+ Reply to thread

Thread: Recognising Palestine?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Recognising Palestine?

Next week, the UN is going to be voting on the creation of the new state of Palestine. There is currently a large push by the USA and Israel to stop people voting for this, though it would anger any Arab allies the USA had, if they stopped this act of self-determination while supporting those in Egypt and Libya.

The main issue is over the new boundary, which the Palestinians insist must be on the pre-1967 boundary and Israel would never go for it. It has gone as far as the USA saying it would veto the proposal should it go to the security council.

So should the UN recognise Palestine as its own independent state? Should the USA use its veto?

And if it was recognised, what are the likely implication of the new split state and the rest of the Middle East?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm actually rather disturbed by the idea of the US using a veto on this. Whatever decisions are made and whatever outcomes occur, I don't think it's America's place to be pushing their weight around here.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Wait, I thought that the US supported a two-state solution. What the fucking fuck.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd prefer a non-sectarian Republic of Isratine or Palesrael.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The biggest issue they are giong to have is going to be, yet again, the borders under which the countries are defined. They have only been arguing about them for the last 50 years. Somehow I don't see UN recognition as changing it, unless the UN was to actually lay down what the country borders were.

The other issue they are likely to have is that the Palestine organisations recognised as the general leaders are not really based in Palestine. If they are recognised as a formal state, al that will have to change and the local administration would have to take charge. Then you have the disagreements about which of the local organisations will be the true representatives.

It's heading for a clusterfuck both ways.

Registered
    Feb 2009

and the delegates are looking for a way for everyone to gain something without losing face. Politics at its finest.

+ Reply to thread