Closed thread
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var does her best not to grin. Kylah could easily win an acting award of some kind. The doctor is quite impressed with how the young ensign has handled herself so far.

"I, too, would very much appreciate some refreshment," T'Var adds. "We would be most grateful."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah casts a grateful look at T'Var, only a second lapsing before her doelike expression is again bestowed upon Porr.

She's only just realized that, to use the human idiom, there's a pair of flies in the ointment: the doctors. They might, just might, be aware of Elasian physiology.

Still, if they're anything like the scientists on Elas, or those she met during her required xenobiology courses at the Academy, they're masters in their pet fields of study but ignorant in all else. With only one Elasian in Starfleet, and the rest remaining largely on Elas and Troyius--save for a single Ambassador in San Francisco, Kylah feels safe in her deception. Besides, her people's reputation is well known to her; they're considered proud warriors, erratic of temperament and emotion. It would be simplicity itself to explain that this hypothetical vulnerability to transporter technology is a secret that other Elasians have never deigned to mention to off-worlders.

And there's another angle, she admits with another surreptitious look at Dr. Waite. If her suspicions are right about him, he might not be of a mind to gainsay her fully reasonable request--not now that T'Var has expressed her gentle agreement.
    Last edited by choie; 13 Jul 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Geb looks almost startled at Collins's suggestion. "This is not a law that can just be... ignored as it suits you, Lieutenant. And I am not in any position to ask the King or one of his ministers to intervene. Perhaps you had better return to your ship."

Porr's eyes narrow a little, and he gruffly says to Kylah and T'Var, "Soon they will return. You may ask the Director then."

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins mind suddenly flashes back to the sim she and her shipmates recently endured. What am I missing here? If we return to the ship, the mission is a failure and I have a black mark on my record. If Pourtash and I relinquish our phasers, we are all defenseless. The Federation and the Sakathian government arranged this - surely the topic of armed personell would have been discussed. Jeremi feels her anger rising again, but she decides to take a different tack.
    "Director Geb," she says calmly but sternly "*I* am not in a position to go against Starfleet regulations. So, Captain Singh will contact your Prime Minister and settle this. Meanwhile, the rest of my crew will do the jobs they came to perform, while Lt Pourtash and I remain in plain sight, at all times, of your security force."
    Before Geb has a chance to object, Collins flips open her communicator, calls the ship, and tells Singh was has transpired so far. Each time the Director tries to interrupt, Collins raises her left hand, palm forward, to stop her. The Captain will know how to fix this - I will just do my job.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var says nothing -- for now. If it were up to her, she would return to the ship and let the Sakathians stew in their own juices. If they want the Federation's assistance, they certainly have a strange way of showing it.

The doctor glances briefly at Dr. Waite. She wonders how Henry could ever involve himself with them. He always seemed to be such a reasonable man. Then again.... T'Var sighs.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's hands ball into fists but she keeps them behind her back, unseen. Never before has she been so tempted to play the role of royal brat--or to use her tears to enslave this thug. But she's never tried the latter tactic, and isn't certain she'd be able to work up the emotions necessary. As for the former... well, that would be her siblings' and mother's way. And her Guardian's, as well. But not hers.

Besides, she doubts behaving in such an imperious manner would hold any sway here, if appealing to a host's pride did nothing. She knows there's a royal family somewhere, but with no ties to Elas, why would Sakath's rulers care how they treat the Elasian royal family's lowest-placed member? If she claimed to be heir to the Dohlmanship herself, that might work, but such a lie would be far too easily found out.

And I am in Starfleet now, Kylah admits reluctantly. I must play by their rules. It is up to Collins and the Captain to deal with their leaders, not me. If the Captain chooses to ask Kylah to assist in this manner, using her extremely minor royal role, she'll do so. But not until then.

At least, not unless a greater emergency befalls them than simply not being allowed to help play kennel-masters for a group of scientists.

Collins will not let them take her weapon, or Pourtash's either. A stalemate means we'll return to the ship. None of this makes sense. Why on earth didn't the Captain know of this ridiculous rule? Waite claimed to have told her, but everything about his manner says otherwise. A liar, then, Kylah thinks in disgust. And a craven coward as well, if he has not admitted the truth to Geb.

She turns to T'Var without bothering to address Porr further; he deserves no politeness as he has proffered none. Gesturing with her head, she moves away from the Sakathian goon and the two researchers, wanting to speak to T'Var in private.

"Doctor," she says in a low voice. "As someone who obviously has a past relationship with this human male--" She suddenly realizes the tactlessness of her blunt words and quickly continues, "--a relationship as--as a fellow doctor and former colleague, I mean--can you not try to speak with him privately? These researchers sought our help, that is why we were assigned to this mission. Do you not think that you might--you might find out why they are not making more of an effort to accommodate us?"
    Last edited by choie; 15 Jul 2012 at 01:02 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var listens intently to Kylah as she speaks, then thinks a moment before answering.

"Patience, Ensign," she says softly. "I am sure the captain and Mr. Collins will find a way through this impass." The doctor glances again at Henry Waite. He does seem quite uncomfortable.

"However, your suggestion does have merit. Perhaps, if and when the opportunity presents itself...."
    Last edited by WES; 16 Jul 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Geb listens stonily as Collins explains the situation to Capt. Singh via communicator. The Yorktown's commanding officer then asks, "May I have a word with Mr. Collins privately, please, Director?" The Sakathian leaves the room without a word. Singh says, "What do you want to do, Mr. Collins? My practice is almost always to defer to personnel on the scene. Geb doesn't sound especially flexible to me, and I'm reluctant to have you all unarmed over there."

Porr watches Kylah and T'Var as they speak.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Patience is one of your people's virtues, Doctor," Kylah murmurs dryly, backing away from T'Var so her face can't be seen by the others. "Mine are not blessed with it."

She turns, ignoring Porr's stolid form, to look down the direction in which Collins and Geb departed, almost glaring in an effort to force her mission's leader's return.

Finally she exhales in exasperation and flings a glance at Pourtash. "At what point do you contact Mr. Collins to ensure her safety? ...Sir," she adds, a trifle belatedly.
    Last edited by choie; 16 Jul 2012 at 09:46 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Captain, my gut is telling me this is some sort of test. Perhaps to the Sakathians, it's a sign of weakness to pack it in. I wish we knew more about them." Collins takes a breath. "We stay, and Pourtash and I keep our phasers. The others will do the jobs they've been assigned, and we will show the Sakathians that we are strong but peaceful."
    Damn, I hope that's the right choice.
    "I'd be interested to learn more about Dr. Waite and why he is here. He does not seem at ease. Almost as if he is a captive." Collins pauses. "I will have Fujishiro and Kylah talk with him, alone if that's at all possible. Collins out."
    She closes her communicator and puts it away before exiting the room. She looks around at everyone. Kylah seems on the verge of crying, good - maybe it'll help. Collins walks over to Pourtash and says loudly enough for the rest of the crew to hear "You and I will remain armed. Everyone else, please begin you assignments."
    She walks over to Director Geb and holds out her empty right hand. "I promise, our stay here will be without incident. We are only here at the request of your Government, and we will help your teams in any way we can."
    Collins walks over to a spot in the room that gives her a good view of everything, then motions to Pourtash to take up a similar position at the other side. She stands at parade rest.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is relieved to see Collins returning, with her phaser still in her possession. The news that apparently the Director hasn't agreed to this does come as a surprise--So Collins is willing to break their laws? Kylah thinks approvingly--and though she's pleased that Starfleet isn't backing down, she's not sure how well this will bode for relations with these uptight, ungrateful Sakathians.

It doesn't help that her own brief for this mission is nebulous at best, basically boiling down to "learn all you can about these people and their culture," which is as useful an instruction as a razor to an Orion male. Kylah scowls at Porr and Geb. There's more culture in one of T'Var's Petri dishes than in any one of these brutes, pretty murals notwithstanding.

But duty is duty, and she won't shirk it just because she's disgruntled. Since the only meaningful exchange she's had so far has related to this aforementioned mural, Kylah decides to play nice again. As long as it's not aimed at Porr, she can deal with it.

She walks over to the mural and prepares her tricorder, hoping to get an image scan. Over her shoulder, she looks at Director Geb. "May I take a recording of this, Director? I promise our scanner will do no harm whatsoever to the mural. It's just that this is such a striking creation, bearing both artistic merit and historical import. I would be honored to know more about each individual panel's meaning." She glances back at the mural. "In particular this," she says, eyeing the fifth panel. "The Age of Sorrows. To what does it refer?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

As Kylah waits for word from the most likely still annoyed Geb, she's surprised to see Collins leaving her position and moving to Kylah's side. Is she going to take me to task for this? Kylah worries, feeling jumpy as a cat for no reason.

Instead, Collins leans over to her and issues some murmured orders--but by the time Kylah really hears them, her C.O. is marching off. The request was straightforward: "See what you can get out of Waite." Though she didn't add the words, Collins's unspoken And be sure to get him alone, away from the others addendum was crystal clear in the meaningful stare aimed at Kylah before she headed off.

Though Collins is halfway across the room by now, Kylah nods, looking back at the mural with a pleased flush on her face. "Yes, sir," she says softly to herself. Already trusted with some intelligence-gathering! Now this is what she was hoping for on her first mission. And it confirms that Collins shares her suspicions about Waite's behavior, so it's nice to know that she and Collins are in sync in this regard as well.

Not wanting to alert Geb to the new orders, she remains where she is, noticing out of her peripheral vision that Collins is now walking over to Fujishiro. Possibly the same order, possibly not. Actually, Kylah would be quite happy to work with Fujishiro--the other woman showed good sense regarding the removal of their weapons, and she's interested to see how they might act as a team.
    Last edited by choie; 18 Jul 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var walks over to Waite and Pierce. "I look forward to working with the two of you," she says. "I am sure our research will prove beneficial to all parties concerned."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Thank you, Dr. T'Var," Pierce says warmly. "The feeling is mutual."

Waite nods and smiles, seeming almost bashful as he meets T'Var's eye.

The rest of the Starfleet boarding party has been patiently waiting at parade rest. Director Geb says to Kylah, "Yes, you may record the murals," and is just about to say more when Collins returns. The Sakathian official hears Collins out, but doesn't shake her hand afterwards. Instead Geb says coldly, "You have obviously misunderstood me, Mr. Collins. Under our law, you may not remain on this station armed. As our discussion has reached an impasse, I now order you to return to your ship." She says a few words to Porr in Sakathian which you do not catch, and he speaks quietly into what appears to be a small, cylindrical communicator.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Jul 2012 at 08:50 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var observes Collins and Geb with interest.

She says to Waite and Pierce, "It seems as if we are at an impasse. Could either of you provide a suggestion as to how this situation can be rectified?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Waite looks miserable. Pierce glances at Geb and says carefully, "This is a Sakathian station. We are here only by their leave, and with their permission. I think you had best comply with the Director's... request."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah wants to pull her hair out in frustration at the Director's intractibilty. Though pulling the Director's hair out would be more pleasurable. She gnaws at her lip for a moment and, decision made. strides forward.

"Director, please do not do anything that will harm and hinder your scientists' efforts," she blurts. "Can there not be a compromise?" Kylah turns to Collins and gives her a pleading look, willing her to agree to what she's about to suggest even as she continues speaking to Geb. "Cannot our commanding officers remain here, with their holstered weapons in full sight of your--your security chief," she says with a forced polite tone, "while the rest of us continue to perform our assistance mission as requested by your government?"

She again darts a look back at Collins. "This way, at least Lt. JG Collins and Pourtash are in communicator-range of their crew, and can be of immediate service in the unlikely event of some--some sort of emergency. Where they'd assist your own security team, which I'm sure is very able."

The last words nearly stuck in her throat but she's glad she got them out. Kylah catches Rangin's attention by casually placing her hands down at her sides--where her knives are inches away, as they always are: one strapped to her thigh beneath her standard Starfleet skirt, the other to her left calf beneath her boot. Hoping he got her silent message, she concludes. "And should this be acceptable to both you and my superior officers, Director, I will volunteer to accompany Dr. T'var during her work with you and your researchers. I would be so grateful to learn as much as I can about your world. That is one of Starfleet's highest priorities--to forge understanding between civilizations."

Even as she concludes, she knows she broke proper procedure; she should have spoken to Collins about this proposal first. But she also knows that if she'd made an attempt to speak to Collins in private, Geb--and certainly the ever-suspicious Porr--would likely have suspected some sort of skullduggery. No, speaking up in this seemingly forthright fashion wa the wiser choice, she's certain of that. Well, almost certain.

And if Geb and Collins agree, Rangin can explain later exactly why I might be of use in ensuring T'Var and the others are protected. Collins will understand.

I hope.
    Last edited by choie; 22 Jul 2012 at 12:41 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not yet convinced this isn't some sort of test. Collins watches Kylah in disbelief. Isn't that what I just told frackin' Geb? Suddenly, inspiration strikes her.
    "Director Geb, as I've said, we are here at the request of your Government," as she speaks, Collins walks over to where her shipmates are standing, "However, we do not wish to cause an incident, so I offer this. Drs Waite and Pierce accompany us back to the Yorktown and conduct their studies in our science labs. You and anyone you wish to bring are also welcome, of course."
    Before Geb can answer, Collins opens her communicator, and while looking at her crew says "Collins to Yorktown. 6 to beam up and please stand by"

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney finding the entire situation a bit surreal, stands by for beam up.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var is unsure what will happen next. There seems to be no logical way to predict the outcome. Perhaps, if the two scientists are permitted to leave, they might feel more at ease and willing to provide some much-needed information regarding the Sakathians and their behavior.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah braces for transporting, her face red as she refuses to look at Collins. Geb might have agreed to let you two remain behind by the lab entrance, you foolish human. Neither of you are fit for leadership. Geb because she's unable to bend, and you because you wobble back and forth like a reed in a windstorm!

So thus ends Kylah's initial mission, never even begun. To have one's very first mission end in failure seems an utter embarrassment, and she dreads having to report back to her Guardian.

Though it does little to ease her pride, at least this doesn't appear to have been a vital mission. Who are these Sakathians anyway? Elas may be small, but we possess materials the Federation and Klingon empire found worth fighting for. Sakath is nothing to no one, and their people are hardheaded imbeciles as well. Even after those invaders they find so threatening were gone, they still couldn't fix their own problems--else why did they have an 'Age of Sorrows' later on?

The thought makes her take one last glance at the mural. What was the 'Age of Sorrows'? Kylah was genuinely interested in finding that out before Geb was interrupted.

Chin held high and jaw clamped shut, Kylah waits to return to the ship.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Geb says evenly, "Drs. Waite and Pierce are free to go if they wish, of course. We will await your return."

The two human researchers glance at each other. Waite shrugs and says, "Yes, perhaps a visit to your ship would be best. I'd like to discuss a few things with Capt. Singh." The two of them step closer for beamout.

In moments, you lose yourselves to the usual wash of energy and odd sense of disassociation, and then find yourself back on the Yorktown's transporter platform. The Chief Engineer himself is now behind the console, and says, "The Captain would like to meet with you all in her conference room immediately."

Registered
    Feb 2009

As the group heads to the lift, Collins catches up with Fujishiro. "I'd like to apologize. I know you spoke up before Mr Pourtash did, and it appeared as though I ignored. Not the case. I was focused on trying to appease Geb, and didn't actually realize you'd said anything until later."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah lags behind, falling into place just behind Rangin as they all troop to their destination. She has literally no idea what to expect from this meeting, try though she might to anticipate the Captain's likely reaction.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var walks beside Kylah. "You handled yourself well, Ensign," she says.

The doctor is not sure how to deal with Waite and Pierce. She is sure they know a great deal about the situation with the Sakathians. Will they be willing to share this knowledge?
    Last edited by WES; 23 Jul 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

T'Var's words bring a little flutter of pleasure to Kylah, and she nods in gratitude at the kind compliment. "Thank you, doctor. I know missions are not always successful, but this being my first one... I cannot help but feel a measure of failure. I feel perhaps... perhaps I went beyond what was called for, not just by my low rank and experience, but my exceedingly minor role as delineated in my brief. Frankly I had little use there, and maybe I tried too hard to be of more assistance, all to no avail." Especially considering the mistakes made by my superior officers, she declines to add. "When in truth, my skills were neither needed nor used."

For a moment she hesitates, remembering something. "Although I did notice that the Universal Translator did not always translate Sakathian adequately, such as when the Director and Porr were speaking privately. My facility with decoding and xenolinguistics might have helped bridge the gap... eventually. And then there was that mural..."

Kylah sighs, then belatedly relizes she's babbling with a woman who is usualy very quiet, and probably prefers silence as well. Nevertheless, Kylah's curiosity about T'Var's past with Waite remains. "Your own disappointment must be far greater. I hope you will be able to assist Drs. White and Pierce once this is cleared up--if it is cleared up," she adds with more pragmatism.
    Last edited by choie; 24 Jul 2012 at 02:35 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Capt. Singh welcomes you all back to her conference room. She greets Dr. Waite in person, and he introduces her to Dr. Pierce. "Please be seated," the Captain says, as mess stewards offer everyone coffee, tea or other beverages. "Mr. Collins, I'd like your report, and others are free to share their thoughts, as well. Then I'd like to hear from our visitors."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yes, Captain." Collins gives a professional recounting of the events of the day, refraining from editorializing for now. But, man, do I have opinions on Geb and the Sakathians.
    When she finishes relaying the facts, Collins adds "Ensign Kylah may have been over enthusiastic, but I'd like to believe she made a positive impact." Jeremi pauses briefly. "Permission to speak freely, Sir?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var sips her Vulcan spice tea thoughtfully. She will wait until others have spoken before sharing anything herself.

She is also curious as to what the two scientists have to say. T'Var is hopeful their words will shed some light on things.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah takes careful measure of every person's expression and gesture, hoping to get a good sense of what people might be thinking. She focuses on the captain, Waite and Pierce.

Otherwise she takes her lead from T'Var and remains silent and purposefully stoic while waiting the captain's response, though Collins's phrasing of the compliment did make Kylah's eyebrow raise slightly.

She does hope Rangin says nothing about her refusal to give up her weapons. Singh knows nothing about them, as far as Kylah knows, and overall Kylah prefers that state of affairs.
    Last edited by choie; 25 Jul 2012 at 06:35 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Permission granted, Mr. Collins," the Captain says. "You should all speak freely."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Sir," Collins says, "I don't understand how this miscommunication could have gotten so out of hand. Surely when the Sakathians requested our presence, they specified 'no weapons'. If they did not, how did they expected us to know? And to assume we'd just go along. I admit I almost did, and but for Pourtash and Fujishiro, I might have. Director Geb was not willing to compromise, or even allow higher ups to be consulted." Jeremi realizes she is now talking faster than normal, and her pitch and volume are rising. She stops, regains her composure, and continues. "I find it unreasonable that they invited us, and then made it impossible for us to stay."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I was not informed that weapons were not permitted," Singh says coolly, looking at Dr. Waite. "Had I known, I would obviously have told you, Mr. Collins."

"I thought I told you, Captain," the researcher replies. "I'm almost sure of it. It was known and acknowledged by previous ships which have supplied us. It might've been one of those details that just fell through the cracks. If I didn't tell you, you have my apologies."

There is an awkward pause, and Ens. Hayes says, "Director Geb apparently did not feel she had the authority to strike any kind of compromise. She was definitely inflexible."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain looks around the room and wryly says, "Sometimes I think you're the most bashful group of officers I've ever seen. Any other reports, thoughts, observations...?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has waited for the others to speak, but since they seem reticent, she might as well say what's on her mind.

"Captain, I greatly appreciate Mr. Collins's compliment. I did try to establish a rapport with Director Geb and learn more about the Sakathian culture. There appears to be more to their troubled history than invasions from outsiders. According to a historical tapestry, there was--not long prior to their reaching outward to the stars--an era called the Age of Sorrows, which occured a significant amount of time after the 'offworlders' invasion about which the Director seemed so concerned. I'd hoped to learn more about that, and I do believe the Director was about to tell me, but once Mr. Collins announced her intention that she and Mr. Pourtash would stay with us all, armed, Director Geb grew defensive and was no longer of a mind to respond. She and particularly her security chief were actually defensive and wary the entire time we were there, though at certain points in my attempts at communicating our benign intent, Director Geb seemed to soften somewhat."

She takes a deep breath. "For example, I proposed an alternative plan, whereby we--Fujishiro, Rangin, Delaney and I--would go off and attend to our duties, with myself attending the doctors and researchers, while Mr. Collins and Mr. Pourtash remained behind guarded by the Sakathians' security team -- but armed, and with their communicators ready to receive any warnings from those of us deeper within the station. Again, I thought Director Geb might listen to me, but we transported back before I had a chance to hear the Director's response. I would have very much liked to hear it. After all," she adds dryly, "a 'no' can sometimes be as informative as a 'yes'--depending on the tone and vocabulary."

Swallowing, she looks across at the Captain. "I may have overstepped my boundaries, Captain, but my attempts to show respect to their history and protocols might have been rewarded if we'd stayed a little bit longer. I understand I am greatly outranked by my superior officers, and this is only my first mission, but if I may be honest, I think we left too soon. Success might have been forthcoming. I do have a--" How shall I put this? "--a certain instinct for persuading others by identifying their weaknesses. It was much remarked upon in my Academy record, as you may know."

Finally she can no longer avoid addressing what her human Academy roommate used to call 'the elephant in the room'. She turns to Waite, aiming her dark gaze at him like a dart. "And that same instinct tells me that Dr. Waite knew quite well that he did not tell you of the weapons ban. Though it is not my place to question him regarding why he omitted this key factor and put not just the mission in jeopardy but the relationship between the Federation and the Sakathians, I would respectfully recommend you do so, Captain."

There. It's out. Kylah exhales but does not relax in her chair, remaining rigid and straight-backed. The Captain wanted candor, and so she received it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var clears her throat. "I do not believe Dr. Waite would cause a disruption to our mission with the Sakathians."

The doctor stares intently at Henry Waite -- a stare that used to get the truth out of him whenever T'Var felt it necessary. "Unless, of course, he had a very good reason to do so."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Whatever the reason," Collins adds, "the Doctors will have all the help from us that they desire, now that they've come aboard." Something is still nagging at her, like that stupid panel button, but she can't identify it. "Captain, would it be against protocol for you to talk directly with the Sakathian Prime Minister to straighten this out, maybe get us special dispensation? I'd really like to go back to the Station, but not unarmed."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Waite glares at Kylah and says, somewhat angrily, "As I've already said, I thought I'd told you about the Sakathian law on weapons. I would never do anything to jeopardize Starfleet operations here, and I resent the suggestion that I would. We need the animals and supplies you've brought. Why would I try to delay their delivery?"

"I'm sure Mr. Kylah meant no offense, sir," Singh says. "Do you think it would do any good for me to try to contact the Sakathian government, to get some kind of dispensation or waiver?"

"I really doubt it, Captain. They tend to be sticklers for the rules, in my experience."

"Especially where offworlders are concerned," Dr. Pierce says. "Waiving the weapons rule would only aggravate their latent xenophobia. Geb's people would be asking, 'Why are these Starfleet people so insistent on being armed?'"

"I see," says the Captain, clearly frustrated. She looks around. "Any other thoughts, gentlemen?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Aug 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Refusing to apologize or take back her words, Kylah simply turns to her commanding officer. "Have we really much choice, Captain? Since these Sakathians are so inflexible, it would seem we either accept their demands and place Starfleet officers at the Sakathians' disposal--and at our own risk; drop the cargo off and leave without offering assistance; or give them nothing." Kylah knows which option she'd recommend, but keeps her tongue still on that suggestion.

Then she scowls, a sudden possibility flashing into her mind. She shifts her gaze to the others, waiting for them to speak, before continuing.

"But a thought occurs to me," she says slowly. "What if, instead of beaming aboard from the ship, we travel to the station by shuttlecraft? Once we dock, the boarding party could leave our phasers behind, while a few fully armed 'technicians' would remain on the shuttle, weapons at the ready?

"In this way, our security officers would be nearby and ready to assist if necessary... while we'd remain in technical accordance with their laws by not bringing our phasers onto the station." She lifts a corner of her lips in an approximation of a wry smile. "Is such a thing possible?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"It is quite obvious that we will be faced with a real challenge while working with the Sakathians considering their rigid lack of flexibility in this matter," T'Var says. "Perhaps it would be best if we drop off our cargo and leave -- for now. If the Sakathians change their minds and require our assistance in future, we could try this again."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I agree", offered Collins, who is doing her best not to run screaming from the room in frustration, "Drop the cargo and go. Ensign Kylah's idea seems workable on the face of it, but as we'd be docked at the station, the Sakathians would want to know why we are leaving "technicians" on the shuttle. They may also insist that they be allowed to search the shuttle, and that would defeat the purpose."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The Federation's treaty with the Sakathians obligates Starfleet to provide personnel to oversee the transfer of research materials such as animals," Dr. Pierce says, "and to remain on-site for 'a reasonable period.' You can't just 'drop the cargo and go,' and frankly, we wouldn't want you to."

"The research station doesn't even have a shuttlebay," Dr. Waite adds. "There's no means to dock one of your shuttlecraft."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah stares at Waite in disbelief. What kind of space station lacks a docking bay? And a research station, at that? Are there not some materials too hazardous to transport? She shifts her gaze down to her lap, where her hands are now clenched in impotent fists. Incredible. Not only are the Sakathians paranoid ingrates, they're incompetants at design as well! She expects there's no point in suggesting a shuttle flying in geosynchronous orbit around the station; somehow that idea will prove impossible as well. Besides, Kylah knows she's already said far more than a neophyte ensign should on her first mission.

It seems clear that the captain is being manipulated into the only two options remaining: refuse the mission, or leave her crew on the station unarmed. Kylah's nails dig into her palms as she again looks up at Captain Singh. It is, after all, her decision.
    Last edited by choie; 04 Aug 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var frowns. "With all due respect, Dr. Pierce, it seems quite clear that the Sakathians have no interest in the Federation's treaty or our assistance in this matter."

The doctor's frown deepens. "We have a right to protect ourselves, after all. There must be a way to find common ground here."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash sighs as he listens. The more that Dr. Pierce and Dr. Waite say, the more manipulated he feels. He reminds himself that not everything that appears to be manipulation necessarily is. The Sakathians could simply be an inflexible, paranoid species without any ill intent. That didn't exactly make the situation much better, though. He kept searching his mind for missions he had read about in which Starfleet was forbidden from remaining armed and what resolutions had worked in those encounters.

"Is there any flexibility in the treaty whatsoever for us?" Pourtash asks. "No provisions for us to do anything but show up, remain until they are satisfied, and be unarmed the entire time?" He pauses, frowning a bit as he knots his brows together in concern. "What recommendations did previous teams make after bringing supplies? This is an unusual enough situation, I'd be very surprised if no one considered how to prepare for next time." He glanced toward Collins, but since she had been as blindsided as the others, he supposed she didn't know.

And they'd had no chance to prepare for this specific situation, because of the oversight in their briefing. Never assume malevolence where simple incompetence will do, Pourtash reminded himself. But this was still a hell of an oversight.

"If there are no provisions in the treaty for us to ensure our own safety, we may very well be required to remain on the research station for 'a reasonable period' sans weapons. It's dangerous and I greatly dislike it, but it may be a risk we have to take for the sake of the treaty." Though he seriously had to wonder if any of this was worth it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins hears the tone of Pourtash's voice and adds "How important, really, is the Sakath System to the Federation? Would they really be an asset? Or do we only want them because some of our enemies have expressed interest?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I agree with you, Mr. Pourtash," the Captain says. "I've read the treaty, and it is as Dr. Pierce has described it. Given the nature of the animals being transferred, especially the Denebian slime-devils in this case, I suppose it's understandable the Sakathians would insist on those provisions." To Collins she says, "Our orders are to complete this mission. It's really not up to us to determine the worthiness of the Sakathians as research partners, potential allies or even future members of the Federation, except as that may affect the completion of our mission. But yes, despite this bump in the road, I agree with Starfleet Command that they would be an asset."

Ens. Hayes says thoughtfully, "I reviewed the logs of the previous Starfleet missions here, and the no-weapons law wasn't mentioned. I don't know if that was because everyone knew it, understood it and considered it unworthy of mention, or if it's a recent development."

"The last Starfleet ship was here, what was it, six years ago?" Singh asks, quietly drumming her fingers on the Theban marble tabletop.

"Yes, ma'am. The Potemkin brought an earlier Sorbonne research team here, and then returned them to Starbase 17 after just a month or so. Dr. Waite's team was brought here by chartered ship."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"It is understandable that the Sakathians want us to remain after the transfer, but what good could we possibly do against Denebian slime-devils if they escape and we don't have weapons ready?" Pourtash points out, knotting his brows together again. "Even phasers can be deflected by the armor on their heads, but it's better than nothing. It's foolhardy to expect us to be in any way helpful under those circumstances."

He considers what Ens. Hayes has offered, still not happy with their options.

Even obvious information should be in a mission log and he'd expect better of Starfleet than that, which makes him think it may be a more recent development than Waite has implied.

"Is it possible we could arrange it so that weapons are ready to be beamed to us in the event phasers are needed? Maybe maintaining an open channel at all times with someone? Would the Sakathians accept the absence of phasers on their research station, but the potential of gaining access to them in an emergency? They seemed amenable to us keeping phasers locked away on the station itself."

It was a hopelessly convoluted solution, but it seemed to Pourtash everything straightforward or sensible had been barred from them.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Did the Sorbonne research team encounter a situation similar to our own -- or are we the first?" T'Var asks, a note of irritation in her voice.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins feels helpless, but she daren't let it show. She keeps her poker face and focuses her not-quite-so-obviously-angry-glare on Dr Waite.

Closed thread