Closed thread
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah continues with her duties, looking forward to heading to her quarters and putting a better lockdown on the log files. She doesn't want to do so here on the Bridge, with half the command crew nearby.

During her shift, she does find herself wondering about tonight's dinner. What will Collins be like in command of the mission? Will their initial coolness have a negative effect on Kylah's assignment? If the other woman follows Starfleet regs by the book, this shouldn't be the case, but there's no accounting for human nature, even if the Federation thinks all negative, petty qualities can be eradicated -- or "peace treatied" -- away.

As much as she hates protocol, she grew up learning how to deal with both equals and so-called inferiors. Once the truth was out about her parentage, she'd belatedly learned about dealing with superiors too. Unfortunately, by then it was too late; it was hard to adjust so abruptly to her change in status from favored child and possible future Dohlman to just above a house servant. Now, with her role in Starfleet, she's moved back up a few notches in the Elasian hierarchy... depending on how much she can do for her planet. She's pledged loyalty to Federation and Starfleet, but there is a deeper loyalty that requires no pledge: blood loyalty. Her siblings expect it, her Guardian expects it. And even Kylah expects it of herself.

So if all these loyalties demand obedience to a superior officer with whom she hasn't exactly bonded, so be it. Kylah can, and will, do what is necessary to fulfill her responsibilities. Once the mission unofficially begins at dinner, she will be as obliging and dutiful as anyone could ask of a Starfleet Ensign.

If this shift ever ends, she thinks, glancing discreetly at her chronometer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah's watch comes to an end in due course. The Captain thanks her for her work as Lt. JG Soerjosoemarno arrives with a smile to relieve her.

Collins and Cooper continue their conversation about... well, you know.

Pourtash shows up in the Shuttlebay at the appointed hour, and finds seven other crewmates there in a variety of Earth and offworld soccer gear, just starting to warm up. There are five men and two women. Ens. Carlos Alvarez, a medical research tech from Argentina, is setting out boundary markers for the "field." A green, thin, spongy synthetic deck covering is already spread out. Alvarez notices Pourtash, walks up, introduces himself and shakes the helmsman's hand. "Hey, I heard you might be coming. Always glad to have another player. Have you played shipboard before?"

T'Var finds that another seven cell lines have died since she last checked. She still has more than enough viable lines for the Sakathians, however.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Watch over, Kylah nearly sprints the whole way to her quarters, barring a Turbolift or two. She hesitates before entering, but then lifts her chin. They're my quarters too. If she wants to entertain half the Tholian fleet in there, she can bloody well lock the door. Head held high, Kylah marches in--and finds no one there. Good.

Quickly she heads to the computer panel near her bunk and logs in to her comm account. A few voice commands later, she's encrypted the purloined staff logs so tightly it'll take all of the engineering staff a few days to finesse their way inside--and that's only if they really want to find the libretto and score to her fake zither composition, Fifty Generations of Warrior Might: A Multipart Ode to the Elasian Royalty. It's her standard cover file for secrets of all kinds, with the actual logs hidden within the zither tabulature unique to Elas.

She sits back on her bunk, smiling. The best part is, even with the extra "notes" thanks to the staff logs and myriad other secret files she keeps in here, the hideous composition still sounds better than most modern music on Elas.
    Last edited by choie; 22 May 2012 at 11:38 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var is a bit flustered by the death of more cell lines. She will continue to research the problem and hopefully find a solution.

Of course, Dr. Waite would probably know exactly why the cell lines were dying and how to stop it.

The doctor sighs heavily and prepares for dinner.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash and the others have a fun game of soccer, but it ends all too soon. He knows he'd like to do it again sometime, and Alvarez and the other players make it clear that he'd be welcome back.

T'Var sees that the automatic nutrient dispensers for two of the cell lines malfunctioned and turned off. The other five lines just died.

Kylah dozes off and then realizes upon awakening that it's almost time for dinner. She doesn't see Collins in their quarters until she leaves for the Mess Hall.

Collins met Cooper in the Mess Hall earlier. She said, "Hi Ben. Thanks for meeting me early. Let's sit - I have news." She took his hands between her own. "I had my physical this morning. I'm perfectly healthy - healthy enough for two, in fact."

He stared at her for a moment, stunned. "You mean...."

"Yes. We're pregnant. I haven't decided yet what to do. I just knew I had to talk to you first." Jeremi smiled a little. She was never good at reading what was behind a stunned expression.

He squeezed her hands and smiled a little uncertainly. "Are you sure? I mean, is it possible they made a mistake?"

"I'm pretty sure they double-checked before they told me. Dr. T'Var ran to talk to the CMO before telling me." Jeremi took a deep breath. "I wasn't ready for this, but I'm not sure what I want to do. Maybe we could find a surrogate and have it transplanted? Or have it put in stasis until I'm, uh, we're ready?" She took another breath "...or I could terminate it."

He frowned. "I don't know of any way to transplant the baby before birth, or put it in stasis, but what the hell, I'm no doctor." He sighed. "Seems odd to refer to the baby as 'it.' Did they tell you the gender? Do you even want to know just now?"

Collins noticed that he doesn't mention abortion. "First, I need to know if you're in this with me. I will not do it alone. Second, IF we keep it, as opposed to adoption or abortion, then we can talk about finding out ahead of time or being surprised in nine months." It occurred to Jeremi that she really doesn't know all that much about Ben. She knows they are sexually compatible, and enjoy each others' company in other activities. But does he have siblings? Are his parents still living? What part of America is he from? Her expression got more serious. "Ben, we don't know each other very well, really. We have to really look at all the factors."

He said slowly, "I agree. This is just... well, this is a lot to think about. I hoped to be a father someday, but not, well, not now, you know? I have a career, and so do you. Having a baby would change all that."

"I'm right there with you on the whole 'not now' thing. Okay, I will talk to Drs. Villa and T'Var tomorrow and find out my options." Jeremi sighed, half out of relief and half out of disappointment. "The others should be arriving soon. Let's get our food."

"Uh... OK," he says. He seems relieved.

Rangin arrives and greets them warmly. If he notices their somewhat distracted air, he pretends not to notice as he goes to get a sandwich and coffee.

Collins's dialogue is by anyrose; Cooper's is by me. My thanks to anyrose for her help!
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 May 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var will have the dispensers repaired right away. This explains two cell deaths, but not the other five. There must be a logical reason for it. At the moment, T'Var is at a loss as to why.

Putting her frustration aside for now, the doctor heads to the Mess Hall for dinner.

Registered
    Mar 2012

When Kylah arrives at the Mess Hall, she sees that Dr. T'Var and Collins are already there; Collins is fetching food with that attractive man Kylah saw her with last night. Kylah feels uncomfortable around them for some reason. No, not just "some reason." She senses their intimate connection--anyone with two eyes can see it--and Kylah's always felt like an intruder around people bound together in such a way, even when it's a casual pairing. She has no idea whether Collins and this man are casual or headed for matrimony, but it makes no difference. She's still awkward around them.

So she hangs back and waits until they're finished selecting their meals before she heads up to grab something marginally edible, nodding a greeting to T'var on her way. She heads back to the table to sit beside Ens. Rangin, who--though they haven't met officially--probably has more in common with Kylah than almost anyone else. Rangin's planet is also a recent addition to the Federation, and, like Elas, has been the focus of a longstanding tug-of-war due to its dilithium deposits. And on a personal note, it's nice to sit with someone so close to her own height.

She introduces herself to her dining partner and waits for the others to join the table. She's not nearly as hungry for food as she is for the details of the mission. Her mission--the first of many, if she distinguishes herself.

Kylah barely chokes down a bite of her meal. She feels almost electric with anticipation.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var joins Kylah and Rangin.

"Your first mission as a member of Starfleet is something you will remember for the rest of your life," the doctor tells Kylah. "Savor it and remember what an honor it is to wear this uniform."

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins returns to the table and greets T'Var, Kylah, and Rangin. "Everyone have a good day?" She sits and takes a bit of her eggplant parmigiana.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin greets Kylah in a friendly way. He also answers Collins, "Pretty good. I spent most of the day looking after the beasts we're taking to the Sakathians. The storks and the capybaras are doing fine, but man, are those Regulan bloodworms feisty! They'd rip your throat out if you gave them half a chance. I'll be glad to get them off the ship."

Ens. Hayes arrives shortly afterwards, gets her dinner and sits down with a cheery "Hello, everyone!"

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney quietly takes his seat with a large bowl of Tomato Florentine and some fresh bread. "Good Evening to all of you."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var sighs. "My cell lines keep dying," she says with a serious tone. "Most irritating."

The doctor then realizes she did not get herself anything to eat. She is intrigued by the wonderful smell of Delaney's dinner and decides to get herself the same.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Ensign Kylah," Collins turns to her cabinmate, "we kind of got off on the wrong foot, didn't we. It's just I have a short sarcasm fuse. It tends to go off at the least little thing." She smiles at Kylah, "And I'm promise to check with you before I next bring Ben home. Are we okay?"

When Dr. T'Var returns to the table, Collins suggests T'var ask Delaney or someone else from Engineering to examine the hardware for tampering. "We still aren't sure who was involved with the snafu at the end of the last mission."
    Last edited by anyrose; 28 May 2012 at 04:55 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"An excellent idea," T'Var tells Collins. "To be quite honest, I had not thought of that possibility."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks carefully at Collins. Something is off here; the other woman is putting on a good poker face but there's disquiet behind her eyes.

But there are too many people around them and Kylah can't--and doesn't particularly want to-- focus on her roommate's every mood, so she shuts off her internal inspection beacon and gives Collins a reserved nod. "Of course, Lieutenant. I look forward to serving with you, and your gracious apology is unnecessary but accepted, and returned in kind."

Kylah waits until Collins turns to T'Var before taking a sip of water. Who says I cannot pass a diplomacy test? she thinks, smiling into her glass. Just watch me, Captain Becker. I'll show you up for that failing grade yet.
    Last edited by choie; 28 May 2012 at 08:32 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin says to Collins, "Are you suggesting sabotage? If someone really wanted to make life unpleasant for us, they'd free the slime devils. A few cell lines here and there don't seem like much of a problem, really."

Hayes raises an eyebrow and says, "I suspect Dr. T'Var doesn't see it quite the same."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I was not present for the last mission, but know enough about it to understand the concern Mr. Collins has," T'Var says evenly. "We must remain vigilant -- while on this current mission and while on board the Yorktown."

T'Var takes a spoonful of soup. She likes the flavor and makes a mental note to add it to her growing list of tasty human foods.

"Even the smallest incident could be significant," the doctor says.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah frowns a little and darts her glance from T'Var to Collins, asking bluntly, "By 'snafu' do you mean the still-unexplained death of one of your prisoners? I would certainly agree that barring a solution to that alleged crime, we-- that is, the ship's command crew," she amends quickly, "--must assume that there is potential for sabotage, and perhaps Mr. Collins is correct in suspecting it here."

She wants to add that she thought life was precious to these Federation officers, yet it seems unbelievably odd that the lack of an answer to that man's mysterious death seems not to have been placed at a high priority. But her failure at diplomacy in the Acadamy doesn't mean she's a complete boor, so she remains silent on this and changes the subject. "May I ask, what is our estimated schedule, sir? When will each of us receive our individual billet for the mission?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I'll be sending everything out in the morning," Collins tells her dinner companions, "Tonight is just about getting to know each other a little better." She looks around the table. It amazes her how little she knows about these people whose lives will shortly be in her hands. "I am from Earth, America, specifically eastern New York State. I joined the academy right out of high school, I served on the USS Pegasus before transferring to the Enterprise. I am closer with my Grandmother than I am with my parents. Nana will be 154 this year. She still goes out every day to be with friends. I hope I get to live that long. She tells the greatest stories about the 21st Century."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fujishiro, who's just arrived, and Rangin follow Collins's lead.

Fujishiro says, "I'm the Assistant Science Officer and Physics Officer. I'm from a big family and was raised in Kyoto, Japan, on Earth. I served aboard the Hood and the Merrimack before being posted to the Yorktown." She holds up her teacup and smiles. "And I love tea!"

Rangin says, "I'm from Coridan, and I've always liked learning about, and working with, animals of all kinds. I'm very pleased to be the ship's xenobiologist. I previously served on the Lexington, and know Mr. Pourtash a little from our time aboard together. I'm really looking forward to this mission, assuming the slime devils don't kill me first."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Jun 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is curious to hear from Delaney and Pourtash, but just as she knew she shouldn't be presumptuous enough to introduce herself first, she certainly doesn't want the attention of speaking last.

"I am the assistant communications officer, fortunate enough to have been posted to the Yorktown right after graduating from the Academy. My specialty is language translation unassisted by technology." Realizing that the others have added some personal trivia, Kylah hurries on: "As far as I am aware, I am the first member of Starfleet from Elas, where my family has--"

She hesitates; right here is usually where T'Var cuts her off. Not wishing to get more well-intentioned but inadvertently dismissive words of advice from the otherwise kind Vulcan, Kylah concludes her sentence with something that's surely banal enough to meet T'Var's approval: "--where my family has supported my arduous path from incompetence to proficiency in Elasian instrumental music performance."

Well, it's not a lie, she thinks dryly as she exhales in relief. Mother and Father weren't unsupportive, anyway.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yeah, about that," Collins says "My grandmother's zither is shaped more like the sound board of a baby grand piano than the artistically shaped one you've got. I apologize for being flippant about it."

Jeremi still senses a chill coming from her cabin mate, but she hopes it will thaw before the mission starts.
    Last edited by anyrose; 02 Jun 2012 at 07:07 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney speaks up, he starts slowly but then of course picks up speed in his rambling enthusiastic way, "I was born in New York myself, but raised on the Heinlein. One of the oldest L5s orbiting Earth. Indeed the Heinlein was second in recognition to his inspiring humanities entering space. It was followed by the Clark & Asimov. My father runs the Engineering plant of the Heinlein. I used to help him out a lot as a youngster. I knew all the access and hidden areas of the Heinlein by the time I was 13. My Mom is a surgeon for the Hospital. She may be up for head surgeon soon. Old Doc Patel is talking retirement. My sister Pam is studying at John Hopkins to be a Doctor and my brother Marty is doing well at Star Fleet academy. He is training to be a xenosociologist.

I don't really know my grandparents very well. My father's parents were on Earth and rarely seen in person and my Mother's parents had emigrated to Alpha V colony. I understand they are doing well.

I guess some of you already know, I love tinkering and engineering and even programming. I've wanted to be an Engineer from a very young age. Let me know if I can help any of you with anything.

I'm curious about the Zither now. I honestly don't know much about musical instruments. A hole in my studies I guess."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var clears her throat. Vulcans tend to keep their personal lives private, but the doctor wants to fit in with her crewmates. She speaks slowly and chooses her words carefully.

"Obviously, I am from Vulcan," she begins with a slight smile. "I have no musical abilities, but certainly appreciate those who do."

T'Var looks around her, pondering just how much she should share about herself.

"My academic background includes the Raal Prefectural Medical Institution and, of course, the Starfleet School of Medicine. I served aboard the Constitution prior to my posting here."

The doctor stares at her food a moment, then concludes with, "I enjoy meditation, competitive sports and -- as many of you know -- a good game of traditional chess now and again."

With that, T'Var takes another sip of her delicious soup.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"There is no need to apologize," Kylah says to Collins. On Elas a proper apology to her would have involved kneeling, but after her years at the Academy she's grown used to the far less formal behavior of Earth-raised citizens.

Curiously, one of the words in Collins' comments causes a faint shimmer of... something, some emotion, some worry... Even as Delaney speaks, Kylah keeps a noncommital expression on her face but wonders at the cause of what she's sensing.

She gives a mental shrug and switches her gaze to Delaney as his speech grows more rapid and enthusiastic. Kylah almost smiles at him, and then when he addresses her directly, she feels even more like doing so. But bestowing smiles lightly isn't her way.

"We are equally ignorant in our own way, Mr. Delaney; engineering is a gaping hole in my own background, aside from the requirements at the Academy. Fortunately, as Mr. Collins said, my zither is entirely hand-crafted, not technological. It is carved from a single flat stone, with spun crystal wires for 'strings'. One dampens one's fingers, then brushes them against the strands to play. Almost nothing can break the stone, but anything other than the lightest touch will shatter the strings. It is a construction typically found on Elas; strong, almost indestructable casings contrasted by the delicate and precious elements within."

A combination that had caused her plenty of bloodied fingers while learning how to play the instrument. Her fumbling touch had turned the glittering crystal strands into shards far too often. Fortunately artisans were always available to hand-spin more crystal into new strings, and she was eventually able to avoid further injury to herself as well as the beautiful but exasperating zither.

Kylah nearly invites Delaney to see the zither, but catches herself. The mission is not some excuse to create bonds of familiarity, although most of the others here at the table--with encouragement from the mission leader, to be sure--seem to believe so.

Instead she listens silently as T'Var speaks, inwardly amused by the pleasure the doctor is clearly taking from her meal.
    Last edited by choie; 03 Jun 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash stays quiet during the introductions. Some of it, he's heard before, but there's plenty that's new to him. His face is impassive, while internally he's experiencing a conflict. All of this talk about family members and specifically where people are from seems as though it could lead into sharing things that might be better left unsaid. Then again, his surname isn't that unusual and his origins on Deneva Prime are no secret. It would be far too easy for someone to find out, if they had any interest. He'll just have to hope that interest doesn't come up. Or, if it does, they have the decency to never say anything.

"I was born and raised on Deneva Prime. I always sort of envied those of you from Earth and all those direct ties to the land," he comments, offering a brief wry look towards Delaney and Collins. "I'm the oldest in my family, with two younger sisters. I'm sure they were breathing sighs of relief to no longer have me around once I finally left the colony. Academically, I specialized in astrophysics and astronomy, though it had actually briefly been difficult for me to decide on that. I'd debated devoting my life to art instead at one point." He smirks a little. "I can't play any musical instruments, though. Any talent I might have is strictly related to the visual arts."

He pauses and takes a sip of his tea. There. Not even a mention of the existence of his parents, but perfectly friendly.

"If you were ever interested in letting someone catch a glimpse of that zither, I'd love to see it, Kylah. It sounds like an exquisite construction."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var listens intently as everyone shares a bit about themselves. She senses that all have something to hide, secrets they hope will remain as such.

The doctor understands completely. She holds her own secrets deep within.

Registered
    Feb 2009

When Ensign Cooper joins the table, Collins introduces him to everyone. "And in case you don't already know, we're dating." Jeremi smiles warmly at Ben, then gives the others big "cat-who-got-the-canary" grin.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper smiles a little bashfully at Collins and mumbles, "Hello, everyone" to the rest of the table. He is uncharacteristically shy, those who know him can see.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash offers Cooper a nod and a smile in greeting. Collins hadn't introduced him as her boyfriend before, but it had been obvious enough any time they were seen together. "I thought I'd recognized your stamp of ownership on him, Collins," he jokes lightly.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins raises an eyebrow at Pourtash, but smiles anyway. She enjoys another bite of her dinner, then looks around the table. "I guess now is as good a time as any" she says, "Here's the plan: Lt. JG Pourtash and I will oversee the mission and cover whatever security needs arise. Ensigns Hayes and Kylah, you'll be our voice in any discussions with the Sakathians; your communications and diplomacy skills will serve us well, I'm sure. Mr. Delaney, you'll make yourself available for whatever the joint Sakathian-Federation scientific team needs from an Engineering standpoint. Dr. T'Var, you'll be available for their bioscience and medical needs, please; I'd like you to work directly with Dr. Waite. Mr. Fujishiro, I'll need your input on scientific issues, and Mr. Rangin, you'll ensure that the transfer of the lifeforms goes smoothly, and advise the Sakathians as to care, diet, containment and so on. Everyone will bring a phaser-1, set to stun. Weapons are to be used in emergencies only, of course. Other than that, standard offship gear. Although the Yorktown is scheduled to stay in Sakathian space for two weeks, we don't yet know how long our boarding party will remain on the research station," she pauses, trying to gage everyone's reactions, " Of course, I welcome your input on all matters," Jeremi raises her coffee mug "To a successful mission."
    Last edited by anyrose; 06 Jun 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Pourtash's turn to talk comes and Kylah is glad to focus on the kind young man, one of the few crewpeople who's been neither condescending, professorial, or flat out sarcastic to her. He's seems to be the sort of person Kylah both admires and finds somewhat incomprehensible: a good-natured, easygoing, genuinely happy individual.

...Which is why the moment she faces him and he begins to talk, and she stares into his eyes, she's utterly unprepared for the flood of emotions that overwhelm her. Her face burns with embarrassment, discomfort, and.... and something else. Something that frightens her. She's at a loss and can hardly listen to a word he says--until the words Deneva Prime belatedly manage to force their way into her head. The strange instinct to reach out and touch his hand is almost impossible to fight, but of course she fights it, successfully.

And now he's saying her name. Why? She remembers him mentioning something--oh, the zither. The stupid zither. It seems so unimportant. But at least he's smiling gently, though perhaps she's the only one in close enough proximity to notice that the expression feels just a tiny bit forced. And she's impelled by another instinct--the need to keep that smile on this face.

"Yes, Mr. Pourtash," she says softly, more so than intended. She strengthens her voice. "Of course I would be glad to show you the zither, if it is truly of interest."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"It is. The way you described it sounds fascinating," Pourtash assures Kylah. It almost makes him wish he could play an instrument, just so he could appreciate it better. Just like calculating data or piloting a ship, he always did find it more pleasurable to truly experience something by direct manipulation.

He goes quiet again to listen attentively to Collins' plan for the team. It sounds logical enough and he sees nothing to add commentary to, though he's somewhat curious if she might have plans she hasn't mentioned. She'd been so interested in Sakathian history with other races before. Of course, having nothing to ask about or suggest now doesn't mean it won't come up later. He's still a bit concerned about that, as he knows he and Collins don't always agree. He raises his mug of tea and echoes her sentiment.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods to Pourtash and turns away again, relieved that the newcomer, Collins's friend Cooper, is breaking the atmosphere she's been feeling and adding some needed levity. Then Collins gives them their run-down of the mission -- skills in diplomacy, that almost makes Kylah laugh -- and it's time to perform the Earth-based drinking ceremony. She lifts the glass in front of her. If there was one thing she learned at the Academy, it's that humans certainly do love their drinking ceremonies.

Toast completed, she drinks and sets the glass back down, looking at the miniature waves in the clear water. As excited as she's been about the mission, she can't shake the little undercurrent that's now buzzing through her: fear.
    Last edited by choie; 06 Jun 2012 at 06:06 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var does not have a glass to raise, so she stands. "A toast to our mission leader," she says. "And, of course, to Starfleet."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"To Starfleet" Collins chimes in, hurrying to bypass the as yet unwarranted salute.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The rest of the dinner is very pleasant, as you each get to know the others a bit better, and discuss the mission ahead. Cooper doesn't stay for coffee or tea and is the first to leave, giving Collins a peck on the cheek and whispering, "We should talk more sometime soon." He doesn't respond to her comm messages for the next two days, however.

The Yorktown finally approaches the Sakathian system. As the starship crosses the orbit of the outermost planet, Singh is in the big chair at the center of the Bridge, Kylah is at the Communications console, Pourtash is at the Helm, Collins is at Security, Delaney is at Engineering, and T'Var is at Life Sciences. Lt. JG Bennett is at Navigation and Lt. JG Gral, the Tellarite botanist, is at Sciences.

The Captain turns slightly in her chair and says to Kylah, "Hail the research station."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heartbeat thrumming, Kylah follows her captain's orders. "Aye sir. Channel open."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is too excited about the mission to worry too much about Cooper, she just assumes he was overwhelmed by meeting everyone at once. And that other matter can wait until the mission is over, she tells herself.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash is quite pleased to be at the Helm as they approach. He imagines his duties will be fairly routine, but the chance to be on the Bridge when something exciting is happening is always a chance to be relished.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney is checking his sensors and ensure all is green to go.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var checks each panel at Life Sciences. She is calm and ready for this mission.

Of course, Dr. Waite is at the back of her mind. They have not seen each other in years. Medical school seems such a distant memory now. She is certain they will be able to work together -- despite whatever issues might remain from their past.

Registered
    Sep 2009

All of your consoles show the ship's condition is excellent. On the Bridge's main viewscreen, you see the research station grow larger: a long, thin structure of spindly pale-yellow metal, with several domes of varying sizes clinging to it. Collins and Delaney note from Gral's preliminary scan that it's about twice the length of your ship, but of considerably less mass. Two small spacecraft share an orbit with the station. The sunlit arc of Sakath V is just beyond.

Kylah soon has a response to her hail. "Incoming transmission from the station, Captain," she reports.

"Thank you, Mr. Kylah. Onscreen."

The starfield and station disappear, replaced by a woman in a severe, dark red jacket. She has grayish skin just like those Sakathians shown in Ens. Hayes's briefing. She says, "USS Yorktown, this is Director Yinitril Geb of the Sakathian Science Directorate. Welcome to our star system. We are glad to have you here. You are right on time." Her accent is curiously clipped and she does not smile. "Am I addressing Capt. S.P. Singh?"

"You are, and thank you, Director Geb," the Captain replies. "We're looking forward to our visit. Is Dr. Waite with you?"

Geb gestures to her side. Dr. Henry Waite, the biochemist, steps into view. He is a dapper, middle-aged man with a neat Van Dyke beard. Dr. T'Var, who is not within his field of view, sees that, other than some white hair at his temples and in his beard, he is much as she remembered him. He says, "Captain Singh, you are indeed most welcome. I hope your trip went well?"

"It did, thank you. We have the life forms you requested, big and small, as well as all the various supplies."

He grins. "Excellent. I can't tell you how much we've all anticipated your visit. You should have the coordinates for your parking orbit now."

Kylah sees the coordinates arrive in a subspace message from the station, and routes the data to the Helm. Pourtash sees it, and nods to Singh, who says, "Yes, we have it, and will up take our position now. See to it, if you please, Mr. Pourtash."

"Aye, Captain," he says, snapping the switches that put the Federation heavy cruiser into a synchronous orbit just 20 km from the station. "Orbit established."

"We are ready for the transfer of cargo, living and otherwise, whenever you are, Capt. Singh," Geb says, stepping back into view.

"No social call first?" Gral mutters to Kylah. "This lady is all business...."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 13 Jun 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Henry looks well, T'Var thinks to herself. She remembers that grin -- which always seemed to annoy her for some reason.

T'Var wonders what his life is like now. Is he married? Does he have children? Is he happy?

Registered
    Mar 2009

On the Captain's order, Pourtash brings the ship into the synchronous orbit. He's rather curious about the research station itself.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Despite her strong mental controls, T'Var finds herself experiencing an unexpected mix of emotions upon seeing Waite again. It is... somewhat unsettling.

Pourtash double-checks his readings and sees that the Yorktown could, if undisturbed, remain in orbit here for decades, if not longer. He can scan the station or anything else in near space, if he wishes, from the Helm.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins does a cursory scan of the two small crafts to determine their capabilities

Registered
    Sep 2009

They appear to be interplanetary transports, not warp capable, of a level of technology several decades old by Federation standards. Each is virtually identical to the other, with a likely crew of five and passenger capacity of twenty or so. Serviceable but hardly sophisticated.

Registered
    Feb 2009

More out of curiosity than anything else, Collins scans for Zheng Rays.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

As T'Var monitors her Life Sciences console, she realizes that it will be good to see Dr. Waite again. Perhaps they can resolve some of the issues left between them while she is here.

Of course, duty comes first. If there is time....

Closed thread