Closed thread
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Default Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

Star Trek: The Yorktown Chronicles

Setup thread: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10960
    Mission #1: "On the Brink": http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...the-Brink-quot

It is December 3, 2269.

Capt. James T. Kirk and the starship Enterprise completed their historic, and soon to be legendary, five-year mission not long ago.

The United Federation of Planets is strong, expanding, and prosperous. Some fifty worlds are now represented in the Federation Council, united in their commitment to peace, democracy, trade and mutual protection. The Federation’s longtime rivals, the Klingons and Romulans, are now loosely allied, but to date have not mounted a major, concerted challenge to Federation interests in the quadrant.

Starfleet, the Federation’s exploratory, scientific and military arm, has grown in the past few years. Twenty Constitution-class heavy cruisers remain its backbone, but a host of other vessels – light cruisers, destroyers, scouts, couriers, tugs, research and other specialized craft – have more than tripled the size of the Fleet. Starbase 42, recently established, demonstrates Starfleet’s commitment to extending its reach to every corner of the Galaxy unclaimed by others or granted to the Federation by treaty.

It’s a good time to be a Starfleet officer, and those aboard the USS Yorktown often find themselves on the front lines of the major challenges facing the Federation.

So prepare yourself for adventure where no one has gone before….
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Sep 2011 at 10:45 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Captain's Log, Stardate 5992.7. After an uneventful trip from Banij Prime, we're looking in on the agricultural colony of Demeter, and have taken on supplies, including some much-welcome fresh food. Our new assistant chief medical officer, Dr. T'Var, has just come aboard, and seems to be settling in well.

Captain's Log, supplemental. The
    Yorktown has been ordered to begin anti-piracy patrols along the fringes of the Orion sector. Two merchant ships have gone missing in recent months, and we're to see that it doesn't happen again. However, Starfleet Command has convened a board of inquiry into my intervention in the Banij fusion war, to determine if I violated the Prime Directive. All senior officers other than Lt. Cmdr. Roble have been ordered to accompany me by shuttle to Starbase 37 and offer their testimony. I have, accordingly, left Mr. Roble in command in my absence. He is an excellent officer and I have the utmost confidence in him.

Ship's Log, Stardate 5994.1, Science Officer Roble recording. Capt. Singh and the other senior officers have been gone for four days but fortunately we've had an uneventful patrol so far. All of our assistant department chiefs continue to work on their Bridge Command Duty Officer certification, and several are quite close to completing it.

You wake in your quarters on the morning of the fifth day since the Captain and her colleagues left. What would you like to do?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Sep 2011 at 11:27 PM.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi heads to the Mess to meet Ben for breakfast. She really enjoys spending time with the Ensign, and feels as though their friendship is turning into a romance. Collins realizes that this may be counterproductive to her career, but she is willing to take that risk.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash will seek out Ens. Rangin to see if he'd have the time to catch up about their mutual service on board the Lexington, since he hasn't had the chance to welcome him aboard yet. Pourtash will suggest they chat at some point when they're both free.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro goes to the mess for a light breakfast before heading to the lab. Her latest side project is trying to tune long range sensors to detect the Zheng radiation profile of ships similar to the one recently captured at Banij, without compromising the sensors' regular functions. There's got to be more than one of them out there.

She'll sit wherever there's an open seat, with an eye to find to someone she hasn't talked to lately. With the large interest in her tea classes, that is easier said then done.

Along that front, she's declined Cheverez's offer to replicate her tea, at least for now. It's rather difficult to get the natural variation of the organic volatiles exactly right. She does ask about making some kimonos; she only has her own, but others may enjoy wearing one. How good is synthsilk these days? Multiple sets of thin ceramic tableware would also help set the mood.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Lt. JG Delaney asks the other newer crewmembers about forming a study group for the bridge quals. "I know I need help with Nav especially."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Sep 2011 at 08:48 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var enters the mess hall. She plans to eat a light breakfast. Her meditation session went very well. She is relaxed and focused. She looks forward to making friends among the crew and getting used to daily life aboard a starship once again.

T'Var notices Fujishiro and walks over to her. "May I join you?"

After spending a short time on Demeter, exploring the culture there and learning more about herbal medicines, T'Var is ready to "chase the stars" and see where they might lead.
    Last edited by WES; 28 Sep 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Rangin brightens visibly when Pourtash stops him in the corridor. "Of course! It's good to see you again. Maybe we could take a walk in the Arboretum after the evening meal?"
    Last edited by Appleciders; 28 Sep 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"That sounds excellent. I'll see you then and welcome aboard!"

After Pourtash takes his leave of Rangin, he'll cross paths with Delaney. "Hm. A study group? I think that could be very helpful. Yes, I'd like to be part of that."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney, "Excellent, we should try to gather the newer officers. This should be a good team building exercise too. I was a little unsure who I was working with on that ship and it was pretty dicey there for a time."

Registered
    Feb 2009

On her way to the Gym for some cardio, Collins sees Delaney down the corridor. She calls to him to get his attention, then goes to him. "So what's this I hear about a study group? I thought we left that stuff at the Academy."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Never too old to study and I think we all probably need help with the cross-training aspects of Bridge Qual."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. JG Collins probably has little to fear career-wise from a romance with Cooper (unless she starts neglecting her duties). He's not in her department or her chain of command.

Fujishiro does a little research on the Library Computer and learns that there are synthetic silks of pretty good quality which are commercially available, although not on board; cheaper than the real thing, but still not cheap for the high-end product. Thin ceramic tableware can be manufactured aboard ship, or perhaps, for even higher quality stuff, bought on some shore leave.

Lt. Cmdr. Roble, when he learns of it, encourages Delaney and the others to create a study group. "Five or six heads can definitely be better than one," he says. "I might not have first gotten my BCDO certification - longer ago than I care to remember - if it hadn't been for the friends who studied with me."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well, then," Collins asks Delaney, "Got room for one more?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Shall we figure out when we can get together for study?" Pourtash asks. "We might not all be able to meet every time as duty pulls us away, but I'm sure we can arrange it so we can usually all get together."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney builds a quick Gant chart of the off-duty times for all the new officers to determine the most efficient times for 1 or 2 groups. He assumes schedules can be tweaked lightly to accommodate a good cause such as this.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Since I already have my BCDO, just let me know when I might be able to come in to help. Obviously, it won't be necessary for me to be there too much, but I'd like to assist if you need it," Pourtash offers.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Oct 2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Acronym corrected.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fujishiro looks up at T'Var, smiles and says, "Yes, please, sit down! You must be our new doctor. Welcome aboard the Yorktown."

Delaney's Gantt chart includes time for study and discussion of leadership principles, Bridge operations, Command subsystems, Starfleet history, chain of command, personnel selection, as well as various simulations. Pourtash looks it over and thinks the young engineer has made a good start. He agrees that Roble will probably be flexible as to scheduling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantt_chart
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 Oct 2011 at 10:50 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var sits down with her Vulcan spice tea. "I've heard that you are preparing classes of some kind regarding tea rituals? I would enjoy participating if there is still room. I find rituals from all cultures quite interesting."

The Vulcan doctor sips her tea slowly. "If there is anything I can do to help you prepare, please let me know."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins finishes her workout and gets dressed for her shift.

Registered
    Mar 2009

All of that worked on, Pourtash will go on to get a quick breakfast, then prepare himself for his shift.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. JG Cecilia Bennett enters the Mess Hall. She sees T'Var and Fujishiro, comes over and asks, "May I join you?" They invite her to sit and the beautiful young Englishwoman says, "Doctor, since my cabinmate has been transferred, I now have a spare bunk. It's yours if you'd like it. I could maybe pull rank and have my own quarters, but I rather prefer to have company."

Collins is ready for her watch; Vargas orders her to take inventory in the Armory and then go on foot patrol in the aft secondary hull.

Pourtash reports to the Bridge and is asked by Roble to recalibrate the Helm console's sensor display. It's a little complicated but he's up to the challenge.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins completes the Armory inventory and files her report. While patrolling, she grumbles to herself "this is punishment for messing up the investigation, I just know it. But he won't break me. I just hope I get a chance to redeem myself soon."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var smiles. She finishes her tea. "I would appreciate the company as well," she says. "Thank you for the offer. I accept."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash settles in to work on the recalibration, welcoming the challenge. For now he'll keep his attention carefully focused on the task at hand to work it out.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins's foot patrol is uneventful, as such patrols almost always are. Dr. T'Var moves in with Lt. JG Bennett and the two find themselves pretty much simpatico (although Bennett is more of a night owl than T'Var). Pourtash's recalibration is completed to the Science Officer's satisfaction.

A day passes.

Ship's Log, supplemental. The official inquiry is complete; Capt. Singh and her party have left Starbase 37 and will rendezvous with the Yorktown in two days in the Theta Raled system. Our anti-piracy patrol continues.

Roble is in the big chair at the center of the Bridge. Pourtash is at the Helm, along with Delaney at the Engineering console, Fujishiro at Sciences I, Rangin at Sciences II, Collins at Security/Tactical, and Dr. T'Var at Life Sciences. Ens. Horst Leventhal is at Navigation, continuing his cross-training from his usual Helm duties, and Lt. JG Ade Soerjosoemarno, a stocky, older Indonesian man, is filling in for Thalen at Communications.

Roble signs a data tablet for an Engineering yeoman, hands it back to her, stretches and says, "I'm going belowdecks for a few minutes. You have the Bridge, Mr. Pourtash."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Oct 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

During the lull, Collins quietly hums theme songs from late 20th Century/early 21st Century television.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var enjoys Bridge Duty. It gives her the opportunity to observe human behavior patterns, a subject she finds quite interesting.

T'Var is pleased with her new cabinmate. She is confident that they will become longtime friends. Her Starfleet friendships mean a great deal to T'Var and she works hard to maintain them.

The doctor would like to start a chess club on board if one does not already exist. T'Var loves the game in all of its many variations. She admires chess masters from Earth's 20th century -- especially the grandmasters from Russia at that time.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney would be please to join a chess club. It is a great way to pass the spare moments of the day.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Rangin also harbors a great love for both flat chess and Tri-D. He'd be thrilled to join, if there's enough interest.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Yes, sir." Pourtash feels a little lightheaded for a moment with worry, but clears his throat and settles himself in. This isn't so bad, he assures himself. No new species shooting at anyone, at least.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Lyceum already has a chess club, which holds weekly tournaments. The reigning shipboard champion is Cmdr. Vargas, although Dr. Bucci, Lt. Devereaux and Lt. JG Gral are also quite good. The club's members tend to play tri-D chess, although there are those who prefer the original Earth game, spherical chess, and even the Vulcan and Rigellian variants.

Pourtash takes the big chair in the center of the Bridge. It is more comfortable than he expected, but he tries not to relax too much.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Keeping an eye on her panel, Jeremi daydreams about Ben.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var very rarely loses a chess match of any kind. She is quite proud of this fact -- at least as proud as a Vulcan can be. T'Var is both gracious and humble in victory and in defeat. She prefers the ancient Earth form of chess for its purity, and in many ways, its simplicity compared to more modern variations of the game. She looks forward to competing against her crewmates. Chess is a stimulating activity and keeps her mind sharp.

The doctor plays out various ancient chess games in her head while keeping an eye on the panels in front of her at Life Sciences.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney is also one that prefers the classic game. He is good but not great. However he has hopes to engage players in Speed Chess. A game where all moves are made in a set short time limit. He excels at this like few others. Especially games of 10 minutes or less.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash knows how to play the classic Earth form, but has never been particularly interested in Chess. Delaney's mention of Speed Chess intrigues him, though. "I'd like to see that demonstrated."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins perks up as Ens. Ben Cooper enters the Bridge and assumes Pourtash's just-vacated post at the Helm. As he does, he winks at her; she doesn't think anyone else noticed.

Pourtash doesn't mind as the Bridge officers chat about chess. But ten minutes pass, and then twenty. Lt. Cmdr. Roble has still not returned when Lt. JG Soerjosoemarno says to Pourtash, "Sir, I'm picking up a very faint subspace transmission on the Federation civilian frequency. I can't quite tell what it is."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Upon hearing what Soerjosoemarno just said, Collins starts adjusting frequencies on her panel to attempt to boost te signal.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney does a quick search on his tech database for techniques to help boost weak or distant signals. He reports as much as he conducts the search.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash sits up a bit straighter at being told of the transmission. Vaguely interesting, but certainly not worthy of troubling anyone else with it yet. "Collins, Delaney, keep us updated on your efforts to boost the signal."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins and Delaney are able to help Soerjosoemarno boost the signal. The Communications officer then says, "It's a distress call, sir."

He touches a control on his console and you hear, through intermittent bursts of static, a faint voice saying, "Mayday, mayday! This is the [static] freighter Hegar's Pride. We [static] under attack by three Orion [static]. We have almost 200 people aboard and can't hold out long. They're [long burst of static] and we need immediate assistance. Mayday! Please help, anyone who hears this...!"

Soerjosoemarno shakes his head in frustration. "I'm sorry, sir. I can't make it any clearer than that."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins checks the sensors to attempt to pinpoint the message's coordinates of origin.

If successful, she then relays that info to the helm. "Course laid in and ready, Lt. Pourtash."
    If not, she continues her scans
    Last edited by anyrose; 12 Oct 2011 at 02:59 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var monitors the readouts at Life Sciences closely. She runs a checklist in her head of emergency medical procedures for situations such as this.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney prepares to provide power to shield and warp engines, once ready he says. "Power is available for Warp Speed and Shields, I believe we need to contact the Captain and the senior officer on board."

Registered
    Mar 2009

If the point of origin for the message can be found, Pourtash will give a brief synopsis of the Hegar's Pride's position when he contacts the senior officer on board--Lt. Cmdr. Roble?--otherwise, he will inform him of what he can and the ship's readiness to proceed. The message wasn't perfectly clear, but it seems likely they were describing an attack by three Orion pirate ships.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The ship's Life Sciences systems are all nominal, T'Var sees.

Delaney notes the same as to the warp drive, impulse drive and deflector shields.

Soerjosoemarno is able to determine that the Mayday transmission is coming from deep space, approximately 22 minutes off the port bow at Warp 8. The Yorktown is currently on an indirect patrol course for the Theta Raled system at Warp 3.

Lt. Cmdr. Roble is indeed the ranking officer aboard at the moment. Pourtash hits the intercom button on the arm of the command chair, and says crisply, "Bridge to Science Officer. Please respond." No response. "Bridge to Lt. Cmdr. Roble, please respond." Still no answer.

Pourtash feels his palms begin to get ever so slightly sweaty.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Oct 2011 at 02:57 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var addresses Pourtash. "With our senior officers not currently on the ship, I suggest we have Security locate Lt. Cmdr. Roble immediately."

The Vulcan doctor pauses a monent.

"I believe a distress call of this nature requires timely action on our part," she says.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Ens. Rangin will try to boost signal strength on sensors, to get a better picture of what's going on near that Mayday transmission.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash drums his fingers, very troubled by the lack of response. "Collins, locate Roble," he orders.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi pounds her panel "Collins to Security Teams. Meet me by Turbolift One on Deck 10 ASAP!" and she dashes off to the Lift.

When she gets there, she organizes the Security Specialists to begin a shipwide/deck by deck search. She takes one of the ensigns and begins on Deck Two.

Closed thread