+ Reply to thread

Thread: Women finally get the vote

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Women finally get the vote

Saudi Arabia has finally put in force the ability for women to be able to vote and stand in elections. It is the last country to allow women the vote, other than Brunei where no-one has the vote. This is actually a major acheivement given how much repression is in the country towards women.

Given its oil rich status, I can't see how further reforms could be bargained out of Saudi Arabia.

Is this just a side effect of the Arab Spring or is this a possibility that further reform could come?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I was really happy to hear about this. Here in the West, when we talk about conservative Muslim countries, the focus is often on stuff like face veils, but I think that women having a voice in government is ultimately more important.

Of course, the country is still a monarchy, and they probably aren't getting rid of the creepy-assmorality police, but voting rights are a big, big step.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This is a good step, but I'm a bit wary of how much good it might do. Just because a group has voting rights on paper doesn't mean they'll be able to take advantage of those rights, as illustrated in the American South after Reconstruction. Or they can be induced to support things that could harm them, as illustrated in countries with female genital mutilation, where the practice is kept alive by women themselves.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

I'm curious as to how they will get to the polls.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Apparently Saudi women have been challenging the driving ban. The voting decree appears to be related.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How will they stop widespread voter fraud?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    How will they stop widespread voter fraud?
    As hands can be displayed, an ink mark on the finger is the usual method they use to show someone has voted.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wonder if this is in reaction to the change in voting from the hardline religious clerics. A female driver is to be given 10 lashes from a whip for defying the prohibition on women drivers. I have a feeling this is only going to exacerbate the situation rather than make women be afraid.

+ Reply to thread