+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would you have Artifical Augmentations?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Would you have Artifical Augmentations?

Inspired by the Deus Ex game that's just come out.

Here's the setup. You can have parts of your body upgraded or augmented by technological replacements. So if you lose a part of you, you can have it replaced by something, stronger and better. Alternatively, you can have parts of yourself replaced anyway. An eye that can see sharper than normal and can send pictures of what you are looking at as a digital image to others if you wished. New legs that allow you to run faster, new arms to throw further, lungs that could enable you to breathe toxic air and not be affected, you get the idea.

The only downside is the aftercare. In order to keep these augmentations, you need to keep taking a specific drug otherwise your body will reject it and you would be left with a gangrenous mess where the item is attached to you. Miss a dose and after a few days the effects are irreversable.

So, would you go for it, do the benefits outweigh the risks for you, and if so what would you have upgraded?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jan 2010

I read the first paragraph and was going to say the obvious thing that a man would say, but then I read the second paragraph...

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Super Liver.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

lol, Zweedo and Aggie.

I am too chicken to have laser eye surgery to correct my vision, so I don't think this is for me.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It sounds slightly appealing in some ways, but the lifelong need for one specific drug is a pretty big drawback.

If it was to replace something that was already gone though, sure. Why not replace a lost leg with a super-bionic one? Or blind eyes with infra-vision and bonus super-zoom technology? But I wouldn't replace healthy parts with fake parts.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I wouldn't replace healthy parts with fake parts.
    You make a terrible Californian.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I do, I really do.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It sounds slightly appealing in some ways, but the lifelong need for one specific drug is a pretty big drawback.

If it was to replace something that was already gone though, sure. Why not replace a lost leg with a super-bionic one? Or blind eyes with infra-vision and bonus super-zoom technology? But I wouldn't replace healthy parts with fake parts.
    Seconded. And will my HMO promise to pay for the drugs forever and ever, honest and for true?

Registered
    Feb 2009

For me, it would probably depend on how often you had to take the drug to stay healthy. If it was once a month I would probably consider it quite a bit. If it was every day, then I'd probably forget.

Good news is that in the UK, we could get it on the NHS, if it was considered necessary

As for what to replace, anything broken probably.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, my eyesight sucks so I might consider having my eyes replaced, as long as there was virtually no danger of ever running out of supplies of the necessary maintenance drug.

However, I'm not sure. This probably won't make sense to you unless you are similarly afflicted with extreme nearsightedness, but ... as a result of my myopia, I essentially have "microscopic" vision and I don't want to give that up. It's not really the same as a microscope, of course, but if I do not use corrective lenses, and I hold any object close enough to my eyes, I can see it in a way that is completely impossible with regular eyes. For example ... in Egypt, a lot of the rocks lying around have miniscule fossils embedded in them, but people with ordinary vision can't see most of them. I , on the other hand, can get a good look at the tiny critters embedded in the rock.

Our neighbor was a geologist and he was REALLY jealous of that ability.

On the other hand, I guess I could specificy that my "augmented" eyes would allow me to keep that ability as well as see sharply for regular activities. So I'll go for it!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, having vision like that must be both awesome and completely rotten at the same time.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Wow, having vision like that must be both awesome and completely rotten at the same time.
    The rotten part is that if I look at my skin in a mirror, I can see pores like you wouldn't believe.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hatshepsut View post
    The rotten part is that if I look at my skin in a mirror, I can see pores like you wouldn't believe.
    I don't know if my myopia is as bad as yours, Hatshepsut, but I'm going to tell myself it is whenever I start obsessing over my dermatological issues.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hatshepsut View post
    I don't know if my myopia is as bad as yours, Hatshepsut, but I'm going to tell myself it is whenever I start obsessing over my dermatological issues.
    Yes, Hattie has just convinced me that I'm the only one who can see my pores. Yay!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Having spent yesterday looking over pictures of phalloplasty surgeries for an article I was writing, I find myself feeling a little light-headed at the prospect of any major surgery.

Other people can be augmented. I'll be dull, slow and blessedly unenhanced.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    pictures of phalloplasty surgeries

At this point we need a Dr. Frankenstein smiley

Caged User
    Registered
    Dec 2011

veronica hearst did this thing...

+ Reply to thread