Closed thread
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins suggests to Hayes that, once they are in the research station, she attempt to "finesse" the Sakathians into revealing more of their archeological history. "Your knowledge and background make you the best choice for diplomatic negotiations."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Apr 2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Slight correction at anyrose's request.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var will find a quiet place aboard ship to meditate and calm her troubled mind.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes chuckles. "I will do my best," she tells Collins. "I haven't had a chance to use my diplomatic muscles in a while."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah watches the others leave, focusing more on Dr. T'Var and wishing she hadn't been distracted earlier by the Captain's announcement. Privacy, Kylah, her mother's chastizing words ring in her head. It is sacrosanct. You'll not be admired for breaching others' privacy, no matter how well-intentioned--or accidental--you claim the act to be.

She lags behind and overhears Hayes and Collins, quiet as their discussion has been. Every instinct tells her to volunteer, knowing how useful she could be in their mini-plot, but again, she remembers her mother's words and decides its best to avoid Collins altogether and explore the ship. Straightening her posture, she strides from the room with all the appearance of confidence--though frankly she has no idea where she's headed.

As she walks, she finds herself wishing she hadn't reacted so harshly to Delaney; she also wishes that she'd asked Pourtash if she could visit the Bridge during his watch.

And, for the final in her trinity of regrets: she also wishes she'd returned Pourtash's smile. She'd been so surprised by it that she'd let it pass without reciprocating.

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Var finds an empty observation lounge in the dorsal connection between the primary and secondary hulls, locks the door, and settles in.

Kylah hears a bosun's whistle sound as she walks down the corridor on Deck 2. A man's voice says, "Ens. Kylah, please report to the Bridge."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Apr 2012 at 10:04 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The combination of her name with "the Bridge" sends an immediate jolt of electricity through Kylah's body, and she gasps in delight--then turns around to make sure no one heard her. Relieved, and keeping her face more solemn, she hurries to find her way to the turbolift that will take her to Deck 1.

The doors open up and suddenly--here it is. The Yorktown's nerve center. Kylah just stares at everything, drinking it all in. Her first time on a Constitution Class Bridge--aside from the sims back at the Academy, but those had been mere models. This is... this is entirely different. There's life here, and power, and purpose, and activity, and... did she mention power? Her gaze falls on the Captain's chair. Yes, she vows. I'll be sitting there one day. I must.

But for now, she isn't even certain to whom she should report. So she pauses where she is, looking around in hopes of finding the person who'd had her paged without having to ask.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash makes a mental note to speak to someone about the doogh. He doubts he'll have time that day, but soon. Yoghurt based beverages and dishes are too common an element in the Persian diet for him to be satisfied without at least one such thing done right.

Not long after he's reported to the Bridge to relieve Lt. Vaudreuil, Kylah has arrived to answer her page as well. He glances towards her, catching that gleam in her eye when she looks at the Captain's chair. Something about that drive and hunger for power reminds him a bit of his mother, someone he had admired and striven to be like for most of his life.

Hopefully for her sake that's all they have in common, Pourtash thinks, before pushing those depressing thoughts aside.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Still uncertain, Kylah swallows back her nervous excitement and strides up to Lt. Pourtash, who appears to be acting Command Duty Officer.

"Ensign Kylah reporting for duty, sir," she says, keeping her voice low and firm.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vaudreuil yields the big chair to Pourtash with a smile and a slight bow. He reports, "Welcome, Mr. Pourtash. I stand relieved. Things have been quiet. We're on course for Sakath V at a steady Warp 6. There was a slight turbolift malfunction on Deck 14 about half an hour ago. The car just stopped and the doors wouldn't open for Lt. Mille and Ens. Mahmoud, but they were able to use the emergency override to get out after a few minutes. It's been taken out of service for repairs; a backup turbolift car is now in circulation. Unless there's something else...? Then the Bridge is yours." He leaves.

When Kylah arrives a minute or two later, someone else speaks up before Pourtash. "It was actually I who paged you, Ensign," says a young Andorian male, turning from the Communications post. He is tall and wiry, with pale blue skin and knobby antennae poking through his unruly silver-white hair. "I'm Lt. Thalen, the Communications Officer. I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to welcome you aboard before; I've been very busy lately." He turns to Pourtash. "With your permission, sir, I will familiarize the Ensign with our Comm protocols and Bridge ops." Although Thalen technically outranks Pourtash, the Persian man is BCDO and thus in charge on the Bridge at the moment.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Apr 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var breathes deeply in and out. She lets her concentration focus on her breath. T'Var then creates a mental image of the hot, arid desert of Vulcan. She feels the heat on her skin. She lets the warmth engulf her senses.

Images from her past flow in and out with each breath. T'Var feels the anger and hurt rise up from deep within her. She lets these emotions come as they will.

T'Var creates a mental shield that surrounds her mind from these unwanted emotions. The shield pushes the anger and hurt away. Her mind calms a bit. Her breathing deepens. She is at peace....

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney checks over his to do list. Realizes he better review the preventive maintence work before the away duty begins and pulls a random set of records from the computer and contacts the appropriate personnel. He begins with the check on the Engineering console on the bridge and asks the tech that did the work to join him.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah waits for Pourtash to give permission to Lt. Thalen, barely curtailing her desire to bounce anxiously on her toes. She knows he'll grant the request; it doesn't take a mind-reader to know that there's no reason not to, and besides, Pourtash seems extremely reasonable. He's just about the only person she's met on board so far who hasn't treated her like a first year cadet, with either condescension or advice she didn't need--even though in T'Var's case, it was given with the best of intentions.

She blurts out: "Thank you, Lt. Thalen, I'm most anxious and ready to begin my dut--to begin learning my duties," she amends tactfully, sensing the hint of irritation from her superior at her presumption.

In fact, her own mind is already on the upcoming mission, and though it's certainly necessary to become familiar with the starship's communications procedures, the truth is, Kylah already knows them. She's spent endless time on sims and late night studying the Yorktown's schematics upon learning of her assignment here. By now, going to the comm station will be like returning to her comfortable old desk in the royal family's private schoolroom, where she knew every notch, every scratchmark, every impatiently-drawn doodle kept hidden from her uptight tutor.

The mission, though... Her first chance to meet a truly new culture, to learn and decode a new language... What will she find there? How can she make her mark? What might she discover that will show how useful she'll be to Starfleet and the Federation. And... and of course, Elas.

Aldaan, her guardian, spoke to her before she made her final goodbyes from her siblings on her last visit home post-graduation; he reminded her of the burden of responsibilities she owed to Elas. She'd reminded him flatly that her responsibilities and allegience have been pledged to the Federation now. His hand on her shoulder had squeezed tightly in annoyance, but he nodded with patently false agreement. "Nevertheless, anything you learn that could be of use to us, you'll bring back to me. As long as it does not contradict your loyalty to our new brethren in the sacred Federation," he added with his own dry sarcasm. But as always, she knew what his true feelings were. And he knew she knew--what was the point of his obsequious words? Ah yes. The servants, her siblings, and a few of her guardian's fellow diplomats were there too. One must put on a good show.

But her guardian and his manipulative ways are far away now, and she can ignore his unspoken commands. Or at least try to. You are here now, she reminds herself, finding some comfort in Pourtash's pleasant, open face and demeanor. Aldaan is not.
    Last edited by choie; 24 Apr 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins arranges to meet Ensign Cooper for lunch. She picks as secluded a table as is available in the Mess and waits for him. "He'll be thrilled for me, I know" she thinks, "I just need to talk out my fears with someone not involved in the mission."

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Var's meditation goes well. She remembers that she can adjust the climate in the room to make it much hotter and drier, if she wishes.

Crewman T'Pas, a Command Subsystems technician, promptly reports to the Yorktown's Bridge at Delaney's request. The Vulcan female explains the PM work she's done on the Engineering console there, just to the left of the turbolift doors as you enter the Bridge. Delaney is pleased to see that everything is shipshape.

Pourtash says, "Of course, Mr. Thalen. Carry on." He settles back in the big chair, enjoying the feel of it once more, and takes an offered data tablet with a sensor calibration update from a yeoman in Sciences blue.

Thalen shakes Kylah's hand and says, "Please, have a seat. How are you finding the ship so far?"

Cooper is happy to meet Collins for lunch, and gives her a kiss as they take their seats. "What's up, Jeremi? You look like the gedden that ate the Rigellian canary."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Apr 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash smiles a bit wryly at Vaudreuil's greeting. He makes a mental note regarding that turbolift car, in case any new malfunctions come up. It sounds fairly minor, though. He's hoping everything is as gloriously uneventful for him. "No, nothing else. Thank you."

Once Pourtash is settled in, he'll listen to Lt. Thalen's explanation regarding paging Ens. Kylah. "Of course, Mr. Thalen. Carry on." It still strikes him as a little strange to do that, as BCDO. It feels good and eventually captaining his own ship is his ultimate goal, but he still hasn't entirely settled into the idea that he's gotten as far as he has. It always feels just a touch presumptous at first.

That Kylah is eager to begin seems obvious enough and he glances towards her again, giving her a small nod of acknowledgment. It occurs to him that he really knows very little about her, beyond the snippets of information from before the meeting. In temperament, it seems as though she and Collins would be likely prone to clashing, based on what he knows of the Assistant Chief of Security and what little he's seen of Kylah's dramatically shifting moods. Then again, when he'd first met Delaney he'd been deeply worried about them possibly sharing a cabin, as they were both so different in their outward behavior. Since then, he's come to respect and like Delaney, placing great value in his breathless bursts of thought. Maybe Collins and Kylah will similarly work well together.

He then turns his attention back to his duties, accepting the offered data tablet.
    Last edited by Zuul; 24 Apr 2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Amended, missed the post before.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah sits and her greedy gaze fairly swallows up all the sensors and buttons that surround her. She almost doesn't hear Thalen's question, but after an internal pinch she offers a belated: "It is a beautiful ship, sir, and the crew seem extraordinarily competent. I like it very well indeed."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeoman Peters waits patiently as Pourtash reviews the sensor calibration report. It doesn't take long, as Lt. Cmdr. Roble has already signed off on it, and there appear to be no problems. Pourtash takes the stylus, signs his approval as BCDO, and nods in thanks to Peters. She smiles, takes the tablet and leaves. Pourtash is slightly distracted by her curves as she moves away, and forces his attention to the main viewscreen, on which the stars are steadily streaming past. Ens. Horst Leventhal is at the Helm, to his left, and Ens. Luisa Guzman is at Nav, to his right.

"Good," Thalen says to Kylah. "I know it can be hard coming aboard a new ship, especially fresh out of the Academy. But the Yorktown is a good posting, and I hope you find it to your liking. I'm head of the Lyceum, by the way, so if there's anything about Elasian culture - music, drama, comedy, poetry, whatever - that you'd like to share, I'd be glad to arrange for a performance. As to the Comm panel, I'm sure you know your way around already...?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash rather hopes his temporary distraction wasn't noticed by anyone else. Yeoman Peters is quite lovely--he's surprised he hadn't noticed her beauty before and wonders if she might be among the recent transfers or if he was just particularly unobservant--but there are better things for him to be seen looking at currently. Of course, he thinks to himself, there's no shame in being a young man with eyes.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods her gratitude and finally tears her gaze from the panel. "Yes, sir, I've been studying Constitution-class ships and particularly their communication stations every free moment I've had since joining the Academy. And even more particularly, the Yorktown, ever since my--ever since I learned of my posting." She feels her face burn and to hide it she looks back at the station.

She can't believe she nearly mentioned Aldaan. Slips of the tongue like that display an egregious lack of control. She was supposed to have learned of her assignment the same way everyone else did--not through her guardian's diplomatic machinations.

"I... I play a zither, an Elasian zither," she continues much more casually, changing the subject. "I would not think myself ready to perform on my own, but... if there are any ensembles that might have need of such an instrument, I would consider it an honor to audition."

As she looks up, she notices the direction of Pourtash's gaze, and glances to see what has him so enthralled. Oh. She quickly swivels back to face Thalen, a bit irritable for no reason in particular. "Do you play, sir?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Apr 2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Ital added for Constitution

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Good job T'Pas. Carry on." Delaney says after the check. He then spends a bit of time checking the Engineering console.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I'm a little apprehensive, is all," Jeremi tells Ben as they eat, "I've been put in charge of the landing party for the Sakathian mission. But I've seen what the stress of command can do to a young officer." She pauses to sip some coffee. "I have worked with most of the team before, we all came aboard at the same time. Except Ensign Kylah. She's Elasian and very cold. At first I thought she was just conceited but now I don't know. I'm a little worried she won't take orders from me. We did not get off to a good start."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var returns to Sickbay -- a place where her duties provide a strong sense of peace and balance.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeoman Melissa Peters is in her mid-twenties, petite and attractive, with thick chestnut hair. Pourtash hasn't really noticed her before, but she's not on the Yorktown's Bridge all that often.

Thalen tells Kylah, "I'd certainly like to hear you play sometime. I can sing a little, and I like to paint when I have time, but I'm not especially good at either. I'm better at appreciating others' talents than expressing my own, to be blunt." He shrugs. "Well, Ensign, to business. Have a seat, and explain the Communications station's functions to me, please." Kylah sits down and, after a deep breath, begins telling the Andorian officer all she knows about subspace communications, internal communications, backup systems, encryption, emergency overrides, recorder marker buoys, the universal translator and log archiving. Her hands touch each switch and button as she briefly describes their functions. Thalen, resting one arm on the back of her seat as he leans down, seems impressed. He has an occasional question but otherwise just listens.

T'Pas nods to Delaney and leaves. He continues his work at the Engineering station, giving his attention for awhile to the moment-by-moment warp field variances - all well within acceptable parameters - but also noticing Thalen and Kylah not far away.

Down in the Mess Hall on Deck 8, Ben bursts into a grin and says, "That's fantastic news, Jeremi! You're going to do a great job, I know. I haven't met Kylah but I'm sure you can handle her. She swore the same oath you did; why don't you think she'd follow your orders?"

Dr. T'Var finds things are quiet in Sickbay. She looks at her schedule for tomorrow and sees that she is to conduct five full annual physical examinations, including those of Cmdr. Vargas, Lt. JG Collins, Chief Harrison, Crewman Dodson and Crewman Sinclair. As she calls up their medical records for review, she notices Dr. Helen Noel ushering a pale, shaken-looking young man in Command yellow out of her office.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var waits until the young man has left Sickbay, then asks Dr. Noel if there is anything she can do for this young man from her medical standpoint.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins sighs "Okay, Ben, here's my big, deep, dark secret. Inside, I'm really just an insecure 13 year old who believes everyone is out to get her. Grown-up-me is constantly battling her, even though I did well at the Academy, well enough to be assigned aboard the Enterprise, even though I've been studying command logs and manuals since coming aboard, even though," she pauses, no, she thinks, this is not the time to bring that up, "even though I know my job, sometimes that 13 year old wins."
    Last edited by anyrose; 28 Apr 2012 at 08:21 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

After reciting every protocol and every possible usage of each command button and switch on the communications panel--including a few unconventional combinations that Kylah hopes impressed Lt. Thalen--she falls quiet at last. She flickers a glance at Delaney to her right, who seems to have been paying attention to her recitation as well, and then just as quickly turns away from him.

"Is that satisfactory, sir?" she asks Thalen, though the direction of her gaze probably makes it seem as if she's aiming the question to the panel itself.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Noel seems a little distracted, but sighs, smiles wearily to T'Var and says, "No, thank you, T'Var. Just some issues he needs to work through. We're making progress, but sometimes... well, it feels like it's three steps forward and two steps back." T'Var does not recognize the patient.

Cooper raises an eyebrow and says, "You keep that 13-year-old pretty well concealed, Jer. I'm glad you told me, but really, you're doing well here and I know you'll continue doing so. You're big enough to handle whatever the Universe might throw at you." He takes her hand. "Any plans for tonight?"

Thalen nods to Kylah. "Well done, Ensign! Very well done indeed. I'm putting you on the duty roster. You'll stand your first Bridge watch tomorrow at 0800, if you feel up to it."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"The medical profession has always been like that," T'Var says, allowing herself a bit of a sigh as well. "And I believe it always will be."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi smiles and squeezes Ben's hand. "I do, now"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash continues with his duties on Bridge, which so far have been as routine as he'd hoped they might be. He does overhear that Kylah will be assigned her first Bridge Watch tomorrow. Good for her, he thinks in passing. It's always good to see someone succeeding.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Noel nods to T'Var. "How right you are! Sometimes I think every psychiatrist should be required to write that a hundred times or so before certification."

Ben squeezes back, and grins. "Well, what are we waiting for, then?"

Pourtash watches the stars stream past on the viewscreen as the Yorktown tirelessly makes her way towards Sakath V. It's a quiet watch, all in all. Lt. Cmdr. Roble relieves him, right on time, at the end of it.

The chronometers silently turn over to 2000 hours, and with that, shipboard "night" has arrived.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi suggests they try her cabin tonight. "I think Ensign Kylah may be elsewhere. And if she isn't, I know a quiet area in the cargo bay."
    Last edited by anyrose; 02 May 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash heads for the Mess to get something to eat before he turns in for the night, something a bit heartier than a dairy beverage alone. A simple bowl of stew with rice and a cup of chai seems filling enough. He'll settle in to eat, idly taking note of those around him.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Nerves afire with anticipatory excitement, Kylah heads back to her quarters just in time to spot her new roommate and a handsome man entering. She stops in the hallway and scowls at the room. Damn it. She hoped to do a little more studying just to make certain she's absolutely ready for tomorrow's assignment.

The way Collins and her... friend... looked and acted together made it clear to Kylah they're more than mere colleagues. Unprofessional, she thinks with a lift of her chin. Shipboard romances ought to be discouraged. Kylah knows that if inclined, she could make a man turn mad with desire for her--it's part of all Elasian women's biology. A few tears, a well-timed embrace, and voila: instant romantic intoxication.

But what is the point? It all seems so useless and distracting to Kylah. Not to mention somewhat unfair to the man. Not that Kylah should judge other Elasian women, especially considering her own behavior and skills could (and have) been seen in an unflattering light. Still. Unlike Collins and her--well, whatever that attractive man is to Collins-- Kylah has no intention to treat the Yorktown as some sort of assignation hub.

The longer she stands at the door, the more uncomfortable she grows, and soon she's walking very quickly indeed, red-faced, until eventually she finds the Mess. Of course there's no Elasian fare yet--she being the first one in Starfleet, as far as she knows. Still, they might have programmed some in after Dohlman Elaan's visit, Kylah thinks crabbily. She settles for some sort of boiled wheat-and fermented dairy-based dish called "Macraoni and Cheese" that doesn't seem too repulsive, then takes her tray and turns around. No one notices her, no one calls her over. Not surprising. Then she spots the familiar face of Lt. Pourtash. Would it be too presumptuous to greet him? He was temporarily acting captain today, and obviously ahead of her in the ship's hierarchy. Still... she remembers his smiles, and friendly, encouraging nods, and... Oh, stop wavering and just try and see.

She stops by his table. "Good evening, Mr. Pourtash," she says abruptly when he doesn't look up from his indecipherable food. "May I--may I be seated?"
    Last edited by choie; 03 May 2012 at 01:59 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var notices with a bit of irritation that her Vulcan stomach is growling. She heads to the Mess Hall for something to eat. Addicted to human food, T'Var chooses a plate of baked chicken and mashed potato with brown gravy. And, of course, a cup of Vulcan Spice Tea -- her favorite beverage.

She notices Kylah and Pourtash, then walks over to them.

"May I join you?" T'Var asks.
    Last edited by WES; 03 May 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins and Cooper don't notice Kylah as they go into Collins's quarters and lock the door. They soon forget about everything in the Universe except each other.

"What are you three up to?" Dr. Giancarlo Bucci says, walking over to the table a few seconds after Dr. T'Var. He jokes, "Some sort of nefarious scheme, I'm sure. Mind if I sit down, too?" The plump Italian physician's Mess Hall tray is piled high with pasta and garlic bread. He also has a large glass of red wine.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash glances up when he hears Kylah, somewhat surprised that she approached him. "Oh, yes. Please! I was hoping to get a chance to talk with you more. I'm not the best at figuring out when I should approach someone, though." He pauses, then adds wryly, "Particularly when I don't know them well."

He's never been particularly well at making new friends, he reflects. Arrogance and a touch of standoffishness had been his primary problem before, and though a few events shook some of that arrogance out of him they also replaced it with far more concern over what people thought. Some guilt over his own confused thoughts on his mother and what he believed was likely largely responsible for that.

Pourtash smiles and nods to Dr. T'Var and Dr. Bucci both, gesturing for them to sit. The growing crowd at his table is more than welcome.

"Congratulations on impressing Thalen today," he offers to Kylah. "I'd thought you would. You seem quite confident in your abilities."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var sits and begins cutting up her chicken as she listens to the table conversation.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Relieved to be invited, Kylah sits. There seemed to have been some delay in Pourtash's response, but apparently it wasn't due to reluctance to socialize with her.

Before either can speak, Dr. T'Var arrives and is invited to sit, soon followed by a large, robust man wearing science blue. His plate seems to weigh nearly as much as he does. As usual, Kylah makes a quick judgment of the stranger, despite the many remonstrations she's received from her parents over the years for doing just that. Gregarious. Friendly--almost forcibly so. Seems very important for him to join us. Why?

Pourtash's compliment recaptures her attention, and she bows her head. "Your praise does me great honor, sir," she says, following the standard protocol for formal intercourse on Elas--though usually such humble remarks would be said to a member of the royal family, not by one. Then, bobbing her head back up, a burst of honesty follows: "This was not the path I thought I'd follow, but having joined the Academy I took every opportunity to learn and excel in this field."

She hesitates while stabbing a forkful of macaroni, looking at it dubiously before returning her gaze to Pourtash. "You too seemed highly capable in the Captain's chair. Have you spent many hours on Bridge duty in this capacity?"
    Last edited by choie; 03 May 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"A little here and there. I'm still getting used to it, to be honest. My goal is to captain my own ship, so every time I find myself in that chair I wonder if it's a dream." Pourtash grins at Kylah to indicate it's only a joke. There is still that moment of awe when he considers the trust bestowed in him. True, many others have that same trust, but he still values it deeply.

That thought makes him think on Collins briefly, wondering if she feels the same way about leading the party. She'd looked understandably proud.

"I got the impression your goals might mirror mine," he adds casually. He'd seen that gleam in Kylah's eyes, after all.

He takes a sip of his chai, then looks to the two medical officers. "And how have you been? I haven't had much of a chance to speak with you recently, T'Var."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am well, Mr. Pourtash," T'Var replies. "Of course, my duties in Sickbay keep me quite busy."

T'Var smells the garlic bread on Bucci's plate and frowns. "An interesting choice of nourishment, Doctor," she says.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Would you like a taste?" Bucci asks at once, holding a piece towards her. "Garlic bread. An old favorite of mine. It's not bad. Not as good as you can get in Italy, but not bad."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 May 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var wrinkles her nose, then shakes her head in the negative. "Perhaps another time," she says.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Yes, I imagine your duties, do," Pourtash agrees, nodding slightly as T'Var answers his question. He does look somewhat curiously when he notices what she's eating after Bucci's offer of the garlic bread.

"You're not a vegetarian?" He sounds a bit uncertain as he asks that, as he doesn't know whether or not it would be deemed an intrusive question to ask a Vulcan. He'd only had limited interaction with them before being assigned to the Yorktown.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"No," T'Var says. "I am not."

The doctor takes a bite of her chicken. "I enjoy all forms of typical human food."

T'Var takes another bite or two of the chicken. "I have also discovered that gravy adds to the flavor of most human foods." T'Var scoops of a spoonful of mashed potato and gravy. "Quite tasty."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks longingly at the chicken. If it were on her plate, she would be fighting the instinct to tear into that meat the way nature intended -- not the neat, precise way T'Var is cutting and eating her meal. But since their alliance with Troylius, Elasians in public now show respect for their former Dohlman's sacrifice by emulating the dainty, foppish behavior Her Glory learned to endure in order to be 'acceptable' as queen of Troylius. Even though it still seems ridiculously inefficient to use metal instruments to emulate what the teeth and fingers could do so easily.

This internal struggle is why Kylah chose this mushy (yet, she must admit to herself after a few bites, very tasty) food. Even before the alliance, Elasians used a utensil similar to spoons for such fare.

She's learned a lot at the Academy, and no doubt serving aboard the ship will teach her even more. Her cousin is the new Dohlman, so elected by the Council of Nobles. Her past on Elas seems very, very distant now.

So, though by Elasian custom everyone should be introducing themselves to her, not to mention begging her pardon for not kneeling, Kylah forces herself to turn to the large man seated beside her. "We have not yet met," she says abruptly, again forgetting to add the customary 'sir'. "I am Ensign Kylah, from Elas. You are a colleague of Dr. T'Var's?"
    Last edited by choie; 06 May 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"That's lucky for you, then. I imagine human food is done better on board here than that of any other cultures." Pourtash takes another bite of his stew, musing on that for a moment. "Though some human cultures get their food better than others. I've always enjoyed trying new things, but I haven't really found anything I like more for every day eating than what I grew up with." Using his spoon, he gestures at the stew. It's not quite what he might have had at home, but satisfying enough.

T'Var's commentary on gravy makes him grin, reminding him briefly of his family. They've been on his mind quite a bit lately. "My little sister Parveen decided that chocolate pudding and chicken go perfectly together. She's yet to get anyone else to try it, as far as I know."

Pourtash is quiet while Kylah introduces herself to Dr. Bucci, though his face reflects his surprise when she says that she's from Elas. She hadn't said that when he first introduced himself to her and he'd assumed she was human, possibly even with some Middle Eastern ancestry with her coloring and features. While he's read that Elasians do look quite similar to humans--though their males are quite a bit taller--he still feels foolish for his mistake.

"Are you the first Elasian to serve in Starfleet?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Since the other man appears to be too busy stuffing his face to respond, Kylah turns to Pourtash. "Yes, as far as I know. We had not yet formally joined the Federation when I began at the Academy, and it was... not a typical decision for one of my people. We have always been warriors and do not easily adjust to such strict regulations and non--" She stops herself before the word productive leaves her lips, and quickly adjusts: "Non-military missions."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash nods as Kylah talks, looking genuinely interested. Elasians had been known to the UFP for quite some time, but they're fairly new to him, and thus novel and interesting. "I'd done some reading on Elas before, but I'm afraid I only know the barest of essentials. The warrior culture, a little bit of the history, the unusual repro--" No, no, he's almost certain that would be rude.

"I'd be very interested in hearing about your experiences as one of the first of your people in Starfleet, if you'd ever care to talk about them."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks at him without a change in her expression, though she's easily able to intuit his original intended comment. Males, she thinks. Every species, every race, they're just the same. I should weep copious tears and let him have his own experience with Elasians--let him see just how cruelly our love can turn a sane man mad.

Actually, she has yet to produce that particular effect from the infamous Elasian Tears--though certainly her Guardian and some other men have been in contact with her while she wept for one reason or another. She assumes that, as her adoptive mother told her, she's a "late bloomer," as the Terran expression goes.

"Certainly, Mr. Pourtash. I would be glad to talk to you, if you're genuinely interested in learning about my Starfleet experiences," she says, mentally adding: And not just my sexual experiences.

Closed thread