Closed thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 1549

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #2: "Primum Nil Nocere"

  1. #101
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    Delaney figures it would take, at a bare minimum, at least twenty minutes for the Hegar's Pride's 77 crew and 200 passengers to be beamed over. It would take less time to beam the freighter's warp core out into space, but that would be far trickier, and could still result in casualties. There is nothing, he believes, that the Yorktown could now beam over to the stricken ship to avert a warp core breach.

    Fujishiro notices escape pods beginning to spill from the freighter. One... then another two... and another two. They would be vulnerable to photon torpedo detonations in the vicinity, she knows.

    In light of the Security Alert, Dr. Bucci tells Dr. T'Var to remain on the Bridge until further notice.

    The Orion ships are bearing in. O1 fires its two forward phasers at the Yorktown's bow, striking a glancing blow on the forward shields, which hold steady. The ship shudders just a little. O2 is making a flanking manuever to fire on your starboard side, and O3 has now stopped, Collins notes from long-range scan.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 Nov 2011 at 11:09 PM.

  2. #102
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    "Return fire, sir?" Collins knows she can't do anything until the person in the big chair says so, but man, she is itching to shoot something.

  3. #103
    Pleonast's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Fujishiro keeps careful track of all escape pods. If any is in imminent danger, she will use a tractor beam to push or pull it out of the way. She also requests permission to begin subspace and radio jamming of all three Orion ships.

  4. #104
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Dr. T'Var remains on the Bridge at her station, but would rather be in Sickbay. She has observed her crewmates on the Bridge and is impressed with how they've handled this demanding situation. T'Var knows that Sickbay will call upon her if needed. Still, she feels as a physician, her place is in Sickbay, not on the Bridge.

    T'Var allows herself a small sigh as she continues to monitor the panels at Life Sciences.

  5. #105
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Pourtash frowns when the ship shudders, knotting his brows together in concern, though he knows the shield is fine for the moment.

    "Begin firing. Focus as much damage on O2 as possible. Mr. Cooper, begin evasive maneuvers. Lure the Orion ships away from the escape pods if we can to give us a clearer attack. Make it so, Mr. Fujishiro."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  6. #106
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins lobs 3 photon torpedoes at O2 and fires the main phaser bank 2 seconds later. She also looses phaser fire at O1.

  7. #107
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    Collins hits O2 twice and the Orion warship takes modest damage; its shields are down 17%. O1 is hit once by the Yorktown's phaser fire and seems unscathed. Both ships return fire at once and jostle the heavy cruiser badly, but her shields are degraded only by 6%. On the Bridge, you are all just able to keep your seats. O1 and O2 are now moving into an envelopment pattern. Pourtash sees that one or the other will be able to fire and have you in range no matter where you go, if you stay anywhere near the Hegar's Pride.

    Cooper nevertheless coordinates evasive maneuvers with Collins so that her aim is not affected.

    Despite Collins's and Fujishiro's best efforts, two of the escape pods are at the edge of the blast radius of one of the photon torpedoes and are destroyed before Fujishiro can use the tractor beam to move them. She was unable to scan them in the few seconds before Collins fired to see how many people, if any, were in them. Six more escape pods are ejected moments later. Delaney sees that a warp core breach on the freighter is likely within five minutes.

    O3 has reversed course and is now slowly inbound.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05 Nov 2011 at 12:55 AM.

  8. #108
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    If O3 is within weapons range, Collins will fire on that ship as well; otherwise, she continues her barrage on O1 and O2

  9. #109
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,923

    Default

    "Sir, we are out of time, I strongly suggest again we destroy O2 with all weapons at our disposal. Then turn on O1 and manuever while doing so near the freighter. Her Warp Core needs to be beamed out into space to minimize casualties, we can do nothing to help them while in this fight. Don't waste a shot on O1 until O2 is done."

  10. #110
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    T'Var is quite concerned for the remaining escape pods and those inside. "Mr. Delaney is correct," she tells Pourtash in a forceful tone. "We must do whatever is necessary to end this now.

  11. #111
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "Agreed, but we also have to balance tactics with not murdering everyone we're here to rescue," Pourtash responds.

    "Mr. Collins, fire five photons simultaneously on O2. I want to get their shields down as quickly as possible. Mr. Fujishiro, have you been able to jam communications between the Orion ships? If so, priority one is now keeping the escape pods safe."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  12. #112
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    "Aye, aye!" Collins exclaims as she complies.

  13. #113
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    It would be Communications Officer Soerjosoemarno's task to jam the Orion transmissions; he begins doing so immediately.

    The Yorktown can fire two photon torpedoes at a time at eight-second intervals. To carry out Lt. JG Pourtash's orders, Collins quickly sets the fuses of five torpedoes to detonate simultaneously on O2, and fires two, then another two, and then one. The torpedoes race towards their target and strike home in a massive explosion. O2 is hit hard; Fujishiro's scans show its shields are down to 22%, and there are preliminary indications of severe structural damage. It returns fire, however, and momentarily breaks through the Yorktown's aft primary hull shields; a hull breach is reported on Deck 8 aft. The ship lurches and Cooper is thrown forward against his Helm console, knocking the wind out of him; Collins can hear him rasping badly. Rangin is almost thrown from his chair but manages to hang on.

    O1 darts closer, trying to rake the Yorktown's starboard nacelle with phaser fire and badly weakening the deflector shield covering that arc. The ship shakes again severely, and the two Security guards are barely able to keep their footing. Delaney struggles to keep the shields up and to redistribute power as needed, but it's not easy.

    Another five escape pods are jettisoned by the Hegar's Pride. All are outside the torpedoes' blast radii but one, and Fujishiro deftly uses the tractor beam to pull it clear.

    O3 is still out of range but is now, Rangin sees with concern, increasing its speed as it returns to the area. It will be within weapons range in less than two minutes.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05 Nov 2011 at 11:33 PM.

  14. #114
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    T'Var rushes to Cooper's side immediately and begins to administer whatever first aid she can from the Bridge.

  15. #115
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,923

    Default

    Delaney works hard to reinforce aft primary hull shields. Also makes a mental note to recommend installation of 4 point safety belts to be used at least during combat. Can I reroute power from non essential systems to the shields?

  16. #116
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Is there someone already on the bridge who can temporarily take over for Cooper while he recovers, or is Pourtash the only one? If there is no one and he isn't immediately appearing to recover, Pourtash will call for relief for the Helm. If there is any delay expected and no one else on the bridge can relieve him and relief appears necessary, Pourtash will temporarily take the Helm. Whichever is most logical to not make them sitting ducks.

    "Mr. Collins, another simultaneous blast with four photons this time."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  17. #117
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins already has the next barrage primed before the words even leave Pourtash's mouth. She repeats the firing sequence. Out the corner of her eye, she sees the new doctor tending to Ben, and tells herself he'll be fine.
    Last edited by anyrose; 06 Nov 2011 at 08:12 PM.

  18. #118
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    Dr. T'Var has her medkit with her, of course, but finds that all Cooper needs at the moment is to lie down and have the chance to catch his breath.

    Delaney can and does reroute power from non-essential systems to the shields.

    Pourtash decides to take the Helm himself, which is the most direct solution. He is, after all, the most capable person on the Bridge at that post, with the possible exception of Leventhal, who already has his hands full at Navigation.

    As ordered, Collins fires another barrage of four torpedoes at O2. Just as she does so, the Orion ship looses another phaser salvo that now knocks down the Yorktown's aft primary hull shields entirely and claws at the ship itself, opening two more large hull breaches, another on Deck 8 and one on Deck 9. The ship again shakes badly, and several overhead panels around the Bridge spit out fat, white-hot sparks that, fortunately, injure no one. Power has now been lost on both decks, and Soerjosoemarno has multiple reports of casualties.

    The Yorktown's torpedoes then strike home and O2 explodes in a massive fireball that unfortunately takes two of the freighter's lifepods with it before Fujishiro can react.

    O1 is not going away. It again rakes your starboard nacelle with phasers at close range and it, too, breaks through the shields this time. The Yorktown heels sharply to starboard. Delaney's warp drive status indications go bright red and he sees that the nacelle has been very badly damaged.

    O3 will be in weapons range in 43 seconds, and Collins sees, on long-range scan, three other ships appear in Orion space, now at extreme range but inbound. She assumes the worst, runs a quick-and-dirty tactical analysis and sees that, just with O3's return, the odds are starting to tip dangerously against you. Withdrawal might be our best option, the thought comes unbidden into her mind, but what about the freighter's survivors?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Nov 2011 at 12:35 AM.

  19. #119
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    "Rest easy, Mr. Cooper," Dr. T'Var says.

    T'Var contacts Sickbay to check on the situation there and whether her status has changed. Is she needed in Sickbay now?

    "Mr. Pourtash, withdrawal at this point may be necessary, though we should wait until that option is the only one. Perhaps we should send out a distress call to any Starfleet vessels who could come to our assistance."

  20. #120
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    "Sir," Collins speaks hastily to Pourtash, but loud enough for the whole bridge to hear, "before we retreat, we need to rescue as many of the Hegar's Pride's crew as possible. we've lost too many already. I will continue firing on the Orion ships within range, try to buy us some time, but with the damage we've already taken, we are no match for the advancing fleet."

  21. #121
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,923

    Default

    Delaney is calling for casualties and damage control reports, rerouting power and all other SOP procedures for such terrible events.

  22. #122
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "What is the ETA on the ships following O3? If we disable O1 and O3, would there be enough time to bring the others on board before the new ships arrive? We can't lower our shields to bring them on board while under attack."

    "Mr. Collins, photons on O1. Keep them in rapid succession, so we don't find ourselves caught between two able-bodied ships."

    "Agreed, Dr. T'Var." Pourtash orders a distress call sent out.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  23. #123
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    Nurse Perry sounds harried over the comm. She quickly tells Dr. T'Var, "We have our hands full, ma'am, but we're keeping up. Dr. Villa says you should stay there until further notice. Sickbay out."

    Collins opens fire on O1, which seems to be better-piloted than O2 and avoids being hit except for two glancing blows that do no apparent damage. O3 has now come into weapons range and begins firing its phasers on the Yorktown, but misses.

    Due to EM interference in the immediate vicinity from the explosion of O2, the firing thus far, and what he suspects may be Orion sensor countermeasures, Rangin cannot be sure that the other three inbound ships are actually warships, or even Orion, although it seems likely they are both. They'll arrive in just under an hour at their current speed.

    Another seven escape pods tumble free of the Hegar's Pride, one after another, and Fujishiro uses the tractor beam to nudge them clear of Collins's fire. Delaney sees that the freighter's warp core breach could be just seconds away. The Yorktown is at present in no such danger, although the stability of her warp field is iffy, given the damage to the starboard nacelle.

    Soerjosoemarno hesitantly asks Pourtash, "What do you wish to say in the distress call, sir? Or would you rather I just activate the automated signal?"

  24. #124
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Is the Yorktown a safe distance from the Hegar's Pride and the warp breach? What of the escape pods?

    To Soerjosoemarno, Pourtash responds, "We are under attack by two Orion warships and more may be on the way. We are on a rescue mission for the freighter Hegar's Pride. We might as well give the basic facts, should they influence the response."

    Pourtash orders Collins to continue firing on O1. He'll engage in what evasive maneuvers he can without jeopardizing her shots.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  25. #125
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins targets O1's communication array. "If I can only do minimal damage to that %@$&^$ing ship" she thinks to herself, "then it's enough to cut them off from the others."

  26. #126
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    The Yorktown is a safe distance from the Hegar's Pride, given Delaney's projections of its likely explosive yield. About two-thirds of the lifepods also are at a safe distance now. Several more spill out, for a total of 18 now between your ship and the stricken freighter.

    A grim-faced Soerjosoemarno begins his distress call transmission, and sets it to repeat. Knowing of Starfleet dispositions in the sector, he does not expect an immediate response.

    Collins lands a solid hit on O1, but cannot be sure if she hit its comm array. The wicked-looking small warship turns, fires back but strikes only a glancing blow. Your shields hold. However, O3 also fires moments later, and hits the Yorktown's already-hit starboard warp drive nacelle, damaging it a little more. Pourtash remembers that, unless the Yorktown has both nacelles functional, she will not be able to go any faster than Warp 3. This would be slower than the typical Orion pirate ship, and perhaps eliminate any chance of escaping with survivors from the freighter.

    The ship rocks again as O3 lands another hit.

  27. #127
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins lobs another barrage at O1, then immediately fires on O3. She's tapping panel buttons like a frustrated late twentieth century end user on a dial up connection.

  28. #128
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    "How are you feeling, Mr. Cooper?" Dr. T'Var asks. "Are you well enough to take the Helm once again?"

    T'Var hopes Cooper is ready to resume his duties on the Bridge so that Pourtash can focus on Command.

  29. #129
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    Cooper, rubbing his chest, wheezes a little as he says, "Yes, thank you, Doctor. I think I can resume my post, if Mr. Pourtash would like me to." The acting commanding officer hears this.

    Collins misses O1, but hits O3 squarely with a tricky shot just as the Orion pirate vessel passes aft and below the Yorktown. O3 explodes in a massive ball of charged plasma, flinging wreckage in every direction. It is close enough, unfortunately, that the tumbling debris passes through the Yorktown's shields and badly pockmarks the secondary hull, opening numerous hull breaches. Over the open comm channels at Soerjosoemarno's post, you can all hear screams, cries for help, computer warning tones and the urgent reports of damage control teams from belowdecks. Two escape pods from the freighter are also destroyed by the fast-expanding cloud of superheated debris; Rangin's scan moments earlier indicated that those pods were carrying eight and ten people, respectively.

    Fujishiro sees that the long-range sensor array is now down. She has no readings for the three vessels approaching from Orion space, or indeed anything beyond about seven AUs. The tractor beam controls are offline, apparently also due to debris impact damage.

    O1 fires several times at the Yorktown's starboard primary hull but can't break through the deflector shields, which Collins reports are now down to 45%.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11 Nov 2011 at 01:21 AM.

  30. #130
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins continues firing on O1, and begins firing on 4, 5, and 6's last know positions.

  31. #131
    Pleonast's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    344

    Default

    "Sir, we've lost long range sensors and tractor beams!" promptly states Fujishiro.

    With the tractor beam and long range sensors out of commission, she concentrates on using the remaining sensors to maintain situational awareness. Tracking the Orion vessels and their weapons are the highest priority, but she keeps a careful watch of where the escape pods are going. Maybe run a few trajectory projections to find the course that minimizes the recovery time of the pods' passengers.

    She hopes the transporters are still functional, it won't be easy flying a shuttle among the debris to pick up the survivors.

  32. #132
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,923

    Default

    Delaney works on shields & sensors as priority.

  33. #133
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "Mr. Collins! Do not fire blind on unidentified ships. Focus everything we have on O1. If we don't get it down now, it won't matter who arrives an hour from now."

    Pourtash gives the Helm back to Cooper gratefully.

  34. #134
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    T'Var returns her focus to Life Sciences while keeping an eye on Cooper. Even though he seems to be recovered, she wants to make absolutely sure of that fact.

  35. #135
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    "Aye, sir." Collins resumes her barrage on O1. To herself, she thinks "so much for being proactive..."

  36. #136
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    O4, O5 and O6 (if they are ever designated as such) are still well out of range of ship's phasers, Lt. JG Collins immediately realizes.

    Lt. JG Pourtash yields the Helm to Cooper and takes the command chair again. Dr. T'Var sees that Cooper seems to be OK.

    Lt. JG Delaney directs damage control teams to focus on bolstering shields and restoring long-range sensors, and does what he can from the Engineering station on the Bridge. He knows it's going to take awhile.

    However, the Yorktown's transporters are still functional, Lt. JG Fujishiro confirms. She tracks the 16 remaining escape pods. Delaney detects a massive energy surge aboard the Hegar's Pride just seconds before the freighter's warp core breaches in a colossal explosion. It is farther away from the Yorktown than O3 was, and the debris cloud does no damage. Ens. Rangin's last garbled scan indicated about 70 people remained aboard the freighter, either killed, wounded or trapped.

    You and O1 trade shots but do no damage to each other for the moment. O1 apparently has a very skillful pilot and is quite hard to hit.

    Remember, you don't need to repeat to the rest of the Bridge what your character detects or learns. It's a given that you would be reporting aloud as events unfold, just as on the show ST:TOS, unless you tell me otherwise.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11 Nov 2011 at 10:54 PM.

  37. #137
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Pourtash hisses softly through his teeth. There's no time for mourning or guilt for the ones who were lost, though, until some can actually be said to have been saved.

    "Keep firing on O1, Mr. Collins. If nothing else it keeps them maneuvering to avoid the photons. Does anyone have any suggestions for neutralizing O1? We have the advantage in firing power, but we have to hit them first."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  38. #138
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,923

    Default

    Delaney offers, "Play chicken, our front shields are solid, try to set a ramming course, come in as close as possible and fire all phasers and torps, then blast into warp and pull away fast. Give us 30 seconds to drop rear shields if O3 is not in position by the surprise and beam aboard as many in need of rescue as possible in the brief time we should have in the unexpected attack."

  39. #139
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins continues the barrage, but wishes there was a way to put a little English on the torps. It'd be like picking up a 4-6 spare.

  40. #140
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Pourtash considers Delaney's suggestion. With the damage to their starboard warp drive nacelle, would attaining the speed for that still be possible and safe?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  41. #141
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    T'Var sighs softly at her station. She has listened closely to the back and forth discussion of the current situation and possible solutions.

    She says to Pourtash, "There are times when great risk brings great reward. We must try to rescue as many as possible -- even though this will pose quite a danger to ourselves and the ship. We cannot wait for assistance. There is no time to waste."

  42. #142
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    O1 fires a spread of four torpedoes, two of which hit the Yorktown hard on her port side. The ship heels over terribly to starboard, and you're all sent sprawling from your seats. Artificial gravity fails for just a second or two before resuming; the lights dim briefly before slowly coming back up to full intensity. Power is now out to a half-dozen decks, and casualty reports are pouring in. You each clamber back into your seats - no one was hurt on the Bridge, fortunately. Delaney now sees that all portside deflector shields have collapsed; starboard shields are holding at 31%. He runs a quick simulation of his proposal and is not too surprised to learn that it has an approximately 40% chance of ripping off the starboard nacelle entirely. Rangin and Fujishiro review his work and agree with the projection.

    Collins lands just one hit on O1, but it does not seem to have caused any serious damage to the Orion pirate. Then, for a second time, she has a sudden, inexplicable intuitive flash that something about the situation in which she finds herself is just... wrong.

    Soerjosoemarno, his voice strained, says to Pourtash, "Still no response to our distress call, sir. I have to disagree with the doctor. I recommend immediate withdrawal."

    Leventhal says at once, "Sir, I concur. We can't be sure our own ship will survive this battle, let alone assist the freighter's survivors." Pourtash has the impression that the young German officer was waiting for someone else to recommend withdrawal before speaking up himself.

    Cooper says fiercely, "I disagree. We can't leave all those people behind in the lifepods. Our lives aren't worth a damn compared to our duty to the survivors."

    Another lifepod is lost to one of O1's missed torpedoes, leaving 15 still in near space.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Nov 2011 at 01:41 PM.

  43. #143
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,923

    Default

    "Sadly, I must agree, withdrawal is now our only option. The crew of the Yorktown is now in serious danger. The ship is compromised."

  44. #144
    Pleonast's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    344

    Default

    "What's are the maximum sustainable warp speed we can currently achieve?" asks Fujishiro. "We may not be able to escape the Orions at this point, if they choose to pursue us rather than collect pods."

    After a short pause, "until we get long range sensors back up, we're at a strategic disadvantage."

    And then after a longer pause, in a soft voice, directed to Pourtash: "I'll support whatever decision you make, but I believe the commanding officer's first duty is to the ship and her crew."

  45. #145
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    Delaney, after reviewing updated damage reports and hull telemetry, believes the Yorktown could reach Warp 5 with a reasonable degree of safety, but Warp 4 or even 3 would probably be more advisable. According to Starfleet Intelligence reports, Orion pirate ships of this type are easily capable of exceeding those speeds.

    Artificial gravity fails again, this time for almost 20 seconds, before being restored. With your training, you all know how to stay in place and maintain your duty posts.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Nov 2011 at 01:47 PM.

  46. #146
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    Pourtash sighs heavily. None of the survivors of the Hegar's Pride will be helped anyway if the Yorktown itself is destroyed, but it's still not a decision that sits well on his conscience.

    "We must attempt withdrawal. Maintain at Warp 3 as we retreat. I imagine the odds of us being pursued are high, so be prepared. Continue our distress call." Is the Theta Raled system their closest possible point of finding assistance at this point?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  47. #147
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    "Sir," Collins continues firing at O1 as she addresses Lt. Pourtash, "Doesn't this situation seem odd to you? If we stay to rescue the remaining survivors of the Hegar's Pride, we risk being destroyed. If we retreat, not only are we still at risk, but we forfeit the lives of the freighter's crew and passengers. Call me crazy, but this whole thing is starting to feel like a test." She lobs more torps at O1. "Computer," when it respondes, she asks "Can yolisite be used in or as weaponry?" Collins turns back to Pourtash "because if not, why do the Orions want it so badly? Surely they have their own manufacturing protocols"

  48. #148
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,887

    Default

    "It could also be a trap simply to make it easier for them to take down ships patrolling here," Pourtash points out. "If we were the target rather than the Hegar's Pride, it would make more sense. I do agree it seems odd."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

  49. #149
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,695

    Default

    The Theta Raled system is indeed the nearest inhabited system, and it's a week away at Warp 3. But it has only a small Federation colony of approximately 15,000 people, with some mining, farming and light manufacturing. The shuttlecraft with the Captain and the other senior officers is to meet you there, but it has no other Starfleet presence. Starbase 37 is the nearest well-defended and -equipped repair facility. It's 24 days away at Warp 3, but could send ships to your aid much sooner when and if it receives your distress call.

    As earlier noted, the Hegar's Pride carried refined yolisite. The Library Computer whirs and says, "Yolisite is a caustic powder used in manufacturing on many worlds. It is not typically used in weaponry applications; there are other, more widely-available and better-suited substances."

    Cooper says, "Maybe the Orions didn't know what was on the freighter until they'd already attacked, or they just wanted to capture some hostages or slaves."

    O1 and the Yorktown again miss each other. Collins is starting to have problems with the targeting system.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Nov 2011 at 11:46 PM.

  50. #150
    I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Collins changes the setting from focused to medium wide spread. "They're going through an awful lot of trouble just for some cheap labor," she tells Cooper, "Surely they realize they're risking an out-and-out war with the Federation by destroying a Constitution-class ship." Until the targeting system fails completely, Collins will adjust the width of the spread accordingly.

Closed thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts