexpected can be a foolhardy endeavor."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Okay," Collins relaxed a little, "Thank you." Collins resumes her visual sweep of the lab.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Waite says to T'Var with a shrug, "We don't rely on luck, but we don't discourage it, either. And the unexpected is common in all great research. So. Shall we proceed with beaming over the animals?"

Collins sees nothing else of note, nor does Delaney, other than that these compartments seem to be cleaner and in better repair than the public areas of the station you've already seen. Rangin, who has been taking tricorder readings all along, has not said anything.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is doggedly interested in pursuing the history of Sakath as shown in the mural, particularly this unknown era that Geb called "The Age of Sorrows." Nothing of this sort was described in the briefing prior to the mission--only the offworld attacks that seemed to predate this era somewhat significantly.

However, the imminent decision regarding the animal transportation is too important and she doesn't want to distract anyone just because she has a strange sense that a miasma of secrecy is occluding .... something. Perhaps something relevant to the mission itself.

The sudden arrival of the Miskatonic University researchers makes her feel somewhat claustrophobic even in the large space. And Kylah has not missed Pourtash's attention swiftly shifting to the unknown xenobiologist.

Ignoring this reaction--except for a raised eyebrow--she walks over to Rangin and asks softly, "I presume all readings are normal?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins opens her communicator, looks around the room, and satisfied that everything is as good as it's going get, calls the ship, "Collins to Yorktown. Begin cargo transport."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

If T'Var had feelings, she would have a few bad ones about this mission. She sighs, awaiting transport of the animals.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin quietly says to Kylah, "Everything looks OK to me, although their maintenance seems a little, well, slipshod." Delaney, overhearing this, remembers what he noticed when he first beamed aboard.

Chief Engineer Cheverez answers Collins from the Yorktown's Transporter Room. "Acknowledged. Please provide coordinates for the destinations of the storks first. I'll send them one at a time, to be sure everything goes smoothly. Then we'll proceed to the capybaras, and the slime devils last."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins transmits the coordinates and waits for the telltale shimmers to start.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As Collins remains on an open channel to the ship, the storks beam into the enclosure, one by one. They seem a little disoriented at first, but soon are squawking, flapping their wings, rooting around and flying about. The scientists look pleased.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Collins to Cheverez. The storks arrived. Please continue with the rest of the cargo." Collins has to duck a bit to get out of the way of one of the storks, but otherwise, maintains her composure.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var is a bit disturbed by the noisy storks. She is not an animal lover. Cell lines are quiet and easy to control -- when they're not dying, of course.

The doctor sighs. She is determined to figure out why certain cells have died while others flouish. Perhaps the scientists here might have some ideas?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins passes along the coordinates of the capybara enclosure, and within a few minutes all twenty of them have been beamed over and are contentedly snuffling around.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is startled when the storks arrive and doesn't--can't--immediately respond to Rangin's comments. The hysterical flapping and squawking unnerve her, as if the birds' anxiety is infectious. The discomfiture of animals always bothers her; such confusion and helplessness seem terribly unfair to force on creatures who can't comprehend what's going on. She forces herself to turn back to Rangin, an edge in her voice: "If the maintenance is slipshod, are the animals' confinements really safe?"

The storks are bad enough, but the imminent arrival of the slime devils is what really worries her.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Bolian storks settle down after a few minutes, and the noise level under the dome drops considerably.

Rangin looks up from his tricorder and glances towards Delaney. "Well, I'm no engineer, but I think it'll be all right."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var ponders the fate of the cell lines she has so carefully nurtured thus far. How will transport effect them -- if at all? Where will this cell research lead? What -- if anything -- will be learned?

Pondering these questions keeps T'Var's mind off the disruptive animals as they are transported to the station.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As you all watch, ready for any trouble, the slime devils are beamed from the Yorktown, one by one, into their individual enclosures. Most shriek and clack their claws together menacingly for several minutes before settling down; some even hurl themselves against the walls, but the enclosures hold them without breaking. The MU team is fascinated by the sleek reptilian predators.

When the transportation is complete, Dr. Waite whispers something to Dr. Pierce, who nods and says loudly to the Starfleet boarding party, "If you'd all come with me, please, I'll show you to your quarters aboard."

But Dr. Waite quietly says to T'Var, "I hope we might have a private word together."

With a nod from Lt. JG Collins, she agrees, and he leads the Vulcan physician to a private office adjoining the dome. In addition to his diplomas she sees, hanging on one wall, the framed and calligraphed Latin phrase Primum Nil Nocere, which she remembers was a gift from his sister years before - the ancient dictum of human medical practice, "First, do no harm." She can also see Sakath V and the stars through a large viewport.

They both settle into chairs. After an awkward pause, Waite says, "It's been a long time, T'Var. As you could probably tell, I was very surprised to see you when you beamed over."

"I hope my presence is not upsetting to you, Henry," T'Var says evenly.

"No, not upsetting, just... unexpected." He seems nervous. "How are you doing these days?"

"I am well," T'Var replies. "I find my service with Starfleet quite gratifying."

He takes a deep breath. "All these years... I've been meaning to apologize, T'Var, for what I did to you. To us. I was an idiot, and I hurt you, and I'll always regret that. I should've said 'I'm sorry' long ago."

T'Var ponders Henry's words a moment. "The fault was mine," she says. "I made an error in judgment regarding our relationship." She sighs. "No apology is necessary."

He looks up at her. "You're being much too easy on me. We were engaged. I threw it all away like an idiot."

"Vulcans tend to overlook the failings of humans - and idiots," T'Var says with a wry smile.

He returns the smile a bit ruefully, then reaches out and takes her hand. "And I fit both categories. Do you ever wonder what our life together could have been like? I have... and I do."

"That would not be logical," she says, removing her hand from Henry's grasp. "Not logical at all."

Waite's face falls, and he nods. "I understand. Well... thanks for talking to me privately. I do hope we'll be able to work together as professionals, regardless of what happened before."

T'Var places her hand on Waite's shoulder. "I do look forward to working with you again, Henry." She gives his shoulder a gentle squeeze of reassurance. "I truly do."

"Thank you. That's far more than I deserve."

T'Var's dialogue by WES; Waite's by Elendil's Heir.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin's comment finally registers with Collins "What do you mean you 'think it'll be alright'?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var is relieved to have spoken with Henry -- clear the air. He seems more mature now. Perhaps, in time, they can find a path to friendship.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin says, "Well, I don't have any particular expertise in manufacturing or construction, but I've seen plenty of animal-containment units in my career, and these look all right to me."

Dr. Waite leads the Starfleet physician from his office, back to rejoin the others, and asks, "When would you like to beam over those cell lines, T'Var? I know Prof. Upton and Prof. Wilmarth are eager to begin."

Dr. Pierce shows the other members of the Yorktown boarding party to their quarters. Each of you have been assigned a single plain but comfortably-furnished room with a private bathroom. You see that the MU scientists and support staff have similar rooms along the same T-layout corridor. A Sakathian guard stands at the bottom end of the "T," which opens onto the main central hallway of the station.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"The sooner the better, Henry," T'Var replies. "I an eager to begin as well and look forward to working with everyone on this project."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins looks around her quarters. She sits at the desk and calls the Yorktown. "Collins to Captain Singh. The transfer went smoothly and everyone is ready to start the research." She continues her report with the mundane details of what has transpired so far, including mentioning the T'Var and Dr Waite seemed to have worked through whatever tension their was earlier.
    When she's done, Collins flops on the bed, hands behind her head, and knees up. She stares at the ceiling. That little thing she's been ignoring pops its head into her mind.
    Alright, she thinks, let's approach this sensibly. Whatever you had with Ben is apparently done. His loss. So, pros and cons. It would be nice to have a child someday, perhaps after I've made Captain and had my own command for a few years. But now is not at all practical. So, that's it then. I'll make my appointment when this mission is over. Jeremi sighs and closes her eyes for a bit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Profs. Upton, Wilmarth and Dr. Waite show Dr. T'Var to the Cellular Biology lab, a few doors down from the station's main dining hall. She calls the Yorktown, and within the hour the Andorian, Tellarite, Rigellian and Altairian invertebrate cell lines - of worms, molluscs and beetles, 243 in all - have been beamed over and properly stowed. The professors like what they see.

Singh thanks Collins for her report and orders her to keep in touch.

The rest of the boarding party gets settled into their rooms. By now it is late afternoon, station time. Dr. Waite invites you all to a welcome-aboard dinner party in two hours.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var is pleased with her quarters. It is good to finally get everything moving forward at a steady pace.

The doctor prepares for the dinner party.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins awakes with a start, checks the station's chronometer, and lets out a sigh of relief. She pulls herself together, straightens her uniform, brushes her hair, and heads off to dinner.

Closed thread