+ Reply to thread

Thread: Has profanity lost its impact?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Has profanity lost its impact?

While wandering around the other day it was hard to ignore the large amount of profanity that seems to be more common than not these days. Most loud conversations between people seemed to use swearing as punctuation more than anything else.

I was beginning to wonder what these conversations would sound like without the cursing and then realised that in modern conversation they are passing unnoticed or were just descriptive adjectives.

10 or 20 years ago and anyone using that kind of language would have been the exception, now its the rule. Have people forgotten how to swear or is now just the norm.

And if you use profanities all the time, how do you swear when you really mean it?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Fuck if I know.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't habitually swear. My verbal sins tend more twords using 'like' and 'um' too much.

People who use profanity all the time tend to just sound dumb/uneducated to me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    People who use profanity all the time tend to just sound dumb/uneducated to me.
    I really feel the same way, but it does become kind of a habit after a while. I hear it, it sinks in, and suddenly "um" has been replaced by "fuckin'," until I decide to step back and try to be more conscious of the words I use. I think it helps that most customer service jobs have pretty strict language policies. I couldn't imagine talking to a customer the way I'd talk to a friend.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Like fuck it is.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I hear it a lot more just when I pass by people on the sidewalk - loudmouths and jerks, almost by definition. People yammering on cellphones tend to do it. But it's no more common in bars, restaurants, workplaces, etc. than it was a decade or two ago, I'd say.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Profanity is ubiquitous here. People of all ages swear like sailors, in public and private.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I try hard not to swear as I was a sailor and couldn't complete a sentence without dropping at least one F-Bomb when I first got out. I am very good about on the Internet and it makes the rare times I curse more effective for those that know me. IRL, I do very well at work but slip far more in casual situations then I like.

I think generally cursing is very common now, I would say younger people, below 25, swear like sailors now.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Earlier today, I was trying to help a man connect to his wireless with his Nook. He was retired military, in his sixties, I'd say. He dropped a few swear words in reference to the device and immediately apologized. I was impressed, since I usually don't get apologies when people swear in my presence. I assured him it was okay, not because I'm half his age and more used to the language, but because, "My daddy's retired Army and does the same thing."

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've come to the conclusion that, for me, most profanity has lost all its fucking impact. However, there are a couple of words or phrases that still catch me off guard every time I hear them, no matter how ubiquitous they might be.

+ Reply to thread