Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins finds no sign of Zheng rays.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins mentally shrugs and returns to her standard scanning and monitoring.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain talks with Director Geb and Dr. Waite a little more, then ends the conversation with, "Thank you both for your welcome. You may expect our boarding party, led by Lt. JG Jeremi Collins, shortly. Yorktown out."

"Mr. Collins," she says, "take charge of the boarding party. Beam over when you're ready, and let us know when they're prepared to receive the various lifeforms we've brought. Good luck."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah ensures that the communications channel has been securely closed. In the back of her mind she recalls tales from the Academy of conversations being overheard due to either accidental or purposeful glitches that left the frequencies open after dialogues were allegedly ended, resulting in everything from mere inconvenience and embarrassing lapses in etiquette to outright dangerous revelations about battle strategy.

The cases might well have been apocryphal--professors did love their worst-case-scenario hypotheticals, which inevitably turned into "totally true" horror stories by the time cadets gleefully spread the rumors--but either way, Kylah learned the lesson. She has no intention of being used as a cautionary tale in some future Communications 101 lecture.
    Last edited by choie; 19 Jun 2012 at 10:56 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Aye, Sir." Collins taps the comm, "Collins to Lt JG Fujishiro, Ensign Hayes, and Ensign Rangin. Meet the rest of the Boarding Party in Transporter Room 1," She turns to T'Var, Delaney, Pourtash, and Kylah, "Let's hit it." She heads for the lift.

When the whole group arrives in the Transporter room, Collins tells Pourtash to beam over first, with Dr T'var and Lt JG Delaney; she'll follow with the others.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var steps to the Transporter. She takes a deep breath, then lets it out slowly. She is calm and focused -- at least for the moment....

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, who'd be bouncing on her heels with impatience if the habit hadn't been snapped out of her thanks to her tutor's omnipresent ruler, gives Pourtash, Delaney and T'Var a nod of good luck before they transport away as the first party.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Engineering Lt. JG Mark Ferguson is at the transporter controls. He asks that everyone ensure that they have phaser-1s (set on stun), communicators and tricorders, as necessary. "Energize," says Collins, and he beams Pourtash, T'Var and Delaney over to the station without incident.

He says to Kylah, just loud enough for her to hear, "Up you go, then, Princess." When Kylah turns to looks at him from the steps of the transporter platform, he has an unpleasant smile. The others, unaware of what just happened, take their positions.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

What does Delaney see?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins braces herself for the rush of transport.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's mind is so preoccupied with excitement for the mission that it takes one step on the transporter pad before the murmured words sink in.

Swivelling around, she catches the look on the transporter operator's face--a human she's never seen before--and finds herself go numb at the sheer hostility in the man's smile and disconcerting gaze, both aimed at her only briefly before he returns his attention to the controls.

Kylah has never before had any fear about this method of transportation, never had the slightest concern about arriving safely at her destination.

Now, as this stranger prepares to beam them over, it takes every ounce of control and discipline and pride she possesses to fight her sudden instinct to flee the transporter pad. Because she has no idea what just happened--or what's about to.
    Last edited by choie; 20 Jun 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Ready, Mr. Ferguson," Collins says, and the balance of the boarding party is beamed away before Kylah can say or do anything.

The transporter shimmer effect quickly passes from your eyes and you see you're all standing in a domed circular chamber about six times the width of the Yorktown's Bridge. It is of the same yellowish metal as the exterior of the station, crisscrossed with small conduits and tubes. Everything looks very functional and utilitarian other than a row of seven murals running along one stretch of wall, and a large thick viewport along another. You can see distant stars and the nearby lambent curve of Sakath V through it.

Director Geb is there with Dr. Waite and another Sakathian in a similar uniform to Ged's. The male Sakathian is much larger, though, tall and very well-built. He has a small device in his hand which he waves at the landing party and then whispers in Ged's ear. She nods.

There is also a human woman beside Dr. Waite; she is as small and thin as the Sakathian man is a heavyset giant. She is very pale and wearing a lab coat. A dozen or so other Sakathians come and go from the chamber, tools and instruments in hand; several glance at you but do not approach.

T'Var notices that Dr. Waite appears very surprised to see her.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 26 Jun 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var smiles at Waite and gives him a slight nod of recognition.

The doctor turns her attention to Collins and will follow her lead.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Exhaling, Kylah shakes off the strange reaction she felt just seconds ago and quickly puts it at the back of her mind. Now she's here and the reality of her very first mission is almost too thrilling to take in. She quickly looks at Director Ged and the other Sakathians, trying to focus on their body language and any of the whispered words she can identify. The tools and devices are fascinating, the way they're clutching them so tightly that they seem to be almost part of their own limbs. Interesting.

Then the murals catch her eye and it's hard to resist staring at them. Though verbal language is her specialty, Kylah knows much can be communicated in pure images as well. She does her best to subtly divide her attention between the Sakathians and the murals in hopes of better understanding their culture.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins steps forward to Director Ged. "Lt JG Jeremi Collins, USS Yorktown, at your service." She introduces her team to the denizens of the station.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Jun 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Before they approach, Director Geb says something to Dr. Waite and the human woman that none of you can quite hear. "Welcome to the station, Lt. JG Collins," she then says. "This is my Chief of Station Security, Ombloun Porr. His scan indicates that you and your party are armed. I thought you knew that we do not permit weapons to be brought onto the station?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 26 Jun 2012 at 09:25 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"My apologies, Director" Collins is a little embarrassed that she was not aware of that fact, but it doesn't show in her face. "but they are standard Starfleet equipment when leaving the ship, and they are only set to stun. They will only be used in absolute emergencies. We are here peacefully and in a protective capacity." Internally, Collins is kicking herself for not researching the Sakathians more thoroughly before this morning, but she maintains proper composure.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I see," says Geb. "Dr. Waite, did you discuss this with Capt. Singh in preparation for the Yorktown's arrival?"

Waite seems embarrassed. "Um... yes, I believe I did."

Geb is stone-faced. She turns back to Collins and says, "You will please beam your weapons back to your ship now."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins maintains a stony expression "Excuse me one moment, please" She walks over to a relatively empty and quiet area of the room and takes out her communicator. She flips it open, it beeps, she presses a button. "Collins to Yorktown. Captain Singh, we have an issue here"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh immediately replies. "Yes, Mr. Collins. What is it?"

Geb stares at Collins and clears her throat.

Rangin and Fujishiro whisper between themselves briefly.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, herself somewhat flustered by the turn of events, watches Ged carefully, noticing no real anger in the Director's stance and expression; there's more wariness than hostility, she guesses with some relief, although she's annoyed she's ill equipped to do more than guess.

The massive Security chief is a blank to her; he might as well be a brick wall, which frankly is what he looks like. Finally, glancing back at Waite, she's taken aback by his reddened face--which is in direct opposition to the blanching of his complexion upon seeing Dr. T'Var.

As the awkward silence stretches, she does her best to keep from scowling. If only I knew Sakathian, she thinks irritably. Some local homily might have diffused this absurd situation...

The omnipresence of the Universal Translator has turned xenolinguistics into a nearly extinct specialty, except for those few Starfleet officers consulting with those actually involved in programming the Translator. But it's a skill Kylah adores, and has found it more useful than people realize. Both at official functions back on Elan and even at the Academy, Kylah has often noticed how appreciative other species have been when she's addressed them in their own language directly, rather than relying on the UT.

But she doesn't know Sakathian--not yet, anyway; that's her goal on this mission--and so she remains silent, knowing that her superior officers are supposed to be in charge of dealing with the officials. Of course, Collins is otherwise occupied, and the others are apparently waiting for her to get the official word from the Captain.

She sighs softly. Not wanting to stare at their hosts like a bug-eyed, mute fish in a bowl, Kylah shifts her gaze and focuses entirely on the large murals nearby.
    Last edited by choie; 25 Jun 2012 at 02:13 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var waits patiently as Collins contacts the captain. She realizes that this situation is a common one. There is usually some sort of tension at the beginning of any mission. T'Var is certain everything will work itself out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I was unaware that Director Ged had specified no weapons. I don't recall hearing that in the conversation you had with her from the Bridge. If it is my oversight, I accept responsibility. But now she's asking that we beam our phasers back to the Yorktown. Please advise."

Collins is almost 100% certain that it was not mentioned, nor did the Captain make a point of telling her. She followed Starfleet regulations and armed her team. S.O.P. She maintains her composure talking to the Captain. Collins looks over to her team, everyone is standing expressionless at Parade Rest except Kylah. "This is not a museum trip" she thinks to herself "I may have to talk to her about this. Later. When we're back home."

Registered
    Sep 2009

There is a long pause before Singh replies, "I was not aware of any prohibition against sidearms, either. This is your boarding party, Mr. Collins. Consult with your shipmates, if you wish, but in any event, it is your decision. Do what you think best. Yorktown out."

Registered
    Mar 2012

The silence is deafening except for Collins's murmured words and the slight buzz in response from her communicator, and Kylah, a reluctant guest at many an uncomfortable official occasion hosted by her parents, realizes that if someone doesn't say something soon, the Yorktown crew will seem even more hostile and unfriendly to these obviously wary Sakathians.

Lacking her usual opening gambit of breaking the language barrier, she realizes the object she's staring at might be precisely what she needs.

She shifts her gaze back to Director Ged with a slight deferential nod. "Director Ged," she begins clearly, probably startling her crewmates though they don't seem to budge from their stiff, formal stances. "For this apparent lapse in our knowledge of your customs necessitating this delay, please let us beg forgiveness. I am sure my commanding officer will arrange things to your satisfaction and our mutual safety."

Next Kylah sweeps an arm toward the trio of murals, doing her best to imitate her mother's graceful gestures and curb her own natural abrupt, impatient movements. "In the interim, may I humbly express my admiration for this remarkable collection of murals, and ask of their history and signifigance?"
    Last edited by choie; 26 Jun 2012 at 01:06 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var glances from Kylah to Collins. Though the young ensign might be a bit presumptuous at this point, her words could also relieve some of the obvious tension.

The doctor knows little of diplomacy. Having served in the V'Shar, she understands security. As a physician, she understands medical issues and their consequences.

She will leave everything in the capable hands of Collins and assist if asked to do so.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Aye, Captain" As Collins closes her communicator, she hears Ensign Kylah speaking to Ged. Her first instinct was to run over and cover for any protocol errors, but then she heard what Kylah was saying, and relaxed a little.
    Collins walks back over to Director Ged. "Again I apologize, Director, but our Captain was unaware of your restrictions. Perhaps we can compromise. Everyone except Lt. JG Pourtash and I will return their arms to the Yorktown. You may place Pourtash's and my phasers in a lockbox, to which only you and your second have access. That way, if they are needed to maintain the security of this station, they are relatively easily retrieved. Is that acceptable?" Collins smiles pleasantly, but not condescendingly. I should have paid more attention in my Diplomacy classes, she chides herself silently.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's Geb, not Ged. Memory glitch - my mistake. I've fixed my misspellings and will do so for others, if you wish; otherwise, don't worry about it.

Upon hearing Collins's proposal, Geb looks at Porr, who seems to think it over before making a small nod. Geb then says, "That is acceptable. Please do so immediately."

But Fujishiro says, in a studiously neutral tone of voice, "Lieutenant Collins, are you sure that's a good idea?"

Rangin whispers to Kylah, "Are you going to send back your knives, too?"

Before Kylah can reply, Geb says to the Communications officer, "As to the murals which you admired, they show the seven great eras of Sakathian history: the Dawn of Sakath, the Offworlder Invasions, the rise of the First Dynasty, the Second Dynasty and its fall, the Age of Sorrows, the Restoration and the Third Dynasty, and the Heroic Leap to the Stars."

Delaney, looking around with a practiced eye, now sees some indication of past leakage from ducting, and burn marks on the wall above one hard-mounted, modular equipment box. It has all apparently been repaired and cleaned, but he can spot it.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks the Director and praises the artwork's ability to express the planet's history so vividly. Privately, she's somewhat relieved. Geb's willingness to explain the murals with such pride seems to indicate Kylah's instinct to speak up might have been the correct one. And really, she was only telling the truth -- the murals are indeed quite striking.

Rangin's whisper reaches her and she makes a quick calculation. She thinks Collins is making a big mistake; weapons in a lockbox might as well be back on Earth for all the good they'll do in an emergency. But that's Colins's decision, and she's the more experienced officer and in charge of the mission.

Which is all well and good.

But no Elasian goes anywhere without her knives, no matter how innocuous the surroundings. And these surroundings--the tension in the air, that monolithic security chief--don't seem innocuous in the least. She's damn glad Fujishiro spoke up to question Collins, especially considering the pointed remark has drawn any attention from the rest of the crew.

Still, just in case anyone notices, she nods at the Sorrows mural in admiration before answering Rangin. "I see no reason, as they're merely decorative," she murmurs dryly but almost inaudibly, now switching her appreciative gaze to the Rise of the First Dynasty panel. "And unless they're specifically objected to, I'll not part with them. Ever."

Kylah suddenly aims a sidelong glance at Rangin, eyes glittering. "Except swiftly, silently... and blade first."
    Last edited by choie; 27 Jun 2012 at 03:30 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That Collins and Pourtash don't often see eye to eye when matters of command come up has been well established by now. The helmsman had made a conscious decision that he was going to try to stay as quiet as possible and let her lead without comment, so as to minimize any potential clashes between them. The weapons situation was difficult for him to ignore, however.

Paranoia, perhaps--something he did occasionally suffer from--but simply from a practical standpoint, he was doubtful this was the best solution.

"Sir," Pourtash says to Collins, perhaps with too much of an edge to it. "Are you sure a lockbox that only others have access to is accessible enough in case of an emergency? Retrieval time would render them useless in the vast majority of instances they could be needed."

He's trying not to outright tell her he thinks she's making a mistake, as he knows that won't go over well, but even his most diplomatic efforts with Collins can end in failure.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Collins removes her phaser from her belt, she hears Pourtash speaking to her. She turns to look at him and sees a mixture of disappointment and anger, mild but nonetheless obvious. She re-holsters her weapon and turns back to Director Geb.
    "My apologies, Director, but with all due respect, I have to rescind my offer. Lt JG Pourtash and I will keep our phasers at our side. We are, after all, here to ensure the security of this station. I will be happy to show your Security team how they work, if you like. But my shipmate is correct. In emergencies, timing is crucial."
    Collins hopes that this will not get back to Vargas and the Captain before she has a chance to report it in as much as it could negatively affect her next review. Her left hand behind her back, in view of Pourtash, she signals a 'thank you'.

"Now then," she continues speaking to Geb to get away from the topic, "Dr. T'Var will be working with Dr. Waite..." Collins goes on to inform the Sakathians of her team's assignments, ..."and Ensigns Hayes and Kylah will be happy to answer any further questions you may have." She then turns to her team ans says "Okay, you all know what you'll be doing. Dismissed."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Jul 2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: No holsters - just Velcro.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash breathes a silent sigh of relief that she doesn't seem likely to hold the comment against him. He really hadn't liked the thought of crossing her, particularly not when it was clear being in command of the mission meant a great deal to her.

Registered
    Mar 2012

After a relief-filled nod at Collins, Kylah casts approving glances at both Fujishiro and Pourtash, particularly hoping the latter notices -- but realizing his attention is understandably aimed at Collins and the Sakathians.

She's genuinely surprised that Collins changed her mind so quickly. Kylah only wishes she'd done so in reaction to Fujishiro, rather than Pourtash. Does Collins not know how that might appear? Kylah looks closely at Director Geb. A female who's reached such a position of power might not respect another who backs down due to the objections of a subordinate male. Memories of Dohlman Elaan float through her mind. Her cousin would never have tolerated such dissent by an inferior, and would have been disdainful of any woman who did.

But Kylah knows Collins has made the proper decision, and hopes Geb sees the logic of it.
    Last edited by choie; 05 Jul 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash catches the look from Kylah out of the corner of his eye and glances back to acknowledge her, giving a small nod, though he doesn't want to stop paying attention to Collins and the negotiations that are still ongoing. She's said she'll keep the phasers, but that doesn't mean that there won't be an argument or some new restriction in place. He sincerely hopes there won't be. He's not sure how Collins might fair with being put in a difficult diplomatic situation, or what experience she might have with them.

He is curious about what interpretation the Elasian and the others might have on the situation, but there will be time enough for the team to speak to one another later.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var observes everything in silence. The doctor was a bit concerned that party members would openly question Collins about her decision, yet she is also pleased that Collins handled it the way a leader should.

Hopefully, all will progress smoothly form this point on. Of course, working with Dr. Waite will indeed prove interesting. T'Var hopes all will progress smoothly with that as well.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fujishiro does not look pleased to have been apparently ignored by Collins.

Geb is even less pleased by Collins's change of mind. "You made an offer which I accepted, Lieutenant. I thought we had an agreement. Are Starfleet officers not to be trusted to follow through on commitments they have made? In any event, our law remains the same. Offworlders may not carry weapons on this station."

Dr. Waite seems extremely uncomfortable, as if he wants to say something, but can't or won't. The pale woman with him looks impatient.

"'Merely decorative,' eh?" Rangin murmurs to Kylah with a wry smile.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Jul 2012 at 09:13 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah throws a quick glance at Rangin, who doesn't appear ready to turn her in, and then returns to face the tense tableau surrounding her. Another glance up at the mural--a bloody history, and one that seems to explain the Sakathians' ultra-defensive stance now. Not entirely unlike Elas, in fact. And the pieces suddenly fall in place to form a strategy that might work to allay this seeming stalemate.

"Director Geb," Kylah blurts, stepping forward and feeling about two feet tall before the statusesque Geb and the mammoth-sized Porr. "Forgive me, but Lt. JG Collins seeks only to do what is right and proper, to find some compromise within both your laws and Starfleet's regulations, with the safety of her crew and the success of your research uppermost in her mind."

She swallows nervously. "Though it may be untoward to do so, let me speak personally. I-- I myself have not been part of Starfleet for very long. I am from Elas. You may not know of it, it's such a small planet and so distant from here. But we have a history much like your own. We have precious natural resources that others have sought, and fought for--much to the devastation of our people. Centuries passed with our planet treated like a mere toy to be grabbed at and wrenched at by warring, scheming, duplicitous outlanders." The use of the language is intentional. She might not be able to speak Sakathian yet, but their phrasing can certainly be emulated. "We became defensive and even aggressive in turn, knowing that at any moment our lives could be forfeit due to the greed of such enemies. Even our own private disagreements with another neighbor planet were manipulated for the benefit of these outlanders' sinister plots."

She doesn't dare look at Collins, whose expression she can only guess at. As it is, the waves of anger surrounding her are nearly tangible. Recklessly she continues: "But it was the Federation, through strong but fair Starfleet officers much like Lt. JG Collins here, who ceased this torturous history. They met with us not as aggressors but as equals. As peaceful mediators. Their objectivity and sense of justice pacified our leader's concerns..." Kylah hesitates, then adds with a wryly raised eyebrow, "...And like you, Director, our leader was not an easily fooled or pacified woman. She saw the truth: that the Federation merely wished to facilitate a treaty that would allow our planet's government to remain strong and keep our planet's resources inviolate from predators."

Excepting from the Federation itself, Kylah doesn't add. Instead, she continues in a solemn, deliberate tone. "Director Geb, if my planet, as mistrusting and defensive as it was, had not learned how to trust the Federation, I would not be here. I don't mean merely on this station, but alive, anywhere. We Elasians have all benefited from this association. It is this same Starfleet and the Federation who stand before you now--and I, too, now number among them, thanks to their role in my planet's security. We all of us are ready to assist your labors, ready to protect you if something should go amiss. If you will notice, Director--and Security Chief Porr can confirm this--Lt. JG Collins and Lt. Pourtash's weapons are, and have been since we transported over, locked on a non-lethal setting."

With an open gesture, she sweeps a hand toward the Sakathians before them. "Meanwhile, you and your people all outnumber us and may be armed with deadly weapons. We can do no harm to you. But if you allow my commander and her second-in-command their phasers, they may at least assist you in defending your lives, and your experiments, should anything dangerous occur."

Kylah shifts her attention to the goateed human among the strangers. "I am sure Dr. Waite, who seems trusted by you, will confirm everything I have said. I hope you--all of you," she adds with a slightly hopeful emphasis aimed at the red-haired woman behind her, "will forgive my forwardness, but as a newcomer to the Federation I thought my experience and my planet's history might give you some ease from your wholly understandable concerns."

Her mouth dry, she bows her head a few millimeters in respect and steps back in line with Rangin.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 09 Jul 2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections at choie's request

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ensign Kylah has the potential to become a fine Starfleet officer and leader T'Var muses to herself. Despite her impetuous nature.

The doctor smiles slightly. She is most interested in how Collins will handle this new development. T'Var does not believe it is her place to step in, but will do so if asked by the mission leader.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins, though outwardly unmoved, is very impressed with Ensign Kylah's speech and makes a mental note to recommend her for commendation, assuming of course, that the Sakathians see the wisdom behind her words. Jeremi remains stalwart. "Thank you, Ensign, that was quite eloquent. Director Geb, I am not embarrassed to admit that I made the offer prematurely. My shipmates are fine officers, all above reproach. Surely you will not hold my hasty offer against them. If it pleases you, you may assign one of your security team to be at my side the entire time." Jeremi makes another mental note to study up on diplomatic tactics during her next down time.
    Out of the corner of her eye, she notices Fujishiro's expression. It is only then that she realizes the lieutenant had spoken up before Pourtash, but Collins hadn't heard her, as she was staying focused on the Director. I will apologize to her as soon as this meeting breaks Jeremi tells herself.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Geb says, "I appreciate all that has been said, but despite what I may wish to do under the circumstances, the law still stands. Beam your weapons back, all of them, or I must ask you to leave."

"Director...." Waite begins to say, but she curtly holds up a hand and the researcher says no more.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah remains silent but her own anger is rising--she can only imagine how Collins feels. Too bad my tears won't work on a woman, she thinks while glaring at Geb. Never tried that trick before, but were Geb a male I'd certainly make an exception now!

Though she tries to keep her face neutral, as the older officers seem able to do, she knows her skills at dissembling have their limits. Rather than have her expression reveal her ire, she quickly aims her gaze at her feet. This way she'll look ashamed rather than furious.

But her mind rages on. Their own ships are too small and weak to handle the cargo, yet they dare make their rules govern those who would help them? We should dump the cell lines and animal containers in front of this--this inflexible ingrate masquerading as a leader--and force these fools deal with the creatures themselves.

A wicked thought occurs to her. And before we leave, we could loosen the animals' enclosures. Let's see how well they fare with twenty Denebian slime devils without our help! She nearly smirks at the mental image.
    Last edited by choie; 09 Jul 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var walks over to Collins and whispers in her ear.

"Perhaps we should leave -- for now. If our help is truly needed and desired, a logical compromise will be forthcoming, I am sure."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Excuse me one moment, Director." Collins turns towards T'Var and whispers back "I think this is more a game of poker than an ultimatum. Kylah has the gift of gab and I have Starfleet regs on my side. Leaving is a last resort and we are not there yet." She turns to her crew and addresses everyone but Pourtash. "You all go ahead and beam your phasers back to the Yorktown. Lt Pourtash and I will work with Director Geb until all parties are satissfied." Collins watches and waits as her crew does as instructed. Then She turns back to Geb. "Director, I would like to continue this discussion with you. I am certain there a solution we will both find amenable. Perhaps you have a conference room where we may have some privacy, just you and I?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash calls the Yorktown and, after everyone but Collins and he have put their phaser-1s in a pile, the weapons are beamed back to the ship.

Geb says to Collins, "All right, Lieutenant. If you wish. Come this way, please." She turns to go, and Collins follows her to a conference room just down the hall. It is windowless, plain, and furnished with a table and six chairs that have seen better days. The door whisks shut behind you.

The rest of the Starfleet boarding party stands there, facing the hulking Porr and the two researchers. Porr looks from Pourtash to Kylah several times, but says nothing. Dr. Waite finally clears his throat and says, indicating the woman next to him, "Um, I'd like to introduce you all to Dr. Asenath Pierce. She's deputy director of our research team, and the finest endocrinologist you'll ever hope to meet."

"Pleased to meet you all," she says with a nod. "Welcome aboard."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var knows nothing about the game of poker, so the reference does not help her understand the situation any better. She makes a mental note to have Collins explain what she meant later. If this poker is anything like Kriegspiel, we may be in more trouble than I first thought, the doctor muses to herself.

T'Var returns Pierce's nod with a smile. "Thank you," she says in an even tone. "I am Dr. T'Var, Assistant Chief Medical Officer of the USS Yorktown. T'Var glances at Dr. Waite. "Greetings, Henry. I hope you are well."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins looks around and walks to the sturdiest looking chair. She waits for Geb to sit as well.
    "I appreciate you agreeing to speak privately with me. Please help me understand your law against weapons on this station. If we take it item by item, perhaps we can find a solution."
    Jeremi is aware this is going to take some finessing, but her ultimate goal is twofold - one, to respect the integrity of the Sakathian station and two, to appear confident to her crewmates - more confident than she actually feels.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Waite says, "Uh, yes, thank you, T'Var. Dr. T'Var. I... I'm surprised to see you. How are you?" He is clearly ill at ease. Dr. Pierce looks at him bemusedly.

Geb sits down, folds her hands and says to Collins, "This is a facility of the Sakathian government. Offworlders are not permitted to carry weapons of any kind here. It's an old law, and a serious one. I may even be disciplined for allowing you and the other officer to remain armed as long as you have been already." She glances at the door.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Allow me to contact my Captain. Perhaps she can appeal to the head of your government for an exception for Starfleet." She may be imagining it, but she senses Geb understands what Collins has been saying all along about Starfleet being there for assistance and security only. Perhaps Kylah did get through to her.
    Deep inside, a piece of Collins is smacking the Sakatian security guards around and hollaring "We're in charge, now! Shut up and sit down". Must be that old Quentin Tarrentino film she'd watched, alone, earlier this week.
    Yeah. Alone. What is up with Ben, anyway? What's his issue? Collins feels herself starting to get angry, so she almost inperceptably readjusts her posture to a professional one as she reaches for her communicator and places it on the table in front of her. She leaves her hand near it.
    Last edited by anyrose; 12 Jul 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am well, thank you," T'Var answers. Dr. Pierce's expression does not escape T'Var's notice.

Registered
    Mar 2012

With no role to play while Collins is off hopefully convincing the intractable Geb of their sincerity, Kylah can only occupy herself by examining and analyzing her surroundings. Her specialty being language, she's a bit at a loss--words seem to be a rare commodity in this room--so that only leaves body language and other intangibles. Which, admittedly, are usually enough for her. But the Sakathians seem naturally resistant to such analysis. Not impossible, but they're hardly open books, either.

Speaking of books that are wide open for reading purposes, it's impossible for Kylah to miss the odd dynamic among T'Var, Dr. Waite, and the silent, enigmatic Dr. Pierce. Particularly Dr. Waite; he seems so uncomfortable that he might be wiling to leap onto the transporter pad and flee the room even if the coordinates land him in a black hole. And yet the two women on either side of him are as cool as he is jittery, despite the fact that T'Var had herself seemed discomfited before they arrived here. She calls him Henry. Familiar. Yet he prefers to emphasize her title--distancing himself. Perhaps that's why T'Var's response was so curt.

Meanwhile Chief Porr is making Kylah's skin tingle with wariness thanks to those pointed glances split between her and Pourtash. Does he know about her knives? No, surely he'd have mentioned them; a security chief wouldn't remain silent if he thought her a genuine threat.

The silence is absurd. Kylah feels her irritation rising again. Perhaps Starfleet officers are not taught the art of small talk, and Sakathians are obviously paranoid boors, so no help from that quarter either. Kylah never considered herself a prize diplomat--quite the opposite--but in this group someone must rise to the occasion. She just never dreamed it would be her.

But what on earth can she say? Especially with her throat still dry from her lengthy speech. Oh, for some Elasian spice tea right now! Or anything, really. Can these cretinous Sakathians not even offer us the hospitality they'd owe to mere visitors to their station? And we are here to help them! Unconscionable, not even an offer of a chair or a glass of--

Ah. Yes. And there's another bit of inspiration.

"Chief Porr," Kylah says in an imitation of her mother's tone--three-quarters silk, one quarter steel. "As we must wait to perform the assistance we intended to provide for your people, I wonder if I might seek a favor? As I mentioned, I am not human, but Elasian, and you may not realize that my people are ill-equipped, biologically, for transporter travel. The technology inevitably leaves us fairly dehydrated--I am almost weak with thirst." Of course this muscle-bound man of stone won't realize how ill-equipped Elasians are for transporter travel; it's an utter lie anyway. But seeing her as vulnerable even in some small way might ease his defensive posture just a bit.

She rests a hand on her throat, massaging it slightly, and aims her innocent dark gaze hopefully at Porr. "Is there any way you might have something to ease my discomfort? Water, ideally, but I admit I would be curious to try a refreshment unique to Sakath. Indeed, I'm sure I speak for all of us..." She glances at the other crew members nearby, willing them to nod pleasantly at the staff--especially Rangin, he seems clever enough to back her up--then returns to Porr, concentrating fully on reading his reaction to her words.
    Last edited by choie; 13 Jul 2012 at 01:41 AM.

Closed thread