+ Reply to thread

Thread: I don't care what anyone says

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default I don't care what anyone says

... Titanic is a good movie.

It has Jack Bristow and the king of Rohan, for crying out loud.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Also DiCaprio and Winslet are very good actors even if the dialogue is super-cheesy.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It sucked and was made far worse by the soundtrack but I agree that in other movies DiCaprio and Winslet are very good actors.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"Jack!" "Rose!" "Jack!" "Rose!"

I have an intense love-hate relationship with this movie. I love the subject matter, I think the physical recreations of the time period, the ship itself, and the sinking are absolutely mind-blowing. The acting is really good, too. I don't even mind the made-up storyline and the cheesy dialogue. The thing that always bothers me about it is how heavy-handedly he dealt with the class differences and social change. It was all so cliche...even down to Rose and Cal's differing views of modern art. That part of it drives me crazy and makes me cringe....and this is actually one of my favorite time periods of history and a subject matter I'm usually enthralled by.

That being said, when I saw it on TV last night, I was compelled as usual to watch certain scenes. I love love love the one where Mr. Andrews realizes the ship is sinking. Brilliant.

ETA: And Jim is completely wrong about the soundtrack, but then we never ever ever agree about music.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 04 Sep 2011 at 12:19 PM.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

DP
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 04 Sep 2011 at 12:19 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't think it's fair to condemn the whole soundtrack for one horrible song that only played over the closing credits. James Horner has committed far worse orchestral atrocities.

Yes, the movie is cliched, historically inaccurate, and about as subtle as a freight train. Braveheart has the same flaws, but never gets nearly as much flack.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I like Braveheart and used to love it and I know the real history much better so that cannot be the reason for my dislike of Titanic.
    But Braveheart is an action flick more than anything else and it delivered so I think that is why it gets less flack.

I will admit my hatred of the soundtrack is tied directly to the shrieking harpy of the great white north. I hate Celine like few other musicians. So I am probably being very unfair to the rest of the soundtrack.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I liked the movie very much. The final scene, where
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    the youthful Rose is reunited with Jack and the other dead of the Titanic on the main staircase
    , is quite touching.

But I could certainly do without ever hearing that Celine Dion song again.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My biggest issue with it, is that there are much, much better films about the Titanic, both in terms of accuracy and acting than Cameron's cack handed portrayal.

As for Braveheart, it may not get flack in the USA, it gets a lot of flack over here.

Strangely enough, I don't mind the warbler and the theme tune as long as it doesn't have the video playing alongside.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Apr 2009

It's a bit of a crap sound but did the original Titanic soundtrack.

Later that summer Sissel was involved in recording the soundtrack to the film Titanic. The soundtrack reached #1 on the Billboard charts and sold more than 24 million copies worldwide. James Horner, the composer of the film's music, knew Sissel from her album Innerst I Sjelen and he particularly liked how she sang Eg veit i himmerik ei borg (I Know in Heaven There Is a Castle). Horner had tried 25 or 30 singers before deciding on Sissel.[19]

Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

+ Reply to thread