+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Supernatural, Season 7

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Supernatural, Season 7

Didn't get around to opening the thread until now, largely because I forgot that tonight is the season premiere.

Hmm, maybe a bad sign.

Anyway, Castiel's God. What will happen?

Can't be anything bad, can it?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Bad things happening? On Supernatural? Now that's just crazy-talk, Rube.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well....

That wasn't very good, was it.

Castiel lasts one episode as God. OK, I'm fine with that, but they had to replace it with something stupider.

Castiel is the receptacle for a bunch of Lovecraftian old ones.

Which won't be smart enough to just kill the Winchesters right away either.

And Sam is going through more agony.

And Crowley is going to be doing more retarded King of Hell stuff.

And seriously, I guess nobody is left who care enough about those guys to stage an intervention, but wow, they drink a lot.

Anyway, what do others have to say?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I actually was quite entertained. I love Death. And was happy to see Lucifer.

That sounds weird.

Lovecraftian Old Ones are as good a big bad as any. I got the feeling that things are being taken less seriously than seasons past. In my opinion, this can only be a good thing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I actually was quite entertained. I love Death. And was happy to see Lucifer.

That sounds weird.
    But, in a good way!

I was amused by the episode, which is really all I tend to ask for in a TV show. So far, I'm optimistic.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

OK, I seem to have been in the minority about last week's episode.

Let's see what tonight's has to bring.

The description in my TV listings could have been used word for word for last week -- I hope there's some development.

And if there's no development, I hope that Dean at least eats a cheeseburger and picks up a couple of girls without either morals or underwear.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

God, when was the last time Dean picked up a girl?

I'm looking forward to this evening mainly because of my deep and profound love of Lucifer.

I mean Mark Pelligrino. Not Satan. Loving Satan is wrong.

Registered
    Feb 2009

...I'm looking forward to this evening mainly because of my deep and profound love of Lucifer.

I mean Mark Pelligrino. Not Satan. Loving Satan is wrong.
    Your lips say "No, No".....

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

But my desire to immolate my coworkers says yes, yes.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Dr. Monsterface"

Hee.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Anyway, Castiel's God. What will happen?
    Admittedly, I experience this show primarily over artifex's shoulder as we suckle at our respective laptops, but as far as I can tell, Castiel's signature trait is that he eyefucks people with the intensity of a supernova. Perhaps now, the difference will be that people will actually catch pregnant from his eyebeams.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Unfortunately, Castiel ended up pregnant with Leviathans, and then he kind of melted into a reservoir.

Then Dean was left with nothing but a sad, soggy trench coat.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Every time a human character in Supernatural busts out the Latin, I feel as though I'm watching Ghoulies again for the first time.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

OK, still not convinced that Season 7 is a good idea, or we're going anyplace fun, but they are moving along.

Burning Bobby's place was a nice touch, they were hanging out there too much. It's a road show.

But what are they going to do? It took Yahweh himself to defeat Leviathan. Have the Hardy Boys finally met their match?

I'm thinking not. But I still say cirrhosis of the liver will get them before Ctulhu.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Unfortunately, Castiel ended up pregnant with Leviathans, and then he kind of melted into a reservoir.
    On the plus side, the appropriateness of "Black Water" is undeniable. I haven't laughed so hard since they pulled out "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" in the first season.

Have the Hardy Boys finally met their match?

I'm thinking not. But I still say cirrhosis of the liver will get them before Ctulhu.
    Truer words, my friend.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Everything is better with cheese!" Yes, Mr. Leviathan, you are indeed correct.

I have no sensible reason, but I already like this season about 20 times more than I did the last one.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm really not concerned about where things will go this season, and I think that's part of what I'm liking about it. I'm just having a hell of a time with how they're getting us there.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It does seem better, somehow. The Leviathans bring a focus that the scattered big bads of last season didn't. And constantly staying ahead of them gives a reason to be back on the road, where the boys are best.

Something that's bugging me a bit: compared to a lot of the critters they've faced, "Leviathan" is an ordinary word. Why do they all seem to have so much trouble with it?

Nice touches: Jensen's character watching "My Bloody Valentine, 3-D."

Sam being so unconcerned with food that he brings cake instead of pie -- it's all the same to him

Dean not eating cake when he wanted pie.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So tonight, an Egyptian god. Could be fun.

I can't remember, when Lucifer was wiping out the pagan deities last season, were there any Egyptians in the mix?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't remember either. There was Odin, Ganesha and Kali, Hermes, and the Chinese world-turtle guy ... I don't remember any Egyptians.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Funny bit of trivia. Next episode features James Marsters and Charisma Carpenter. This makes something like thirteen* Buffy/Angel series regulars or recurring guest stars** to appear on Supernatural.

*Only counting actors who appeared more than twice on at least one of the three shows. There's even more overlap if you count actors who have done a single episode of both franchises.

**Okay, a couple of them only had an episode on Buffy, then went on to multiple episodes on Supernatural.
    Last edited by Marsilia; 15 Oct 2011 at 01:41 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I've been watching Veronica Mars, and it's really funny to see Rufus as an English teacher and Jo as a preppy high school student who wears pink all the time.

Next week looks like goofy fun. Yay for fun!

Registered
    Mar 2009

I still chuckle at Mercedes McNabb (Harmony) and Amber Benson (Tara) playing vampires on Supernatural.

Registered
    Feb 2009

About the actual episode, "Defending Your Life" (little shout-out to a quite good Albert Brooks movie):

I dunno. Some nice bits, like Sam actually trying to be the lawyer he'd dreamt of being, but a bit too much back to the angst, I think.

Nice shout-out to the fans (at least Orual and me) as even Dean realized how long it had been since he'd picked up a girl, and tried to convince himself he was still up for it. And then, of course, he got kidnapped before he got any.

(BTW, how come bartenders and waitresses are so easy to pick up on TV? Doesn't fit my observations -- although I've met plenty who were happy to give the impression they were loose, and long as the tips flowed).

Really bad job of making a Vancouver suburb look like Dearborn Michigan -- I even noticed a red Canada Post truck driving by. (Although not as bad as Warehouse 13's attempt to pass Toronto's Union Station off as the Denver train station -- I've been in both.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

(BTW, how come bartenders and waitresses are so easy to pick up on TV? Doesn't fit my observations -- although I've met plenty who were happy to give the impression they were loose, and long as the tips flowed).
    You have to remember that Dean Winchester is freakishly good-looking. Normal rules regarding bartender pickups don't really apply.

Really bad job of making a Vancouver suburb look like Dearborn Michigan -- I even noticed a red Canada Post truck driving by.
    Yeah. My Dad lives in Dearborn; that was ... not. There is a sizable community of Egyptians in the area, though. I wonder if the writer knew that.

I found the episode kind of meh - Dean's Guilt is my least favorite character on the show. (How can he feel guilty about what's happened to Sam. He became all demon-blooded when he was an infant, because of their mom. His best friend in college was a demon who was making all the necessary preparations for the girlfriend-ceiling-fire dealieo. Also: Sam is an avatar of Satan.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

So tonight's the "Buffy" episode...hoping for the best.

Registered
    Feb 2009

OK. Not as happy about that episode as all that.

It was fun seeing James Marsters not being Spike, did a really good job I thought of playing a small time pillar of the community who also happens to be a centuries old witch. And, always nice to see Charisma Carpenter, even though she can't act any more than she ever could.

Story was a mess though. Hard to follow, disjointed, climactic battle at the witches' house that was trying for slapstick but ended up slipshod.

And worst of all, made the continuing storyline of Dean's Guilt (tm) pretty dumb.

He killed Sam's old friend because she was a monster who had killed and would kill again, even though she was killing out of need, has only killed lowlifes and had saved Sam's life. At the end of this episode, he drives out of Dodge, leaving behind two monsters who have killed, will kill again, and are killing ordinary, mostly decent, people. Maybe this is the point, and is supposed to be adding to Dean's Guilt (tm), but if so, it's not coming through.

Oh, and the Leviathans, that unstoppable force that it takes Yahweh to conquer? A witch can knock them down with a shrug.

O...kay.

Thoughts?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The cupcakes were gross. And I was a little vexed that I had to go to a hair appointment this morning.

I'm always happy to see James Marsters, and it seemed like he and Charisma were having fun.

As far as leaving the witchy couple to their own devices, I was trying to remember how they defeated witches in the past - mostly I was wondering if they had tended to have the assistance of demonic/angelic allies that they don't have any more. But you're right, it's definitely a weird compare/contrast with the Dean's Guilty Conscience Over Jewel Staite The Tragic Brain-Muncher issue.

And the Leviathan wasn't dead, just knocked out, so ... whatever. I'm not going to hold that TOO much against them.
    Last edited by Orual; 22 Oct 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You have to remember that Dean Winchester is freakishly good-looking. Normal rules regarding bartender pickups don't really apply.
    This may be the truest thing ever said. As much as I may complain about guys who hit on me at work, I would complain a thousand times less if they looked like Jensen Ackles.
    It was fun seeing James Marsters not being Spike, did a really good job I thought of playing a small time pillar of the community who also happens to be a centuries old witch. And, always nice to see Charisma Carpenter, even though she can't act any more than she ever could.
    The thing I really can't hate Charisma Carpenter for is that I've never seen her not play Cordelia Chase. Regardless of where I've seen her (she was recently in an episode of Burn Notice), she is playing the same character. But, unlike some other performers who do that--:coughs:Kristen Stewart:coughs:--Charisma's One Character is just so damn much fun, I can't fault her for it at all.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That? Was hilarious.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, that wasn't much of a pay-off to the big Dean's Guilt (tm) story line.

And as my wife commented, they never burn the right bones the first time, why haven't they learned to stay around and check?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Then the show would only be a half-hour long.

I hate their new horrible ugly car. It is an affront to the eyes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The new car seems to be staying. I wonder what led to that. I mean, if the obvious idea that two guys who are constantly committing crimes shouldn't always drive the same distinctive car is all there is to it, it seems kind of late in the day to worry about it.

Anyway, tonight's episode was kind of amusing, although spoiled for me by Crowley showing up. He was an amusing episode or two character, but the writers are way too in love with him.

Otherwise, a fair bit of fun, although in a giving up, hacky way, as shown by the title.

"Liked" (meaning was interested by, didn't actually like so much) how they made sure they indicated that the newly-weds had never consummated, so they wouldn't get caught up in the "how come women raping men gets played for laughs" debates that would have otherwise surely followed.

Really, not much else to say. I'm trying to find a good line from tonight, at least one that hasn't been recycled from a million other shows, and am not having much luck.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I liked Crowley and nerdy-hunter-guy, but Becky the Fangirl makes me want to crawl out of my skin and/or set myself on fire.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Is it going to be a running gag, Dean is picking up sluts again, but something always happens before the deed is done?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Is it going to be a running gag, Dean is picking up sluts again, but something always happens before the deed is done?
    Oh, I hope so!

Registered
    Feb 2009

So it's Season 7, and they're only getting around now to taking on the New Jersey Devil? How'd that happen.

What are the odds of Dean making some kind of dumb hockey joke?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not going to be able to watch this episode live, which is sad because I love the ones where they run around in the woods.

So it's Season 7, and they're only getting around now to taking on the New Jersey Devil? How'd that happen.
    They didn't want to rip off The X-Files? Maybe they will do a chupacabra episode too.

What are the odds of Dean making some kind of dumb hockey joke?
    95%

Registered
    Mar 2009

Is it weird that I'm excited that Dean got excited over a sammich? 'Cause, I'm excited that Dean got excited over a sammich.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Also: The Rise of Dick. Really?

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, the New Jersey Devil was a mislead, and it was actually a leviathan episode. OK, that was kinda clever. And no hockey joke...maybe the writers figured that not enough of the audience would know anything about the NHL to get it.

"Rise of Dick" was kinda dumb for something that was actually providing much needed information, wasn't it?

OK, and the Doctor ate himself? Uh.... I really don't know what to do with that.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I finally watched the episode.

I think Dean should be stoned all the time.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Funny how being stoned makes him much easier to be around than the non-stop drinking, isn't it?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That was not an episode to watch while tired and doped up on cold medicine.

Registered
    Feb 2009

God, no.

I am still depressed.

Why do television writers love writing abusive, drunken fathers so much?

I bet most of them grew up in households where their dad went, "Follow your dream, buddy. After we go for ice cream, I'll give you some money to go to California and get started in show biz."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

HEY RUBE. DON'T FORGET THERE'S A NEW EPISODE ON TONIGHT.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Was just coming in to post about it, thanks.

Hope they don't overdo the "Dick" jokes.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Just look at it this way: any time they spend making 'Dick' jokes means less time they have to devote to being drunk and depressed.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fair point.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Hey, the guest stars all survived the episode! It's a Festivus miracle!

+ Reply to thread