Closed thread
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am in need of liquid refreshment -- of the alcoholic kind -- myself," Dr. T'Var says. "In my professional opinion, we are all in need of a 'drink or two or five'." T'Var sighs, then smiles. "And perhaps something substantial to eat."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Before you pound down too many brewskis, remember it's not quite 1400 hours, or 2pm, yet.

Fujishiro idly checks her comm account for the ship's schedule for the rest of the day:

1430: T'ai chi class - Main Gym, Deck 8.
    1600: Violin concert, including works of J.S. Bach, A. Vivaldi, X. S'ilurr and M.L. Ridley - Ship's Auditorium, Deck 8.
    1700: Bolian cooking demonstration - Aft Galley, Deck 20.
    1730: Showing of Thoroncir and Gilraen, Sam Amato, dir. (Jackson/New Line Pictures, 2027) - Ship's Auditorium.
    1800: Book club discussion of Ciudad Verde by Isabel Ramirez (Random House, 2213) - Conference Room 6, Deck 7.
    1800: Advanced lifesaving class - Swimming Pool, Deck 8.
    1815: Lecture, "Some vexing problems of Algolian metaphysics" - Conference Room 2, Deck 2.
    1830: Bocce tournament - Main Gym.
    1830: Basics of Shuttlecraft Maintenance class - Shuttle Maintenance, Deck 20.
    1900: Intro to Gymnastics class - Main Gym.
    2000: Showing of Casablanca, Michael Curtiz, dir. (Warner Bros., 1942) - Ship's Auditorium.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05 Dec 2011 at 11:46 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash will only be having a brief stop for lunch and unwinding. He plans to go the Algolian metaphysics lecture and has no intention of going there drunk. If only it didn't conflict with the showing of Thoroncir and Gilraen...

"I know that wasn't even remotely pleasant, but I would like to thank all of you. I was proud to have you in there with me," Pourtash tells the others. It was bad enough as it was. He can't imagine how much worse it could have been if they hadn't all been working so well together.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"To Pourtash" Collins raises her glass. "Anyone want the last hot wing? I'm off to T'ai chi."

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney raises his glass to the toast. Then he says, "I'm off to review a few things."

#1 on his list, is a dozen rides on the lifts he uses most commonly. He is checking for sound and time so he will not be fooled again so easily.

#2 is to review methods of making space mines to strew behind in case of retreat while pursued. We should have such items ready for use.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var burps as discreetly as possible. "Those hot wings are quite 'hot'," she states in typical Vulcan manner. "I have already consumed far too many."

T'Var will head back to her quarters and meditate for a while. She needs to regain her balance. With perhaps a quick stop to Sickbay first for a heartburn remedy.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. Kendin, an Algolian male, talks at some length (and, to Pourtash, rather interestingly) before a Lyceum audience of eight about his culture's love-hate relationship with metaphysics, and the timeless questions of being, existence, knowledge and uncertainty embodied in the Algolian faith tradition of Straln'aak.

Collins enjoys the vigorous t'ai chi class led by Ens. Mary Three Crows and finds herself bruised, flushed but contented by the end. Cooper enters the gym just as the session is ending, and comes over with a smile.

Delaney rides on the turbolift a dozen times and thinks he has a pretty good grasp of its sound and timing. He then checks the Starfleet database for methods of improvising or manufacturing mines. He learns that it is possible but seldom done. Mines are typically not carried by Constitution-class starships, and Starfleet has only a handful of minelayers and minesweepers. In the vastness of space, the weapons are only rarely needed or even practical, but when they are, photon torpedoes are usually set for proximity or timed detonation.

In Sickbay, Dr. Bucci says merrily, "I think you're the first Vulcan I've ever known with heartburn," but after checking the SPDR pharmacopeia - and with her agreement - gives T'Var a small hypospray dose of masinol, which seems to help. She goes to her quarters to find Lt. JG Bennett, her cabinmate, getting dressed. T'Var cannot help but notice that Bennett has a large bruise on her upper arm that she hurriedly covers.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Dec 2011 at 10:36 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney thinks that potential enemies would be looking for torps and start thinking up some innocuous designs that would self destruct after a few hours.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I'm going to hit the sauna for a bit" Jeremi tells Ben, "Do you want to meet up for dinner in about an hour? Then there's a great old 20th Century Earth movie at 2000."
    Last edited by anyrose; 08 Dec 2011 at 01:06 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var says nothing directly about the bruise. She and Bennett are still getting to know one another and asking a direct question about something so personal, would be most unVulcanlike.

"I am preparing to meditate for a while," T'Var says. "I find it relaxing and also helps to clear the mind when dealing with troubling thoughts. Would you care to join me?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney mulls over the possibilities of innocuous mines. Anything in particular?

Cooper grins in response to Collins's invitation. "Dinner and a movie sound good, but what, is it too soon for us to go in the sauna together? I've had a hard day too, you know!"

Bennett says to T'Var, "I've tried meditation before but never really took to it. Maybe I could learn a bit more about it from you. Would we do it right here, or go somewhere else?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi smiles, takes Ben's hand, and heads towards the sauna.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney thinks the best shell for the mines are actual ship debris that looks like parts possibly lost in battle.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash enjoys the lecture immensely. Afterwards, he'll visit the arboretum to give himself some time to relax in relative solitude and deal with the emotions of the day. He's surprised to find he's only mildly nervous about how they did in the test. However they did, it couldn't be any worse than actually having people die and be enslaved. Maybe all he needed was sufficient trauma to find a way to manage his terror of failure or endangering those under his command, he muses.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins and Cooper go to the separate women's and men's changing rooms, get towels and enter the sauna. Chief Nguyen is already in there, and judging by how shrunken and sweaty he looks, he's been there for quite awhile already. He wearily raises his hand in greeting.

Using debris to hide mines has definite possibilities, Delaney thinks. He vaguely recalls reading about a similar trick being used by a Romulan warship not long ago.

Pourtash finds the Arboretum in full flower; the air seems particularly fresh and clean. Several crewmembers are tending private plots of flowers or vegetables.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Vulcan meditation can take a lifetime to master. However, the benefits are worth the effort," T'Var says. "We should probably start with techniques to focus the mind. Breath is an important foundational aspect of these techniques."

T'Var pauses a moment. "Our quarters would be fine -- unless you prefer somewhere else on the ship. We need a peaceful, quiet, private environment."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett looks around and says, "I suppose here would be fine, T'Var. I know some people like the observation lounges for meditation and whatnot."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Then here will be fine to start," T'Var says. "If you have the time now?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins asks "Are you alright, Chief? Don't you think you're overdoing it a little?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Yes," says Bennett. "Let's begin. Should I dim the lights? Light a candle?"

Chief Nguyen smiles weakly and says in Vietnamese-accented Standard, "I do tend to overdo things, ma'am, but I'm fine, thanks." He mops his brow with a spare towel.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Yes, please dim the lights," T'Var says while setting two small white-colored cushions on the floor. She then places a small wooden table between the cushions.

"Vulcans use what is called a 'meditation lamp', though I prefer the use of a real candle and flame." T'Var places a light blue candle with a flat, metal holder on the table.

"Have a seat," she tells Bennett. "In whatever position you find most comfortable." T'Var sits with her legs under her.

T'Var lights the candle. "We breathe slowly and deeply while focusing on the flame as it dances before us," she says softly. "The flame represents fire -- a destructive force of nature. Our minds are like fire at times."

The doctor breathes evenly as she stares at the candle flame. After a few moments, she says, "Fire can also be a helpful friend, bringing warmth and comfort to our lives. Our minds can also be this way."

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro is rather flabbergasted at the discovery of the simulation. She's not as concerned about the testing part (she and her crewmates did as well as possible given the circumstances) as the slight breach of trust required to execute the test.

She'll relax with some tea and then get a good night's sleep.

Registered
    Mar 2009

After his stroll in the Arboretum, Pourtash will return to his quarters to get some sleep, feeling much more settled after a nerve-wracking day.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett follows T'Var's instructions, and seems genuinely interested in learning more about Vulcan meditation.

Ens. Rachel Hayes welcomes Fujishiro back to their shared quarters with a smile. She was reading the latest Solar Post news from Earth on her data tablet, but turns in for the night not long after Fujishiro does.

Pourtash's roomie, Ens. Mikhail Trigorin, is not in their quarters, and does not return by the time the helmsman drifts off to sleep.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 13 Dec 2011 at 12:18 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

After the movie, Collins was going to suggest heading to the Mess for some coffee, but she realizes how late it is. She gives Ben a nice long "goodnight" kiss and heads to her quarters. She enters and gets ready for bed as quietly as possible so as not to wake Ens. Terezis

Registered
    Sep 2009

Casablanca is as wonderful as it's ever been, all these centuries after it was filmed. Afterwards, Collins leaves Cooper with a smile and finds Ens. Terezis already in bed. The young Greek woman sleepily murmurs, "Hi, Jeri, whazzup...?" before drifting off again.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var tells Bennett to focus on the flame and clear her mind of all distractions.

"The flame is all that exists right now," the doctor says. "There is nothing but the flame."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett takes a deep breath, closes her eyes for a moment, and then stares intently at the candle.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins dreams of the "battle" from earlier in the day, but all her shots are on target, the Orion pirate ships are completely disabled, and the passengers and crew of the Hegar's Pride are all safe.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins shifts a little in her bunk, and an ineffably sweet smile crosses her lips. She sleeps on.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var keeps her attention focused on her meditation partner. Humans can find this activity frustrating and a bit uncomfortable. The Vulcan doctor waits to see if Bennett displays any signs of anxiety or if she is relaxing into the meditation and hopefully clearing the clutter from her mind.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett seems to be following right along with her Vulcan mentor and cabinmate. T'Var gets the impression - without using her innate telepathy - that the young Englishwoman is relaxing and becoming calmer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney is enjoying his time designing space mines. He ensures his normal duties are well attended too and puts out feelers to see if anyone is interested in working on the mine design with him.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Euterpe Terezis, Collins's cabinmate, is a Security officer assigned to the Photon Torpedo Launch Bay. She responds to Delaney's shipwide comm (the equivalent of email) invitation and is willing to help. She has a basic engineering background, but knows everything about photon torpedoes specifically, and quite a bit about explosives generally. Engineering Spec/3 Shabana Raza, a metallurgist and shipwright by training, also expresses interest. Although she's from his department, Delaney has not worked directly with the young Pakistani woman before.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 19 Dec 2011 at 09:23 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins awakes feeling refreshed. She dresses for duty, then heads to the Mess for some coffee and a bagel.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var allows herself to focus on the candle flame, relaxing her mind and body. She is still somewhat disturbed by a strong sense that something is wrong aboard the ship.

She attempts to clear her thoughts of this, but cannot do so.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett notices T'Var's expression and says, "Is something wrong?"

anyrose, it's still the night before for What Exit? and WES. Hold off on Collins's new day for the moment, please.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney just fiddles along. Move on as far as I go.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var sighs. She does not know her cabinmate very well, yet feels as if she can share her misgivings with Bennett. Perhaps talking about what is bothering her might help.

"To be honest, I'm disturbed by what happened aboard this ship during your last mission. I cannot 'put a finger on it' -- to use a human phrase -- but I believe something menacing is still endangering the Yorktown and her crew."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett frowns and asks, "What do you mean, 'still'? Since when? I don't have that sense at all."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"With all due respect," T'Var says, "you are not Vulcan." T'Var sighs. "I had a sense of something wrong here from the moment I came aboard. After researching your last mission via the library computer -- and listening to chatter from the crew -- my concern grew."

T'Var blows out the candle, then brings the lights up to full. "Perhaps you could give me your thoughts about the previous mission?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Well, it was a First Contact mission, as you know by now," Bennett says. "We met the Banij and learned a lot about them, and helped avert a war. Pourtash led a boarding party that was able to take control of a hidden ship, the crew of which was apparently interfering in Banij affairs. One of the crew, a human, died in the Brig, and the others, aliens, were sent on to Starfleet. Things went pretty well, all in all, I'd say."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Yes, indeed, certain aspects of the mission did go quite well under the circumstances. Still, an explosive device was planted aboard our vessel and someone died under rather strange conditions," T'Var says.

The doctor shrugs. "I appreciate your input. Perhaps my Vulcan senses are a bit off regarding this."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett says, "No, I see what you mean, there were certainly some strange things about the mission... but nothing that still feels, you know, menacing. Not to me, at least." She smiles. "But then, I've always been optimist at heart."

The two cabinmates talk for awhile longer before turning in. T'Var has the growing sense that she can trust and confide in Bennett.

Shipboard "night" passes uneventfully aboard the Yorktown as she speeds towards Theta Raled.

The next morning, Delaney wakes to the aforementioned comm messages from Terezis and Raza regarding space mines, and you each also have a message from Science Officer Roble, inviting you to join him in the Shuttlebay at 1115 hours to welcome back the Captain and other senior officers.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins awakes feeling refreshed. She dresses for duty, then heads to the Mess for some coffee and a bagel. () She checks the chronometer to make sure she has time to savor the coffee before reporting to duty, and eventually the shuttle bay.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It is now just after 0930. Collins has her coffee and bagel just the way she likes them (although the Yorktown bagels are not quite as good as those she still remembers from her long-ago visits to Eli's, a tiny but time-honored ethnic bakery in Brooklyn).

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. T'Var does not usually eat breakfast. She checks her uniform carefully to make sure all is as it should be. She will stop in to Sickbay for a bit before heading to the shuttlebay.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro smiles at Collins when she sees her in the mess. She's having some rice with pickled vegetables along with a cup of warm water. She's looking forward to the return of the captain.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins holds out a chair for Fujishiro.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney prepares for the meeting with the Captain and company. He contacts those that responded by conference call to start making some work on the space mines.

Closed thread